Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyNews Ups

Old 06-08-2012, 04:04 AM #127
xeonpb

xeonpb works for a Paintball manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbed989 View Post
Interesting but it looked like it was popcorning a bit there.
Balls are in motion above the rotor and in a Halo without the lid, it is difficult to avoid some balls rolling out. Popcorning for me is when the ball bounces up from the rotor and it is minimal with the Smartguide installed.

If you look at the rotor picture you can see that it is split into two independent pieces and top rotor sort balls and place them at the right height for the outlet. In addition, the balls are also kept down by the outer ring.

If it works with soft eraser reball and brittle paint with the same settings it says little about the design. For me it shows that the angles and surfaces creates very little pressure on the ball and the sharp edges on which reball would be stuck in is minimized.
xeonpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-08-2012, 08:43 AM #128
xeonpb

xeonpb works for a Paintball manufacturer
Xeon Paintball demonstrates how easily you clean the Halo series loader. Both the loader and drive cone. No tools required with Smartguide TL installed in your loader. Compared with many other new loaders is this solution often easier to clean.

I must warn you. This is a pretty boring video but it shows that it is simple and quick to clean the Halo series loader with Smartguide because you do not have to disassemble the entire loader.

xeonpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:30 AM #129
Jaccen

That's probably the quickest tool-less Halo clean I've seen. Very nice.
Jaccen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:06 PM #130
bnkr king

bnkr king owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
bnkr king owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
0:24-03:44, 3 mins 20 secs to clean a Halo, I bet most people would be just getting the last screw out to separate the shells in that time. Looks great
bnkr king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:59 PM #131
Jaccen

......not sure how reviews work here.

I didn't see "xeonpb" under the manufacturers so I thought I'd just post my review of it here. Apologies to the mods if that's not kosher. Feel free to move my posts to wherever is appropriate on the chance I have misplaced this.

I recently acquired a Smartguide from xeonpb and used it at Canadian Carnage. I thought I'd share my thoughts on it.

Background Information:

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3793815

I have just about the worst loader luck. It doesn't matter what loader it is, it will always jam on me.

I had recently started a couple threads asking about hoppers.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3812357

I had wanted a hopper that met the following criteria:

-auto unjam
-reliable
-quick
-cheap
-ideally, a drop-in replacement part for one of my Magna's

I could have bought a used Prophecy v1 or v2, but it didn't have the auto unjam. It has the magnetic clutch similar to the Magna....which I already had. Thus, I didn't see much point in getting one for my personal needs. I already had a V35 and, while it was a great loader, I had to do the initial pot setup to read dark paint, its unjam sequence never seemed to work, and whenever it jammed I always had to rip crank and then cycle the marker. None of those on its own was a big deal, but add them all together and I felt I could maybe do better. My Magna's have always worked well, but I even managed to jam them (ie. 2 balls stuck together in one "slot" under the Freeway). Both of them worked well enough, but I wanted to see what else was out there. I thought my only options were Virtue or Cheetah boards. Or just shell out the big bucks for a Z2.

xeonpb contacted me after I made that board replacement thread. He said I was probably doing way too much research when there already was a product that did exactly what I wanted. I was, initially, a little bit wary. However, he sent me a vid link and I went snooping. TheePsycho had said that he used one at Living Legends 5. He had a Cheetah board, he turned off all its features, and just let the Smartguide do its thing. It worked great for him. Digging further, I found out that xeonpb was the man who invented the Rotor design. That, combined with TheePsycho's review, made me say, "Eh, why not?"

Ordering Process:

I ordered my piece from xeonpb's website:

xeonp b

The prices listed include European VAT so North American prices will be adjusted for those of us on this continent. He would prefer, however, that you first ask for it at your local shop. He'd like to get North American awareness of his product higher so if you are interested, ask about it at your local paintball shop or favourite website. Last I heard, paintballgear.ca might start to carry it. Everything was easy and xeonpb was extremely helpful.

The only SNAFU that occured was outside of xeonpb's control. There was a break-in at xeonpb's driveshaft manufacturer so my order was a bit delayed. He rushed getting a new driveshaft made and shipped it out as soon as he could. I, literally, got the package a couple days before Canadian Carnage. Mad props to him for coming through.

Hardware Overview:

TheePsycho's revision, from what I understand, would be what I call Version 1. The top and bottom of the driveshaft were held together with a screw. If you look at xeonpb's assembly video on his Youtube channel, you can see what this version looks like. My revision would what I call Version 2. I can be seen in this video. The more mind-blowing video would be this one. Tool-less cleaning for a Halo? Awesome. xeonpb calls this revision the "Smarguide TL" or "Smartguide Tool-less" edition.

