Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-17-2012, 11:18 PM #1
da oreo
New New

has been a member for 10 years
da oreo supports DLX Technology
Prometheus

Ridley Scott movie... my question is where does this fit in the whole alien universe. It looks like these aliens in this movie are strikingly similar to the dead creature in the space chair of alien 1.

After doing a little movie research... i believe this movie takes place as a prequel to Alien from 1979

Why?
1. - 1:38 - looks like alien
2. - 2:04 - nav chair from alien where the creature with the burst chest is found
3. - 2:04 - the picture of the alien with the snout in the chair

Now the proof that it is a prequel.
the 1979 Alien trailer shows.
Prometheus comes in the same exact line style that Alien forms in (watch both trailers and see)
:52 is the same exact ship
Same trailer background music

Anyone else excited! I loved aliens!

Last edited by da oreo : 03-17-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2012, 10:15 AM #2
danbob1088
succisa virescit

danbob1088 is a Paintball photographer
danbob1088 is an NCPA player
danbob1088 plays in the APPA D5 division
They've said its in the same universe but it won't be the same style story.

flickr
Old 03-18-2012, 06:10 PM #3
digitard
GregRedHastings.com

digitard works for a Paintball manufacturer
digitard is playing at Living Legends VIII
digitard has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
digitard is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
digitard is Legendary
They've said forever it's the same verse, but isn't a true prequel (As it wont lead directly into ALIEN & wont feature the Xenomorph).

It's centered on the Space Jockey, seen in the original on the crashed ship.

So at the most the tie will be the ship they find, and why it's carrying the face huggers.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:45 PM #4
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Ther's also already a thread in which all of this has been discussed already

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Old 03-18-2012, 08:53 PM #5
ElPanda
CAD/CAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post
Ther's also already a thread in which all of this has been discussed already
Old 03-18-2012, 09:04 PM #6
digitard
GregRedHastings.com

digitard is Legendary
I think the OP, or someone, deleted it. My guess is it got stuck in between those "DVDRIP" spam posts we get, and got accidently deleted.

It's not showing on a search, and last time I saw it there's no way it was past page 2 at the most (I believe it should be 1/2 way down page one most likely).
Old 03-18-2012, 09:25 PM #7
ElPanda
CAD/CAM

Yeah those damn spam bots hit this section hard a couple times a week
Old 03-19-2012, 01:06 PM #8
MDDJ

they back again and I am really excited to see this flic
Old 03-20-2012, 10:29 AM #9
jasper371
DatsunAholic

jasper371 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
jasper371 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
jasper371 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
jasper371 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
The Aliens franchise has been beat to **** with all the bad sequels and the AVP spinoff. What started off as a horror movie turned into an action movie. Hell, I'd classify Aliens as an action movie.

Nothing will ever top Alien for me. It is the perfect blend of sci-fi horror.

Prometheus looks like it's gonna be awesome though. I would honestly prefer it to not have anything to do with the Xenomorph, Facehuggers, or any of that stuff. I've seen enough chestbursters in my life.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:42 AM #10
KyIsBack
Flim Flam

Alien was a fantastic suspenseful horror movie and Aliens was a fantastic suspenseful action movie. Haven't seen the other ones. This looks promising.

POW
Old 03-20-2012, 11:52 AM #11
ElPanda
CAD/CAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper371 View Post
The Aliens franchise has been beat to **** with all the bad sequels and the AVP spinoff. What started off as a horror movie turned into an action movie. Hell, I'd classify Aliens as an action movie.

Nothing will ever top Alien for me. It is the perfect blend of sci-fi horror.

Prometheus looks like it's gonna be awesome though. I would honestly prefer it to not have anything to do with the Xenomorph, Facehuggers, or any of that stuff. I've seen enough chestbursters in my life.
Your in luck then because ridley scott is the one directing this and not james cameron or that french le douche that made that POS of a movie alien:resurrection

Ridley scott made alien, which was easily the best out of any of the series by far

He has also said this is not meant to be an alien prequel but a stand alone story, you will be able to piece quite a few things together from the alien universe from prometheus
Old 03-20-2012, 12:19 PM #12
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPanda View Post
Your in luck then because ridley scott is the one directing this and not james cameron or that french le douche that made that POS of a movie alien:resurrection

Ridley scott made alien, which was easily the best out of any of the series by far

He has also said this is not meant to be an alien prequel but a stand alone story, you will be able to piece quite a few things together from the alien universe from prometheus
Lets not forget the support that Ridley Scott had when making Alien. The artwork alone set the movie above and beyond everything else. As time went on, Giger's artistry had a lesser and lesser role in the movies, which changed the impact of the films dramatically.

