Old 08-10-2011, 06:24 PM #64
ZeR0 EVOlution
420blazeit

ZeR0 EVOlution is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
ZeR0 EVOlution is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog91 View Post
So my girl lent me her old windows laptop while I figure out my laptop situation..God I CANT wait to hop on my Apple bandwagon again lol...the air is going to be mine and im to pumped..everyone keeps telling me to NOT get it, but to be honest the less I have had access to a laptop the more I use my iPhone4 the MORE I realize how much time we actually waste on laptops..I figured out that with literally just ONE app I get 95% of my work done...

Pulse..It has all the sites I visit so all my news is on there,spend few min on it several times a day and Im good..Insane how much time I waste on a laptop,now i KNOW that I will be more than golden with it..As long as it puts up with pictures,music management and dl of movies I think ill be fine..and yea school work and **** like that..

Anyways,anyone recommend a good external drive? I need one where I can have my time machine backup but also store movies and stuff I might not want on my laptop..Something cheap but Im thinking 500gb is enough..Also portable.
For the price of an average spec'd Air, you can buy a pretty decent MBP. Why would you waste your money on it? It's a novelty thing, it's not actually meant to be a real computer that you can do hardcore work on. You're going to spend money on it, one day decide to DL Photoshop, then realize the system can't handle what you're throwing at it, and you'll be pissed. Don't waste your money, it's not that good. My buddy sold his 1st Gen MBA and said it was the dumbest purchase of his life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametunim View Post
The only decent feature of Lion is multiple desktops other than that, it's completely worthless.
Spaces is essentially the same thing, I wouldn't really bother with Lion if that's the case.

"The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else." Arnold Schwarzenegger
ZeR0 EVOlution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2011, 07:51 PM #65
96 Ls lnteg
Hola

96 Ls lnteg is a Supporting Member
96 Ls lnteg is a Paintball photographer
96 Ls lnteg owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog91
So much money,yet so little savings passed to the user...Apple you ***-wipes..They can seriously cut the prices on their SSD and MAYBE take a small hit on each one..Idk why they wont do the nice favor.
Get over it apple didn't get to where it is by doin favors
Old 08-10-2011, 08:29 PM #66
ZeR0 EVOlution
420blazeit

ZeR0 EVOlution is a Supporting Member
ZeR0 EVOlution is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Unfortunately, it's going to be the fall of the company as well. The same tactics don't help you stay on the top, you have to evolve with the user's want for better products for a better price, or try to remain on a similar level in terms of rules and restrictions (i.e., iPhones won't let you use the camera if it senses you're at a concert, or however that was supposed to work itself out - http://www.businessinsider.com/iphon...patent-2011-6). If you just keep upping the price while also upping your already strict standards on said products, your customers will eventually lose loyalty and move elsewhere.

"The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else." Arnold Schwarzenegger
ZeR0 EVOlution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:42 PM #67
rnauman821

rnauman821 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeR0 EVOlution View Post
For the price of an average spec'd Air, you can buy a pretty decent MBP. Why would you waste your money on it? It's a novelty thing, it's not actually meant to be a real computer that you can do hardcore work on. You're going to spend money on it, one day decide to DL Photoshop, then realize the system can't handle what you're throwing at it, and you'll be pissed. Don't waste your money, it's not that good. My buddy sold his 1st Gen MBA and said it was the dumbest purchase of his life.

Spaces is essentially the same thing, I wouldn't really bother with Lion if that's the case.
I'm not retyping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnauman821
I had every generation of air up until this last update a week ago and had every pro as well. If all you are doing is real basic things over and need it there all the time and over then the air is the machine for you. If you failed to buy a desktop for your power tasks and would like to make an attempt at working them through on a mobile platform... then stick with a pro.

If you are set on OSX then I would get the smallest 11" air for a supplemental machine to either an iMac or Pro.
Quote:
I never used the Rom-drive in my Pro, so much so that I swapped it out for an Optibay. On the rare once in 6 months that you do need it, you can use the drive of your desktop over the network.

If you have the .EDU discount you can get a 256gb 1.8ghz i5 11" for under $1500 if you know how to shop. That will more than do what you plan on doing. As far as bulk media storage... just store it on your desktop and push it over your network.

