PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-03-2010, 07:28 PM #22
BallisticPB_Albs
Ya Dig?

has been a member for 10 years
****, I didn't even know there was a college life forum. I had friends that went to Altoona and hated it, but have friends that went to Behrend and loved it. In the end it's the decisions YOU make that will influence your experience there. At least that's what I took from friends who told me about satellite campuses. I was fortunate enough to be at UP my whole time here, so I can't comment personally.

Might consider another campus besides Behrend, their dinning commons caught fire yesterday according to the paper.
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2010, 08:26 PM #23
DoeJERSEY
09 PMR FOR SALE

DoeJERSEY owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
DoeJERSEY owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
yea im on berks, but heres the kicker they can kick ur as out for taking ur **** into a dorm soooo..... wheres teh loop hole at
Old 06-20-2010, 11:56 PM #24
xPSUballer65x

let me know if you still are interested in going to PSU. im currently at a hazleton now. best decision of my life. anyone that tells you that UP classes are harder are retarded. its the same material throughout every campus. as a matter of fact i recieved my chemistry final from UP. anyway enough of that BS if you wanna know some inside stuff about how the satalites work PM me id be happy to explain how it really works
xPSUballer65x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:40 PM #25
esteban mendez
OG status

thanks for the enthusiasm, i appreciate it but i've committed some place else.
esteban mendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:10 PM #26
MVPaintballer
Mega Flagellator

MVPaintballer is a Moderator
MVPaintballer is a Supporting Member
MVPaintballer donated to help Peyton Trent
MVPaintballer supports Bob Gurnsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPSUballer65x View Post
let me know if you still are interested in going to PSU. im currently at a hazleton now. best decision of my life. anyone that tells you that UP classes are harder are retarded. its the same material throughout every campus. as a matter of fact i recieved my chemistry final from UP. anyway enough of that BS if you wanna know some inside stuff about how the satalites work PM me id be happy to explain how it really works
UP classes are harder because the competition is higher and the curves aren't as drastic. Also, the professors are engaged in much more active research and it really shows in their instruction.

I was at a satellite for 3 semesters and then UP for 6. It's not because classes get progressively harder either. I took a summer semester at Abington after my first year at PSU, and everyone was still really dumb.

Everyone I know also says the same thing, satellites are fairly easy. I know a lot of people who dropped out of UP and enrolled in satellites since they were easier.

But you probably have 2 semesters at a satellite under your belt, so you must know everything about UP.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:09 PM #27
xPSUballer65x

its not that...aunts in admin office. specifically the deans office, so i know a thing or two about how they select students for UP. its not like its a secret about who they allow in UP. unless youre major isnt offered at any other campus, your SAT's and GPA are superb, or financially set to pay off tuition for the year without aid youre not getting into UP...its far too competitive at this point. it really is that simple. sucks its like that but like i said i opted to go to a satallite and it was a great decision personally. as for surrounding students MVP is right, and at least in my experience were pretty dumb
Old 06-28-2010, 11:46 PM #28
brickwall329
i'm steve!

brickwall329 helped look for balloons
I got into UP, and I almost decided to go to York for 2 years just to save money. However, I'm going to UP for all 4 years. I just decided that I'd rather enjoy all 4 years at a big campus and make as much of my college experience as I can.
brickwall329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:28 PM #29
xPSUballer65x

hell man if you can make it with a great GPA and still live the UP life go for it. cant beat the life up there lol, just gotta stay focused and youll be fine. are you gonna be a freshmen?
Old 06-29-2010, 04:55 PM #30
MVPaintballer
Mega Flagellator

MVPaintballer is a Moderator
MVPaintballer is a Supporting Member
MVPaintballer donated to help Peyton Trent
MVPaintballer supports Bob Gurnsey
I think everyone I know had a ****ty first year or 2 at UP because of how happy the valley gets. And regardless of this warning and the many others you'll get, you'll probably fall victim to that. So just make sure when you get your grades back disappointed, quit drinking and start reading, or you won't make it through.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:25 PM #31
pballstarx124x
Boner Patrol

pballstarx124x is for the Gunfight
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1bg View Post
no im at behrend all 4 years for two reasons.
1. main (or UP as everyone at pennstate calls it) doesn't have plastics engineering.
2. behrend has a much better engineering program. there have been students in the past transfer from main to behrend.

behrend is erie but everyone that i have spoken with calls it behrend.

behrends strong point is engineering and susposedly business and management. im getting a minor and management right now and i'll tell you what the classes are easy.
Actually people at main call it main. Branch people call it UP

