paranoidmonkey7
You sir are not Touch!

has been a member for 10 years
paranoidmonkey7 plays in the PSP
paranoidmonkey7 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
paranoidmonkey7 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2$SmallHead View Post
Our player fees are what pays for the AXBL's staff, if I were running a league I would run it like a business; as that's what it is, and I would hire only the most competent and appreciated staff.
yeah i agree ... looking into a different photographer(s) for next year would be great. Its sad to be able to tell which which photographer was on which field by the quality of the pictures when they are posted. i personally know one very talented photographer who was taking some of the pictures for the league (for who farted, but isn't apart of their organization ) and would like to continue to shoot for the league but would not have to do under the name of "company" that cant do the simple task of putting pictures of the correct game on a disk that a costumer paid for right.

and even if we don't pay them directly but if the league gives them exclusive rights to the media i think that a more talented and organized group of photographers should be chosen to take pictures for the league.
TNNK #11 '09 & '10 & '11
paranoidmonkey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-27-2009, 06:08 PM #44
Kr3wpaintball

Kr3wpaintball posts videos on PbNation
It's expensive when you pay for something upfront, and wait an unbelievable amount of time, to see they are of people you don't even know. It may not be expensive compared to others, but for the quality of work, and amount of work he didn't produce, compared to what he did produce, it is expensive. Especially when you have to pay $70 a case, if your in the MXL.
Kr3wpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:12 PM #45
swilhelm
Web Geek

swilhelm is a Supporting Member
swilhelm donated to help Peyton Trent
swilhelm has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2$SmallHead View Post
Our player fees are what pays for the AXBL's staff, if I were running a league I would run it like a business; as that's what it is, and I would hire only the most competent and appreciated staff.

But what you turdburglars don't realize is you can't hire another photographer, this guy is the only person that they let on the field to take pictures. Do you even play AXBL? We are making valid points here, don't dismiss the facts and act like we're ungrateful. Try reading the thread before attacking people.

This goes to you too, swilhelm.
You know, you're right...I don't play in the league. But I've been involved with it in one form or another from the beginning of the NYPS to now. So, I do have a pretty good idea of what's going on.

Now, me being a turdburglar, before I spoke I would be sure I knew what I was talking about, right?

There's this thing called a media pass that the AXBL sells that allows photographers & (if I remember correctly) videographers to do their thing, along side Hoof (fyi, Don's been w/ the league for years...Loyalty goes a long way) and Backline.

Next time before you start spewing crap, make sure to know what you're talking about.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:12 PM #46
daryl512

Well My Big Complaint was Boston Paintball. Field 3 Was NOT even the right size. Boston Paintball Is not set up right for x-ball Sure is has nice sandpaper turf and is great for 7 man but thats all.

. If you dont like what the league is doing then leave. So what if sodus is at a guys house your their to play paintball. and guess what their is 3 REGULATION fields their be happy that they have that, boston did not. aapp only has 2 . but those 2 fields are very nice only wish they had room for 3.

Over all I think the AXBl did a great job this year, They had some problems that they took care of.
daryl512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:49 PM #47
Trauma11
BSB

Trauma11 is a Professional paintball player
 plays in the NXL
Trauma11 plays in the APPA Pro division
I'm curious how Boston didn't have regulation fields. Two of the fields were inside of existing 7man fields so if the boundaries weren't set up right, isn't that the leagues fault. Maynard event was the best this year.
Brett Messer #22
LA Infamous
Manchester Firm
Pro Shar | Planet Eclipse | Virtue | Push | Nike | Powerhouse | FNDN

