johnnybravo60025 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
johnnybravo60025 helped look for balloons
johnnybravo60025 has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
johnnybravo60025 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
johnnybravo60025 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by imhungry View Post
ive kept dwarf gourami with tetras on multiple occasions and never had an issue. granted my tanks were heavily planted and as far as gourami's go they have tiny little dangles.

badis badis are also pretty bad *** fish in pairs. they are kind of territorial but they are seriously cool.
Generally, Gourami are supposed to have long "feelers". Badies badis are very cool if you can get a group of females (Just to lessen the agression).
Advertisement
Old 09-18-2012, 11:20 AM #1283
imhungry (Banned)

i've done 1 male 1 female in a community tank as well with limited aggression problems. i also managed to get 2 males the first time i got one and it was bad news bears for a small tank.

i had minor aggression in the M+F combo when they were first introduced but after a couple weeks it subsided. it was mainly towards a raphael cat that occupied the little cave the one badis wanted. i added some more hidding spots and it was all good.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:25 PM #1284
imhungry (Banned)

i think i am officially the only person in the history of planted tanks to kill off their java fern. every other plant is doing fine, java fern eats ****. nitrate levels are good, ph and temp are good, the roots are not buried, it is getting sufficient light...rots out and dies...

well, it is not dead but its dying off fast. i am going to try tying it off to some drift wood and putting it in a higher flow area of the tank and hopefully it will recover

Last edited by imhungry : 10-02-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:17 PM #1285
johnnybravo60025
§(©¿©)§

Quote:
i think i am officially the only person in the history of planted tanks to kill off their java fern. every other plant is doing fine, java fern eats ****. nitrate levels are good, ph and temp are good, the roots are not buried, it is getting sufficient light...rots out and dies...

well, it is not dead but its dying off fast. i am going to try tying it off to some drift wood and putting it in a higher flow area of the tank and hopefully it will recover
Why don't you have the roots buried? It's always good to have the roots buried but don't bury too much past the roots.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:03 AM #1286
imhungry (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybravo60025 View Post
Why don't you have the roots buried? It's always good to have the roots buried but don't bury too much past the roots.
you want to keep the roots above the substrait for java's since they take most of the nutrients from the water column. they will rot out if you bury them (not always but its often why your java will start looking like ****). the java's i have in my other tank tied to drift wood w/ no substrait are doing great
Old 10-05-2012, 10:00 AM #1287
.OBEY.

With the top down screaming out, Money ain't a thang

Old 10-08-2012, 12:03 PM #1288
dapope12
drink my holy water

dapope12 plays in the PSP
dapope12 helped look for balloons
dapope12 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dapope12 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dapope12 supports Team VICIOUS
i gave my old tank (standard 20 gal) to my girlfriend so she could keep fish because i did not have the time to keep one. its a freshwater tank with 2 angel fish, 5 black skirt tetras, 3 hatchet fish, 2 dwarf gouramis, and a flying fox. about 2-3 months ago the angel fish mated and laid eggs on one of the fake plants. the angel fish protected the territory (about half the tank) and we took the plant out and cleaned the eggs off before they could kill any fish or before the eggs could hatch. this week we noticed that the angel fish once again laid eggs in the tank but this time on the filter were the intake is. however these eggs i assume are further along because they are a grey color and more flowing in the water than the last time (they were little orange balls).

i will assume that the angel fish will continue to mate unless we separate them but i want to know what to do about the eggs, we dont have another tank and we dont want to deal will a ton of baby angel fish. will the other fish in the tank simply eat the baby angel fish once they hatch?
Old 10-09-2012, 12:21 PM #1289
imhungry (Banned)

the other fish will definitely eat some of them but angels are cichlids and cichlids are very protective of their young so some will probably survive.

if you dont want the babies just cull them. i cull all the meh colored shrimp in my tank or sell them for dirt cheap on craigslist. some pet stores might buy them if you grow them out a little bit, especially smaller, non-chain stores.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:18 PM #1290
johnnybravo60025
§(©¿©)§

If the eggs have greyed over, that most likely means they have developed fungus and are no longer viable. The spawning pair will most likely keep defending them since this is their first spawn.