After switching to the air/desktop I realized how much more I really would get done. The small size/ weight advantage/ battery life of the 11" air meant I was using it more frequently and bringing it with me to more locations. It saw much more use than my 13"pro simply because I could throw it in any bag I happened to have and be fine. If I actually needed to edit video, do real photowork, reencode media... I would just run it on my desktop with more screen real estate (multiple monitors), a full size keyboard, and a precise mouse.

The Pro may be marginally faster however it still uses a crippled mobile processor that is capped due to heat concerns. The Air is simply a unit that uses a slightly further crippled chip due to heat constraints. But it will do 70% of what you want to do at any given time, but it will be available to you more often. The desktop is your power that you fall back on when you need some umph to actually get things done. It pains me to see colleagues trying to edit their high definition footage off their 5dmII or process 12 gig work of raw photos on their macbook pros. You don't notice it until you are sitting next to them and you are able to render 6x10 times faster than them but there is a huge difference.

Apple is already starting to see the light, their mobile machines are moving to smaller, lighter, less energy efficient while pushing their desktops as the work horse.
Quote:
Even the $950 dollar air will do what 90% of people actually use daily.

Don't expect real performance out of a laptop. Buy for mobility and ability of use. I used to be one of those people that thought that laptops were on the same levels as desktops in raw ability. They aren't, look past that and buy something that you can use more often.

People really don't lug their 15" pros around much, smaller is better.
Quote:
I have had every pro and every air up to this past update and I always preferred the air. Just about everyone I know that went from pro to air had nothing but good things to say from the transition.
Quote:
Unless you are planning on living in CS, editing video, or gaming... the air will do everything you want and more. If you do plan on doing these things, a desktop should be your choice anyways.
rnauman821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:03 PM #68
96 Ls lnteg
Hola

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeR0 EVOlution
Unfortunately, it's going to be the fall of the company as well. The same tactics don't help you stay on the top, you have to evolve with the user's want for better products for a better price, or try to remain on a similar level in terms of rules and restrictions (i.e., iPhones won't let you use the camera if it senses you're at a concert, or however that was supposed to work itself out - http://www.businessinsider.com/iphon...patent-2011-6). If you just keep upping the price while also upping your already strict standards on said products, your customers will eventually lose loyalty and move elsewhere.
Obviously ist workin, when a Apple is surpassing Exxon and on track to be the first trillion dollar company, there same tatics help them get to where they are, They blew past Microsoft, Cisco, and other companies to become the most valuable tech company in the world.

Last edited by 96 Ls lnteg : 08-10-2011 at 09:07 PM.
96 Ls lnteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:15 PM #69
rnauman821

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Ls lnteg View Post
Obviously ist workin, when a Apple is surpassing Exxon and on track to be the first trillion dollar company, there same tatics help them get to where they are, They blew past Microsoft, Cisco, and other companies to become the most valuable tech company in the world.
In the next 5 years they are going to start tapering off. Unless they come out of no where with some new incredible technology... I just don't see it.

Their laptop design is 5 years old. Their Phone design is not dramatically different than 5 years ago. The iPad is a large ipod touch.

Nothing really spectacular. And their OS is already outdated due to the lack of planning for virtualization.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:43 PM #70
Jonezed7
Bleed Blue & White

Jonezed7 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Jonezed7 is Legendary
Jonezed7 is Boss
Jonezed7 is Immortal
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnauman821 View Post
In the next 5 years they are going to start tapering off. Unless they come out of no where with some new incredible technology... I just don't see it.

Their laptop design is 5 years old. Their Phone design is not dramatically different than 5 years ago. The iPad is a large ipod touch.

Nothing really spectacular. And their OS is already outdated due to the lack of planning for virtualization.
No offense, but this "large iPod Touch" has made them millions.
I personally don't care for it, but the rest of the world doesn't agree.