I put mine together at about midnight, Friday night, before the big game Saturday. I was pretty much done by the end of Saturday because of this. As you can see from the pics, I basically put together the worst-case scenario to test the Smartguide.

-no tuning as I used the almost stock Magna settings (ie. setting 3 for motor speed and setting 3 for sound adjustment; however, I did turn off spring tension monitoring at xeonpb's suggestion as with Smartguide there is no longer a pre-tensioned spring)
-untested, brand new warrior shell
-hairline raceway cracked Magna
-motor was said to have a bunch of cases through it
-I solder together an electrical lead so that the battery connector could make it to the front
-this was all from a well-used Magna that I bought for parts/as a back up

It, basically, is probably equivalent to that ol' Halo you have kicking around. You can't bring yourself to get rid of it, but you keep it "just in case."

I noticed that the Smartguide also had fewer moving parts. It also got rid of rings snaps. I hate ring snaps. They work, but they're always a pain to deal with. All the Smartguide needed was the threaded top. It was simple enough that I manged to figure out how to put it together without an assembly video. The included instructions and the old assembly video were enough information that I figured out how it went together. Or so I thought.

The only way to find out was trial by fire. So I made it my main loader for the day at Canadian Carnage.

.....continued below..........

Last edited by Jaccen : 07-02-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:00 PM #132
Jaccen

In Game Testing:

I used the Magna in a Halo shell on my 04 Viking (full specs can be listed on the Viking if requested). I used semi for Canadian Carnage simply because I'm not made out of money. I bought a bag for Friday's pump night and a case for Saturday's game. My Viking uses an 07 MacDev Militia board. It has these options in regards to eyes:

Flickering White - Eyed Mode
Setting 1 = delayed (if there is no ball in breach when the trigger is pulled, the software will wait 1/2 sec and fire)
Setting 2 = forced (trigger can be held to force a shot)
Setting 3 = test mode with full dwell
Setting 4 = test mode with adjusted dwell (test mode dwell setting)

Setting 2 is the default and it's the one I routinely use. Why? It lets me know when there's a loader jam.

Loader Jam Chain of Events
-Viking fires (clear Dye sticky grips show green LED)
-Viking stops firing (clear Dye sticky grips show red LED)

Traditionally, I would do the following:

V35
-crank Rip drive backwards
-power cycle the unit
-force shot
-check Dye sticky grips LED colour

Magna
-crank the Rip drive backwards
-push the power button once to spin the cone and load a round
-force shot
-check Dye sticky grips LED colour

I was actually hoping the Smartguide would jam.

Hear me out.

Every loader will eventually jam. I don't care how much you pay for it and what Greek god forged it--it will jam. At least, that's been the case in my experience.

In the horror that was Berlin at Canadian Carnage, I got my wish. Under heavy fire, my Viking was firing away at a seemingly unending hoarde of Red players. In the middle of a long string of finger taps, my Viking stopped shooting. I checked the Dye sticky grips and they were red. So, I know I have a loader jam. Rather than reach for the Rip drive, I thought I'd try the default method xeonpb recommends. I held the trigger for a second and forced a dry shot. I then checked the Dye grips again and they were green. I tapped the trigger again and it fired.

The Smartguide had automatically cleared the jam, loaded another round, and I was good to go. I went from fumbling around for a minute trying to get my setup play-worthy again like with my V35 to being ready to mow faces in seconds with the Smartguide.

I would now consider setting my Viking to fire automatically upon a trigger pull. The Smartguide really does what it's supposed to. It's been the best unjam sequence I've ever had happen. I was highly impressed.

Pictures:

https://picasaweb.google.com/jaccen/Smartguide

Conclusion:

So what do I think of the Smartguide? I firmly believe it is the best functional upgrade you can apply to any Halo based loader. That includes the following:

-V35
-Magna
-Reloader B/B2
-Too
-any other Halo that uses the "standard" spring-tensioned cone and raceway

It provides these benefits:
-exceptional automatic unjam
-lower power consumption
-one of the best reball loaders on the market
-can be set for brittle tourney paint, rec paint, or reballs by simply flipping the discs or just changing loader speed (I would recommend fast bottom, slow top, and then just mess with your loader speeds. 3 worked great for paint. I'd probably up it for reballs)
-easy, tool-less cleaning
-no need for additional complicated programming....it just works
-a bang-for-buck not commonly found in the paintball world
-excellent customer service
-xeonpb is always striving to improve his product (ie. rev 1, rev 2, etc.)
-it gives new life to an old backup loader
-functionally, it may be one of the best loaders on the market

Improvements? Not really anything I can think of within xeonpb's control. The only thing I wish is that there was an option so that it would come bundled with a loader from the factory. An Invert Too or Reloader B2 with a Smartguide TL instead of a cone would be the best bang-for-buck loader on the market. I hope xeonpb can work out some sort of deal with Empire. Or, a really cool idea that will likely never happen, is if he could sell a kit that you assemble yourself. If it was a kit that addressed some of the traditional Halo short-comings it would be the best loader on the market. Period. For everyone else, if you've got an old Halo kicking around this is probably the best thing you can do for it.

