dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports Ninja Paintball
dps093 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsplaya View Post
Every field has these people. One of my local field has a kid(maybe 15yr) that comes and talks to us every time we show up which is fine. He has owned every gun ever made and has had everything they have ever produced for paintball and talks a big game. That's fine with me. But he is just like your guy. He will only play versus the renters and always has an excuse why he can't play at a certain time when certain people are on the speedball field. On the off chance that he will go out and play with us(non-renters/experienced players) he only brings a hopper full of paint, plays home, calls him self out, or shoots his hopper and then calls him self out.
It just drives most of us at the field crazy bc he talks a big game and has all the newest stuff but is scared to play with anyone other than renters. Every time he is there he is asked to play with everyone in the speedball field but he will "sit out" and then when the group of new renters is ready to go play in the woods he is magically ready to play. They always let him play where he wants bc he is there every weekend. I don't work at the field but if I did I just wouldn't let him play with the renters. Just tell him he has to play with non renters and if he doesn't come back then I would be ok with that. I wouldn't want him to scare the renters away so that they don't ever come back. He is usually there by himself or with one friend so I would take losing his 4-6 field fees a month over losing a large group not having a good time bc a kid with all the newest technology is painting them all up.
That's exactly how this guy is. Judging from what everyone has told me on this thread, I think I'm just not going to allow him to play with renters anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexisme View Post
Who cares?

Are you really that bad of an employee that speaking your mind would be your last straw? That while looking out for the best interest of the patrons would get you fired? I don't think I'd want to work at a place like that anyway. Or even patronize a field like that.

Is being a paintball ref your "goal" in life?

Maybe the owner wants you to do what you are being paid to do. Ref, be responsible, if you see something that is not right, do something about it.
You're totally right. I think what I'm going to do is just not allow him to play with the renters. Yea, he's only a 15 year old, but still. He comes a couple times a month by himself, so looks like he'll have to start playing with the big boys now.
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-18-2013, 04:05 PM #23
t0ph3r89
DPF

has been a member for 10 years
t0ph3r89 supports DLX Technology
Suggest to the field owner that he should create two (or +three depending on attendance) groups, beginner and advanced. Beginners, rental users, and possibly pump users in one group. Advanced players and fancy space guns in the other group. That way, he's forced to either use a pump or play with the big kids.
t0ph3r89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:13 PM #24
dps093
I like Flexes

dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0ph3r89 View Post
Suggest to the field owner that he should create two (or +three depending on attendance) groups, beginner and advanced. Beginners, rental users, and possibly pump users in one group. Advanced players and fancy space guns in the other group. That way, he's forced to either use a pump or play with the big kids.
Well here's the thing. Most of the rental players do not mind mixing in with the experienced players, because most if not all experienced players know to take it easier, and everyone always has fun when we do mix in. Its people like this kid who just go full rambo and ruin the experience for the first timers that make them not want to come back or play with anyone else but themselves. And we usually get 20-40 people a week, we're a small field, so while that option would be great I don't think it would work for us. Generally, what we do is if there is a private party (meaning at least 15 people) they have the option of playing just by themselves. Then we have the walk-ons who will all play together, whether it is there first time, they are beginners, or play all the time, unless there is another group there that is willing to take them all in, or if there is a group of less than 15 they can combine together.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:04 PM #25
rexisme

rexisme supports DLX Technology
Just sit him and tell him he's too good to be playing with the rentals..that you'll allow him to play with them if they're his only option; as in no other players to play with.. but, that you think as hard as he pushes, he'd be good on the speed ball field.

shot him down, took care of your problem and stroked his ego all in one shot.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:08 PM #26
dps093
I like Flexes

dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports Empire
Quote:
Just sit him and tell him he's too good to be playing with the rentals..that you'll allow him to play with them if they're his only option; as in no other players to play with.. but, that you think as hard as he pushes, he'd be good on the speed ball field.

shot him down, took care of your problem and stroked his ego all in one shot.
Word. Not what I had in mind at first, but I feel like that's the only thing I can do.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:35 PM #27
th3p0is0n

my friend told me about this local field he plays at(havent had the chance to go there myself) but he's told me when you get there they look at your gear talk to you about your experience(years playing, tournament played in, etc.) and they put a armband on you for one of three groups beginner, immediate, and pro and they match up teams based on that and thats who you play with if you don't like it then leave.
th3p0is0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:55 PM #28
PalmHarborPirates (Banned)

PalmHarborPirates is playing at Living Legends V
My friends the same way. He sees a batch lot party group of 45 year old guys and takes 3 pods and ramps on them. It wasn't a walk on game either. Every time I tell him he looks bad he gets mad or depressed.
PalmHarborPirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:41 PM #29
ultranoobify
Little spoon for life.

