PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 08-06-2001, 12:37 PM #1
paintballdude_13

has been a member for 10 years
Making my 98 better for tournys???

What upgrades do you suggest for my 98. I know you hear it all the time people asking what they suggest. I have a good amount of stuff on my 98 as it is. I'm wondering what would make my gun even better. I have what's in my signature and the cp and stickies are in the mail. I dont know if i should leave my gun as it is and buy more things like a demision harness and a jersy so when we start playing next year in tournys or what. I'm thinking nitro so my gun will be more consistant. I think I'm going to hold off on nitro till my local field that I play at gets nitro.(which shouldn't be to long) I'm thinking a 68ci but if they get fills there and I can get a pass for unlimited air I might get a 47 so I'm really small and compact. I dont want to spend tons and tons of money but I'm still willing to spend some.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-06-2001, 01:56 PM #2
in trauma

6in drop forward
warp feed
good trigger job
new bolt
warp feed
rear cocking with beavertail
reg
nitro
Old 08-06-2001, 03:34 PM #3
crm

stick with upgrades that have a proven track record for increasing performance like a reg and nitro. if you dont have a nitro yet, get a palmer stab regulator and it will perform very well with co2 and later when you get nitro. if you have a decent barrel there is really nothing else you absolutely need. and stay away from any so-called super bolt. the bolt in the stock 98 is good just the way it is and the aftermarket ones are known to cause more problems than they "solve". dont make the common mistake of buying junk that doesnt really do anything, save the money and get some paint and practice, practice, practice. finally, take some time with your gun and use it. after a while you might notice something that you think should feel different and then you can change that. no reason to fix something that isnt broken
Old 08-06-2001, 05:11 PM #4
Siva

hook it up w/

compressed ait & maybe an electro kit. Or you can be like me & junk the 98 & get another marker (maybe not an angel, but an imp is great & cheap!). I know, I know, i luv my 98 (thats why i haven't sold it, but i also haven't used it for a while either. Also I love the flatline barrel, great for woods ball but not so great for tourneys, also polish out the stock barrel - only then it shoots sweet (thats all i used right before i got another marker).
& by the way, there's no need for a warp feed, really. yeah the thing is totally cool, but still.
Old 08-06-2001, 05:17 PM #5
Siva

one other thing

depending on how much paint you throw, go for the 68 ci. anything smaller is ok for a hopper or 2. I was able 2 only get about a hopper & about 4 - 100 rd tubes per game before running low or out (depending on how much the field fill it up 2 - most of the time not even close to 3000 psi which totally sucks!).
Old 08-06-2001, 05:42 PM #6
VooDoo_Weazel

VooDoo_Weazel is a founding member
VooDoo_Weazel plays in the PSP
my brother has a 98 custom with double trigger, CP barrel, 12v revvy, and 47/3k preset tank and drop forward and a WGP reg. thats pretty much a tournament m98 without spending too much, anything else is really just to make the trigger pull shorter or whatever (electro kit). i would not suggest getting the 47ci tank, it will not make you any more compact. 47ci tanks are the same length as 68ci's, just a little skinnier and actually heavier. my 68ci on his m98 feels alot better than the 47. just my two pigs...

later
Ninja Paintball
Planet Eclipse
TMG OUTLAWS
Old 08-06-2001, 05:57 PM #7
FSU Paintball

FSU Paintball is a Supporting Member
I'd get this:
68 ci nitro tank
Palmer regulator
Psycho Ballistics drop-forward
12 volt revvy
double trigger (the metal kind)
RT trigger
a good barrel (Lapco BigShot is great).
Old 08-06-2001, 11:50 PM #8
dager
Mega Moderator

dager is a founding member
dager supports Bob Gurnsey
dager supports Sherwood Forest
id hold off on any RT mod untill after this tourney season.. usualy most leages will review the season and decide if any of the rules should change.. right now there are lots of rummors floating around as to the future of the RT triggers and their legality in tourneys,

-duff

Team ESP
Old 08-07-2001, 08:07 AM #9
paintballdude_13

ok thanks for all your ideas i think i'm gonna get this stuff in this order

1. Nitro
2. Redz Demison Harness
3. Jersy
4. Gloves

that's what i'm thinking but i dont know for sure
Old 08-07-2001, 06:38 PM #10
Crisfofusu
"Crackhead"

crm, and others... wassup with the aftermarket bolts for the 98?

like the venturi or starfire bolts? why are they so bad? i hear they chop balls and cause more problems then they solve... but why?

have you actually used these bolts and are talking straight from experience or are you going on heresay?

I am very curious about this.
Old 08-07-2001, 08:52 PM #11
Meph

Meph is a Supporting Member
I guarantee you..... it's mostly hear-say!

I'll tell you that it does not help performance, but actually at times hurt it. However, I never had it chop paint like people say it does. I don't know, maybe I had one that was special and didn't chop paint like everybody elses.

My Sponsors:
Fat babies on Maury
Guinness
And my newest Sponsor.... Charmin!
Old 08-08-2001, 01:00 PM #12
crm

one of the guys i play with/against bought a star bolt for his 98 for who knows why. it made a noticable difference in the size of his wallet and did nothing for the performance of his gun. this matched exactly what i had seen from others that it does nothing positive and in many cases will cause ball chopping. and if you have a flatline barrel, you definitely shouldnt use an aftermarket bolt, they are well known to cause chopping widda flatline.

but no, i have never used one personally on my own gun. didnt need one. any problems that those bolts claim to fix can be easily remedied thru other proven methods and without extra expense.

and paintball dude13, dont neglect a good regulator. if you go nitro, you can find a used stock cocker reg for 25 bux. much more consistent and better efficiency. or just get a palmer and run the gun on co2, should be almost as good and less than half the price of a nitro/reg setup.

and finally - practice, practice, paint-barrel match, practice