Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-08-2012, 09:09 PM #1072
Rampager2000
-Voted best Avvy 2011 <3-

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinny2559 View Post
Elantra may get better mileage (not by much at all though). But the Mazda wasn't rated the second best car manufacturer this year (by Consumer Reports) for no reason. I own a manual 3 (2.5) and it's a GREAT car to drive, probably one of the best I've driven for around $20K. The chassis is incredible, car is responsive, and the interior is sporty as can be for a car in that price range.
You must have missed the point I was making..

I said the Elantra would get better mileage, but would be slower. The Mazda would be faster, but with a loss of mileage.

I like Mazda. I also like Hyundai. It wasn't about which was better, I was trying to point out they were each just a little different and, ignoring looks or interior or exterior looks, there's a functional differences between the two.

OGPT: It's Not Rocket Surgery
Rampager2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2012, 12:55 AM #1073
spinny2559
just missed 2k4

spinny2559 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampager2000 View Post
You must have missed the point I was making..

I said the Elantra would get better mileage, but would be slower. The Mazda would be faster, but with a loss of mileage.

I like Mazda. I also like Hyundai. It wasn't about which was better, I was trying to point out they were each just a little different and, ignoring looks or interior or exterior looks, there's a functional differences between the two.
With the new Skyactives, I think the 3 can have better mileage than the Elantra. I have a 2.5 without Skyactive and without pushing it I can get 35 highway, I can only imagine what kind of mileage the Skyactive gets.

I think both cars fall into entry-level small-midsize sedans, and unless one is getting a bare bones model I honestly don't know why anyone would pick the Hundai. Unless of course that person simply likes the car better. Hundai is stepping up their game, but Mazda definitely takes the cake.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:09 AM #1074
Rampager2000

My moms Sonata can get high 30s highway, and the Sonata is more of the car to compare to the Mazda 3. Again, the Elantra has more bang for the buck, gets better mileage, and has a much better warranty. Both have similar interiors, the Mazda 3 has a better exterior, and the Mazda 3 is faster.

If he is comparing the Elantra to the Mazda 3, I'd imagine he's looking near base models.

It still comes down to what he wants in a car.

Upon further research, to crunch numbers here, I have a direct breakdown of the numbers between the two, assuming base model.

Elantra - 1.8l/148hp/40mpgh
Mazda3 - 2.0l/148hp/40mpgh

In other words, I was wrong. But, so were you. They make the exact same numbers in power and get an estimated same highway mileage. And at the same price range, he would be forced to get a 5 speed Mazda 3. Getting an automatic would push that up in price to be more expensive.

When you consider the warranty, the (IMO) better interior, and the same performance, both coming with USB (actually, the Hyundai has a plugin USB that charges it too...) the Hyundai is a better car. I personally like the looks of the Mazda more, but 100k miles bumper to bumper beats 60k miles.

Oh, and as per your reference of how good Mazda is a few posts back, check this page out with all the awards the Elantra has won. I will also post the Mazda link I was using for reference.

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicles/2013/elantra/
http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/conf...modelYear=2012

Last edited by Rampager2000 : 08-09-2012 at 01:11 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:14 PM #1075
folkloricjungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampager2000 View Post
My moms Sonata can get high 30s highway, and the Sonata is more of the car to compare to the Mazda 3. Again, the Elantra has more bang for the buck, gets better mileage, and has a much better warranty. Both have similar interiors, the Mazda 3 has a better exterior, and the Mazda 3 is faster.

If he is comparing the Elantra to the Mazda 3, I'd imagine he's looking near base models.

It still comes down to what he wants in a car.

Upon further research, to crunch numbers here, I have a direct breakdown of the numbers between the two, assuming base model.

Elantra - 1.8l/148hp/40mpgh
Mazda3 - 2.0l/148hp/40mpgh

In other words, I was wrong. But, so were you. They make the exact same numbers in power and get an estimated same highway mileage. And at the same price range, he would be forced to get a 5 speed Mazda 3. Getting an automatic would push that up in price to be more expensive.

When you consider the warranty, the (IMO) better interior, and the same performance, both coming with USB (actually, the Hyundai has a plugin USB that charges it too...) the Hyundai is a better car. I personally like the looks of the Mazda more, but 100k miles bumper to bumper beats 60k miles.

Oh, and as per your reference of how good Mazda is a few posts back, check this page out with all the awards the Elantra has won. I will also post the Mazda link I was using for reference.