You think they won't keep releasing new products and updating their current ones? Use your head.
Jonezed7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:49 PM #71
Diametunim

Diametunim plays in the MiLP
Diametunim owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Diametunim plays in the APPA D5 division
Let's face it, apple markets to the technologically retarded. Which unfortunately, 98% of the world is. It's a formula that will probably continue working for them.
Diametunim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:57 PM #72
Jonezed7
Bleed Blue & White

Jonezed7 is Legendary
Jonezed7 is Boss
Jonezed7 is Immortal
I'm not technologically retarded and I buy their products.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:00 PM #73
96 Ls lnteg
Hola

Quote:

You absolutely right nothing last forever I don't really see them tapering off, most of the people I know are very happy with there MacBooks, what more do think they should have? The iPad is a large iPod touch, one that sold 9 million units last quarter obviously there what consumers want/need, I looked up the definition of "phone virtualization", I really don't know anyone that has expressed a need for it, I work for the govt and they issue blackberrys for us to use
Old 08-10-2011, 10:29 PM #74
Jonezed7
Bleed Blue & White

Jonezed7 is Legendary
Jonezed7 is Boss
Jonezed7 is Immortal
I'm still browsing for more cool mac apps... hrm.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:36 PM #75
rnauman821

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonezed7 View Post
No offense, but this "large iPod Touch" has made them millions.
I personally don't care for it, but the rest of the world doesn't agree.

You think they won't keep releasing new products and updating their current ones? Use your head.
I won't retype.

Quote:
After owning an iPad, I still think tablets were a Niche market that Apple is trying to squeeze into something it isn't. People that get them seem to awkwardly attempt to push their use into their daily routine as an attempt to justify their purchase. It's not great at anything, and that isn't something apple especially does.
Quote:
You absolutely right nothing last forever I don't really see them tapering off, most of the people I know are very happy with there MacBooks, what more do think they should have? The iPad is a large iPod touch, one that sold 9 million units last quarter obviously there what consumers want/need, I looked up the definition of "phone virtualization", I really don't know anyone that has expressed a need for it, I work for the govt and they issue blackberrys for us to use
... Blackberry was cutting edge five years ago with over half of the US smart phone market....
... Nokia used to sell more mobile phones every month than any other company had sold in a quarter....
... Palm used to sell more smart phones than apple sold computers...
... Dell used to outsell Apple at a 5:1 ratio...
... Gateway used to be the number one computer manufacturer in America...

People at the time were perfectly happy with these products, now they see them as ****. Brands never, stay at top, and Apple is slowly becoming more stagnant. Anymore, Mobile OEMs aren't copying anything from apple, Windows laptops are finally catching up... Where is Apples huge innovative product anymore?

I was referring to OSX for virtualization though I wish their phones used it as well. However Apple should have began virtualizing their mobile OS as well when Android did. Eventually they will have to make the switch and it will be a painful year..
Old 08-10-2011, 10:54 PM #76
96 Ls lnteg
Hola

Quote:

I won't retype.

... Blackberry was cutting edge five years ago with over half of the US smart phone market....
... Nokia used to sell more mobile phones every month than any other company had sold in a quarter....
... Palm used to sell more smart phones than apple sold computers...
... Dell used to outsell Apple at a 5:1 ratio...
... Gateway used to be the number one computer manufacturer in America...

People at the time were perfectly happy with these products, now they see them as ****. Brands never, stay at top, and Apple is slowly becoming more stagnant. Anymore, Mobile OEMs aren't copying anything from apple, Windows laptops are finally catching up... Where is Apples huge innovative product anymore?

I was referring to OSX for virtualization though I wish their phones used it as well. However Apple should have began virtualizing their mobile OS as well when Android did. Eventually they will have to make the switch and it will be a painful year..
My iPad fits well into my daily routine for portability an what I do everyday, I can login into my home computer/work if needed, I can do all my other stuff on my imac if I need more power , I see apple catering more to the average consumer just needs things to do the basics necessities in life and doesn't have the issues/complexities that a windows can cause for some people,
Old 08-10-2011, 10:57 PM #77
Jonezed7
Bleed Blue & White

Jonezed7 is Legendary
Jonezed7 is Boss
Jonezed7 is Immortal
Your first 3 examples were phones. I don't see HP, Dell, Toshiba, Sony etc going out of business. Those are better examples. Well, maybe not dell. Dell just had one innovative idea to use a lean/just in time strategy to cut many production and warehousing costs.

I don't think they'll be on top forever, but I don't think they're going anywhere anytime soon. You're just making assumptions based on companies that specialized in one segregated market. Apple sells computers, phones, mp3 players, etc.

