Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: The only reason racism exists is because black people can't let it go
I strongly agree with this statement 14 14.43%
I somewhat agree with this statement 37 38.14%
I do not agree or disagree with this statement 2 2.06%
I somewhat disagree with this statement 15 15.46%
I strongly disagree with this statement 29 29.90%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2008, 09:13 PM #1
ipoppedtimmy
Tony

has been a member for 10 years
A Poll to Gauge the personal convictions of ST:P Concerning Race

I'm trying to figure out the next route to go in my discussion of Race and Identity on ST: P, but hit a rock when this came up. I want to know how many of you agree or disagree with this statement. Discuss as you will, but make sure you answer the poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkkoala View Post
the only reason racism exists is becuase black people can't let it go.
Lets assume that we're talking about contemporary American society, and even extend the use of 'black people' to encompass all minority groups in the United States.

Do you agree with this statement?

Buy my Fender Deluxe Tube Amp!
Buy My Autococker Paintball Package
ipoppedtimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-24-2008, 09:24 PM #2
Paint Freak 98
Front Lean and Rest

Strongly disagree.
Paint Freak 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:27 PM #3
JcKa

I strongly disagree.
JcKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:28 PM #4
Oconnore

A lot of minority groups are very racist, and that certainly does nothing to help eliminate racism from our society.

Some might say it is justifiable racism, but I do not believe such a thing exists.
Oconnore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:29 PM #5
Cass
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I think that some black people just like to be victimized and felt sorry for but people of every race do that. On the other hand, I know a lot of hard working black people that are colorblind themselves and don't factor in their race or any other race to how they live their lives.

I think black people are proud of who they are and where they come from so they have a "lingo" i guess and a lifestyle and thats fine, every other race and demographic is different and thats the beauty of America. All races are offered a level playing field to grow and improve.

I will admit i make race jokes but thats all they are is jokes, not hateful remarks and i think people now days tend to be hyper-sensitive about everything. Black people make "cracker" jokes all the time and i think its funny lol.

All in all you will never change how people feel in their heart. You can however change how you react to that person, whether it be feeling sorry for yourself or not let it effect you negatively.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:39 PM #6
JcKa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oconnore View Post
A lot of minority groups are very racist, and that certainly does nothing to help eliminate racism from our society.

Some might say it is justifiable racism, but I do not believe such a thing exists.
The oppressed, in an attempt to retain dignity, in turn oppress those they consider below them.

The Pedagogy of the Oppressed would be a worthy reference for this discussion.

edit: And to those that cite Al Sharpton & Jesse Jackson, those people should not be considered the mouthpieces for black people as a whole, nor should anyone even begin to think that the majority of blacks share their opinion.

Last edited by JcKa : 03-24-2008 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:14 PM #7
AHaydt

Racism has been around since mankind established colonies on this Earth. Racism exists in all facets of life, unfortunately. The problem with racism in our country (USA) is that racism has existed for well over two hundred years. It is not possible to change a thought process that has existed for 2 or 3 hundred years immediately. Great strides have been made in placing the African American, Latino, Indian, etc communities on level playing fields with Caucasians but I don't feel the field will be level for a very, very long time. The same goes for sexism.
AHaydt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:21 PM #8
m3s0h0rn7

The statement presented for questioning is quite possibly the most ignorant and dumbest thing I have ever read, even for ST.

Any attempt to answer this statement with a logical response would be an insult to the poster, OP and the black community and a striking blow as to the obviousness of the answer.

But I have a feeling the statement is being taken out of contex somehow. It seems more like a joke than an actual reasoning. At least, I hope so.

Remember me as a \/ i L //_ 4 1 /\//...
m3s0h0rn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:13 PM #9
ipoppedtimmy
Tony

https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...4#post45818184

Old 03-24-2008, 11:15 PM #10
ipoppedtammy
Skeet Skeet Skeet Skeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoppedtimmy View Post
Beat me to it. I was about to say, "Unfortunately, no."

We do what we must, and call it by the best names.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
ipoppedtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:20 PM #11
FluffyMumkins
mluffyfumkins

It's surely not the only reason but it is one. Think about it.

Asians underwent some extreme **** when they first came to America but you don't see them pulling the race card or complaining as much as people do about blacks being oppressed.