ultranoobify owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Maybe its just best you sit him down and tell him what the issue is. Tell him why he is a problem and why it is bad to both the sport and the field. Give him a chance to take it easy. If he abuses that chance, don't let him play with the walk-ons. If he takes heed of what you say, let him do his thing.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:17 PM #30
dps093
I like Flexes

dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3p0is0n View Post
my friend told me about this local field he plays at(havent had the chance to go there myself) but he's told me when you get there they look at your gear talk to you about your experience(years playing, tournament played in, etc.) and they put a armband on you for one of three groups beginner, immediate, and pro and they match up teams based on that and thats who you play with if you don't like it then leave.
That's awesome. But we're not really a big enough field to do something like that. Hopefully in the future though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmHarborPirates View Post
My friends the same way. He sees a batch lot party group of 45 year old guys and takes 3 pods and ramps on them. It wasn't a walk on game either. Every time I tell him he looks bad he gets mad or depressed.
Yea idk if people like that do it to feel a sense of accomplishment or something but it's just really sad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultranoobify View Post
Maybe its just best you sit him down and tell him what the issue is. Tell him why he is a problem and why it is bad to both the sport and the field. Give him a chance to take it easy. If he abuses that chance, don't let him play with the walk-ons. If he takes heed of what you say, let him do his thing.
You're right. Next time he is at the field, I'll see how he plays. If I need to, I'll pull him aside and talk to him about it.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:55 PM #31
firststrike01
Peace is the way

Does this kid know how much you think about him off the field? Maybe you should just come out to him and tell him how you feel. Lol
firststrike01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:20 AM #32
dps093
I like Flexes

dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by firststrike01 View Post
Does this kid know how much you think about him off the field? Maybe you should just come out to him and tell him how you feel. Lol
Lol what hahaha. I've spoken to him several times off the field, not about this though, because again, I don't want to seem like I'm outright attacking him or anything to make him feel uncomfortable. I've hinted at him several times before to not play with the renters but he just ignores it. Again, next time I see him, I'm going to talk to him about it. It's not just me, everyone on the staff agrees he is a paintball bully haha
Old 01-20-2013, 03:09 PM #33
Subterfuge
Arctic Wolf

Subterfuge owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
Convince a more experienced tourney speedballer that's just there to have fun, to do a special mission. Have the sandbagger use a rental and always stick him on the opposite rental team. To disguise him maybe give him a jumpsuit. Have the rental sandbagger teach the rentals the basic tricks of snapshooting and moving up. When the paintbully is distracted with all the rentals that look like your sandbagger, he will be bunkered and not be a factor in the rental game anymore. Have the sandbagger disappear immediately after bunkering your paintbully so there is no way he can identify him.

Last edited by Subterfuge : 01-20-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Subterfuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:14 PM #34
Diomedes
Nerd

It's the refs' job to balance the teams and groups. As a ref, MAKE him play with the non-rental group. Don't ASK him to. MAKE him. As a ref, you are in charge. Tell him he can play with the appropriate group, or not at all. You say he's a paintball bully, well then stop letting him act like one. That simple. The best fields have a rental/inexperienced group, and an electro/experienced group, so this kind of thing can't happen.
Zombie Defense Force, Local 42 #61 "Darwin"
DarwinZDF42 <--YouTube channel. Reviews, helmetcam, odds and ends. Updated more-or-less weekly. Subscribe!
Looking for a new mask? See how they compare.
"Integrity is doing what's right, even if nobody is looking." My PBN feedback
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:26 PM #35
Lamron
Metrowest Bulldogs #5

Lamron is playing at Living Legends X
Lamron has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Lamron is attending Decay of Nations VI
Looks like you just have to take matters into your own hands, but you have choices.

1) Sit him, don't let him play with rentals
2) put some one more experienced in the games with him. Have that guy show up after the kid gets in line to play.
3) make the teams more even (ie 6 v 4 (him on 4))
4) make him play hopper ball
5) make him use a gravity hopper
6) make him use a rental

You could also ask a renter or two put in a complaint to the owner so he does something.

Last edited by Lamron : 01-20-2013 at 05:28 PM. Reason: assing info
Lamron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:18 PM #36
dps093
I like Flexes

dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subterfuge View Post
Convince a more experienced tourney speedballer that's just there to have fun, to do a special mission. Have the sandbagger use a rental and always stick him on the opposite rental team. To disguise him maybe give him a jumpsuit. Have the rental sandbagger teach the rentals the basic tricks of snapshooting and moving up. When the paintbully is distracted with all the rentals that look like your sandbagger, he will be bunkered and not be a factor in the rental game anymore. Have the sandbagger disappear immediately after bunkering your paintbully so there is no way he can identify him.
Problem is, he knows who all the experienced players at the field are, so that wouldn't work lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes View Post
It's the refs' job to balance the teams and groups. As a ref, MAKE him play with the non-rental group. Don't ASK him to. MAKE him. As a ref, you are in charge. Tell him he can play with the appropriate group, or not at all. You say he's a paintball bully, well then stop letting him act like one. That simple. The best fields have a rental/inexperienced group, and an electro/experienced group, so this kind of thing can't happen.
For the large part, yes, that is what we do. We usually keep them separate, than a few games everyone will mix in and have a great time, because all of our experienced players know to go easy. It's just this one kid can't hold back for some reason and has to go hardcore full rambo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamron View Post
Looks like you just have to take matters into your own hands, but you have choices.

