that omlette's about to get cookin
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2008, 02:53 AM #1367
xfactor6911

xfactor6911 plays in the PSP
xfactor6911 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
xfactor6911 is an NCPA player
xfactor6911 plays in the APPA D4 division
More news of buyout of nppl and reformat of psp. Posted on pbreserve.
2009 Paintball League chatter

Throughout the course of the week/end we have heard tons of talk regarding 2009 and where teams are going to end up playing. While Pacific Paintball is working on selling itself off to the highest bidder (Bruce is said to be asking for $1,000,000.00 USD for the NPPL brand, fields, nets, etc.), many leagues are popping up to provide teams a chance to prove themselves.

Over the course of the last several months we’ve heard several mentions of a new regional 7-man league being formed up by two Pro franchises. While an official announcement is said to be coming this week, we’ve heard this new series will be focused in and around California with Rookie, Intermediate, and Novice classes. Entry will be consistent with that of the XPSL, but this time around novice teams will be competing for a guaranteed $6,000.00 prize purse. Teams will be competing for what we will refer to as NPPL-level prize money at XPSL-prices. Another important item to note; the well respected Sacramento XSV and San Diego Aftermath pro teams will be judging & refereeing the series. This is an important facet of the league as teams are talking ever increasingly about how the referees making bad calls and therefor burning them out of paintball. Having quality, highly skilled judges with knowledge of the game and the rules will definitely prove to be a competitive advantage in the days to come. We wish Mike & Rich a successful 2009 and look forward to more information regarding the league.

Just a few minutes ago we received word that the GPL/GPXL is expanding from the Northeast region to Nationwide in order to fill the void of the NPPL. The GPL seems to be trying to form regional leagues with local fields that teams can compete through the season and then offer a grand finale “GPL Cup” for the teams that qualified. Good luck to Brian and Cyndi and the rest of the folks at the GPL.

The PSP spent last week and part of the weekend trying to formulate a plan for 2009. Its hard to keep up, but we keep hearing talk of ditching the X-Ball brand (name, not format) and renaming it control brand rights to the series. We’ve also heard talk of removing the X, increasing the field from 5 players to 6 (or if your from the NPPL land, from 7 to 6), and ditching the NXL to create a new Pro and Semi pro division. With regards to the Pro & Semi Pro divisions, the PSP has tossed around the idea that they would allow “first come, first serve” with a capped team list at 15. Entry fees for the new pro series are said to be no lower than $2,000 and not to exceed $5,000.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:54 AM #1368
pbman657v.2

allright, who did it?
Old 12-08-2008, 02:09 PM #1369
eternalmergy
The Hindu Hammer

has been a member for 10 years
eternalmergy is a Paintball photographer
eternalmergy plays in the PSP
eternalmergy posts videos on PbNation
eternalmergy is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by 327thBulldog View Post
Paintball is steadily going back into the woods. Look around you. The signs are apparent.
wtf?

Central Florida Paintball

>Redline Media<
Old 12-08-2008, 03:30 PM #1370
jzpaintballa69

jzpaintballa69 owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
this will be very intresting....hope all turns out good and some idiot buys the NPPL and PSP stays the same....paintball is ment to have 2 leagues...just because its 2 totally differnt ways of play....
Old 12-08-2008, 04:02 PM #1371
overweightangel275

overweightangel275 works for a Paintball manufacturer
 plays in the NXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 327thBulldog View Post
Paintball is steadily going back into the woods. Look around you. The signs are apparent.
That statement makes no sense, I hope you do know most people who play paintball do play in the woods and don't even like tournament play.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:09 PM #1372
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah

plays in the NXL 2
cryptic.paintball is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
cryptic.paintball is Legendary
cryptic.paintball is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by overweightangel275 View Post
That statement makes no sense, I hope you do know most people who play paintball do play in the woods and don't even like tournament play.
Upwards of 75% of the market play woods/rec ball
Old 12-08-2008, 04:10 PM #1373
plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by overweightangel275 View Post
Oh?
Old 12-08-2008, 04:20 PM #1374
Delmarva Paintball
Collecting Nickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic View Post
Oh?
Oh...Yes!

While NPPL going bye byes is a big deal... It is only a big deal to a very small minority of paintball players. Tournament players make up less than 10% of the total players. Probably much less.

www.TacticalAdventureGames.com
Old 12-08-2008, 04:23 PM #1375
shark6428
Sideline paint sponge

shark6428 is a Paintball photographer
shark6428 posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva Paintball View Post
Oh...Yes!

While NPPL going bye byes is a big deal... It is only a big deal to a very small minority of paintball players. Tournament players make up less than 10% of the total players. Probably much less.
I can see up to 70% being woods ballers, but I'm seriously doubting only 10% being non- woodsballers without sources to back that up.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:24 PM #1376
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah

plays in the NXL 2
cryptic.paintball is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
cryptic.paintball is Legendary
cryptic.paintball is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by shark6428 View Post
I can see up to 70% being woods ballers, but I'm seriously doubting only 10% being non- woodsballers without sources to back that up.
I would guess he is referring to serious tourney ballers.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:29 PM #1377
Delmarva Paintball
Collecting Nickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark6428 View Post
I didn't say non-woodsballers I said Tournament players.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:31 PM #1378
shark6428
Sideline paint sponge

shark6428 is a Paintball photographer
shark6428 posts videos on PbNation
my mistake. That still seems like it's off by a bit. Do those numbers count rentals and/or first time players?