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicles/2013/elantra/
http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/conf...modelYear=2012
Ahh, okay. But how does the Sonata compete with the Mazda 3 more? As far as I knew, the Mazda 3 and the Elantra were both compact sedans, where the Sonata would compete more directly with the Mazda 6 (family sedan)?

I would be looking at the highest (Limited and i Grand Touring w/Skyactiv), so it would be 148 v 155 HP, so a bit of a difference there
folkloricjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:12 PM #1076
DillonT
Do a wheelie!

DillonT is reppin' sidebar 4 life
DillonT has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
DillonT has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
selling/trading my 01 ranger for a better commuter vehicle.
want to have 4 door, roomy. good gas mileage. low miles. 7/8k maybe.
Suggestions?
DillonT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:14 PM #1077
IBleed Arbor
take that for data

IBleed Arbor owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Quote:
Originally Posted by DillonT
selling/trading my 01 ranger for a better commuter vehicle.
want to have 4 door, roomy. good gas mileage. low miles. 7/8k maybe.
Suggestions?
Olds Mazdas. Maybe look at some camrys or accords pre 06.
IBleed Arbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:16 AM #1078
bcelos
Broken gun association

bcelos plays in the PSP
bcelos owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
bcelos is an NCPA player
bcelos plays in the APPA D4 division
Looking to buy a new car. My max is about $11,000. Obviously looking for the newest with the lowest miles I can get. Something with good MPG as it will be my DD (V4 Probably) but also something that looks and drives very well.
AWD/4WD is a plus.

So far been looking at:

2005 Audi A4 1.8T Quadro Sedan - 85k miles - 11grand
2008 Mazda 3 I sport - 85k miles - 11 grand
2008 Volvo S40 2.4i - 112k miles - 11 grand
2008 Nissan Sentra 2.0 - 84k miles - 11 grand
2009 VW Jetta S - 67k miles - 9grand

I'm not a huge fan of Hondas/Toyotas even though I know they get the best MPG and I know everyone in here loves Subarus but it's hard to find a nice year impreza/legacy that isnt super high mileage in my price range.

So any opinions or other suggestions? I know cars like the Audi and VW are super expensive to fix but from that last im leaning towards the Audi, in particular because its AWD and very nice or the Volvo.

thanks

UConn Huskies NCPA Class A/NEXL D2
Geo 2 FST
bcelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:25 AM #1079
IBleed Arbor
take that for data

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcelos
Looking to buy a new car. My max is about $11,000. Obviously looking for the newest with the lowest miles I can get. Something with good MPG as it will be my DD (V4 Probably) but also something that looks and drives very well.
AWD/4WD is a plus.

So far been looking at:

2005 Audi A4 1.8T Quadro Sedan - 85k miles - 11grand
2008 Mazda 3 I sport - 85k miles - 11 grand
2008 Volvo S40 2.4i - 112k miles - 11 grand
2008 Nissan Sentra 2.0 - 84k miles - 11 grand
2009 VW Jetta S - 67k miles - 9grand

I'm not a huge fan of Hondas/Toyotas even though I know they get the best MPG and I know everyone in here loves Subarus but it's hard to find a nice year impreza/legacy that isnt super high mileage in my price range.

So any opinions or other suggestions? I know cars like the Audi and VW are super expensive to fix but from that last im leaning towards the Audi, in particular because its AWD and very nice or the Volvo.

thanks
Does the Audi have all major matinence done?
Old 08-16-2012, 08:30 AM #1080
bcelos
Broken gun association

bcelos plays in the PSP
bcelos owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
bcelos is an NCPA player
bcelos plays in the APPA D4 division
Not particularly sure. All these cars are located at major well known dealers, If that makes any differenece

UConn Huskies NCPA Class A/NEXL D2
Geo 2 FST
bcelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:51 AM #1081
IBleed Arbor
take that for data

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcelos
Not particularly sure. All these cars are located at major well known dealers, If that makes any differenece
I'd get the mazda
Old 08-16-2012, 12:49 PM #1082
Rampager2000

Idk I say mazda or audi.. Audi will cost more in long run though

Old 08-20-2012, 09:16 PM #1083
10splaya22
I don't play paintball

10splaya22 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
10splaya22 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
10splaya22 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
10splaya22 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
My step dad is looking for a new car for a around 6 months. He wants a sedan with pretty good gas mileage 25 city/30 hwy or around there. Drivetrain doesn't matter. He is looking to spend 15-18k. Navigation is a plus. And nothing more than 60k miles, closer to 40k would be great.