RIP Carl DeVellis #3
RIP Bay State Bandits
Trauma11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:54 PM #48
raiderpaintball09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma11 View Post
I'm curious how Boston didn't have regulation fields. Two of the fields were inside of existing 7man fields so if the boundaries weren't set up right, isn't that the leagues fault. Maynard event was the best this year.
i agree.. maynard was a really good event.
raiderpaintball09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:55 PM #49
iRoNiQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trauma11 View Post
Field 3 did suck though. I would like to see another event or two at Maynard next season, but field 3 needs to be fixed.
iRoNiQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:13 PM #50
TeamOverkill2k4
Greg Kress' #1 Fan

TeamOverkill2k4 is a Supporting Member
TeamOverkill2k4 donated to help Peyton Trent
- Consistent reffing. - Not necessarily saying the reffing was bad, but if one thing is a call on one field and not on the next there is a problem.
- Correctly gridded and laid out fields, none of this slanty-hill garbage.
- 2 Matches per event please.
TeamOverkill2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:14 PM #51
danbob1088
succisa virescit

danbob1088 is a Paintball photographer
danbob1088 is an NCPA player
danbob1088 plays in the APPA D5 division
I don't even know which Field that was - one closest to the portapotties?

There IS something wrong with that field, but other than that the venue was good.

flickr
danbob1088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:18 PM #52
flarkey25
Raging Weasel

There needs to be some kind of mercy rule. I played for distortion for the last couple events and when you're winning by over 15 points, it just wastes money. If a team is up by X amount of points at anytime during the second half, call the game. There were games when both teams were doing tricks and rolling around because it didn't even matter anymore and there were still 5 minutes left in the half.

The flag hang rule is absolutely absurd. I can understand wanting to keep people from running all-out into the flag station, but taking away points for your hand crossing the plane of the deadbox is just disgusting. Give players penalties or something if they maliciously run into the deadbox or something, but if someone is running to try and score a last second point and dives into it to try and hang it, that shouldn't be taken away.
flarkey25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:23 PM #53
danbob1088
succisa virescit

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidmonkey7 View Post
yeah i agree ... looking into a different photographer(s) for next year would be great. Its sad to be able to tell which which photographer was on which field by the quality of the pictures when they are posted. i personally know one very talented photographer who was taking some of the pictures for the league (for who farted, but isn't apart of their organization ) and would like to continue to shoot for the league but would not have to do under the name of "company" that cant do the simple task of putting pictures of the correct game on a disk that a costumer paid for right.

and even if we don't pay them directly but if the league gives them exclusive rights to the media i think that a more talented and organized group of photographers should be chosen to take pictures for the league.
Where are you people getting your information?

At no point in time has taking photographs at the AXBL been exclusively Hoofhearted, I really am curious how any of you think that is the case. Shane could just as easily work for his own company if he so chose - he is allowed to, just as Joe and I shot for ourselves throughout the season. Its not like you were discreet in your description of him.

Also, class goes a long way in any discussion. Getting your points across without resorting to immature name calling (who farted? really?) will go a long way in the credibility department, along with knowing what you are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr3wpaintball View Post
It's expensive when you pay for something upfront, and wait an unbelievable amount of time, to see they are of people you don't even know. It may not be expensive compared to others, but for the quality of work, and amount of work he didn't produce, compared to what he did produce, it is expensive. Especially when you have to pay $70 a case, if your in the MXL.
I understand your frustration with your experience, and I can't talk to that point (nor, honestly, do I care, since it has nothing to do with me). To bring up how much you pay for a case of paint as a defense for work you purchased from Don as an outside entity is pretty silly, considering that purchase has nothing to do with how the league is run; no? That purchase was made from funds outside of what you give the league to play, and any problems you have with that should be taken up with the people you purchased the photos from.

