Old 04-13-2014, 01:11 PM #1
DarkickThis

DarkickThis owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
DarkickThis supports Team VICIOUS
DarkickThis is an NCPA player
DarkickThis plays in the APPA D4 division
Angry The refs for NCPA 2014 AA were terrible this year

This is exactly how this point was played:

After a little bit into the point, it was down to a 2v1 situation. Then, my player shot the last guy, but got a minor because he was already hit in the pod pack but didn't know it. The other team's player walks of the field (out of bounds) and my 2nd player gets pulled off the field. In addition, the time stops.

In this situation it is suppose to be a draw, because the time stop, which indicates no active players. But instead, the ref said it was the other teams point???

Not to mention, the Blue Devils played a point against that same team later on, and they got a major penalty. The player that got assigned that major asked the ref to show him where he got shot. AND THE REF COULDN'T DO IT.

Like c'mon NCPA, let's get some refs that know what they are doing. I felt that the refs called the other team winning because the refs wanted to leave. The ref that looked in his late 30s-40 and with trucker-look definitely didn't look happy and didn't make the right calls at all.

If refs can't make right calls or justify why certain calls were made, why would we want to come back? Or why would any team want to compete in this league?
DarkickThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-13-2014, 08:41 PM #2
creeksideballer

Hey, you are not the only ones we had bad refing from Saturday morning true deep into finals today. I think lots of teams will agree with you. We even had the score table today say a call was made wrong right in front of them, which if made right would have put us in the match for first and second.
creeksideballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:46 PM #3
usedpaintballstuff

usedpaintballstuff plays in the PSP
usedpaintballstuff plays in the APPA D4 division
usedpaintballstuff has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
usedpaintballstuff has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
well in the end..justice was served...lol
2009 Regional 3-Man Champs
2008 World Cup Champs
usedpaintballstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:00 AM #4
myhomieg
2k6

has been a member for 10 years
myhomieg owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
myhomieg is an NCPA player
myhomieg supports Pev's Paintball
Not to complain, we had a player get a penalty for yelling "Im Out" too many times

Radford University Paintball Team

|G.I. Sportz|Dye|Vforce|Draxxus|
|PEVS|
myhomieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:23 AM #5
witeboy10
Scrub Lyfe 404

plays in the NXL
 plays in the NXL 2
witeboy10 is an NCPA player
Reffing is never going to be perfect, were all human and make mistakes, but if your going to have a national event, why not have experienced refs that know what there doing?
Collegiate World Cup Champions 2016
witeboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:56 AM #6
CEFRAZEE

CEFRAZEE plays in the PSP
CEFRAZEE is an NCPA player
CEFRAZEE is an NCPA National Champion
CEFRAZEE plays in the APPA D4 division
But how are you going to know they weren't experienced refs?. Look the tournament is over now there is nothing any team can do about it except grind harder for next season
Old 04-14-2014, 08:19 AM #7
tyronejk
titular

tyronejk plays in the MiLP
tyronejk is an NCPA player
tyronejk plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEFRAZEE View Post
But how are you going to know they weren't experienced refs?. Look the tournament is over now there is nothing any team can do about it except grind harder for next season
You know how experienced a ref is by how many previous tourneys they've reffed. And there is something we can do. We can get the NCPA to get new, better refs for next year's Nationals. To do that, we need as many separate accounts as possible from as many teams as possible of the bull**** calls by the refs.

edit: I see you're from NC State. You were one of, maybe the only team, that had bad calls made in favor of you, so you're not defending the refs from an objective point-of-view.

Last edited by tyronejk : 04-14-2014 at 08:21 AM.
tyronejk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:28 AM #8
shark6428
Sideline paint sponge

shark6428 is a Paintball photographer
shark6428 posts videos on PbNation
Experienced refs cost money. No amount of complaints is going to change the fact that the NCPA runs on a shoestring budget and can't afford all the niceties of the PSP and (I have no knowledge of what the refs are payed) that includes using all the best refs.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
shark6428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:30 AM #9
Deimus85
Playground Legend

Deimus85 is a Supporting Member
Deimus85 is an NCPA National Champion
Deimus85 plays in the APPA D2 division
Deimus85 supports DLX Technology
I thought the reffing on both field 2 and 3 was fine. They were strict and stuck to their guns. They made the right calls in a much higher percentage of the time than the wrong call. The only complaint I had was some language from their mouths, but I have a pirate mouth myself and wasn't bothered by it (but can see why spectators would be).

