PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-01-2012, 03:34 PM #85
jogabonito7
boom goes the dynamite

has been a member for 10 years
At my school the kids in the frats are the ones who wouldn't make friends otherwise, but that's what you get at a small school in the Northeast. If I went to a big school or somewhere down south I'd probably rush. The sports teams are basically like frats where I go and I play soccer, so it works out nicely.
Advertisement
Old 05-02-2012, 11:04 AM #86
mike45thab
Louisiana Refugee

mike45thab plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogabonito7 View Post
At my school the kids in the frats are the ones who wouldn't make friends otherwise, but that's what you get at a small school in the Northeast. If I went to a big school or somewhere down south I'd probably rush. The sports teams are basically like frats where I go and I play soccer, so it works out nicely.
Can't comment because I go to school in the South.

My FeedBack
mike45thab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:39 PM #87
claustin10

Pledging a fraternity is probably the best decision I've made in college. That said, I was very lucky with how it's turned out for me and a lot of people don't have experiences like mine. Once I saw all the chapters at my school I pretty much new exactly where I wanted to be. I got a long with just about everyone and made some great friends. I also got an opportunity to move in the house the semester after pledging (usually doesn't happen because of seniority). As it stands now, with how low my rent is, my chapter having a meal plan, and fairly low dues for my campus I actually save money by being in my fraternity.

I strongly suggest that you at least rush. Go in and be yourself and if you find a chapter you really like and you get a bid, pledge. Don't try to just fit in somewhere just because they're the "top house" on your campus. 99% of the people I know who regret going greek regret it because they weren't being themselves to try and get a bid from somewhere.
claustin10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:09 AM #88
paintballty99
You's dead, brah.

paintballty99 donated to help Peyton Trent
paintballty99 supports Bob Gurnsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by eforce View Post
So you're pissed that they stopped giving you free beer and inviting you to parties after you told them you have zero interest in their house?
No, I think it is a comment on how ****ing retarded they are.

As in, they aren't actually cool dudes or anything. They were just trying to get more dudes to join, and are actually the stereotypical ******s.

That's what I got from it.

When I was in college....all the guys I knew that were in frats were the stereotypical fags.
The guys who would only show up to about 1/4 of their classes because they were drinking every other night, and ended up with piss poor grades or dropping out.

You guys will probably give me **** for my opinion, and I am sure that not all frats are the same....but I have a very jaded opinion of them.

I always laugh when I hear of the crap people have to put up with as far as pledging at initiation and whatnot.....because they think it matters to be in a frat so much to actually humiliate themselves.

Originally Posted by Lyndon
Germans called Canadians storm troopers in WWI, not because we were good, but because we reminded them of Star Wars.
paintballty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:56 PM #89
chodeyg
sprezzatura

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVPaintballer View Post
That's sort of subjective... isn't it?

The one thing I know about frats:

Anyone in a frat I've ever talked to never regretted doing it.
Are you talking about people who joined, and stuck with it? Because of course they wouldn't regret it or they would have left. I know several people who left fraternities and sororities for any number of reasons. Then again my school is not heavily Greek.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:31 AM #90
stovypotts

its the best time u never want to have again, like me and my fellow brothers say (Pi Lambda Phi, PA Kappa Eta, Widener University). just stick it out..my process wasnt too bad..didnt plan on going greek but like 10 of teammates on my rugby team were in the frat and they brought me over for a few parties and socials with sororities and my mind was made up right then and there lol
stovypotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:58 PM #91
qwertyman22
Andrew

qwertyman22 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
qwertyman22 supports Team VICIOUS
qwertyman22 is an NCPA player
qwertyman22 plays in the APPA D4 division
the important thing to note is that when you pledge you can opt-out at any time. You're risking nothing by at least trying it out in my own opinion. Many times you'll run into three types of people: fraternity haters, fraternity lovers, and those in the middle. My fraternity is best on campus, SAE till i die. We're #1 in intramurals and community service, and in the top 3 in GPA. Plus we have some BOMB tailgates. My advice: try it, if you don't like it, drop. You can make whatever choice you want. Like MVPaintballer says, it's subjective.
qwertyman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:57 PM #92
memorex
I'm Suppish

memorex helped look for balloons
memorex is reppin' sidebar 4 life
frats are just for connections

it isn't what you know...it's who you know
Old 11-14-2012, 11:14 AM #93
eforce
Factory PB

eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballty99 View Post
As in, they aren't actually cool dudes or anything. They were just trying to get more dudes to join, and are actually the stereotypical ******s.
Of course they were trying to recruit... a quarter of the house graduates every year, and the entire house is replaced every four years. If they don't recruit, they die. Outsiders seem to believe that fraternities are responsible for providing them with booze and parties, and they're *******s for saying no. Every non-member in the house is a liability and an expense. If you aren't legitimately interested in being a part of the house, you have no business being there. You're just using them for alcohol and women.

Would you expect a company to keep paying to fly you across the country if you stop interviewing with them? **** no. The moment you decide not to work for them, you're dead to them, and it's not out of arrogance or disrespect - it's the simple fact that they need not pour resources into someone that will never benefit them.
eforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:58 PM #94
Ben-L

Ben-L plays in the PSP
Ben-L plays in the APPA D4 division
I wake up drunk bleeding in the street without friends because I am not in a frat.
Ben-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:47 AM #95
empirepbplayer93
OLD GREG'S GOT A MANGINA!

empirepbplayer93 supports Cereal Killerz 2
empirepbplayer93 helped look for balloons
empirepbplayer93 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
It's one of the best decisions you could ever make. I don't know what I would do without my brothers. It has opened so many doors for my future, career wise, and I have met a lot of important people around my school and community. Not only that, but you're considered "cool" around campus, especially with the ladies. haha (:
Fox Brothers Battalion #14
empirepbplayer93 is offline   Reply With Quote