Community Focus

Old 05-14-2008, 06:23 PM #1
Fubarius
Wow, it is blue.

Fubarius is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
Fubarius supports our troops
The different characters a Ref plays.

Over the years that I reffed I found that depending on the group I was reffing I would feel like I was playing a character. And different groups needed different characters.

The Judge.
Usually had to play this character with tournament players, being able to quote rules from various tournament series, assigning penalties like it was a tournament, solving arguments, etc. You end up sounding like a lawyer.

The Drill Sargent.
This character was for the more fun rental parties. The guys looking to be weekend warriors for a day. Didn't have to explain why when stating rules, didn't have to make 'suggestions', just had to bark orders and they'd happily obey. The more I barked, the more they liked it.

The Babysitter.
This was for the young rental parties, and unfortunately some of the older groups, and even certain tournament players (you know the type). Having to constantly run around and make sure no one gets an eye shot out. Shouting "Masks ON!" and "Barrel cover ON!" over, and over, and over. Sitting players out a few games (putting them on "Timeout") for not obeying rules. Having to explain "why" for every decision I make. This I do NOT miss.

The Suggester.
You need to pull this character out of the bag for certain rec players and tournament players. They guys who know "everything" about paintball (or at least "think" they know). You say they "have" to do something (play on a certain field, chrono to a certain speed, use a real barrel condom instead of a squeegee shoved down their barrel) and they'll dig their heels in and explain how they've "always" did it their way, or how they "only" want to play this way or on a certain field. However if you "suggest" that something might be fun to try, or that it might be better or safer to do it a certain way, then they'll usually obey. If you're good you can make them think it's actually their idea.

The Expert.
This was for most rec and tournament players. You're they're equal, but you just happen to know a bit more than they do and they know it. You know all the field rules, you know how each field plays and which games work best on each, you've seen all the mistakes that other people have made. You make a decision and they'll readily agree since you know more than they do. Not that they'd admit it, and you better not rub their noses in it or they'll revolt and you end up Babbysitting. But if you stay friendly and fair they'll do everything you say.

Anyone have any others?
Fubarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-14-2008, 06:29 PM #2
danbob1088
succisa virescit

danbob1088 is a Paintball photographer
danbob1088 is an NCPA player
danbob1088 plays in the APPA D5 division
I can't say I've ever seen the 2nd, but I agree with the idea of the rest.

flickr
danbob1088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:27 PM #3
lamorte
mod a la mode

lamorte is a Supporting Member
lamorte donated to help Peyton Trent
lamorte supports our troops
nice post and.........true, true

✩☾ habitually nocturnal ☾✩
lamorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:59 PM #4
railz
Manamana - DooDooDeDooDoo

railz is a Supporting Member
railz donated to help Peyton Trent
railz is playing at Living Legends III
railz supports our troops
I feel like a cross between a babysitter and a Judge reffing the "agg" contingent of players nowadays.

Classic from last weekend. Kid who thinks he's the next Ollie Lang is lit up as he makes a run from back corner to California bunker (snake insert). I see the hits and call him out, and he proceeds to swear and argue with me yelling "where's the hits? where are they?" - when I point to the two on his chest and the two on his marker, he claims they're from last game.

I just tell him to walk, and remind myself why I love playing with the older crowd so much.
railz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 01:24 PM #5
Bonestock98 III
I'm gonna make love to ya

Bonestock98 III helped look for balloons
Good post, possibly worth stickying.
OHIO 'ballers club member #21
"Originally posted by Rebeltilldeath3: Two outcomes; jail or gay. Both options end with a dick in his ***.
"
Bonestock98 III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:10 PM #6
MiLLz
NPPL Ground Ninja #2

MiLLz is a Supporting Member
MiLLz owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
MiLLz supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by railz View Post
I feel like a cross between a babysitter and a Judge reffing the "agg" contingent of players nowadays.

Classic from last weekend. Kid who thinks he's the next Ollie Lang is lit up as he makes a run from back corner to California bunker (snake insert). I see the hits and call him out, and he proceeds to swear and argue with me yelling "where's the hits? where are they?" - when I point to the two on his chest and the two on his marker, he claims they're from last game.

I just tell him to walk, and remind myself why I love playing with the older crowd so much.
Ha, I thought God was the snake insert. Im not caught up with the lingo yet.
MiLLz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:29 PM #7
John
Administrator

Annual Supporting Member
John is an Administrator
John works for a Paintball manufacturer
 is playing at Living Legends XI
John supports Empire
John is All In
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiLLz View Post
Ha, I thought God was the snake insert. Im not caught up with the lingo yet.
It's different from team to team.

We deserve better villains.
"I have not seen an automag shot in anger in 10 years." Tom Cole
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:04 PM #8
Tonkered

nice post, ive done every single one you wrote about, my favorite is the second one, getting 14 v 14 to do a "death march" at my suggestion! Good post.
Tonkered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 01:27 AM #9
Aero$mitty
Ef. Em. El.

The god bunker is one of the back bunkers, usually the center, where the main back player (god) can see and call out most of the field.
When in after times I died.
PSN: BLUNT_TRAUMA_117
Aero$mitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:04 AM #10
Ryan_The_Newfie

I always thought god refered to the fact that without the help of God its the only bunker a back player will make off the break.
Ryan_The_Newfie is offline   Reply With Quote