Community Focus

Old 01-31-2011, 11:04 AM #421
MutR.
Shut up.

has been a member for 10 years
MutR. helped look for balloons
MutR. posts videos on PbNation
MutR. is reppin' sidebar 4 life
whatever bulbs you get most likely wont have the same color temperature as your strobes so i dont see how that will fix your issue.

but if you insist. I use daylight bulbs in the room i shoot in, and i dont get any wierd color in my images.

CONSPIRACY THEORIST EXTRAORDINAIRE
MutR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-31-2011, 11:15 AM #422
g2k556
fustercluck

i'm confused, what do the lights have to do with the calibration of your monitors. changing your lights isn't going to change the fact that your image is different between two different monitors...? i'm also confused on how you incandescent bulbs aren't overpowered by the strobes unless they are uber bright lights? What strobes are you using?

It's funny because my sig's a ****.
g2k556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:17 AM #423
MutR.
Shut up.

only thing i cn think of is that he has his strobes on a low enough power that its letting natural light in with it.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:03 PM #424
PaintedSaint
lsdpsilocybinmarijuanadmt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutR. View Post
only thing i can think of is that he has his strobes on a low enough power that its letting natural light in with it.
At the moment im working with only have one strobe. This is a small room, roughly 14x18ft without couches and furniture. If i have the strobe any higher it gives pretty harsh tones, especially without my diffuser which is torn atm. That will be replaced shortly.

The fact that the lights are 1. yellow and 2. terrible make for a dark and warm work place. I dont understand how those two things DONT affect how the image looks on the monitor especially when compared to the well lit calibrated displays that we use on campus.

The fact that the $20 worth of bulbs or something similar is probably the simplest, cheapest, and easiest solution to most of my problems. correct me if im wrong, any who, thats why i asked for opinions on them.
blog.

Last edited by PaintedSaint : 01-31-2011 at 12:13 PM.
PaintedSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:16 PM #425
g2k556
fustercluck

rig something up, like hang a sheet from the ceiling or something, room lights shouldn't have an effect on the color, the flash should easily over power it. Why would a 14x18ft room effect how strong you have the strobe? Room size shouldn't have anything to do with it, it's all about the diffuser you're using. if anything, a small room should help, you can bounce then?

As far as the monitors, I don't understand how room light effects the color at all on them? If they are both calibrated, it won't matter if you're in a dark dungeon or a super bright room, it should look relatively the same. room light doesn't effect screens at all, unless of course it's direct sun or uber bright. screens have their own light? Unless I'm just not understanding something here?

Old 01-31-2011, 12:23 PM #426
PaintedSaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by g2k556 View Post
As far as the monitors, I don't understand how room light effects the color at all on them? If they are both calibrated, it won't matter if you're in a dark dungeon or a super bright room, it should look relatively the same. room light doesn't effect screens at all, unless of course it's direct sun or uber bright. screens have their own light? Unless I'm just not understanding something here?
From where Im coming from spending the small amount on money to fix the lighting is alot easier than spending more money on calibrating the monitor. Even if I calibrate the monitor its still dark and yellow down here all the time. And the bulbs still buzz. Thats not just a photo thing, its just annoying in itself.

As for the other suggestions, yea I really dont have an excuse except for not playing around enough with my stuff.
blog.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:25 PM #427
g2k556
fustercluck

ok, well i'm just sayin' it doesn't matter what lights you have there, it won't change the fact that your monitor is not calibrated, it will still look different if you change the lights or not. monitors produce their own light and are not effected by the room lights? Replace the lights if you want, but i think you'll be disappointed when you find it doesn't fix anything.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:29 PM #428
masquerade
Barrel Back Factory.

masquerade is a Paintball photographer
Those "eco" friendly bulbs have **** tons of mercury in them. I refuse to use them.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:40 PM #429
PaintedSaint

Quote:
ok, well i'm just sayin' it doesn't matter what lights you have there, it won't change the fact that your monitor is not calibrated, it will still look different if you change the lights or not. monitors produce their own light and are not effected by the room lights? Replace the lights if you want, but i think you'll be disappointed when you find it doesn't fix anything.
Aight, Im still fairly sure that if one of the places im editing is dimlit with yellow lights and the other is well lit ,with what ill assume is a more neutral color, then somewhat equating the two will help. Thanks, ya'll can ignore this stuff now ill just go searching for some new lights.
blog.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:12 PM #430
MutR.
Shut up.

you're somewhat right. The color on the screen will change as far as how your eye sees it, but it will not actually change. This is why most of the advanced photo editors use the numerical value of a color when theyre editing instead of trying to do it by eye.

The size of the room does matter. no matter what diffuser is being used, if the room is small enough and the lights are bright enough, there will be some light wrap-around on the subject, unless you flag the hell out of the room, but then your subject will be walking through a maze of flags as he/she moves about the studio lol

sounds to me like your best bet is to just turn the lights off while youre shooting and use the modeling lamp on your strobes for room light. As for the buzzing, replace the bulbs i guess, but dont expect it to help with your photos. it might help with your editing.