1) Sit him, don't let him play with rentals
2) put some one more experienced in the games with him. Have that guy show up after the kid gets in line to play.
3) make the teams more even (ie 6 v 4 (him on 4))
4) make him play hopper ball
5) make him use a gravity hopper
6) make him use a rental

You could also ask a renter or two put in a complaint to the owner so he does something.
Sometimes if we don't have speedball up, it will only be rentals, so I can't deny him from playing with them if they are not a private party. If he sees another experienced player, he will not play in the game most of the time. I've made the teams more even so that he is on a team with less players, but he still manages to go hard and usually succeed. If he doesn't, he makes up an excuse in the middle of the game, saying he is out of paint or something, when in reality he is close to getting shot and does not want to get hit. Good idea on the hopper ball, I'll probably try that out with him. I can't force him to use a gravity hopper, that won't fly. And again, he's too scared to use a rental. He feels powerful behind his gun I think so that he can just spray and pray. If he can't spray and pray, then he won't feel so powerful.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:27 PM #37
Christian P
UWL and Scenario

Christian P is playing at Living Legends VI
Christian P is playing at Living Legends VII
 is playing at Living Legends XI
Christian P is attending Decay of Nations VII
Don't fill his air all the way. Give him 2k at a time. This will limit him to a hopper and 2 pods. When he complains, tell him that he doesn't need a full tank to play with rentals. If he's playing speedball, then he would need a full air tank.
Christian P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:09 AM #38
rexisme

rexisme supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian P View Post
Don't fill his air all the way. Give him 2k at a time. This will limit him to a hopper and 2 pods. When he complains, tell him that he doesn't need a full tank to play with rentals. If he's playing speedball, then he would need a full air tank.
That'd be funny but then he'd run into the issue of filling the other experienced players tanks more than his. Or limiting the experienced players fills which is not fair to them due to some other kid being a douche.

Yes, you could say that experienced players woudn't mind, which most wouldn't. However, you still always have that one douche that would *****. Plus, changing all the rules for one person is a little extreme.

It seems pretty simple. The OP is a ref, as stated, his job is to make sure this isn't happening. If it is, he "should" have authority to do as he see fit. I mean, that is what the OP is getting paid to do.

Like I said, I can't believe the owner cares about selling those couple cases of paint a month vs. possible lifetimes of groups..

Oh and OP, how'd it go this weekend? Did he show? What did you do?
Old 01-21-2013, 09:07 AM #39
cycoblade
Paintball Ambassador

cycoblade is BST Trusted
cycoblade posts videos on PbNation
cycoblade has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
cycoblade has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
cycoblade has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
pit your group of 14 renters against him. 14 against 1. and tactically help the renters find him and take him out.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:39 AM #40
dps093
I like Flexes

dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian P View Post
Yea I couldn't do that lol.
Quote:
That'd be funny but then he'd run into the issue of filling the other experienced players tanks more than his. Or limiting the experienced players fills which is not fair to them due to some other kid being a douche.

Yes, you could say that experienced players woudn't mind, which most wouldn't. However, you still always have that one douche that would *****. Plus, changing all the rules for one person is a little extreme.

It seems pretty simple. The OP is a ref, as stated, his job is to make sure this isn't happening. If it is, he "should" have authority to do as he see fit. I mean, that is what the OP is getting paid to do.

Like I said, I can't believe the owner cares about selling those couple cases of paint a month vs. possible lifetimes of groups..

Oh and OP, how'd it go this weekend? Did he show? What did you do?
I heard he was there Sunday. Dunno how he played haha. I wasn't scheduled to ref that day, and had a mandatory team meeting for this PSP season so I couldn't have been there even if I wanted to lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycoblade View Post
pit your group of 14 renters against him. 14 against 1. and tactically help the renters find him and take him out.
Again, the kid is a wimp. I've tried stuff like that before, and he's like um no I'm not doing that.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:41 AM #41
thenoob23
Axe+$$

thenoob23 is playing at Living Legends VI
thenoob23 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
thenoob23 supports Team VICIOUS
thenoob23 supports DLX Technology
I honestley HATE people like that.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:34 PM #42
dps093
I like Flexes

dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoob23 View Post
I honestley HATE people like that.
Tell me about it... been dealing with him for way too long.