I was impressed enough with its performance that it's now become my main loader and I don't think I'll bother with any of the "super loaders." I'm not on a pro team, but I still like having good equipment. However, I don't have an unlimited budget. I doubt you do either. Smartguide gives me the option to functionally upgrade my old Halo to keep up with the loaders of today while not breaking the bank.

I'm going to update this review throughout the summer with further tests (ie. high speed firing, reball, tourney paint, test with an Etha, etc.).

Thanks again to xeonpb for getting me the Smartguide so I could test it at Canadian Carnage.

Cheers.

Last edited by Jaccen : 07-02-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:57 PM #133
peachesarenottasty

peachesarenottasty is playing at Living Legends III
peachesarenottasty supports Team VICIOUS
peachesarenottasty supports Pev's Paintball
peachesarenottasty has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Grammar is a bit off but what can you expect from someone who learned english second. I would like to see this in real life this might be something kinda cool but then again it might just be one of those weird as seeen on tv things.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:39 PM #134
Jaccen

XeonPB was nice enough to send me his latest revision of the Smartguide TL.

New top driveshaft piece:

He had this to say about his testing of rev. 3:

Quote:
By adding a soft arm on the drive shaft to clear balls between the shell and the top rotor and also push balls / reballs around adds a lot of benefits.
This was a ridiculously easy upgrade. No disassembly of the loader shell. I held the Ripdrive wheel, reached my hand in through the speedfeed, unscrewed the ver. 2 top drive shaft, and pulled it out. Grabbing the ver. 3 top drive shaft, I reached in and screwed it in. Done.

I used the same settings I had before only this time I was playing rec ball with my Pneumag. I used 1/2 a bag of over 1 year old paint I had laying around just to really stress it. Not a problem. After that, I went through 1/2 a case of Empire RPS Heat. No problems again.

I got quite a few questions on it--some of which were a bit of a mouthful to answer.

"What loader is that?"

"Well, it's a Warrior Halo shell with Magna internals running a Smartguide ver. 3 rotor."

"......sorry?"

So, yeah, I'm still really happy with it.

A few things going forward:

-I will be running some speed tests with it (ie. full auto with my Viking)
-I will be giving my Smartguide to my friend so he can run it on his Etha
-I recently bought a Prophecy ver. 1 so I have a benchmark to compare the Smartguide to
-I'll hit up one of the local fields for some reball action

Cheers.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:41 AM #135
ProtoSkillz

This works PREFECTLY with reballs! Even with the cheaper imitation designer imposter ones that use water instead of oil!!!
ProtoSkillz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:47 AM #136
benzy2
angry bird

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
I was about to order three, until I saw the price on their website. For that money I can get a gently used prophecy v2 (or in my case 3 prophecy v2's). I'm certainly interested but only if price is cut in half or so. If you sold your old halo and added the money you'd spend on this you are nearly at the price of a used Z2. Ouch.
benzy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:44 AM #137
ProtoSkillz

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy2 View Post
I was about to order three, until I saw the price on their website. For that money I can get a gently used prophecy v2 (or in my case 3 prophecy v2's). I'm certainly interested but only if price is cut in half or so. If you sold your old halo and added the money you'd spend on this you are nearly at the price of a used Z2. Ouch.
Oh they're still pricey huh? I bought this when it first came out and before I had my Rotors and Spire. I got it with the intention of using it but never did. I only started using it this year when i began indoor drills after my rotor failed me epically.

I should also point out my Halo has the Empire sound activated board and maybe that's also why it works so well.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:47 AM #138
benzy2
angry bird

Annual Supporting Member
I don't doubt it works well, I simply can't justify $50 on a drive cone for a $25 loader. Lots of used prophecies in great shape selling for at or under $50 makes this a hard buy for me. I really did go to their website with intentions to buy 3-4 for my halos/magna but not at that cost.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:49 AM #139
TheePsycho
Sadist

TheePsycho is a Supporting Member
TheePsycho is playing at Living Legends VII
I have one in my halo and love it, it's the only hopper I use now that I sold off my two prophecies. I'll admit though they are a little bit pricey though but they do work great.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:09 AM #140
ProtoSkillz

Quote:
I don't doubt it works well, I simply can't justify $50 on a drive cone for a $25 loader. Lots of used prophecies in great shape selling for at or under $50 makes this a hard buy for me. I really did go to their website with intentions to buy 3-4 for my halos/magna but not at that cost.
You're 100% right. In my case im getting use out of something i paid for a while ago. I rather not use my Spire for the reballs so im trying to get my money's worth.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:30 PM #141
bienmendoza

bienmendoza owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
bienmendoza has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
bienmendoza has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I have a feeling that P.E. will unveil a hopper now instead of a mask because of this.. I don't know why though..