The biggest reason racism exists is because we have eyes. People have always resorted to ridiculing someone for their physical characteristics. It's human nature.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
FluffyMumkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:26 PM #12
JcKa

But technically Asians weren't deported en masse to America by non-Asian captors and forced to work on plantations, which then transitioned into years and years of institutionalized segregation and oppression (which some would argue exist to this day).

Asians did have it very hard though, and it's amazing that people don't complain more about our forcing them into camps during WWII.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:32 PM #13
ipoppedtammy
Skeet Skeet Skeet Skeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcKa View Post
But technically Asians weren't deported en masse to America by non-Asian captors and forced to work on plantations, which then transitioned into years and years of institutionalized segregation and oppression (which some would argue exist to this day).

Asians did have it very hard though, and it's amazing that people don't complain more about our forcing them into camps during WWII.
Part of the reason for less complaints about mistreatment of Asians is probably the simple fact that they make up much less of the population.

Another reason why Asians don't "pull the race card" is because they don't have this plethora of negative stereotypes associated with them. If you had to choose between being stereotyped as a nerdy award-winning pianist mathematician or a stupid criminal, it's pretty obvious which one most people would choose.

We do what we must, and call it by the best names.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
ipoppedtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:33 PM #14
JcKa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoppedtammy View Post
Part of the reason for less complaints about mistreatment of Asians is probably the simple fact that they make up much less of the population.

Another reason why Asians don't "pull the race card" is because they don't have this plethora of negative stereotypes associated with them. If you had to choose between being stereotyped as a nerdy award-winning pianist mathematician or a stupid criminal, it's pretty obvious which one most people would choose.
Makes sense. Good to see you around again.

Last edited by JcKa : 03-24-2008 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:41 PM #15
StellarKnight
Mind Erasure

StellarKnight is a Supporting Member
StellarKnight is a founding member
StellarKnight has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
As sick as it sounds, racism isn't something that's going away just by simply acknowledging that it exists; it's going to have to be bred out of people.
Evil presupposes a moral decision, intention, and some forethought. A moron doesn't stop to think or reason. He acts on instinct, like a stable animal, convinced he's doing good, that he's always right, and sanctimoniously proud to go around ****ing up . . .What the world needs is more thoroughly evil people and fewer idiot ****heads.
StellarKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:57 PM #16
Oconnore

Quote:
The oppressed, in an attempt to retain dignity, in turn oppress those they consider below them.

The Pedagogy of the Oppressed would be a worthy reference for this discussion.
If the oppressed view oppressors as dignified, how are they morally superior? Would that not merely make them consensual recipients of the metaphorical "short straw"?

If someone harms me, and I go and harm someone else, then how am I any better than the person who began the trend?
Old 03-25-2008, 12:00 AM #17
JcKa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oconnore View Post
If the oppressed view oppressors as dignified, how are they morally superior? Would that not merely make them consensual recipients of the metaphorical "short straw"?

If someone harms me, and I go and harm someone else, then how am I any better than the person who began the trend?
You should reread what I typed. In order to retain dignity, the oppressed reflect their anger at being oppressed on the next group that they can. The oppressed don't view the oppressors as dignified, that makes no sense.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:05 AM #18
Swerve22

Reverend Wright is a perfect example. If he hadn't opened his mouth about whites so many times and in so many derogatory ways, the whole country wouldn't be talking about and engaging in racism right now.

www.gunfacts.info
Swerve22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:06 AM #19
JcKa

Explain further.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:09 AM #20
ipoppedtimmy
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerve22 View Post
Reverend Wright is a perfect example. If he hadn't opened his mouth about whites so many times and in so many derogatory ways, the whole country wouldn't be talking about and engaging in racism right now.
Yep, thanks reverend wright for bringing the hate on all those black folks!

Seriously, I am pulling my hair out trying to wrap my brain around how you can make such a claim.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:12 AM #21
Oconnore

Quote:
You should reread what I typed. In order to retain dignity, the oppressed reflect their anger at being oppressed on the next group that they can. The oppressed don't view the oppressors as dignified, that makes no sense.
Well I didn't think so either, but here is your post...
Quote:
Your words (underlined) suggest that the oppressed gain dignity from oppressing others.

This would suggest that they view oppression as a source of dignity (otherwise, how would oppression of others help them maintain dignity?), and would likewise associate their oppressors with that dignity as well.