For instance: the state hires someone to pave the street outside your house. You, seeing them paving the street, hire them to do your driveway as well. Your driveway doesn't come out the way you wanted it to: do you get mad at the state, or do you get mad at the contractor?

flickr

Last edited by danbob1088 : 09-27-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:40 PM #54
paranoidmonkey7
You sir are not Touch!

paranoidmonkey7 plays in the PSP
paranoidmonkey7 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
paranoidmonkey7 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbob1088 View Post

Also, class goes a long way in any discussion. Getting your points across without resorting to immature name calling (who farted? really?) will go a long way in the credibility department, along with knowing what you are talking about.
btw i was not being immature by referring to hoofhearted as who farted because if you take a gander at dons web site on the banner across the top of the page it clearly says to say the name out loud 3 times, to me it seems like something in the game Mad Gab where you say given words that when said a few times start to sound like something else etc, ect... and even look at the name and add one space to the word and you get Hoo fhearted...

and for the rights i meant without having to purchase a media pass sorry for not making my self perfectly clear. and lastly i believe you took pictures of my team at one of the events and they were some amazing pictures and they were all done while it was raining out.
TNNK #11 '09 & '10 & '11
paranoidmonkey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:56 PM #55
enviousjohn

--

Last edited by enviousjohn : 01-23-2019 at 07:30 AM.
enviousjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:00 PM #56
BIG T25

BIG T25 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
BIG T25 plays in the APPA D1 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarkey25 View Post
There needs to be some kind of mercy rule. I played for distortion for the last couple events and when you're winning by over 15 points, it just wastes money. If a team is up by X amount of points at anytime during the second half, call the game. There were games when both teams were doing tricks and rolling around because it didn't even matter anymore and there were still 5 minutes left in the half.

The flag hang rule is absolutely absurd. I can understand wanting to keep people from running all-out into the flag station, but taking away points for your hand crossing the plane of the deadbox is just disgusting. Give players penalties or something if they maliciously run into the deadbox or something, but if someone is running to try and score a last second point and dives into it to try and hang it, that shouldn't be taken away.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:17 PM #57
danbob1088
succisa virescit

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoidmonkey7 View Post
btw i was not being immature by referring to hoofhearted as who farted because if you take a gander at dons web site on the banner across the top of the page it clearly says to say the name out loud 3 times, to me it seems like something in the game Mad Gab where you say given words that when said a few times start to sound like something else etc, ect... and even look at the name and add one space to the word and you get Hoo fhearted...

and for the rights i meant without having to purchase a media pass sorry for not making my self perfectly clear. and lastly i believe you took pictures of my team at one of the events and they were some amazing pictures and they were all done while it was raining out.
I don't agree with you on your first point, but thats intrepretation I guess.

Second one I understand - I did take photos of your team, and thank you for the kind words. I'm not going to involve myself in the discussion over quality or anything like that; I just wanted to make sure it was clear that they are not the only ones who can be on the field, as some have stated.

flickr
Old 09-27-2009, 09:21 PM #58
jmac3

1. Flag hang break plane rule. Get rid of that.

2. Shut the hell up about photographers. There was Visually Implied there with 2 photographers. Hoofhearted was actually more like 4 photographers for at least one event. The pictures were free if you waited.

3. I would also like 2 matches per event. Driving to Sodus for a match was very gay.

4. Don't go to Sodus twice. I think I would rather be in the car for a 10 hour drive to AAPP than a 5 hour drive to Sodus.

5. Please try to get rid of uneven fields. At the very least, if it is uneven could the snake go on the high side and not the low side?

6. Layout the fields correctly. I played a match and watched the refs change a bunker after the match was over.
jmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:09 PM #59
DVC_Hicks
QUACK QUACK!!

DVC_Hicks plays in the PSP
DVC_Hicks donated to help Peyton Trent
DVC_Hicks is Legendary
DVC_Hicks supports DLX Technology
Here is the issue I am seeing over and over again... location. Yes Maynard was a great event (from what I heard at least... I didn't join until the first Sodus event). The AAPP event was outstanding as well. Sodus had something to be desired, but it got the job done. As more of you are asking for more Maynard events to cut down the drive for you guys or what not, what about those teams that are located over here in the western portion of the league. I know of a couple teams in western PA and a few new ones forming in OH as well, and the drive or flights all the way out to Boston, or Hartford, or whatever for more than one event would be more than the cost of just playing in the league to begin with.