I am a great fan of Ridley Scott, but in all honesty, I think it may be a bad thing to try and relate the success of Alien to the perceived chance of success for Prometheus. I'm going to go in and see Prometheus with little expectations in regards to the Alien franchise.

Now if only someone would start an AvP series based off the books...

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Old 03-20-2012, 09:03 PM #13
digitard
GregRedHastings.com

digitard is Legendary
Pretty much the only "tie" we will get is, in my opinion, the Jockey's themselves and I'm thinking the very last moments.

In the new preview they mention that they're going to destroy Earth or whatever. My thought is that tie that binds it all together will be the very end. We'll see the ship crashed on LV-426, and know that it was meant for Earth from whatever conflict we start in Prometheus. We won't see the face hugger pods, or the xenomorph, but we'll know that was the ship that started it all. You'll immediately recognize it as the one they find in Alien, and that's the bind.

That's it... the ship, and seeing the Alien in the chair (Space Jockey) race.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:54 PM #14
da oreo
New New

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitard View Post
Pretty much the only "tie" we will get is, in my opinion, the Jockey's themselves and I'm thinking the very last moments.

In the new preview they mention that they're going to destroy Earth or whatever. My thought is that tie that binds it all together will be the very end. We'll see the ship crashed on LV-426, and know that it was meant for Earth from whatever conflict we start in Prometheus. We won't see the face hugger pods, or the xenomorph, but we'll know that was the ship that started it all. You'll immediately recognize it as the one they find in Alien, and that's the bind.

That's it... the ship, and seeing the Alien in the chair (Space Jockey) race.
I'm thinking the ship is crashing because a. the humans bring it down or B. a baby xenomorph is popping out of the chest of the jockey.

because when they go to the ship in alien, the xenomorph has a giant hole in it's chest in the nav chair.

The resulting crash frees the xenomorphs or opens the container where all the pods are laid.

I guess if it's not a faithful prequel they dont need to go with either but thats my gut feeling (b). Part of the reason why planet of the apes was pretty successful was the fact that it had those little tid bits that put you into the universe and gave you background knowledge on how the world is taken over. I guess i'd like to know more about the xenomorphs background really.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:35 AM #15
digitard
GregRedHastings.com

digitard is Legendary
Neither of those are going to happen, and it will still be faithful. Ridley Scott has said that this isn't so much a direct prequel, but something existing in the same universe as Alien. Something that has that DNA that will tie it all together, but not need it and stand by itself.

The tie in to make it a true prequel simply needs to be the Space Jockey's, and references (such as the Weyland Industries tie in already existing, the Space Jockey as it's already featured in ALIEN, and some reason the SJ would create the Xenomorph).

First: Ridley Scott already said we won't see the Xenomorph. The movie stands alone, and by itself.
Second: It's a prequel in the sense it explores the Space Jockey we already saw in the chair which makes it cannon.

All they need to do, and probably will do, is show you the ship we already saw crashed in ALIEN and it's automatically tied together. If the ship was going to Earth, as mentioned in the most recent preview, then we know it never makes it there. Why it crashed on LV-426 we don't even have to know. We just know it didn't make it there, and it was carrying the Xenomorph for some reason to exterminate us.

We didn't shoot it down, or The Company (which you already know is what Weyland Industries becomes) would have known it was there before Ripley encountered them in ALIEN. In the Directors Cut of Aliens you find out that they colonized the planet AFTER Ripley's encounter, and knew about them being there from that (a missing part in the original release).

I think some people are going to be upset thinking we're going to see the Xenomorph, etc, but that's not what this movie is about. It's about this race that can create such a monstrocity, and why they did. It's completely stand alone, but it's got that Alien DNA and exists in the verse.

They'll toss us a bone so we go "Oh, so that's why the Space Jockey had the Xenomorph on the ship", and we'll probably see the ship before **** hit the fan and it crashed. That's all we'll see, though.

