PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-01-2012, 10:12 PM #883
parkrats
I am a master trickster.

has been a member for 10 years
^ I've not run into one time where it was an issue for me.

parkrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-16-2012, 09:22 PM #884
pballin77
Oatmeal makes you healthy

pballin77 helped look for balloons
pballin77 is playing at Living Legends III
pballin77 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
MacBook pro 15 inch non retina, 750 gb model, versus MacBook pro 15 inch retina with 512 gb SSD. what would you guys get? Trying to decide which one is worth it
ASM Council
ST: Music: Guitar thread: OG
pballin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 09:35 PM #885
96 Ls lnteg
Hola

96 Ls lnteg is a Supporting Member
96 Ls lnteg is a Paintball photographer
96 Ls lnteg owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Quote:
Originally Posted by pballin77
MacBook pro 15 inch non retina, 750 gb model, versus MacBook pro 15 inch retina with 512 gb SSD. what would you guys get? Trying to decide which one is worth it
Ssd if you can afford it
Old 08-22-2012, 09:24 PM #886
warlordtfc

warlordtfc owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
warlordtfc supports DLX Technology
warlordtfc supports Ninja Paintball
itunes owns.
warlordtfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:13 PM #887
Little_PB_Newb
www.jamesrphoto.com

Little_PB_Newb is a Paintball photographer
Little_PB_Newb donated to help Peyton Trent
Little_PB_Newb supports Team VICIOUS
Little_PB_Newb plays in the APPA beginner division
After a long debate in my head I finally took the plunge and ordered an iMac after being a loyal windows user since I was 4 years old with windows 95. I own a photography studio and was looking for an all in one, out of the box solution to minimize cords and space and give me the memory and CPU I needed to run my business.

I ordered this setup since I wanted to be prepared for future advances in programs and camera technology which may turn out to be more memory-dependant:

The only upgrade I'm considering for he future is a 1/2 TB SSD depending on how the base option works for me, though I've managed fine up until now without one I understand the advantages that come with the technology.

My question is do I have anything I need to do when I first set it up? It's my experience with windows that there are a number of unnecessary sponsor programs and aesthetic components that come loaded into the machines that can be removed to optimize the performance, but it's my understanding that mac is a more plug in and go set up. Also are there any programs or widgets recommended for the OS?

Thanks

Last edited by Little_PB_Newb : 08-25-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Little_PB_Newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:51 PM #888
96 Ls lnteg
Hola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_PB_Newb
After a long debate in my head I finally took the plunge and ordered an iMac after being a loyal windows user since I was 4 years old with windows 95. I own a photography studio and was looking for an all in one, out of the box solution to minimize cords and space and give me the memory and CPU I needed to run my business.

I ordered this setup since I wanted to be prepared for future advances in programs and camera technology which may turn out to be more memory-dependant:

The only upgrade I'm considering for he future is a 1/2 TB SSD depending on how the base option works for me, though I've managed fine up until now without one I understand the advantages that come with the technology.

My question is do I have anything I need to do when I first set it up? It's my experience with windows that there are a number of unnecessary sponsor programs and aesthetic components that come loaded into the machines that can be removed to optimize the performance, but it's my understanding that mac is a more plug in and go set up. Also are there any programs or widgets recommended for the OS?

Thanks
Handbrake
Vlc

Also for you can do a external thunderbolt drive for a boot drive
Old 08-25-2012, 11:36 PM #889
heedonkey

How Bout Dat New Ipods
heedonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:40 PM #890
Cmizzle
Full Time Tape Head

Bear with me here because I am currently on my phone right now but long story short, my 13" MPB got the spinning rainbow wheel of death last night in the middle of browsing the net. So I restarted it thinking that would do the trick. Well once i restarted it, it hit the apple grey screen with the logo and spinning loading sign, but it never booted up fully. I repeated this multiple times with no luck. I finally managed to get it to boot in safe mode and went to do a disk utility first aid and it kept giving me errors saying I need to back up what I have and format it.

Instead of formatting it, I restored it from a time machine back up that I had completed about a week before my **** crashed. I let it do it's thing over night, wake up and check it...Everything seems to be running. I was able to get on the interwebs and what not but it was running incredibly sluggish. I didnt think too much of it because it had to build the spot light catalog and **** so I went to class, come back home to see the computer turned off. I turned it on, hoping that it would go to the login screen, instead it just shows the grey loading screen with no apple or loading symbol. Just a grey screen. I also can't get it to boot Into safe mode now either.

If anyone has any input please let me know. The closest apple store is about 2 hours away, so if there is anything I can do to save myself a trip then let me know. But im assuming I'm just going to have to take it in and see what the deal is.
Cmizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:53 PM #891
big_scott
Has a good personality.

big_scott is a founding member
big_scott supports DLX Technology
Anyone know how to stop the SafariDAV process from ever running. It will come up randomly and then begins using up all of my CPU and memory. I have to keep Activity Monitor open at all times or I can't fix the problem without a restart when it crops up.