They sell more phones than any company, more mp3 players than any company, and maybe more laptops (not sure about computers/laptops).

Their last project was a huge success, the iPad. Who knows what's next.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:49 PM #78
rnauman821

Quote:
My iPad fits well into my daily routine for portability an what I do everyday, I can login into my home computer/work if needed, I can do all my other stuff on my imac if I need more power , I see apple catering more to the average consumer just needs things to do the basics necessities in life and doesn't have the issues/complexities that a windows can cause for some people,
If it works for you, awesome. Tablets as they sit are still a niche being pushed because of stagnant computer market. They don't do anything as well as a laptop other than portability. However laptops are getting to the point that within 2-3 years they will have the same portability however they will have infinitely more applications that run in full complexity. I think they next push will end up being ultraportable laptops with touch screens. Think about an 11" air with a touch screen. Their operating systems just aren't anywhere near as developed as their PC counterparts and the touch interface needs massive refining.

As far as the complexities of windows... Try networking large groups of apple computers, connect them into a domain, and secure and encrypt their data. Apple's little ecosystem is nice.. But when it turns into anything more than personal computing... It's not even a choice.

Quote:
Your first 3 examples were phones. I don't see HP, Dell, Toshiba, Sony etc going out of business. Those are better examples. Well, maybe not dell. Dell just had one innovative idea to use a lean/just in time strategy to cut many production and warehousing costs.

I don't think they'll be on top forever, but I don't think they're going anywhere anytime soon. You're just making assumptions based on companies that specialized in one segregated market. Apple sells computers, phones, mp3 players, etc.

They sell more phones than any company, more mp3 players than any company, and maybe more laptops (not sure about computers/laptops).

Their last project was a huge success, the iPad. Who knows what's next.
My first three examples are also all companies that compete in a market as Apple. Sony is getting slapped around hard, and is a shadow of its past. Toshiba has never competed for apples customers. HP is about the closest I can imagine however they actually have a business focus.

If you don't remember, dell used be a massive contender in desktops, laptops, and the MP3 player market. They slacked, and became irrelevant.

Again... Unless Apple comes up with the next wheel of technology the next couple years... they will start a decline.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:58 PM #79
Jonezed7
Bleed Blue & White

Jonezed7 is Legendary
Jonezed7 is Boss
Jonezed7 is Immortal
Quote:

My first three examples are also all companies that compete in a market as Apple. Sony is getting slapped around hard, and is a shadow of its past. Toshiba has never competed for apples customers. HP is about the closest I can imagine however they actually have a business focus.

If you don't remember, dell used be a massive contender in desktops, laptops, and the MP3 player market. They slacked, and became irrelevant.

Again... Unless Apple comes up with the next wheel of technology the next couple years... they will start a decline.
bah, you're posts are so frustrating.

Sony makes some of the best tvs. You're focusing on a segregated part of the market but then start comparing apples to oranges. Make a choice on what you're trying to compare.

Dell used to sell laptops and desktops? Really?
They're still successful with their innovative strategy that I touched upon above. Their mp3 player the jukebox or something was anything huge. The biggest iPod competitor was probably the zune, made by Microsoft.

You so realize all compiles technically have a business focus with goals and a mission? Go read mission statements.

Toshiba has never competed for apple customers? So they don't want any of apples customers to consider their computers? What are you talking about?

Hp recently acquired the palm os and hopefully they do good things with it.

Dell is hardly irrelevant in the computing market.

Apple isn't going anywhere anytime soon. What are the competitors releasing that apple isn't?

Wow.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:23 AM #80
rnauman821

Quote:
bah, you're posts are so frustrating.

Sony makes some of the best tvs. You're focusing on a segregated part of the market but then start comparing apples to oranges. Make a choice on what you're trying to compare.

Their part in the TV market has shrunk, their share in the computer market has shrunk, their share in the phone market has shrunk, their share in the music market has shrunk, their share in the home audio market has shrunk. They as a company have withered.

Dell used to sell laptops and desktops? Really?
They're still successful with their innovative strategy that I touched upon above. Their mp3 player the jukebox or something was anything huge. The biggest iPod competitor was probably the zune, made by Microsoft.

