Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-30-2013, 08:44 PM #1
proLegend

Question Tippmann 98 Magfed?

Hey, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to order the upgrade for my tippman 98.. I dont have to brand new tippmann 98 and I thought it might be cool to switch to magfed and get a new design for my markers base... I dont really mind spending the 100$ for the upgrade, Ive seen a lot of good reviews and bad reviews.. Im also guessing that tacamo is upgrading the magfed kits for 98/salvo/etc. since they are all being released this 9/27/13. What do you guys think? Also I am mostly a recball and woodsball players... I dont mind being limited to 20rounds per clip seeing as I only need < 3 to take someone out...
proLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-30-2013, 08:49 PM #2
smalltownkaos

smalltownkaos supports Ninja Paintball
putting a $100 up on a 98 sounds ridiculous to me, but if you think you'd like it, do it
smalltownkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:02 PM #3
proLegend

why, what seems wrong with the 98? I dont see just ditching the marker to get a a-5 or phenom just a bit more expensive..
Old 05-30-2013, 09:16 PM #4
smalltownkaos

smalltownkaos supports Ninja Paintball
I don't see throwing it away for one of those either. Keep it as is and use that $100 for a nicer used marker. The 98 can serve as a reliable backup
smalltownkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:14 PM #5
cpt_crunch

cpt_crunch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Your money, your gun. I'm looking at spyder's new magfed line just because they're so cheap
Lover of All Things Paintball
cpt_crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:39 PM #6
7paintball
Service at its best.

7paintball owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
7paintball supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_crunch View Post
Your money, your gun. I'm looking at spyder's new magfed line just because they're so cheap
Yeah and they are really nice. I have seen many mag fed 98s and they are all very nice. Some people just don't see the point in taking something that's $100 and upgrading it.
Lockport, IL 60441
(815) 588-1777

We always offer discounts to the Military, Police and Fire Departments.
7paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:08 PM #7
millerkiller

has been a member for 10 years
millerkiller owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
millerkiller supports Team VICIOUS
I don't see adding it to the marker. But it's your money so do what you woudl like
millerkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:31 PM #8
proLegend

Well Im just going to sell my 98, and a tac-5 and just buy a A5 from a friend, they are more accuarate and I wouldnt have to wait 4 months for a magfed upgrade, thanks for the feedback though!
Old 06-03-2013, 08:21 PM #9
YeloSno
Gen on Facebook

YeloSno is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
So a mag fed kit on any milsim gun is ****ing awesome.

Unfortunately, the only kit available that is in production is the Tacamo kit, which is crap.

You're better off saving up a bit (like $300-$350) and buying a Scarab Arms TGR-2 (or was it TRG-2?). Those are built very well, better than almost all their competitors, and is magazine fed stock with some very well designed magazines and a tank stock to boot for extra balance and realism.

A5 isn't any more accurate than a tippmann 98. Accuracy is dependent on the paint you shoot, the barrel you use, and the bore of the barrel in respect to the paintballs being used and bore length of the barrel.
Old 06-03-2013, 11:46 PM #10
cpt_crunch

cpt_crunch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by proLegend View Post
Well Im just going to sell my 98, and a tac-5 and just buy a A5 from a friend, they are more accuarate and I wouldnt have to wait 4 months for a magfed upgrade, thanks for the feedback though!
The marker has nothing to do with accuracy, its all about barrel quality, paint quality, and bore match. Also just in case you get the offer, a longer barrel is not a "sniper barrel". I wouldn't go past 14-16" on a barrel.

Anyway an A5 is a step up from the 98 only barely. It has an adjustable foregrip which is nice but the biggest upgrade is the cyclone and that goes away when you make it magfed. barrels are easier to find which is nice.
Lover of All Things Paintball
cpt_crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:53 AM #11
paintballoliver

paintballoliver plays in the PSP
paintballoliver is playing at Living Legends VI
paintballoliver has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt_crunch View Post
The marker has nothing to do with accuracy, its all about barrel quality, paint quality, and bore match. Also just in case you get the offer, a longer barrel is not a "sniper barrel". I wouldn't go past 14-16" on a barrel.