No way about that Behrend is better than main. Sorry, but the funding differences and job opportunities with job fairs, internships, coops, etc is not even comparable
pballstarx124x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:39 PM #32
xPSUballer65x

never understood the whole transition from main to UP, i didnt start calling it UP until i actually got to PSU. everyone should call it UP, seeing as it is the UP campus
Old 07-14-2010, 10:59 PM #33
prelic

prelic owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
prelic plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPSUballer65x View Post
never understood the whole transition from main to UP, i didnt start calling it UP until i actually got to PSU. everyone should call it UP, seeing as it is the UP campus
It is also Penn State's "main" campus
Old 08-10-2010, 12:01 PM #34
JoeisanAssassin
JoKeR

JoeisanAssassin owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
JoeisanAssassin has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
JoeisanAssassin has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
For me, it came down to what I wanted to do. I am going to Worthington/Scranton for 2 years due to the fact that I have no clue what I want to study. So I figured I would do 2 years at a satellite to figure out what I wanted to do and then go in to UP with a declared major.
JoeisanAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:49 PM #35
prelic

prelic owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
prelic plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeisanAssassin View Post
For me, it came down to what I wanted to do. I am going to Worthington/Scranton for 2 years due to the fact that I have no clue what I want to study. So I figured I would do 2 years at a satellite to figure out what I wanted to do and then go in to UP with a declared major.
Not a bad idea.

Anyone gonna be back in the valley soon? One more week, can't wait.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:25 AM #36
dude1it
Christopher

dude1it helped look for balloons
dude1it is an NCPA player
dude1it is a top reviewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelic View Post
You go to a branch (Erie/Behrend is the only good one) either because your there for one of the handful of majors main doesn't offer (plastics, software engineering), or your trying to transfer to main, in which case, go do your two years at Behrend, get decent grades, and you'll be able to transfer without a problem. Getting used to being a junior at main for the first year is easier said than done.

Also, University Park =/= Behrend, in terms of academics, atmostphere, or anything else that isn't snow.

--Junior, all 3 at UP, but I know at ton of kids that did the Behrend thing
Necrobump, however this is relevant.

I'd have to disagree on your =/= on academics in relation to main. I don't believe (from all of the people I've talked to/transfers/professors) that PSU Main has academics that stand out over behrend, at all. Plastics engineering at PSB is known world wide (funny, the program was actually created by my Uncle in the 80's...regret not following that path and doing CS instead :/ ) - main doesn't offer it. So yes, pbstar, a plastics degree from PSB is just as credible if not more credible than a main degree...in fact, Behrend has grown to be known for its academics. I'm transferring there (back home) for the smaller setting this upcoming semester from the University of Pittsburgh. Smaller classes show benefits in certain aspects...we'll see how this plays out.

The only thing Penn State Main has over a lot of colleges is alumni funding and size. Academic wise, from what I've seen in programs while comparing to Pitt, they seem less intensive (at least from what I've seen CS and Bio)...then again, Pitt is one of the top funded research schools for Biology and such, and as a Bioinformatics major I wasn't able to venture out or care to talk to others/look up any information on other major coursework. Having been accepted to both main campuses, it made sense to choose Pitt. After having dealt with a semi-large campus, I'm now able to see the benefits of a smaller class size (PSB is 16 students to every 1 professor).

Summing it up: Penn State Behrend is the only Penn State campus I would choose to go to, as it fits my learning abilities better. If you're into the bigger school, and can deal with large class sizes, main's not a bad choice (but obviously, I'm biased toward Pitt if you were to choose this ).

Pittsburgh All American Heroes 2012

Last edited by dude1it : 11-30-2012 at 02:40 AM.
dude1it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:21 PM #37
ProtoBaller1991
Come to VLN my child

ProtoBaller1991 donated to help Peyton Trent
ProtoBaller1991 supports Team VICIOUS
ProtoBaller1991 supports Team VICIOUS
ProtoBaller1991 posts videos on PbNation
I don't think he's going to come back to read your post^

Instagram
ProtoBaller1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:46 PM #38
dude1it
Christopher

dude1it helped look for balloons
dude1it is an NCPA player
dude1it is a top reviewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoBaller1991 View Post
I don't think he's going to come back to read your post^
The beauty of forgotten subscriptions. Either way, post was relevant and seeing as I'd experienced both in the past, seems like it could come in handy for someone else

Pittsburgh All American Heroes 2012
dude1it is offline   Reply With Quote