My google searches have told me I need to uncheck Bookmarks from iCloud, which I did. I even tried disabling iCloud all together but the process still pops up at random times. Any ideas in how to stop it for good?

I'm running the latest version of Mountain Lion on an early 2011 MBP.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:07 PM #892
96 Ls lnteg
Hola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmizzle
Bear with me here because I am currently on my phone right now but long story short, my 13" MPB got the spinning rainbow wheel of death last night in the middle of browsing the net. So I restarted it thinking that would do the trick. Well once i restarted it, it hit the apple grey screen with the logo and spinning loading sign, but it never booted up fully. I repeated this multiple times with no luck. I finally managed to get it to boot in safe mode and went to do a disk utility first aid and it kept giving me errors saying I need to back up what I have and format it.

Instead of formatting it, I restored it from a time machine back up that I had completed about a week before my **** crashed. I let it do it's thing over night, wake up and check it...Everything seems to be running. I was able to get on the interwebs and what not but it was running incredibly sluggish. I didnt think too much of it because it had to build the spot light catalog and **** so I went to class, come back home to see the computer turned off. I turned it on, hoping that it would go to the login screen, instead it just shows the grey loading screen with no apple or loading symbol. Just a grey screen. I also can't get it to boot Into safe mode now either.

If anyone has any input please let me know. The closest apple store is about 2 hours away, so if there is anything I can do to save myself a trip then let me know. But im assuming I'm just going to have to take it in and see what the deal is.
I would restore with out the Tm backup an see how that goes an just pick an choose what you need from Tm
Old 08-28-2012, 09:27 PM #893
Cmizzle
Full Time Tape Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Ls lnteg

I would restore with out the Tm backup an see how that goes an just pick an choose what you need from Tm
I did that last night and it crashed on me again while I was in class. Now I can't get it to boot in safe mode so I could use TM.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:28 AM #894
BlitzPA9

BlitzPA9 is a founding member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmizzle View Post
I did that last night and it crashed on me again while I was in class. Now I can't get it to boot in safe mode so I could use TM.
It sounds like you have a failing disk. An Apple Store will probably just give you a new one for free. Do you have a TM backup or SuperDuper clone? Did you try resetting PRAM and VRAM? If you happen to have an OS X disk laying around you can boot that and run disk utility again.
BlitzPA9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:09 PM #895
Cmizzle
Full Time Tape Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzPA9

It sounds like you have a failing disk. An Apple Store will probably just give you a new one for free. Do you have a TM backup or SuperDuper clone? Did you try resetting PRAM and VRAM? If you happen to have an OS X disk laying around you can boot that and run disk utility again.
I tried resetting the pram an VRAM, still nothing. I don't have a physical disk anywhere either. I'll just have to hit up the apple store.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:16 PM #896
evilpaintball311
zoom zoom

evilpaintball311 supports our troops
Anyone know how to get rid of this bar in the middle of my screen. The cat decided to get on my computer...
evilpaintball311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:20 PM #897
96 Ls lnteg
Hola

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpaintball311
Anyone know how to get rid of this bar in the middle of my screen. The cat decided to get on my computer...
My kid did that to my wife's mb I think it's in settings under accessibility
Old 09-11-2012, 11:47 PM #898
evilpaintball311
zoom zoom

evilpaintball311 supports our troops
Got it. Thanks. It was the voice over thing.
evilpaintball311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:27 PM #899
Hawnduhfanboi
Awww Yeeeah

I feel like my new macbook pro is running a little hot after a couple hours of use. Is there anything i can use to measure the temps?
Hawnduhfanboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:48 PM #900
atm743

atm743 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawnduhfanboi View Post
I feel like my new macbook pro is running a little hot after a couple hours of use. Is there anything i can use to measure the temps?
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23049/smcfancontrol

or for more stuff
http://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/

i use istatmenus but thats just me. if you just want fan control. smcfancontrol is free
Old 10-16-2012, 12:04 AM #901
$h@key J0nEZ
The South Will Rise Again

Time to sell all my Apple computers and electronics while I can still get a good price for them.

R.I.P. Steve Jobs

Your innovation and inspiration will be sorely missed.

/Apple
Old 10-16-2012, 12:35 AM #902
Promagistrate
such motto

Promagistrate owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Promagistrate has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Promagistrate has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Promagistrate supports DLX Technology
wat
wat
wat
Dontcallmepete: "Tell me somefin, hows no hammer to make bolts bolt better than a wrench bolts bolt? "
Promagistrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:41 AM #903
96 Ls lnteg
Hola

Just a stupid troll