My suggestions would be this... if at all possible:

1) One event on the east coast (Maynard) and one event on the western edge of the league (AAPP) with 2 events in more of a central location (other than Sodus if possible).

or...

2) Realign the teams in the league and make events for each conference according to their geographical locations. I am sure not ALL the teams are located in Massachusetts, Connecticut, and northeast New York. Yes this suggestion would make things more expensive to run, but it would resolve major travel issues for all teams.

just a thought....
2013 AES Dallas Ducks #18
2013 PSP Ohio Extraction #18

Bob Long = Greatest guns on the market. Period.
DVC_Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:53 AM #60
Fox4paintball
Home of upTon 187 cRew

Fox4paintball is a Moderator
Fox4paintball is a Professional paintball player
 plays in the NXL
Having read through the thread and experienced a full season of AXBL action I’d like to offer the following suggestions/recommendations/requests/observations:

1) Eliminate or modify the “Breaking the Boundary” rule for hanging the flag. There needs to be a judgment call as to whether or not the player was advancing on the flag station in an unsafe manner. If the player slips as he hangs the flag (due to the fact that many games have been played on the field, etc..) that shouldn’t be an issue. If the player pushes their hand through the net (because it is not a ridged screen) that should not be an issue. The only issue should be when a player is running (at or near full speed) toward the flag station and either dives in or runs through the boundary. As much as I don’t want to introduce more judgment calls into the game, the penalty is very steep for someone who simply slips on a muddy surface as they walk the flag in. A possible “Fix” to the issue would be to allow the flag hang to occur on the “Home” bunker”. This bunker would be 10-15 feet off the boundary line. This would also eliminate the safety issues being covered by the current rule.

2) Reffing staff – this is a tough one that every organized league faces. From your local 5-mans up to your regional and even national events. I feel the AXBL put forth a great effort to try and solve this problem. They held a very intensive 2 day training course for the incoming refs for this season. The failure occurred when refs decided to back out of the league and not show for events. I’m not sure how the AXBL can fix this issue. The main question that needs to be asked is of the refs that bailed on the league – “Why”. Once that is answered, then it is possible the league can come up with a fix for the short falls. I’m guessing it has to do with the amount of travel associated with the league and the pay associated with longs days of getting shot at (at 15 BPS).

3) Facilities – I felt that all the facilities were more then capable of hosting the events. Did each one of them have their faults – yes. Did each of them have their benefits – yes. Teams need to realize that there is no easy fix to this concern. Unless the AXBL purchases a facility and sets it up with all the features needed for their tournaments I doubt any facility is going to be perfect. Even then, people will be concerned with the long drive, limited hotel space, lack of fast food joints, etc… For 2010 I would like to see the four events spread out more – Western Massachusetts, Upstate New York, Northern New Jersey and ? (maybe AAPP). Why:
Western Mass – shortens the drive for most teams over central mass
Upstate New York – Easier for the league (near/at their home location)
Northern New Jersey – change of venue/location – no longer drive for many teams over Sodus – takes away the two “Home field” advantage games that currently take place with holding 2 events in Sodus.
AAPP – that’s a nice facility – long drive, but nice facility. Only draw back – 2 fields – means limited amount of game times available.

4) Guesting – Make it more public as to who is/has guested up.

5) All Star game – I agree – let them play – only penalize to prevent the game from getting ugly.

6) Scheduling – consider creating a schedule that gives teams a “BYE” event and therefore freeing up more game slots for other teams to play multiple matches each event. Maybe consider geographic location of teams (not team names) and venue locations when creating the bye schedule.

