PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-14-2014, 10:10 AM #1
mullerrice

A little help/recommendations with a Spyder Victor 1

Hello all,

Im currently a new member to forums as well as a beginner to paintball, I currently roll with a tippmann Project salvo with loads of different accessories. Agreeably not the best of guns I could have purchased, but at the time I got a decent bundle together for the price I paid. I only play woodsball recreationally and not really into taking the whole “paintballing experience” seriously, its just a laugh with a bunch of mates at the end of the day.
Now I’ve managed to get my mitts on a Spyder Victor 1 *insert sighs* but for 20 quid it was a bargain, Since I was after a reasonable starter speed ball gun I can throw about with the intention of it still working, but have the room to customise and even mod. I’m told it was purchased in 1999 and for its age it’s in brilliant condition with only escaping minor scuffs. I’ve come into the community in the intension of having some inside knowledge and recommendations to help build a reasonable marker and so far I’ve discovered the following:

The stock barrel is horrendous – Which I want to exchange it for a deadly wind? Not after inserts just the mid range bore, since it’ll be mostly site paint I’ll be using.

The stock frame – A very low BPS, made of composite (which I will no doubt bust) I’ve seen E-frames and rocking triggers but can’t seem to find any (does anyone have one they wish to part with?) I understand victor 2 and imagine? Have a very similar build (if not identical) so I would imagine they are compatible.

The bolt – I’ve been told has no anti chop and will need to be changed, which I can still get hold of.

The overall frame – Decent build quality and fairly light, so that’s not an issue.
I know you can convert it to a spimmy, but trying the find bob long parts will be a bit of task so converting it to an e-frame/rocking trigger seems logical, plus I see firing so much paint so quickly a waste and would rather spend another day at a field then waste all my money in one go. You ask why I want an e-trigger, well its more for the response and ability to fire quickly when needed.

I should probably mention that yes, I could go out and buy a more modern gun (I do have my eye on an etha) But I do enjoy taking things to bits and modding them. I would like to see this as a bit of a project and I’m not prepared to go out and buy a speedball gun which I may in time not enjoy. Besides fixing and modding stuff gives a sense of pride no matter how crap it is (unless it doesn’t work xD)

So as an overall question what would you guys/gals recommend? And is there anyone willing to part with bits I need, especially the e-frame/rocking trigger.
mullerrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-14-2014, 10:49 AM #2
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Honestly, it sounds like you're wanting to upgrade/change so many parts on the gun that it would make no sense to start with the Victor platform, unless money is no object.

I'm assuming you're in the UK, and while I don't know what the used/discount market scene is like over there, sourcing an older Spyder in the states with an e-frame is very easy.

http://www.iisports.com/product.asp?...&dept_id=13912

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullerrice View Post
The stock barrel is horrendous
What makes you say that? Is the interior bore all scuffed up?

Quote:
– Which I want to exchange it for a deadly wind? Not after inserts just the mid range bore, since it’ll be mostly site paint I’ll be using.
Deadlywind makes some of the nicest barrels available, but they're also among the most expensive. It would seem like overkill for a budget Spyder build, or really anything that's not a high-end pumpgun build where rollouts are an issue.
I wouldn't recommend buying anything more expensive than the CP one-piece.
Quote:
The stock frame – A very low BPS, made of composite (which I will no doubt bust) I’ve seen E-frames and rocking triggers but can’t seem to find any (does anyone have one they wish to part with?) I understand victor 2 and imagine? Have a very similar build (if not identical) so I would imagine they are compatible.
There's wide compatibility between the various Spyders and the E-frames. Less so when you start mixing and matching Spyders with Spyder clones like the Dragun, Rex, and Rebel families of guns.

eBay would probably be the best place to look, though again I'm not sure about UK availability.
In most cases you'll find that it will be cheaper to buy an entire used gun (like an E-99, Flash, or Electra) than to buy an old Spyder e-frame separately.

Quote:
The bolt – I’ve been told has no anti chop and will need to be changed, which I can still get hold of.
I've never been that impressed with Kingman's springloaded anti-chop Spyder bolts. Ideally, if you're shooting an electronically-framed gun the marker would have anti-chop sensor eyes mounted in the body, as on that RS I posted above. It's possible to custom install these yourself if you have a circuit board that recognizes the input, though finding the parts is getting tricky.