VSB
Ebay feed back: Search bienmendoza on Ebay.

bienmendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:23 AM #142
Jaccen

My current list of hoppers:

-v3 Rotor
-v1 Prophecy
-Magna with anti-jam freeway
-Smartguide in Hybrid Halo shell

Of all of them, the Smartguide has the best internal tech.......bar none. For reballs, it's simply unmatched. For small china-ball when playing rec-ball, it just works. It simply keeps on trucking when the others role over and die. It also works great with higher end tourney paint as you can set the tension, but the other 3 also work very well with said paint.

A ranking from my playing with all of them (1rst to last):

Reball:
-Smartguide (it just works)
-Rotor (sometimes jam, but a quick pull and you're off)
-Prophecy / Magna (tie--usually work good until one gets stuck and the clutch just keeps on slipping until you notice and backspin it. For me, on dirty reballs, it happens the most with these two to the point I no longer use them for reball)

China-ball rec ball:
-Smartguide (again, it just works)
-Magna / Prophecy (it's happened to both once or twice where a couple balls get pinched by the freeway. Sometimes a backspin works--sometimes not)
-Rotor (on crappy paint, the Rotor is not your friend. It seems to be designed for tournament play, which it excels at, but on cruddy paint it flies along, jams, you pull, and you're off to the races again. It works fine, but it just seems like I'm yanking the unjam once or twice a match.)

The only thing the Smartguide has going against it are the legacy parts of the Halo:
-weight
-a pain to disassemble

The Smartguide greatly helps on the disassemble now with the tool-less pin, but it can't do anything about the first 2. As a reball loader or recball loader, it's perfect and well worth the cash. With an updated body ala Rotor/Spire, it would be an unmatched loader. As of now, it's "just" an excellent loader
Old 02-09-2013, 09:06 PM #143
benzy2
angry bird

Annual Supporting Member
Interesting. Both my magna and v2 prophecy are absolutely flawless on brand name reballs unlubed. Maybe I just got lucky with two hoppers but they both will feed consistently into the mid 20's bps wise and peak closer to 30 on reball.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:52 PM #144
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

aresfiend plays in the APPA D4 division
aresfiend has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend supports Empire
Quote:
Interesting. Both my magna and v2 prophecy are absolutely flawless on brand name reballs unlubed. Maybe I just got lucky with two hoppers but they both will feed consistently into the mid 20's bps wise and peak closer to 30 on reball.
I had a Halo B that worked fine with reballs, then I grabbed my friend's B thinking it would work the same and it was jam city and used another Halo B that was 50/50 on jams.

EΔRL
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:27 AM #145
YeloSno
ALT Bazaar - Coming Soon!

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno supports Team VICIOUS
YeloSno is for the Gunfight
YeloSno is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
YeloSno is Legendary
YeloSno supports Empire
This makes me want to buy an Invert Too just so I can install this and a virtue board.

Thinking of Buying Something, But Don't Know What?
Have A Look Inside for Some Help.

Sale so good you'll get a ****in' coma trying to find your wallet.

ALT Bazaar
A new top secret project that isn't so secret. Brought to you by the creator of the Ultimate Purchasing Hierarchy and TBQF Technologies.

"Originally posted by R3L: Nostalgia's a hell of a drug."
"Originally posted by Somnambulistz: i'm not wearing any underwear! :D"
YeloSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:33 PM #146
the korean1
Team Carnage

Is this available? I have email the website. Didnt know if anyone had one here in the states. Or place selling one
Old 08-20-2013, 08:11 PM #147
beanmaster50
SUPERIOR PAINTBALL

beanmaster50 supports Team VICIOUS
beanmaster50 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by one2follow View Post
Only problem, 99% of people use a Rotor or Z2
Wrong. 99% use a gravity hopper. lol. Just Messing of coarse.
The real Dirty Dan fan club #1
superiorpaintball.net
beanmaster50 is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyNews Ups

Paintball News Rules
  1. No Upping threads. If you have something to say, please do, but don't post in the thread just to take it to the top of the forum.
  2. Do not post "1st post", "1st", "First post" or anything similar (or with any other number) at any point in a thread, even if you post a comment too. It is really annoying and it will result in a ban.
  3. If you don't like something, say why instead of just calling it ugly, lame, gay or any other name. If it is old, simply post a link or report the post with a link to the older News thread.
  4. Please don't post links for places to buy items. That encourages stores, sponsored players and other people to do it and spam the site.
If you have questions, please post them in the Talk to Mods/Admins forum.