Also, double check to make sure you got a Flying Fox. There are Siamese Algae Eaters and false Siamese Algae Eaters being sold as Flying Foxes. Here's a good link to use: http://www.thekrib.com/Fish/Algae-Eaters/.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:08 PM #1291
imhungry (Banned)

added a wood shrimp to my 20 gal planted, dude is such a boss. i wish i could have gotten my hands on a vampire shrimp but they had a deal on woods so i cannot really complain.

my java's are getting new shoots and seem to be latching on well since i moved them. looks like they are going to make it. the tank is really starting to fill in and look nice now, although my java moss is kind of going nuts. it looks good but i kind of wish i went with a less aggressive type of moss
Old 10-19-2012, 07:57 PM #1292
byarosh201

Currently tending to a 40gal with 5 African cichlids and a big plaeco. I had 9 originally. Now the 5 left are all over 6 inches, time to setup my 100gal tank. Gotta fabricate a new stand(scrapped my old one)

I'm debating on what to do with my 49 after I move them though. I was thinking a small community tank and making it a focus point in my living room instead of an after thought in the breakfast nook.

Also I want to give real plants a shot but they never workout for me sadly any pointers with them?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:09 AM #1293
imhungry (Banned)

get a good substrait and lighting for starters. i would do some research and start with low tech, low light plants that do not need CO2 infusions and are generally hardy like java ferns and stuff like that. you probably do not need to go the ADA substrait system or anything for a low tech set up but it cannot hurt(mine is just gravel with tons of substrait supplements and my plants are doing great).

just do your homework and you will be fine. http://www.plantedtank.net/ is a good place to get started.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:10 AM #1294
byarosh201

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhungry
get a good substrait and lighting for starters. i would do some research and start with low tech, low light plants that do not need CO2 infusions and are generally hardy like java ferns and stuff like that. you probably do not need to go the ADA substrait system or anything for a low tech set up but it cannot hurt(mine is just gravel with tons of substrait supplements and my plants are doing great).

just do your homework and you will be fine. http://www.plantedtank.net/ is a good place to get started.
Thanks ill have to check it out after work. And see if my old fluval is still in working shape.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:27 PM #1295
pbmink (Banned)

pbmink is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Figured I'd cross post this pick up here.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:22 AM #1296
imhungry (Banned)

albino DBT?

edit: checked the other thread, RES

Last edited by imhungry : 11-13-2012 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:39 PM #1297
pbmink (Banned)

Broke a 300 gallon custom starphire tank this afternoon

Old 11-24-2012, 09:11 PM #1298
JC Nor7
vanilla

oh hi guiyz!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:42 PM #1299
imhungry (Banned)

I just saw this and got extremely pissed off

people who allow this to happen don't deserve those fish and the rest of that tank is next. i assume he is not in the states as that gold fish is an asian arow and they are more or less impossible to get here. if the GTF kills that you are looking at a multi-thousand dollar feeder in the states (depending on species and i am fairly certain they are prohibited in all states w/o special licencing)

on a side not his bichirs (the fish on the bottom) are really freaking nice. that asian arow is also a good looking specimen (its a red tailed gold or a golden, i am not really well versed in asian arows)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmink View Post
Broke a 300 gallon custom starphire tank this afternoon

ouch, say good bye to a few grand, at least. that really sucks

Last edited by imhungry : 11-28-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:00 PM #1300
JC Nor7
vanilla

Quote:

people who allow this to happen don't deserve those fish and the rest of that tank is next. i assume he is not in the states as that gold fish is an asian arow and they are more or less impossible to get here. if the GTF kills that you are looking at a multi-thousand dollar feeder in the states (depending on species and i am fairly certain they are prohibited in all states w/o special licencing)

on a side not his bichirs (the fish on the bottom) are really freaking nice. that asian arow is also a good looking specimen (its a red tailed gold or a golden, i am not really well versed in asian arows)

pretty sick.

it must be that asian chick who beat her baby.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:22 PM #1301
pbmink (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhungry
Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDaPI8cQPzg

I looked at other videos of his.

That tank is MUCH too small, for the fish in it doesn't look any bigger then 2x6x3. Or about 300 gallons.
On top of that, the guy has the most obese tegu I have ever seen, a white throat monitor and a Marine iguana in the same concrete lined pen that has nothing but a dirty water dish.

Ya, none too happy about it.
Getting a quote for a new one.
6' long, 2' high 4' deep starphire on three sides and rimless. Other side will be into a wall and depending on how much my newts destroy live plants hopefully live plants.

Most expensive newt pond EVER.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:29 AM #1302
r_racer11
The mad santa hatter

Could someone please help me identify a plant. I bought this for my tank a while back and the name slipped my mind.

"Originally posted by SmArT-SpOrKs: Jesus Tapdancing christ this thread is a cluster**** on both sides. Its like the civil war, but replace muskets with pool noodles and everyone has a wicked sunburn."

ST PHOTOBUCKET
_-_ST:GDT 10,000 posts and counting

c4designs.org