PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-08-2014, 09:31 PM #1
SearTripper
Digging on the Santose

has been a member for 10 years
Coming back to paintball after a long break

I haven't played PB in about 7 years. I don't have any gear except for a 20 year old Spyder. My son, who is 10, has been really interested in playing lately and I am thinking of getting back into it. I have a couple questions.

Should I get him a mech or an electro? Do mechs stand a chance these days or is everyone using electros except the renters?

Can someone recomend me a couple markers that are rugged, easy to maintain and not too expensive, and not woodsball only?

Is HPA prevalent now, or could I get by with CO2?

What is a good, cool (as in not hot, I live in the South) mask I could get him?
SearTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2014, 05:28 AM #2
Chillanator

Specify a budget, that would help the most in recommending gear to you. If I hadn't played in awhile and was unsure whether I would take paintball seriously I would not make a large investment into gear.
Honestly, I would just look up on Craigslist and pick up a cheap 98 custom package for you and your son for dirt cheap. I would also purchase two brand new masks that are high quality and high end. I recommend the Dye I4 for your son since it fits people with small faces better and if you have a larger or normal size face then the V-Force Grill or Empire E-Flex would work well.
Chillanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:16 AM #3
SearTripper
Digging on the Santose

I don't have a budget in mind yet. I'd hate to set a budget and have to settle for a marker or gear that would discourage me from playing...such as a used tippman 98.

I just wanted to see what was out there, and then see if i want to budget money for it. But thanks for the mask recommendations, just what I needed!

Last edited by SearTripper : 07-09-2014 at 06:38 AM.
SearTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:02 AM #4
TheOdessa

It's funny you post this because I recently just got back in myself. I find on the field most people have electronic guns. Back when I was in the game, most seasoned people had Angels, Autocockers, Shockers, or Automags. Now it's rentals and little kids with the mech guns. Most people out there now have electro guns.

I ended up getting a GOG eXTCy for $200. At that price, you can't beat it plus it's full electro with 15 modes from ANS Gear. Other markers in the league are Proto Rail and Azodin Blitz Evo. For the price and features, to me, the eXTCy won 10 fold. Do some homework and see for yourself. I'm recommending electros in the $250 and under category.

Of course if you go this route, HPA is going to be needed. I didn't see much CO2 on the field except for the rental people. HPA tanks are so affordable now it just makes sense to get it.

As for a mask, I went with the cheapest one I could find with great reviews and had a thermal lense. Valken Annex MI-7 was had for $34 shipped. This mask is great. Doesn't fog and vents great. I live in Florida and play in the summer so I'm used to it.

I picked up a used Valken VMAX electro loader for $40 used.
TheOdessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:54 PM #5
Crice8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearTripper View Post
I haven't played PB in about 7 years. I don't have any gear except for a 20 year old Spyder. My son, who is 10, has been really interested in playing lately and I am thinking of getting back into it. I have a couple questions.

Should I get him a mech or an electro? Do mechs stand a chance these days or is everyone using electros except the renters?

Can someone recomend me a couple markers that are rugged, easy to maintain and not too expensive, and not woodsball only?

Is HPA prevalent now, or could I get by with CO2?

What is a good, cool (as in not hot, I live in the South) mask I could get him?
I would suggest a dangerous power g5. used you can find one for $200. And I wouldn't say that a mech can't hang now, but electros are very affordably priced now so you might as well go for it.

I would say HPA is the standard now. Several of the bigger fields around here don't even fill co2 anymore. The smaller ones still do but everyone else is only HPA now.

I say Grillz for a mask! I live in Texas and mine works great. It has never fogged and is very breathable. Plus it will cover more of the face than i4's and be a fraction of the cost.
Crice8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:23 PM #6
blwngazkit

HPA is easier all around. Plus with a compressor, the fields costs are minimal (once paid off)
blwngazkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:04 AM #7
7paintball
Service at its best.

7paintball owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
7paintball supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by blwngazkit View Post
HPA is easier all around. Plus with a compressor, the fields costs are minimal (once paid off)
correct
Lockport, IL 60441
(815) 588-1777

We always offer discounts to the Military, Police and Fire Departments.
7paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:45 PM #8
bwright824

Axe!
bwright824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:58 AM #9
Aesyrin

Aesyrin owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Aesyrin has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
When you do decide on a marker, you should definitely get it used if you don't do that already, as it'll open up your options w/ budget and you can get higher end guns.

Also, I have Sly Profits but live in Delaware. However I've read some people say it's a pretty good mask for warmer climates.
Aesyrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:58 AM #10
Vash6.3

Funny, I'm in the same situation. I haven't played in 16 years and my 10 year old son is eager to play. I played when Autocockers and Auto/Minimags were the top markers. Stopped right around the release of the Angel and Shocker.

My Minimag is long gone, but when my father heard my son was interested he showed up with all the gear left over from him and my brothers. The markers hadn't been touched in 12 years or so. One of the tanks was full, put it on my fathers Autococker, and filled the hopper with 12 year old paint. My son lit up the basketball backboard. Now he's even more excited about it.

Anyhow, good luck.
Vash6.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:30 PM #11
BloodinatorX

BloodinatorX has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
BloodinatorX has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I stopped playing or nearly around 13 years and just jumped back in. The main differences that I've found are that Electros are everywhere, cockers, as we knew them are dead and HPA is generally free or $5 all day and CO2 is $5-10 a fill. Also, you can get a cheap HPA tank for $30-$60. If you want reliable, easy to work on, amazing warranty, cheap and high performing, check out the Invert Mini and Empire Axe. Both are very easy to maintain and clean, both have a hassle free warranty(I hear they generally send you a free part if yours breaks) and they perform quite nice! You can get a used Mini for $150-$200 and and axe(basically a non-mini, mini) for $200-$400(should probably be in great condition and include some extras for the higher price). The Empire Prophecy Z2 is a great deal on a high speed loader at ANSgear right now $99(you will need it for these markers, the old revvy just didn't cut it). By the way, everything(higher end) except GOG(smart parts) is Cocker threaded. For a mask, E-Flex is awesome, I4 is good if you have a small face.

Green Machine Pic
BloodinatorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:14 AM #12
Astar
TimClan E-Cookie Monster

I am looking to get started playing again. It has been almost 8 years for me. I am trying to remember how to take my gen3 timmy and my dm4 apart to clean/fix. I am having trouble with my Alias leaking air down the barrel, my guess is old o-rings but I don't remember all my little tuning tricks. lol the struggle is real
Old 09-13-2014, 06:47 PM #13
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
2nwyka supports Ninja Paintball
I love my 'Cockers...I have and regularly play with four AutoCockers of various brands. You can still play pretty competitively with a 'Cocker, so don't let that get you down.
Listen to the other people, they know what they're talking about as far as guns. Ninja HPA tanks are a must-have. They're light, common, and come in any color you can think of. As for loaders, everyone liked the Rotor until something better came along. I roll with a Reloader B and a Revvy X, depending on the marker I'm playing with.

I'd look into a mid-range electronic. Steer clear of the Proto markers, I've had bad luck with them, but I have had pretty good luck with Dangerous Power, Planet Eclipse, MacDev, and Empire.

Do what you feel, the game hasn't really changed a whole lot apart from rates of fire and prices.
Noah

AutoCocker Builder
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote