Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-07-2006, 08:01 AM #1
PhantomGhost
Fraggle Rocker

has been a member for 10 years
PhantomGhost is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Prayer in Public?

So with so much seperation of Church and State and the banning of prayer in schools who here still prays in public. I am not in school at all. Those days ar beyond me, but I do pray OUTLOUD with my family when we sit at a resturant. I am just curious if other do that or not.
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2006, 08:09 AM #2
Hoytie
F=ma. Believe it.

Me and a friend were at Boston Pizza last night and I prayed out loud before we ate.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:12 AM #3
ISmokeIce
Postmodern Sophist

I don't pray, but I feel that people have the right to pray out loud.
"No passion is stronger in the breast of man than the desire to make others believe as he believes...It is not the love of truth, but desire to prevail that sets quarter against quarter and makes parish desire the downfall of parish. Each seeks peace of mind and subserviency rather than the triumph of truth and exaltation of virtue-- But these moralities belong, and should be left to the historian, since they are as dull as ditch water" - Orlando: A Biography
Old 12-07-2006, 08:14 AM #4
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

RamboPreacher is a founding member
separation of church and state, not being a constitutional issue is another topic. however, I do pray in public as the need arises and though I voted out loud, sometimes out loud is not appropriate.
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:30 AM #5
drefish99
Baby Jesus FTW!!!

drefish99 is a Supporting Member
drefish99 supports Bob Gurnsey
It depends on the situation. If we are blessing a meal. Even if we are in public we will pray outloud. If we are a really large group (big family) we will just pray silently.

On a regular basis you can catch me in prayer almost all the time. Drefish99 = Prayer Warrior that is usually done silently. Already enough crazies in Suckago talking to themselves outloud.
1 Thessalonians 5:17
17pray continually;
Romans 6:23
“God never promises to remove us from our struggles. He does promise, however, to change the way we look at them.”-Max Lucado

Well the thing I find most amazing
In amazing grace
Is the chance to give it out
Maybe that's what love is all about

The most he did was die for me, the least I can do is live for him.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:34 AM #6
paintballonaim (Banned)

paintballonaim is an NCPA player
paintballonaim plays in the APPA D5 division
Silently to myself - I'm not trying to impress anyone.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:59 PM #7
PBballa8536
Purdue

PBballa8536 plays in the PSP
PBballa8536 is an NCPA player
PBballa8536 plays in the APPA D5 division
I personally don't pray out loud, but that is my personality, if you do (IM NOT SAYING ITS WRONG) be careful what heart you do it with.

Mathew 5:5-8 "And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have recieved their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for you Father knows what you need before you ask him."

I love seeing people pray outloud when they use it as a witness, but be careful not to use it in the wrong way.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:04 PM #8
morca007

I do not pray anywhere, myself, but I believe it is well within an individuals rights to pray anywhere they are not obstructing anyone else.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:07 PM #9
akatch79

I personally do not pray, but if you want to pray in public (without coercing others to do the same, of course), that is your prerogative and I'll say nothing to stop you.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:15 PM #10
Hoytie
F=ma. Believe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBballa8536 View Post
I personally don't pray out loud, but that is my personality, if you do (IM NOT SAYING ITS WRONG) be careful what heart you do it with.

Mathew 5:5-8 "And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have recieved their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for you Father knows what you need before you ask him."

I love seeing people pray outloud when they use it as a witness, but be careful not to use it in the wrong way.
Yeah, that can certainly applies in an environment full of Christians but there is certainly no open reward for praying in a public place where most people are likely not Christians.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:29 PM #11
paintballonaim (Banned)

paintballonaim is an NCPA player
paintballonaim plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBballa8536 View Post

Yea, exactly - if you pray in public go ahead, but it's when you go "HEY EVERYONE, CHECK ME OUT, I'M A CHRISTIAN AND I AM PRAYING!! IN PUBLIC!!" that annoys me.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:52 PM #12
Pump Scout
New gun,old gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
Pump Scout owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek MG100
Pump Scout is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
I don't, but I also don't have a problem with anyone who does.

Actually, we have a sizable population of Amish/Mennonite around here, who turn up once in a while in various restaraunts. Their faith is very evident, and appears somewhat "out of place" at, say, Dairy Queen. It's an interesting clash of cultures at times, but most of those stories I'll save for another thread.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:04 PM #13
PhantomGhost
Fraggle Rocker

PhantomGhost is reppin' sidebar 4 life
I have a LOUD family but when we eat out we always pray out loud the common table prayer. We always pray before each meal but we are not LOUD about the prayer though. We pray but we don't disrupt others around us when we do.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:26 PM #14
slateman

slateman is a Supporting Member
slateman is a founding member
slateman is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
I've prayed out loud before. I've prayed silently. Meh, whats the big deal? I just try to stay out of the way where I won't be in people's way. Last thing I'd want to do is get run over by some bike courier

Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit
Old 12-07-2006, 02:38 PM #15
disinformation

even if my family goes to taco bell, we join hands and pray at their crappy tables in front of everyone. we ask for god to bless our disgusting meal, but really i think we're just praying we don't get diarhea.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:54 PM #16
durrell

durrell is a Supporting Member
I pray silently alot in public, like before tests and stuff. Really helps calm me down.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:21 PM #17
southernkid7892

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballonaim View Post
Silently to myself - I'm not trying to impress anyone.
Same and also I don't pray outloud because I belive that people who dont belive your way shouldn't have to hear you.
that doesn't make sense you ****ing inbred, you're either smoking hot or you are not smoking hot.
that's like saying your pet is kind-of a dog.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:22 PM #18
151*
Will Return

I dont believe in praying out loud, its supposed to be a conversation between you and God imo, not shouting so others can hear you. God has good ears, he doesnt need you to shout
Old 12-07-2006, 04:25 PM #19
X_Paint
Once dead, now alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post
separation of church and state, not being a constitutional issue is another topic. however, I do pray in public as the need arises and though I voted out loud, sometimes out loud is not appropriate.

RP!!!!! - He's Baaaaaack! Now all we need is CD!

Oh yeah, I only pray one way - often.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:49 PM #20
Duke of Advil

If I an alone in public i pray in silence, but if I am in public with my family or a Group of Christians I will pray out loud. This is not to draw attention to myself but to give others in the group to pray with me and for the same need.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:55 PM #21
MVPaintballer
Mega Flagellator

MVPaintballer is a Moderator
MVPaintballer is a Supporting Member
MVPaintballer donated to help Peyton Trent
MVPaintballer supports Bob Gurnsey
Depends, when I say grace with a fellow Christian, I say outloud. Usually I keep it to myself when a non-Christian is there though.