Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-06-2006, 10:28 PM #1
CrazyBear

has been a member for 10 years
So you're new to pump paintball answer thread.

This is for all the new players which are looking at being enlightened in the mastery of pump play. This will cover which pumps to get and some basic skills on how to play and terms.

Pump terminology:
sc- refers to stock class which has the feed tube horizontal/parrallel to the body. Tubes usually hold 8,10,12, and 15 but some are custom made to other sizes. Also means that the marker has a 12 gram changer.

vsc- means Vertical Stock Class which is the same as stock class but the 12 gram changer is vertical and in front of the grip frame rather than on the back.

wwa - white wolf airsmithing an website that sells many pump guns, gear, and accessories. EDIT: Has a questionable history of shipping purchased items.

at- auto trigger which is when you can hold the trigger down and keep pumping to fire more shots rather than pump, shoot, pump, shoot.

df - direct feed which should be self explanatory but is when you use an hopper instead of an tube.

cci- maker of phantoms

ccm - makes many autococker pump accessories and pump guns.

nelson based- means that the body is an nelson design of an single tube pump like the phantom.

sheridan based- means that the body is an sheridan design of an stacked tube pump like the pgp.

That should be the basics of what is needed to understand most of the lingo.

What gun should i get?

Well if you just starting out i would say the following are your best options:
maverick/traccer (same thing just different names) 80 new 40-60 used
hornet/tagmaster (same thing just different names) 85 new 40-60 used
tippmann sl-68 1, or 2 rare to find new 30-50 used
sterling 160 new 80-130 used
kingman hammer rare new about 30-60 used
pgp 40-65 used 80-100 new

out of those the maverick/hornet/traccer/tagmaster and sterling are your best bets on finding. They also have the most easily accessable upgrades out of the bunch.

Kingman hammer would probaly be the best if you can get one in good condition. due to the fact they accept spyder threaded barrels if you don't get the hammer2 version.

pgp is an nice one too but seems to be a bitter harder for new players to use.
I would check ebay and pbnations pump forums for some used ones.

If you have tried pump play before and know your going to like it then these might be an better option:
phantom
buzzard
illusion
sniper 1 or 2
ss-25
or any of the previous ones.

Phantoms probaly have the most options for upgrades and accessories out of all the base pump guns but an converted autococker could be an close match. In terms of pump options.

buzzards are really expensive but do carry an ego with them too. Illusions are an nice option along with sniper 1 or 2 if you want another autococker type pump.

If you have an autococker and want to convert to pump then you could get and pump kit from either worr game products, ccm, or wwa (if you don't know what those mean look at the lingo section). there are other pumps i didn't mention but pretty much look around the forums and use the search button to get some info.

tactics:
don't get shot
hit them first
show the smallest target area you can
move very fast and be sneaky
be aggressive but not stupid
always remember to cock the paintball gun after you fire so it's instinct and never have to worry.
always have extra 10 round tubes and 12grams
don't be intimidated.
most of all have fun
believe me you will suck horribly at first but after a few days of playing it will just start to click and you'll get really good.
take some time to target practice and learn your gun.
keep moving and get the best angles as possible without sacrificing yourself.

reccomened upgrades:
12 gram quick change if you don't have one
stock class tube/12 gram carrier in whatever style you prefer. I like the elite harness and an 12 guage shotgun belt the best.
upgraded barrel if wanted
red dot sight if you know how to use one or the time to learn how. Also has a "cool factor" on the new players.
and lastly make sure you have excellent goggles because usually if you can't see the enemy you can't hit them, and if your uncomfortable its harder to play.
excercise

Hope that clears up a lot of questions new players have when entering the pump world.

oh yeah and lastly Read The Stickies and try the Search Button before posting.