Last edited by Deimus85 : 04-14-2014 at 08:32 AM.
Deimus85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:23 AM #10
devilspaintball
Hustle, Fight, Grind!!!

devilspaintball plays in the USPL
devilspaintball plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
devilspaintball is an NCPA player
I thought the refs were great personally on field 2. The only issue I have was during the 2nd point in the class AA final where I was pulled for pointing my gun down field before the point started. The physical rule states if a player SHOOTS his gun down field, not aim, and that is also what the ref stated before the point but then pulled me. If I am wrong on this rule can anyone please post where in the NCPA rule book it states this because I couldn't find it but I believe in the PSP it states shooting down field.
Powered By: G.I. Sportz | Tippmann Paintball
devilspaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:33 AM #11
tyronejk
titular

tyronejk plays in the MiLP
tyronejk is an NCPA player
tyronejk plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilspaintball View Post
I thought the refs were great personally on field 2. The only issue I have was during the 2nd point in the class AA final where I was pulled for pointing my gun down field before the point started. The physical rule states if a player SHOOTS his gun down field, not aim, and that is also what the ref stated before the point but then pulled me. If I am wrong on this rule can anyone please post where in the NCPA rule book it states this because I couldn't find it but I believe in the PSP it states shooting down field.
Yeah, IIRC you have to shoot downfield within 10 seconds of the point starting to be pulled. My team had a player pulled for shooting one ball downfield at 15 seconds or so.

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deimus85 View Post
I thought the reffing on both field 2 and 3 was fine. They were strict and stuck to their guns. They made the right calls in a much higher percentage of the time than the wrong call. The only complaint I had was some language from their mouths, but I have a pirate mouth myself and wasn't bothered by it (but can see why spectators would be).
Sure, they probably had made more right calls than wrong, but even when 20% of a ref's calls are wrong, they're a bad ref. They were pulling minors and majors for pack hits without even telling players they were out. IIRC pack hits are the only hits explicitly stated in the PSP rulebook as "non-obvious" hits.

Last edited by tyronejk : 04-14-2014 at 11:38 AM.
tyronejk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:10 PM #12
Scottyboy101

Rule 6.4.2.2 in the psp rule book, which is the ncpa rule book essentially. I'm on my phone so I can't post it. It states that it does not matter if you shoot or not it's the action that you did point it down field. It's not a new rule.

Edit: 6.4.2.2. Player discharged a marker downfield and/or in the general direction of their opponent prior to the point start, or prior to “tagging up”,

Last edited by Scottyboy101 : 04-14-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Scottyboy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:25 PM #13
D.P.4life

If your gun comes to a level at which it can cause a threat to the other team regardless of it being fired or not, you'll get pulled 9.9/10.

Anyways, just like in any sport there are going to be bad calls and what not. It's a pretty general concept in all other sports to, "Play good enough so that the refs can't make mistakes." I don't know why people don't carry that concept more into paintball.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:24 PM #14
myhomieg
2k6

myhomieg owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
myhomieg is an NCPA player
myhomieg supports Pev's Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyronejk View Post
Yeah, IIRC you have to shoot downfield within 10 seconds of the point starting to be pulled. My team had a player pulled for shooting one ball downfield at 15 seconds or so.

edit:

Sure, they probably had made more right calls than wrong, but even when 20% of a ref's calls are wrong, they're a bad ref. They were pulling minors and majors for pack hits without even telling players they were out. IIRC pack hits are the only hits explicitly stated in the PSP rulebook as "non-obvious" hits.
agree with this, but i dont think the refs were bad, we recieved 3 majors at our scrimmage the week before the event, so we made sure when we got to the event the refs had NO reason to pull us

Radford University Paintball Team

|G.I. Sportz|Dye|Vforce|Draxxus|
|PEVS|
myhomieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:37 PM #15
_Slightly Stoopid_
NPPL/APL Pro Player

_Slightly Stoopid_ plays in the PSP
_Slightly Stoopid_ plays in the MiLP
_Slightly Stoopid_ is an NCPA player
_Slightly Stoopid_ plays in the APPA D3 division
single A...
lots of issues with refs this yr...

one main issue was a false major thrown....

ultimate even called a techniqual timeout ...came up to me mid match while coaching and said...
"my refs ****ed up but there is nothing i can do about it now..."