7) Go back to having an owners meeting in the off season.
Fox4paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:56 AM #61
danbob1088
succisa virescit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox4paintball View Post
Having read through the thread and experienced a full season of AXBL action I’d like to offer the following suggestions/recommendations/requests/observations:

1) Eliminate or modify the “Breaking the Boundary” rule for hanging the flag. There needs to be a judgment call as to whether or not the player was advancing on the flag station in an unsafe manner. If the player slips as he hangs the flag (due to the fact that many games have been played on the field, etc..) that shouldn’t be an issue. If the player pushes their hand through the net (because it is not a ridged screen) that should not be an issue. The only issue should be when a player is running (at or near full speed) toward the flag station and either dives in or runs through the boundary. As much as I don’t want to introduce more judgment calls into the game, the penalty is very steep for someone who simply slips on a muddy surface as they walk the flag in. A possible “Fix” to the issue would be to allow the flag hang to occur on the “Home” bunker”. This bunker would be 10-15 feet off the boundary line. This would also eliminate the safety issues being covered by the current rule.

2) Reffing staff – this is a tough one that every organized league faces. From your local 5-mans up to your regional and even national events. I feel the AXBL put forth a great effort to try and solve this problem. They held a very intensive 2 day training course for the incoming refs for this season. The failure occurred when refs decided to back out of the league and not show for events. I’m not sure how the AXBL can fix this issue. The main question that needs to be asked is of the refs that bailed on the league – “Why”. Once that is answered, then it is possible the league can come up with a fix for the short falls. I’m guessing it has to do with the amount of travel associated with the league and the pay associated with longs days of getting shot at (at 15 BPS).

3) Facilities – I felt that all the facilities were more then capable of hosting the events. Did each one of them have their faults – yes. Did each of them have their benefits – yes. Teams need to realize that there is no easy fix to this concern. Unless the AXBL purchases a facility and sets it up with all the features needed for their tournaments I doubt any facility is going to be perfect. Even then, people will be concerned with the long drive, limited hotel space, lack of fast food joints, etc… For 2010 I would like to see the four events spread out more – Western Massachusetts, Upstate New York, Northern New Jersey and ? (maybe AAPP). Why:
Western Mass – shortens the drive for most teams over central mass
Upstate New York – Easier for the league (near/at their home location)
Northern New Jersey – change of venue/location – no longer drive for many teams over Sodus – takes away the two “Home field” advantage games that currently take place with holding 2 events in Sodus.
AAPP – that’s a nice facility – long drive, but nice facility. Only draw back – 2 fields – means limited amount of game times available.

4) Guesting – Make it more public as to who is/has guested up.

5) All Star game – I agree – let them play – only penalize to prevent the game from getting ugly.

6) Scheduling – consider creating a schedule that gives teams a “BYE” event and therefore freeing up more game slots for other teams to play multiple matches each event. Maybe consider geographic location of teams (not team names) and venue locations when creating the bye schedule.

7) Go back to having an owners meeting in the off season.
Where in Western MA? I don't know of any fields I classify as being in "Western MA" that could hold an event of this size, so they would have to rent a location and bring the rest.

I agree with your other points.

flickr
Old 09-28-2009, 10:00 AM #62
raiderpaintball09

I think hoofhearted is taking more blows then they should. Don is a great guy and loves doing photography for the AXBL, people are complaining so much but yet they are stealing his work off his site. I think everyone needs to stop worrying about your pictures and play the game, I mean honestly are you playing to look good or are you playing because you love the game. I think between Hoofhearted, Backline, and Visually Implied there is plenty of media coverage.
raiderpaintball09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:13 AM #63
Fox4paintball
Home of upTon 187 cRew

Fox4paintball is a Moderator
Fox4paintball is a Professional paintball player
 plays in the NXL
People play to look good - come on - everyone knows that.

I think if you look through the posts it's only a limited few (related?) people busting on Hoofhearted. Take it with a grain of salt. Some of them may even be disgruntled photo guys that didn't want to pay for the media passes.
Fox4paintball is offline   Reply With Quote