Anyway an A5 is a step up from the 98 only barely. It has an adjustable foregrip which is nice but the biggest upgrade is the cyclone and that goes away when you make it magfed. barrels are easier to find which is nice.
I was about to say the same thing in regards to accuracy. And besides the internals of the 98 and the A-5 are identical in operation.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:15 PM #12
proLegend

The a5 does have more upgrades, I was also looking for a stock cover for a tank on the back for the a5 but couldnt find one... Also the magfed kit for a 98 comes out sept 27, thats pretty far away... I didnt want to just buy a straight up milsim gun thats 300$ because I thought I had way more options with a a5 just in case I needed to go hopper feed or something... Also my 98 is horribly inaccurate even though I clean my barrel and checked the internals? what advice do you have on maintaining a gun?
Old 07-01-2013, 10:59 PM #13
Venom_22

I have one and I love it. $100 is a cheap way to try magfed. I got one of the first mkv's and they did have some qc problems, but now I think all the bugs are worked out.
Venom_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:18 PM #14
Danny96211

Danny96211 posts videos on PbNation
Danny96211 supports Empire
i would stay away from putting a magfed kit on a tippy 98. Not because the gun only costs about 130$ to start with, but because it is a very inconsistent gun. Even when running hpa, you will see the velocity spike up and down vastly over a chrono. When playing magfed, you want to make every shot count, because you are limited on paintballs (unless you buy 10 mags). Inconsistent marker + magfed = bad combination.

I've owned a 98 and an a5 so i have first hand experience with this. But if you have your heart set on it, go for it!
Danny96211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:51 AM #15
big-boy
It's only smells

big-boy supports our troops
big-boy plays in the APPA D4 division
big-boy is Legendary
big-boy supports Ninja Paintball
I have no interest in spending anymore money on my 98 since I ebolted it but after reading this, makes me curious about a ebolted mag fed 98...
Old 07-06-2013, 08:08 AM #16
Fieldpeice
That Paintball Complexion

Fieldpeice has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fieldpeice has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I have a mkv with box mag no problems put an etrigger on it works well.
Fieldpeice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:54 PM #17
SAS_Stiggs

I have the MKV kit and I FREAKIN LOVE IT. It's reliable, sexy, and just plain bad ***. You walk on the field with a mag fed and you automatically turn heads. It obviously isn't as nice as a milsig or anything but it gets the job done and it gets the job done cheaply. Haha go for it.
SAS_Stiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:33 PM #18
SharptheJack
Hit more when out.

SharptheJack has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
*Whispers* Psssst. Take a look at the dates. Just back out slowly....
SharptheJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:57 AM #19
miramire
Terrible Turk

miramire is a Supporting Member
The previous message (before the thread was brought back from the dead) was written before either of you were even members

The gun is reliable and I know many fields still use it as rentals but the 98 stands for the year it came out. As in 1998. Of course its been changed and come a long way since then and its a great newbie marker but come on, we've celebrated its 15 year anniversary already!

Plus IMHO the look, although resembling the British Sten with that mag sticking up sideways, is definitely not something that attracts people in any feeling other than "WTF?". I appreciate how Tippmann has a few lines of markers that can be modified heavily to change their look but I would rather save up for an actual magfed marker that obviously was designed as a magfed marker then buy the conversion kit. But to each his own...
Old 03-11-2014, 12:14 PM #20
Robotech

Robotech is attending Decay of Nations VII
I shoot a Dye DAM so personally, it's obvious I don't mind spending the money for a marker that does exactly what I want it to up front.

That said though, I understand not everyone can run out and buy a DAM (but if you can, I highly recommend it!) and that there are people with vastly different budgets. The new Magfed kit for the 98 that Tippmann is releasing is supposed to be fairly inexpensive...under $50 IIRC. If you already own a 98 that can take this conversion, then why not go with it if you are on a limited budget? A 98 that you already own with a $50 conversion on it is still less expensive than some of the least expensive mag fed markers out there now.
Robotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:47 PM #21
miramire
Terrible Turk

miramire is a Supporting Member
I agree wholeheartedly. I spend a lot of money on paintball including high-end markers but I don't necessarily believe everyone has to do the same. Everyone has different means so I'm not gonna judge people by them or suggest they go out and buy expensive gear or not play. If it were me 15 years ago I would go with the kit and conversion. Present day me would wait and save up for a mid-range magfed marker that complies with my milsim principles.