PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-07-2008, 09:48 PM #1
jon1985

has been a member for 10 years
custom grinding

hello all
I recently got an epiphany that the previous owner had tried to dye the rubber parts and failed. It looks really dumb. I was thinkin about cuttingit off and doing some nice custom grinding on the gun. I have the proper metal working tools and skill. So the question I have is, if I grind of the finish, which is inevitable, do I need to do anything to the surface after Im done to finish it or just leave it? Thanks for the help.
jon1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2008, 09:54 PM #2
Slider_68

grinding is such a harsh word, we perfer milling, you'll have to get it reanno'd when your done to get the colors to match
Old 12-07-2008, 09:56 PM #3
9Tippmann8
Washed Up

Sand/polish it...then get it re annoed or if you like the polished metal look then leave it like that.
9Tippmann8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:59 PM #4
cook23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider_68 View Post
grinding is such a harsh word, we perfer milling, you'll have to get it reanno'd when your done to get the colors to match

I'm interested in seeing what the finished product looks like; I've never seen a custom milled epiphany...
cook23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:59 PM #5
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

whenever your done, use a fine grain sandpaper, like 2000 grit to smooth out the rough spots. then get some metal polish when your done.

but im going to tell you, doing something like this by hand...takes an extremely long time.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:00 PM #6
jon1985

I know grinding is nasty. I just said grinding cuz ther will be alot of it. I am gonna try to smooth the body out as much as possible. I would like to leave it the metal colour so I willfinish sand everything so the colours all match. DoI need to have clear coat put on it or can it stay raw? Metal polish, is that not to just make it shine? Orwill it protect it?
Old 12-07-2008, 10:01 PM #7
eforcegtid00d
factorypb

eforcegtid00d plays in the PSP
eforcegtid00d owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Moved to voided warranty forum.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:03 PM #8
cook23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1985 View Post
I know grinding is nasty. I just said grinding cuz ther will be alot of it. I am gonna try to smooth the body out as much as possible. I would like to leave it the metal colour so I willfinish sand everything so the colours all match. DoI need to have clear coat put on it or can it stay raw?
I'm not 100% sure, but it seems like you would have to. It'll keep it protected like other kinds of coatings do to wood, chain-link fencing, etc.
cook23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:04 PM #9
Greg!

Greg! plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
Greg! is an NCPA player
Greg! plays in the APPA D2 division
Whenever you do finish it, please post pics, as it would definantly be interesting to see. But I'd reanno it just to stay on the safe side if I were you.
Greg! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:05 PM #10
jon1985

yeah thats what i was thinking. I dont have much experience with aluminium so I wasnt sure what to do to the surface when im done.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:06 PM #11
capt.Perfect.Timing
lol

its not milling. there is no mill involved. He was correct in calling it grinding. Once you are done, take the steps stated above to get it smooth, but your going to want to get something done to it to prevent the aluminum from oxidizing (anodizing or powdercoat are the best options.)
capt.Perfect.Timing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:08 PM #12
jon1985

ok so the next question would be. Is there anywhere in Canada that can do a decent job of clear coating it? Any ideas?
Old 12-07-2008, 10:20 PM #13
Waxball88
Ego♥

THe epip is magnesium which i dotn think you can anno dize, so please leave it as is.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:23 PM #14
jon1985

ok well if it cant be annoed what coating is on it now? Im not trying to be a prick. Imjust asking. How does the magnesium alloy react to the air? If i leave it uninished what will happen? I suppose that depends on the mixture of magnesium to the rest of the metals. Any help would be great. Thanks

Last edited by jon1985 : 12-07-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:39 PM #15
unfairtebo
ibunkru

Probably some sort of plating. You could get it powder coated or dura coated if you want.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:43 PM #16
jon1985

Well I paid $90 including shipping for the gun and bnib halo b. Both work fine. So Ill give it a shot and keep looking for possibilities. I have 3 auto body shops around my shop and atleast 2 do powder coating soill talk to them. Ill take pictures through out the process and post up when im done. Christmas break is coming up shold get lots done. I tend to go all out on a project when i start so hopefully by the new year it will be almost done.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:44 PM #17
brcbianchi
my anger management tool

brcbianchi plays in the PSP
brcbianchi is an NCPA player
brcbianchi plays in the APPA D4 division
brcbianchi has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
brcbianchi has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
whatever you do, do not try grinding bro there is a hight possiblilty of that ****er lighting up like a christmas tree, magnesium and heat= bright *** fire

DEMON CUSTOM ANNO PINK LEMONADE 2013
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...9#post78790439

https://www.pbnation.com/feedback.php?u=275818
brcbianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:13 PM #18
reaper_t_r
The Swampballer

I dont know much about the epiphany, but I will second what brcbianchi said. Magnesium can be very dangerous, especially in powder form. Once it starts burning, it is almost impossible to put it out, and it is so hot that it can catch almost anything on fire, including aluminum shavings. I have seen it with my own eyes.

So if it is magnesium, and you are gonna grind it, please be extremely careful. Take it slow. Clean up after yourself every so often. Do not have any sorces of ignition in the area, including the sparks from an electric motor. The dust and shavings can get into it and the sparks are hot enough to ignite the magnesium.

With that being said, hope it turns out great. You will have to get a clear coat done, cause magnesium oxidizes pretty fast. Post pics when you are finished.
reaper_t_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:20 PM #19
washington (Banned)

is anyone sure its mag cause i dont think smart parts would make a mag body for a cheaper marker
washington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:47 AM #20
b00mheadsh0t
I am all that is agg

I'm not sure how much magnesium is in the gun, but yeah be careful... keep it away from rust and fire.

Magnesium + rust + flame=thermite, melts anything it touches... epiphany no so much anymore.

WTB CHEAP REG+ON/OFF
b00mheadsh0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:35 PM #21
jon1985

The manual says magnesium alloy body. Im not sure what percentage of magnesium there is in it. Warnings noted and appreciated. I may just get a couple of super coarse files and go to town by hand.