Last edited by digitard : 03-21-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:13 AM #16
da oreo
New New

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitard View Post
Neither of those are going to happen, and it will still be faithful. Ridley Scott has said that this isn't so much a direct prequel, but something existing in the same universe as Alien. Something that has that DNA that will tie it all together, but not need it and stand by itself.

The tie in to make it a true prequel simply needs to be the Space Jockey's, and references (such as the Weyland Industries tie in already existing, the Space Jockey as it's already featured in ALIEN, and some reason the SJ would create the Xenomorph).

First: Ridley Scott already said we won't see the Xenomorph. The movie stands alone, and by itself.
Second: It's a prequel in the sense it explores the Space Jockey we already saw in the chair which makes it cannon.

All they need to do, and probably will do, is show you the ship we already saw crashed in ALIEN and it's automatically tied together. If the ship was going to Earth, as mentioned in the most recent preview, then we know it never makes it there. Why it crashed on LV-426 we don't even have to know. We just know it didn't make it there, and it was carrying the Xenomorph for some reason to exterminate us.

We didn't shoot it down, or The Company (which you already know is what Weyland Industries becomes) would have known it was there before Ripley encountered them in ALIEN. In the Directors Cut of Aliens you find out that they colonized the planet AFTER Ripley's encounter, and knew about them being there from that (a missing part in the original release).

I think some people are going to be upset thinking we're going to see the Xenomorph, etc, but that's not what this movie is about. It's about this race that can create such a monstrocity, and why they did. It's completely stand alone, but it's got that Alien DNA and exists in the verse.

They'll toss us a bone so we go "Oh, so that's why the Space Jockey had the Xenomorph on the ship", and we'll probably see the ship before **** hit the fan and it crashed. That's all we'll see, though.

I think this trailer gives away a lot of information
Why?
1. - 1:38 - looks like alien (it looks like the xenomorph patterened on the wall. So maybe they are behind that door and the crash sets them free?)
2. - 2:04 - nav chair from alien where the creature with the burst chest is found and the alien is walking towards it.
3. - 2:04 - the picture of the alien with the snout in the chair
4. 2:05 - looks like a girl in a pod with a face hugger over her
5. 2:13 - human running away from ship as it fall down sideways which means that it is crashing and they are there

the 1979 Alien trailer shows.
:52 is the same exact ship fallen sideways!

Ok, so what i think is the story line from the trailers, information and previous movies.

They find signs/glifs of this alien species and a map leading to their location. For some reason this ship is stuck on this planet either because it crashed or it is dormant. When the people come upon the ship, they activate it and eventually the jockeys awake. The purpose of this ship is a vessel that harvests life across the universe or some doomsday biological lab thing. Either way one person gets infected by an organism on this ship (not a xenomorph) that transforms them. Hence the scene where one guy is jumping onto another from atop the burning ship in the cargo bay looks all alien (Trailer). It looks like the main "monster" is a creature that transforms you when you are infected. Then the people find out that the jockeys plan to go to earth to either harvest, or destroy or harvest and destroy and they mean to stop it. "hence the line we will not have an earth to come back to" They go about this by trying to bring down the ship and maybe a facehugger is set loose and infects the jockey. They try to escape from the ship after sabotaging it and it crashes sideways or the xeno is bursting from the chest of the jockey and it crashes. At this point there is probably only one person, maybe two left alive. The movie ends with the person "probably the main chick" goes into stasis and drifts into space ... as she is drifting off into space they pan back to the partly dead jockey in the nav chair as the xeno bursts from his chest. End movie. Either way i expect one chest burst scene at the very end of the movie.

now the reason why either one or two people escape or a ship transmission is due to the fact that the android in alien was programmed to capture the creature and bring it back. Wayeland finds out about alien by discovering the ship or a transmission and learning their story.
Again THIS IS MY HUNCH NOT FACT!!!
Old 03-21-2012, 01:49 AM #17
digitard
GregRedHastings.com

digitard is Legendary
The rumored plot synopsis from early drafts of the script is available on the net. I'm sure a few things changed, as Scott recently said that they started off going on way and ended up a bit of another, but it should give you some ideas of what they were going for.