Last edited by Castro #66 : 01-03-2013 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Editing for accuracy.
CrazyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2006, 10:49 PM #2
tac0cat
ANGRY BEAR!!!! RAWR!!!

i was gunna make a thread like this, but i was too lazy. sticky please.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:17 PM #3
luckycricket

nice

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination
VIVA LA BUNNY
luckycricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 11:19 PM #4
ApoC_101

sniper/cockers have the most upgrades out for them, phantoms definitely second to them.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 11:32 PM #5
tac0cat
ANGRY BEAR!!!! RAWR!!!

well, i dont think he meant upgrades, more like configurations.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:38 PM #6
AIM
All Things HK and Demetri

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyBear
sc- refers to stock class body which has the feed tube horizontal/parrallel to the body. Tubes usually hold 8,10,12, and 15 but some are custom made to other sizes. Also means that the 12 gram changer is on the back of the gun.
only on phantoms. i can have a sc sniper with a vert 12 gram. stock class refers to a feed tube abd 12 gram changer. sticky

AIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 12:20 AM #7
ApoC_101

ill let adrien know, seems like a pretty thorough introduction and we can always add to it later.

edit: OH, and FFS, a red dot isnt just a cool looking gadget, some of us who actually know how to operate such sights put them to very good use, theyre NOT for newbies, they take knowhow to setup correctly to the marker (same drill as sighting a firearm except you need an accurate marker to start, and consistant paint to set it with). there is nothing "cool" about using a red dot apparently, newbs will repeatedly ask to see it, and your more experienced peers will only laugh at you (unless they play with you enough to know how deadly it allows you shoot with a pump).

Last edited by ApoC_101 : 03-07-2006 at 12:27 AM.
ApoC_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 01:11 AM #8
denythesilence
Human Energy

denythesilence is a Supporting Member
denythesilence supports Team VICIOUS
denythesilence supports Team VICIOUS
denythesilence supports Bob Gurnsey
denythesilence is Legendary
denythesilence is attending Decay of Nations VI
Stuck.

Adrien
Old 03-07-2006, 02:50 PM #9
CrazyBear

Apoc_101 i meant configurations for the phantom. But also i usually find when i use an red dot sight i either get too distracted with it, magically git hit there every other round, or don't have enough time to use it. For woods play it would be nice to have. I'm thinking i might make a thread on pump ghetto gear accessories since a lot of stuff is hard to find, doesn't exist, or there are just cheaper options.
CrazyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 04:40 PM #10
jhyan
glorified fry cook

Two things...

Sterlings are not a sheridan valve system (you can either consider them a hybrid of nelson/sheridan, or thier own unique valve system, shared by kingman Hammer II's)
Bushmaster line SI are much more than 30-60 (closer to 100-150 for base models)

Other than that it seems like good info, nice job.

EDIT: For some reason selling O-rings in the Misc section isn't allowed. This is stupid. PM me if you want to buy an inexpensive set of O-rings for your DM* marker.

AO feedback: http://automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=203570
PBN Feedback: https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1791889
MCB feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1745
jhyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 09:51 PM #11
UglyDuckGizmo

UglyDuckGizmo owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
somebody please explain the difference between nelson and sheridan base pumps....
Old 04-14-2006, 10:26 PM #12
cockerpunk

nelson - the three internal components are all in the same tube. the bolt then the hammer, then the valve. the valve has a very long tube attached that the air flows through and the hammer has a hole through the middle that allows this to past through and into the bolt. the hammer also has clip attached, that latches on to the bolt. when you pump it the bolt slides back, and compresses the spring between the bolt and hammer until the two click together with the above mentioned latch. the pump return spring (or you arm) pushes the two forward together until its closed. when you pull the trigger, the trigger hits the latch (releasing it) and the spring between the bolt and hammer drives the hammer back very fast. when it strikes the valve it releases air, and that air flows through the power tube (through the middle of the hammer) and out the bolt into the barrel. pump and repeat. examples - carters, phantoms, mavs, diablos ...

features - its a set and forget type gun. there very few adjustments that need to made, and almost no upgrades (none are needed). very consistant and efficient. very matinace friendly. basically as simple as a gun could be. very light, very small. autotrigger is inherent in the design. pump stroke is comparatively bad.

sheriden - the bolt is in the top tube alone and the hammer and valve are in the bottom tube. when you pump the pump the arm moves the bolt (loading a ball) and the bolt has a connector pin (known in a cocker as the hammer lug) that is in front of the hammer (in the bottom tube). when the pin hits the hammer (during the pump stroke) and pushes it back until it catches on the trigger sear. then the return spring (or your arm) closes the bolt. when the trigger is pulled it releases the hammer to fly forward and hit the valve. the valve has a hole that makes the air flow into the top tube and out the barrel (through the bolt in some cases and just into the top tube behind the ball is some). pump and repeat. examples - pgp, p68, pug, Superstocker, sniper, illy, CCM ...