WTF?!

like WTF??!?!

hire ONLY psp refs chris... local hometeam reffing has gotta stop.

also

NIB tank sales must be really down for a league to start taking and keeping players tanks so they have to buy new ones instead of just rehydroing

other then that... event was great.
!!DYE NT SUPERSALE!!

Last edited by _Slightly Stoopid_ : 04-14-2014 at 01:48 PM.
_Slightly Stoopid_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:53 PM #16
Henrybg
Son of the South

Henrybg plays in the PSP
Henrybg supports Cereal Killerz 2
Henrybg is an NCPA player
Henrybg plays in the APPA D4 division
Henrybg is Boss
Henrybg is All In
Henrybg owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
I agree with most everyone and think that hometown refs are cheap but bad juju; and often times people get what they pay for. Also I'm not saying that there was/is favoritism but when you play with/know the guys you are reffing there is always room to help them out a little more. An unbiased PSP ref squad would be great.
Henrybg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:15 PM #17
shark6428
Sideline paint sponge

shark6428 is a Paintball photographer
shark6428 posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Slightly Stoopid_ View Post
NIB tank sales must be really down for a league to start taking and keeping players tanks so they have to buy new ones instead of just rehydroing
They aren't pulling tanks that aren't new, they're pulling tanks that are out of hydro. One of the tanks pulled Friday was an Angel tank, made in 2004 with a 3 year hydro rating. That's a 4500 psi bomb/projectile next to someones face and it's 7 years past due for testing.

This is a rule that's always been in the rulebooks, but not been very well enforced. It's coming from the PSP down to affiliate leagues and others. I'm glad it's being done and hopefully will encourage people to send their tanks to be tested. I'd prefer not to be on the wrong end of Newton's Third Law.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
shark6428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:51 PM #18
EGOtistical Baller

EGOtistical Baller plays in the PSP
EGOtistical Baller plays in the MiLP
EGOtistical Baller is an NCPA player
EGOtistical Baller plays in the APPA D5 division
As a liberty player.. Our majors were assessed accordingly... But the finals game was total BS.. In the words of UCONN fans.. "HOMETEAM FAVORITES *clap clap**clap clap clap*"

"Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty." 2 Corinthians 3:17
EGOtistical Baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:53 PM #19
_Slightly Stoopid_
NPPL/APL Pro Player

_Slightly Stoopid_ plays in the PSP
_Slightly Stoopid_ plays in the MiLP
_Slightly Stoopid_ is an NCPA player
_Slightly Stoopid_ plays in the APPA D3 division
yes they should b checking and not letting expired tanks on the field but check before the match not mid point.... and give the tank back... u cant just keep it and hold it for 100 dollar ransom
!!DYE NT SUPERSALE!!

Last edited by _Slightly Stoopid_ : 04-14-2014 at 02:56 PM.
_Slightly Stoopid_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:56 PM #20
andrewcooke93
@adotcooke

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Slightly Stoopid_ View Post
single A...
lots of issues with refs this yr...

also

My tank was taken also and it was one of the DXS tanks from 2006, well out of hydro I'm aware, but still in perfect condition and still a better tank than many of the new ones out there today. I'm a college kid that has to eat ramen noodles because I have no money and I cannot afford another tank-- I could have afforded to rehydro it, if given the chance... a penalty and holding the tank until after the event would have been sufficient. Last time I checked, there was no press release stating that you guys would be stealing our tanks if not in hydro this year. I thought the NCPA was supposed to help college kids play paintball? How does stealing our equipment because it is out of date fit into your business values? I've never seen this rule enforced in the way you guys handled it, and it is pretty obvious what is going on here between you and the tank manufacturers. Is a penalty and holding it until the event is over not enough?
andrewcooke93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:58 PM #21
Ryan@CPX

Ryan@CPX supports Empire
Ryan@CPX is All In
Ryan@CPX is All In
Quote:
Originally Posted by myhomieg View Post
Not to complain, we had a player get a penalty for yelling "Im Out" too many times
thats a penalty.

Check us out:
www.cpxsports.com
www.cplpaintball.com

Often imitated, never duplicated.
Ryan@CPX is offline   Reply With Quote