From the trailers it appears that a lot of what was "rumored" is on the money.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:12 PM #18
paintballcole

I would like to add a few ideas:

Someone mentioned that it's possible one of the crew get's infected by an organism, as you see one guy jumping off a platform at someone else.

I think this may also point to another tie-in with the original alien, in that there is something of value that The Company decides they want, so there is a kind of "Ash" character like in the original (remember he tried to eliminate ripley so he could bring back the organism). Ridley Scott mentioned in an interview a few days ago that Charlize Theron's character is kind of a "company man" that acts on behalf of the company. He also said that Guy Pearce's Peter Weyland character is also in it to some degree.

I'm thinking maybe they discover something, like a biological organism, and someone (maybe Theron's "company man" character, or someone else) acts independently on behalf of The Company. As in, they lose communication (that's why Weyland Industries doesn't know about the Xenomorph prior to Ripley), but this person realizes the value of the organism and attempts to salvage it (didn't Burke do just this in Aliens. He attempted to sneak back an organism for the value of it, but not directly on company orders?).

There WILL be an obvious tie-in to Alien and Aliens, probably near the end. After all, there is a Space Jockey, the Space Jockey did have a burst chest. My guess is those things that look like alien eggs (but more cylindrical in the Prometheus trailers) house an organism that is the precursor to the Xenomorphs in the Aliens movies, but it doesn't change into that exact life form until it either infects a human or the Space Jockey (remember how the Alien was more dog-like in Alien 3 because it's host was dog, so maybe it changes into the xenomorph depending on what it's host is in this movie?).

Perhaps what comes from this movie, if a human or space jockey is infected, is a Queen of sorts. Remember, this IS obviously the ship in Alien and Aliens, and there are Xenomorph eggs that are ALREADY laid in the ship when the Nostromo and the colonists find it. I think that will be the tie in, at the end, either a queen or somehow the Aliens xenomorph is created, because the eggs are there in the Aliens series.

"Originally posted by .The_Walrus.: Neither, through an elaborate space time paradox, we are both now dating Wookies"
Old 03-21-2012, 07:18 PM #19
paintballcole

Also, I think the title gives a way a little bit maybe.

Prometheus. I think the xenomorph (or the precursor in this case) is some kind of weaponized biological organism, and the humans (or whoever acts on behalf of The Company, maybe Theron) attempt to steal it for that purpose. After all, this is EXACTLY why they wanted the xenomorph in the Aliens movies. Burke said something to the effect of "Do you realize how much money this is worth to the Bio-Weapons division?". As a result, I think the ship, as the characters mention in the trailer, heads for earth, possibly to punish human civilization for its transgression, for stealing a technology that doesn't belong to it and will obviously use for nefarious purposes.

"Originally posted by .The_Walrus.: Neither, through an elaborate space time paradox, we are both now dating Wookies"
Old 03-22-2012, 12:30 PM #20
jasper371
DatsunAholic

jasper371 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
jasper371 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
jasper371 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
jasper371 has achieved Level 4 in PbNation Pursuit
On a note about the "chestburster" thing in the trailer:

It looks more like a squid than a chest burster. Also, you see her walking around in a scene that is obviously after that scene where the squid is removed, chest intact. In the UK trailer, it looks like she has a large C-section scar. I'm thinking that it's an organism that was in her womb or something.

Squid babby

Edit: It will also be interesting to see who sets up the "distress" signal that comes from the SJ ship in Alien. The distress signal is later interpreted as a warning to stay away. I'm curious to know if it was an alien organism that made the message, or a member of the Prometheus crew.

Edit2: The above implies that this movie takes place on LV-426, which seems unlikely. It also implies that this is the same SJ ship.

Last edited by jasper371 : 03-22-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:50 PM #21
digitard
GregRedHastings.com

digitard is Legendary
It doesn't take place on LV-426, as the Prometheus travels further out via a black hole or whatever to get to the SJ planet. I was stating that we will see the ship seen on LV-426. I highly doubt we'll see LV-426 unless we see some type of accident with the ship, and then the camera pans out and you recognize it's definitely the one that crashed.

I do imply, though, that the ship seen crashed in both Alien and Aliens is going to be shown, to tie them together, which is likely as even Ridley Scott made a mention of one point fans will recognize a familiar ship.

It makes sense as we know from the current trailer that they head from the SJ location towards Earth, but obviously they never get there.