A couple ideas we had:
2011+ Sonatas (a little more than the price range with Nav)
G35 sedans
04+ Acura TL or TSX
Camry's and Accords

Just let me know what else you can think of in this price range. Probably want to stay away from Euro brands due to the maintenance aspect and that the car will most likely be out of warranty.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:23 PM #1084
IBleed Arbor
take that for data

Accord
Old 08-20-2012, 10:36 PM #1085
Rampager2000

We enjoy our Sonata. Get the 2.0t,if you go for it, though. The base model leaves a lot to be wanted.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:11 PM #1086
rdm3000
Slightly Removed

rdm3000 is a Supporting Member
Looking for a used car or truck or suv. Max 11 years old. I do not really drive that much unless I am going somewhere far away. Otherwise I ride my bike. I've put under 90k miles on my car in 7 years and I've driven 50k plus miles on road trips alone. If that gives you an idea of how important it is that I have a car that can drive long distances and not have to worry about breaking down.

I really do not know anything about buying a used a car as far as what to look for and what to watch out for.

I've been driving a 97 mercedes c230 for the past 7 years. I dont really feel like I need any more power than that.

I am looking for a vehicle with good gas mileage, something I can drive across the country and not have to worry about bull****. I'll have 4k cash to put down and finance 5k. Really there is no limit as to what I can finance but I just dont see the point in buying a car thats expensive because its going to loose most of its value within the first couple of years.

follow me on instagram @mrryanmckee

Last edited by rdm3000 : 08-25-2012 at 06:13 PM.
rdm3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:17 PM #1087
Rampager2000

Well you said 11 years old, but around 2004/2005/2006 you get a lot of modern looking cars that you can find in the 6-15k range that won't really lose too much value.

Mazda 3
Acura TL (will be a little nearer 12-15k though)
Honda Accord
Hyundai Sonata

I like all 3 of those, particularly looking into a 2004-2006 TL, the 2004-2006 hatcback Mazda 3, or the 2006+ Sonata.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:19 AM #1088
p8ballrr
CHACHI

p8ballrr plays in the PSP
p8ballrr is playing at Living Legends V
p8ballrr is for the Gunfight
p8ballrr plays in the APPA D4 division
p8ballrr is attending Decay of Nations VI
f. a. g.
p8ballrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:09 PM #1089
xPiZZeRx
Just Chillin'

Ok, I've been looking around for a used car and here are my guidelines going by Cars.com:

$0 - $13,000
70,000 miles or less
2004 and up
Automatic transmission
No drivetrain preference

I am leaning towards the Acura RSX, Audi A4 2.0T Quattro, and Volkswagen GTI 2.0T if possible.

Also considering other cars in that range like Mustangs (wouldn't turn down a 5.0 to give you an idea), Chargers, Lancers, and so on. Possibly a Civic or Accord, not sure.

I'm obviously looking for some power, looks, and a fun to drive vehicle.

A few questions...What do you think I should drop from those right off the bat? What else should I be looking at? What can I expect as far as maintenance on the Audi? Anything else important, thanks.

xPiZZeRx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:26 PM #1090
atomicbadgerman
bewb

I need a car. 4 door is a must, as I haz babby. Needs to be safe.

Auto/manual, don't care. Gas mileage isn't a huge concern, but I'd like it to be at least somewhat decent, i.e. high teens/low 20's city.

I'm looking in the 15-25k range, bearing in mind that I work at a stealership, and have access to auction pricing, so it's realistically in the 15-28k range. I'd like to keep it to around the 20 mark, but will splurge for something nice.

So far I've considered: G35/7, M35, Acura TL, older CTS-V, '13 ford fusion, or G8GT.

Just looking for some more ideas. I want a fun car to drive. Right now I'm in a nissan versa, which is an awesome car, but even with a 6 speed is boring as all get out to drive.

Current Car: Centrifugally Turbo-charged 2008 V4 ford.

Also, I have a stock Maxima. It runs 12's
atomicbadgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:44 AM #1091
behemoth
NLFTW

behemoth is reppin' sidebar 4 life
behemoth is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
behemoth is Legendary
10-15k budget
Manual
AWD