features - nice pump stroke (even with budget model pump kits, sniper). millions of adjustments (sniper and CCM), and lots of fun tuning. feels like a cocker (sniper and CCM). brass is heavy (sheriden guns). not nearly as complicated adjustments on the sheridens too. heavier and bigger than others. needs to be tweaked and tuned to be nice on 12 grams(sniper). can be hard to get a stock class feed made(sniper). AT needs to be custom too (everything but the CCM's anyway)

sterling - a combination of the two. its basically a double tubed nelson. the hammer and valve are in the bottom tube and the bolt is in the top tube. there is also a piece called a carrier in the bottom tube that is directly linked to the pump. a pump arm also directly links the pump to the bolt as well. when you pump the bolt is moved by its direct connection, and the carrier is moved back as well. the carrier and hammer have a spring between them and the hammer latches to the carrier (the carrier is acting like the bolt in the nelson design). the trigger releases the sear and the hammer strikes the valve. the valve releases air into the top tube and out the barrel. examples - hammer II and sterling.

features - NICE pump stroke. still small and light. AT standard. also hard to convert to stock class feed (I herd the news ones are gonna have a VSC form though). most are sterling threaded, some latter ones and the new ones will be spyder threads. not too great on 12 grams either, mainly a CA pump in my mind. company that makes them is in UK (could be hard to get service).

Last edited by cockerpunk : 04-15-2006 at 11:36 AM.
cockerpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:40 PM #13
Fireball
PBN Newbie

Very cool!

I'd personally like a spellcheck / capitalization revision of the thread, though.

Nevertheless, very nice work!
Fireball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 11:33 AM #14
cockerpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball
Very cool!

I'd personally like a spellcheck / capitalization revision of the thread, though.

Nevertheless, very nice work!
yeah sorry. im not known for spelling well, and it was late.

someone around here im sure has the .gif inmages of the three systems operating, but i don't

ill toss that post in MS word and see what happens. haha
Old 04-16-2006, 11:32 AM #15
jhyan
glorified fry cook

Nelson

Sheridan

Sterling

EDIT: For some reason selling O-rings in the Misc section isn't allowed. This is stupid. PM me if you want to buy an inexpensive set of O-rings for your DM* marker.

AO feedback: http://automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=203570
PBN Feedback: https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1791889
MCB feedback: http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1745
jhyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 03:24 PM #16
Zeoalex
POLAR BEAR...ENGAGE!!!

Zeoalex plays in the APPA D4 division
Zeoalex has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Zeoalex has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Zeoalex has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
what would be the best gun for cheap for someone who is trying to start to play stock? I am looking at phantoms, but they are really expensive *for me*. I am looking for a VSC...
Zeoalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 12:20 PM #17
ThePBMinistry

I use a maverick, stick the tube right into the feedport, and a quick changer.
ThePBMinistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:05 AM #18
Wonka

plays in the NXL
Wonka donated to help Peyton Trent
Wonka plays in the APPA D2 division
How much is it to covert a autococker to a pump? Also is there any services that they will install it for you?

HK ARMY

150+ Feedback
Wonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 04:02 PM #19
cockerpunk

anywhere from 25 to about 70 bucks for a pump kit. they are super easy to install and you wont need ashop to do it for you. just take the punes off and bolt the pump kit on. make sure you get the right kit tho.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:34 PM #20
Wonka

plays in the NXL
Wonka donated to help Peyton Trent
Wonka plays in the APPA D2 division
If someone could help me out contact me on aim at p8ntball1126.

HK ARMY

150+ Feedback
Wonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 06:35 PM #21
dyepb20

dyepb20 is a Supporting Member
I have been playing speedball for most of my paintball live, so Ive never used a pump, I however want to try one out. How much would a phantom like pump (the single tube design) run with a constant air set up, but still the 10 round loader set up. And which particular gun would I be looking at for this. Any help would be greatly apreaciated.