Community Focus

Old 04-11-2013, 11:18 AM #1
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 supports Ninja Paintball
ElJefe13 supports Empire
Crossover vs. Dragon

I'm looking into getting my first electro. The two guns I'm thinking about are the Tippmann Crossover and the Bob Long 2.5 Intimidator Dragon. They're about the same price wise, so I'm having a tough time choosing between them.
Crossover pros:
Ability to switch to mech if I want to
I can buy new
Lighter, more compact
Great ergonomics
I believe more efficient? If I'm wrong about that please correct me.
Dragon Pros:
Oh my gosh the looks! Gives me a heart attack every time I look at one.
Durability.

Are their boards similar or is one better than the other? Eyes (does the dragon even have those?) Maintenance? Any other reason to choose one over the other?

Oh btw any other electros in the $250-400 range I'd look at (not the axe or mini)
ElJefe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2013, 11:44 AM #2
Captain Flux

Captain Flux owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
Captain Flux supports DLX Technology
You can look at MacDev Drones, new they are $430 and from everything I read about them, they are a good mid level marker. You just gotta look around to see what you like and then read about them before purchasing your first electro. Bob Longs take a little while to learn how to set it up and are harder to maintain. Although the Crossover looks cool, any marker with gas-though-frame are alot harder to maintain then markers with a macro line. I have an Etek that I am pretty happy with until I have enough for a Vanguard Demon. Just search around the forums and look at what guns catch your eyes and then do your research about them
Captain Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:39 PM #3
BurningPlaydoh

If you want a stacked-tube poppet get a Bob Long Protege or Vice. They perform almost the same as the G6R and parts are better available. An Ego 7 or 8 would be a good choice too if Eclipse is your preference.

If you want a single-tube marker there are TONS of good choices. The Crossover performs "meh" compared to basically all the used markers in that price range. Theres the DM/PM8, Marq 6/7/Rapper/Mummy, MacDev Droid, the list goes on. The Axe and Drone are good choices used or new as well.
BurningPlaydoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:00 PM #4
BatmanLiera

BatmanLiera supports DLX Technology
BatmanLiera supports Shocker RSX
BatmanLiera supports Ninja Paintball
From those two i choose crossover. But i would say go axe
BatmanLiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:27 PM #5
SKI008

has been a member for 10 years
 plays in the NXL
From those two a Dragon for sure (performance-wise) but I would also say you should probably look towards a newer gun for your first electro as those older Bob Long guns shoot amazingly but can be annoying for a newbie to work on.

I would stay away from an older Intimidator until you have some idea about what you're doing. It will blow the Crossover out of the water performance-wise but might be harder to take care of. A Protoge or a Vice would be a much better option for a stacked tube poppit. Or an Ego if you don't mind it sounding like a cannon and kicking like a mule.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:31 PM #6
blueshifty
John - conscious paradox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJefe13 View Post
Oh btw any other electros in the $250-400 range I'd look at (not the axe or mini)
Not sure why you're not willing to consider the axe, but playdoh has it right. If you're actually going to be playing with it then try a vice if you want a stacked tube or a drone if you'd prefer single tube. Another gun that tlmiller recommends is a valken proton.

blueshifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 02:53 PM #7
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshifty View Post

Not sure why you're not willing to consider the axe, but playdoh has it right. If you're actually going to be playing with it then try a vice if you want a stacked tube or a drone if you'd prefer single tube. Another gun that tlmiller recommends is a valken proton.
Personal preference. How bad is the maintenance, really? I'm pretty good with tools and mechanical stuff.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:36 PM #8
_R_E_D_

I played with a crossover last weekend... All I could think was "I'm holding a Gryphon... I'm holding a Gryphon..." But the whole switch to mechanical is a brilliant thing.

You will have to maintain every single marker you will ever own, that shouldn't even be a discussion.

Good luck with your choice dude.
_R_E_D_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:29 PM #9
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by _R_E_D_ View Post
I played with a crossover last weekend... All I could think was "I'm holding a Gryphon... I'm holding a Gryphon..." But the whole switch to mechanical is a brilliant thing.

You will have to maintain every single marker you will ever own, that shouldn't even be a discussion.

Good luck with your choice dude.
Thanks man, I've had some pretty terrible markers that required their fair share of maintenance, so I feel like it shouldn't be too hard.

Besides, I love the ergos on a Gryphon. It's my current marker.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:47 PM #10
Paper_Cut
Keyboard Warrior

Are you talking about the T.E.S. Dragon or a Dragon intimidator? The Timmy is better than the crossover, the T.E.S. is a bad knockoff made for cheap in Taiwan.
Paper_Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:48 PM #11
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_Cut View Post
Are you talking about the T.E.S. Dragon or a Dragon intimidator? The Timmy is better than the crossover, the T.E.S. is a bad knockoff made for cheap in Taiwan.
Definitely the Timmy.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:50 PM #12
blueshifty
John - conscious paradox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJefe13 View Post
Personal preference. How bad is the maintenance, really? I'm pretty good with tools and mechanical stuff.
Maintenance on what? Gen 3 is the earliest Timmy I'd own, but most of them are pretty robust. I even had good luck with a gen4 Timmy and people seem to say those are finicky. Drones have very few orings and are quite reliable as well.

blueshifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:51 PM #13
twiitch

to put it in car terms, look at the dragon intimidator like a 1990's corvette, and the crossover like a modern mazda 3
Old 04-12-2013, 02:42 AM #14
BatmanLiera

BatmanLiera supports DLX Technology
BatmanLiera supports Shocker RSX
BatmanLiera supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiitch View Post
to put it in car terms, look at the dragon intimidator like a 1990's corvette, and the crossover like a modern mazda 3
BatmanLiera is offline   Reply With Quote