Last edited by MutR. : 01-31-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:32 PM #431
g2k556
fustercluck

you're right, i stated that wrong, but he said that if he turned up the strobe, he'd get harsh tones, which doesn't have to do with how big the room is, but not being diffused enough? i could be thinking wrong, so correct me if i'm wrong.

but as far as computer screens, room light does not effect the color visible. Screens don't use pigments, they use actual light, so therefore the screen color will not change under different lighting conditions, as far as color. obviously super bright lights (sun) make it harder to see the screen, ex. cellphone in the sun, the colors are dimmer and will appear different. but you could have a room only lit with just black lights, or pure yellow lights, or pure red lights, or pure green, whatever, the monitor won't change color.

now if you printed out the photo, and compared the print in the different lights, you would see a difference as photos use pigments and change relative to the type of light that is reflecting off of them.

Last edited by g2k556 : 01-31-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:51 PM #432
PaintedSaint

Quote:
but as far as computer screens, room light does not effect the color visible. Screens don't use pigments, they use actual light, so therefore the screen color will not change under different lighting conditions, as far as color.
LCD screens certainly use pigments. They are backlit by florescents. "A liquid crystal display (LCD) is a thin, flat electronic visual display that uses the light modulating properties of liquid crystals (LCs). LCs do not emit light directly."-wiki. LED monitors show direct light.

Thanks mutr, I really do need to try bouncing it off the walls more and other similar things to make the most out of my strobe. Im seeing what youre saying more clearly now and it makes sense. Just gotta get back to messin around in there. I think that the lights will help with editing more than anything really, now that im focusing more on my post i kinda noticed how dark it was down here.
blog.

Last edited by PaintedSaint : 01-31-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:33 PM #433
g2k556
fustercluck

LCDs use a few different filters, polarizing, color, and crystals acting as prisms. that's much different then say an ink pigment. but go a head an get new lights, maybe you'll like the look better, but i promise you, it's not going to change the color your monitor is producing. Your monitor produces it's own light so your room lights won't be reflecting off of it like it would say a print. my lighting condition is my room (where i do photo editing) change all the time in terms of brightness and color temperature. whether it's sunlight, filtered sunlight (blue sheet hung up, redid my room and haven't got blinds yet), light from my projector, or no light at all, the monitor is ALWAYS the same. get new lights, but i'm telling you, they won't change your monitor color....

Old 01-31-2011, 02:55 PM #434
MutR.
Shut up.

they will change the color that your eye sees. if you have tungsten bulbs in your room, the light going into your eye will have a tungsten haze in it.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:03 PM #435
g2k556
fustercluck

think what you guys want, but i promise, changing the lights isn't going to fix his issue. the tungsten may slightly effect the color, but it's only slightly, not enough to make it frustrating when editing on two different monitors. he's got a poorly calibrated or just a crappy monitor at home. the light in his room isn't going to change that. if i follow your logic, when i put my blue sheet up in the window casting a heavily blue hue in my room, the colors on my monitor would technically appear cooler, which i can assure you, isn't the case... like i said, i don't care if he gets new lights, but to actually fix his problem, he needs to calibrate and/or get a better monitor depend on the quality he has right now.

Old 01-31-2011, 03:06 PM #436
Striker9

The color of the monitor will appear heavily influenced by the light levels in the room, along with the colors surrounding the monitor. This is why most color calibrators automatically adjust the screen for differing ambient light conditions.

What type of computers are you using?
Striker9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:11 PM #437
Brock Obama v.2

Where should I go to buy a used lens (specifically a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8)? I'm a member on photography-on-the.net but most of the ones on there are either sold, broken, or overpriced. Are there any other forums/websites/stores I should check out?

Penn State Nittany Lions
Brock Obama v.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:30 PM #438
Striker9

ebay, keh.com, craigslist, bhphoto used department, adorama used department,
Striker9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 11:03 PM #439
g2k556
fustercluck

fredmiranda is another one to check. i've been finding that used prices are have their averages, but if you look hard/long enough you'll find a steal. just depends how patient your are. i found a 100mm f/2.8 for $330 on ebay picking up a 17-55 from POTN for $825 right now, not super, but still a pretty good deal

Old 02-01-2011, 01:55 PM #440
HarrisonJones

HarrisonJones is a Professional paintball player
 plays in the NXL
HarrisonJones owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
HarrisonJones plays in the APPA D3 division
Ik this is the photography section but do you think a steadicam would seem logical to use in paintball?

PLUMLIFE

Avid - Paintball Arkansas - Empire - HK Army
HarrisonJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:26 PM #441
g2k556
fustercluck

it's the thread right below photog faq...
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2454644

and depends how you plan to do it, if you're gonna be running and stopping a lot, doubtful. but i could see it's uses.