I'm going father back than you. Dell MP3 players were before the Zune ever touched the market. For quite a while they were as big as the IPod.. But then they sat on the same product and everyone passed them by.

You so realize all compiles technically have a business focus with goals and a mission? Go read mission statements.

Toshiba has never competed for apple customers? So they don't want any of apples customers to consider their computers? What are you talking about?

Toshiba has been a company with a focus on business laptop customers and cheap cheap budget computers. You could argue the Qosmio was their attempt at the gamer. Apple doesn't touch any of these markets with a ten foot pole.

Hp recently acquired the palm os and hopefully they do good things with it.

Dell is hardly irrelevant in the computing market.

They have come back in the last year or so however compared to where they were.... they became irrelevant.

Apple isn't going anywhere anytime soon. What are the competitors releasing that apple isn't?

They said that about Apple several years before they almost went under and were irrelevant. They will stay in the market until Steve dies. After that it's just a matter of time.

Wow.
To make it easier to follow.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:20 AM #81
Kinky Wizard

From what I've seen, most Apple owners are more loyal to the company than the average user. If things started trending downward, people would stick with them. Yeah, sure the fanboys would probably fade away but what's left would be genuine Apple enthusiasts who aren't rocked by drastic market changes or company losses. Looking at Apple's progress in the market over the last 2 years, it's impressive. Of course, there's any number of factors that could work against that, but nothing's happened yet and it's not extremely likely that anything will for a while.

Hell, I remember when they were basically floundering before the 1998 iMac came out, yet I was still excited whenever they came out with new machines or new software. Now that they've established more of a solid identity if they were to drop off again they would still probably fair better than in the past.

Xbox LIVE gamertag: drewzkie
AIM: k1nk33w1zz3rd
Kinky Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:24 AM #82
rnauman821

I have always been interested in Apples offerings.

However we are talking about consumer electronics. All it takes is enough time without pushing out the new must have, and having competitors with comparable offerings... and people are willing to jump ship.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:55 AM #83
Jonezed7
Bleed Blue & White

Jonezed7 is Legendary
Jonezed7 is Boss
Jonezed7 is Immortal
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnauman821 View Post
To make it easier to follow.
Sony is bigger than you think. Think about the PS3 and blu ray player. All sony technology.

Apple customers are very loyal. I know veryyyyy few people that have ever switched away from an iPhone. Same deal with macbooks and iMacs. Once they buy one, they're in.

Dell's mp3 player was never as big as you're imagining. MP3 players didn't become very popular till the release of the iPod. You think Apple won't come up with something new? Let's look at the iPod for example. Did you think it was a dying technology and then BAM, the iPod Touch and then BAM, the iPad.

Toshiba and apple are competitors because they sell similar products in the same market. That's like saying Apple and RIM aren't competitors because RIM sells business oriented phones.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:27 AM #84
rnauman821

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonezed7

Sony is bigger than you think. Think about the PS3 and blu ray player. All sony technology.

Apple customers are very loyal. I know veryyyyy few people that have ever switched away from an iPhone. Same deal with macbooks and iMacs. Once they buy one, they're in.

Dell's mp3 player was never as big as you're imagining. MP3 players didn't become very popular till the release of the iPod. You think Apple won't come up with something new? Let's look at the iPod for example. Did you think it was a dying technology and then BAM, the iPod Touch and then BAM, the iPad.

Toshiba and apple are competitors because they sell similar products in the same market. That's like saying Apple and RIM aren't competitors because RIM sells business oriented phones.
Sony looses money per unit on the PS3. They are a shadow if their former self.

I have switched back and for from different phones for years... Including the iPhone. You seem to put a lot more faith in brand loyalty than is justified in a field where brand loyalty doesn't truly exist.

I had 4 mp3 players before apple ever came out with their iPod. The only thing the iPod changed was the interface for syncing, they in no way created the MP3 player or it's market. The Dell jukebox was one of the top 3 mp3 players for some time.

The touch wasn't a breakthrough. The iPhone was. Every spin off product (itouch, iPad, touch nano) has been nothing to push the envelope further.

The average apple customer doesn't consider toshiba, and the average toshiba customer and afford/doesn't desire to use OSX.