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:53 PM #1379
Luigi Speed 05
PBN made me a gun whore..

Luigi Speed 05 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
Luigi Speed 05 plays in the APPA D4 division
Luigi Speed 05 is a top reviewer
I think we're here on the nation all the time and forget that the majority of paintball players don't even care about this forum, or tournament play in general... if I had to guess a ball park number, I'd say tourney types like ourselves are 5%, maybe 6% tops of the whole paintball universe...

Miami Devious sponsored by: VALKEN, VIRTUE, RUTHLESS PB
Old 12-08-2008, 04:53 PM #1380
plastic

Quote:
Oh...Yes!

You missed my point.

Obviously, most paintball players are recreational participants.

However, making the blanket statement of "most do not even like it", is simply unfounded, with no truthful merit.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:26 PM #1381
Delmarva Paintball
Collecting Nickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic View Post
You missed my point.

Obviously, most paintball players are recreational participants.

However, making the blanket statement of "most do not even care about it at all.", is simply unfounded, with no truthful merit.
There now it is truthfull

Old 12-08-2008, 06:33 PM #1382
plastic

Quote:
There now it is truthfull
... Oh?
Old 12-09-2008, 12:19 AM #1383
LCT-Coty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerraCom View Post
(And to be honest with you, the loss of the nppl and potentially xball, almost amount to crap. The real money is in woodsball and scenario. Paintball isn't going anywhere, it may just be returning to its roots to be re-birthed into a tournament sport again. You have to crack a few eggs to make an omelet.)
It seems more fields are going dominantly to the woods now... and the SPPL is growing every year. Most field owners are tired of putting up with paintball players who want good deals and sponsorships and are always nagging and complaining, most woodsball players don't do that. Also woodsball is more efficient in the terms of fields and bunkers. Take what God gave you and put up some pieces of tin and you're set.

I would like to see speedballers take to the woods. Players used to spraying paint from the word go, players used to running tapes. Sure would be interesting to see how they reacted to a slow paced game with a completely different strategy.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:16 AM #1384
cognomen

Don't mean to segue, but I'm curious as what do you term those who only like to play tournament style games/fields but don't compete in any league and don't like to play woodsball whatsoever? Are they just rec players?
Old 12-09-2008, 04:35 AM #1385
JerraCom
The DM5 was made by Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCT-Coty View Post
It seems more fields are going dominantly to the woods now... and the SPPL is growing every year. Most field owners are tired of putting up with paintball players who want good deals and sponsorships and are always nagging and complaining, most woodsball players don't do that. Also woodsball is more efficient in the terms of fields and bunkers. Take what God gave you and put up some pieces of tin and you're set.

I would like to see speedballers take to the woods. Players used to spraying paint from the word go, players used to running tapes. Sure would be interesting to see how they reacted to a slow paced game with a completely different strategy.
Right on.

I came from woods ball to tourney ball. I am flexible in both aspects of the sport. I had the opportunity one time talking to bob long about the direction of the sport sometime in 2003ish. He mentioned to me (and in some film he reinforced this point) that the development of tourney ball lacks the basic and initial skills you acquire playing woodsball.

A Lot of these kids here whine and moan about ounces shaved off a gun, or how agg their mask is, how fast their loader feeds, or how their headband is some original print pattern. Try playing in the rain, on a muddy field, with a spyder on a coil remote, horizontal pod packs, with non anti fog goggles, soaked to the bone, and still organizing a strike on a fortified hill.

Most of the kids here by their accounts probably couldn't even lift a old school all metal spyder, or see out of something that wasn't made out of neoprene or some space age material. Most would laugh at 100rd guppies, and gravity hoppers. Most would cry about the insane amount of kick a blow-back mech spyder would give. To me, we did all that because we loved the game.

We played with what ever our summer jobs could afford. We kept coming back for the punishment so that we could one day punish back.

The nppl closing isn't the end of the world. It was just an attempt that failed. Paintball isn't going to disappear of the face of the earth. The glitz and glamour days maybe, but the passion and love of the game is and will always be here.

Tourney ball will one day be strong again, it will carry on and be a legit televised sport. Just not now, the timing isn't right.

Play some woodsball and relax, see what you jersey only wearing kids are missing. Dawn some camo, and get in the mud.
Joy Division Fan #588
PSN ID: JerraCom - PM me to add yours.

Last edited by JerraCom : 12-09-2008 at 04:38 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:07 PM #1386
crakbaby

JerraCom, you are a true ambassador of the sport. While the loss is sad and comes as a bit of a blow to the sport, Paintball is too well established to be fearful of it's future (I've been going since '89)- I personally know way too many people with an absolute passion for this sport. It's only change and I'm sure most players will find the future holds some exciting prospects.. new and old ideas will be fused while new leagues and arrangements will be made.
Oh and hey JerraCom, if you haven't recently, you've got to do a pump/stock class only event in the woods.. I ran w/ a PGP2, and it was the most fun I've had in years.