Lots of Spyder parts available for cheap here: http://www.baccipaintball.com/parts/...der-parts.html
Quote:
The overall frame – Decent build quality and fairly light, so that’s not an issue.
I know you can convert it to a spimmy, but trying the find bob long parts will be a bit of task so converting it to an e-frame/rocking trigger seems logical, plus I see firing so much paint so quickly a waste and would rather spend another day at a field then waste all my money in one go. You ask why I want an e-trigger, well its more for the response and ability to fire quickly when needed.

I should probably mention that yes, I could go out and buy a more modern gun (I do have my eye on an etha) But I do enjoy taking things to bits and modding them. I would like to see this as a bit of a project and I’m not prepared to go out and buy a speedball gun which I may in time not enjoy. Besides fixing and modding stuff gives a sense of pride no matter how crap it is (unless it doesn’t work xD)

So as an overall question what would you guys/gals recommend? And is there anyone willing to part with bits I need, especially the e-frame/rocking trigger.
Well again, I'd recommend possibly sourcing a different base Spyder to start with (in order to have a better feedneck and some type of vertical adapter), though I'm curious which version of the Victor you have. Kingman has an annoying habit of re-using model names after 3-4 years and sometimes the different versions of the same "type" of Spyder can be very different.

The Inflicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:45 AM #3
mullerrice

First of all thank you The Inflicted for a quick reply.

Quote:
Honestly, it sounds like you're wanting to upgrade/change so many parts on the gun that it would make no sense to start with the Victor platform, unless money is no object.

I'm assuming you're in the UK, and while I don't know what the used/discount market scene is like over there, sourcing an older Spyder in the states with an e-frame is very easy.

http://www.iisports.com/product.asp?...&dept_id=13912
Yes money is no object, but I’m not one to splash too much cash, second hand parts is what I’m aiming at. I do live in the UK and googling seems to come with tonnes of forums and not many sellers. Ebay over here is not great and I can’t seem to find anything that I’m looking for, but I think that’s due to the difference in EBay rules. I have seen a few frames from the states but unfortunately not many people are interested in sending items abroad.

Quote:
What makes you say that? Is the interior bore all scuffed up?
The stock barrel is horrendous due to the bore, your better of hip firing.

Quote:
Deadlywind makes some of the nicest barrels available, but they're also among the most expensive. It would seem like overkill for a budget Spyder build, or really anything that's not a high-end pumpgun build where rollouts are an issue.
I wouldn't recommend buying anything more expensive than the CP one-piece.
Deadly wind do make some nice barrels and I do like the look of the carbon fibre ones they produce. I know of a company that makes custom brass barrels to a very nice standard but again its in the states and cost a small fortune. I have a J&J ceramic barrel for the salvo that has given it a major increase in accuracy and even range.

Quote:
There's wide compatibility between the various Spyders and the E-frames. Less so when you start mixing and matching Spyders with Spyder clones like the Dragun, Rex, and Rebel families of guns.

eBay would probably be the best place to look, though again I'm not sure about UK availability.
In most cases you'll find that it will be cheaper to buy an entire used gun (like an E-99, Flash, or Electra) than to buy an old Spyder e-frame separately.
I have noticed a lot of compatibility between markers and do agree it might be worth salvaging from a used marker. But since I have not seen any e-frames for sale its hard to put a measure on whether it is worth it.

Quote:
I've never been that impressed with Kingman's springloaded anti-chop Spyder bolts. Ideally, if you're shooting an electronically-framed gun the marker would have anti-chop sensor eyes mounted in the body, as on that RS I posted above. It's possible to custom install these yourself if you have a circuit board that recognizes the input, though finding the parts is getting tricky.
I’m unsure of the compatibility but it seems to have eye mounts under the feed neck can accommodate the eyes.

Quote:
Well again, I'd recommend possibly sourcing a different base Spyder to start with (in order to have a better feedneck and some type of vertical adapter), though I'm curious which version of the Victor you have. Kingman has an annoying habit of re-using model names after 3-4 years and sometimes the different versions of the same "type" of Spyder can be very different.
Ah yes kingman and their model names. It is a true victor 1 in green, Although I think the previous owner replaced the feedneck with a metal one since the original may have came with a composite one.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:20 PM #4
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullerrice View Post
I’m unsure of the compatibility but it seems to have eye mounts under the feed neck can accommodate the eyes.
Very unlikely. What you're probably seeing is the ball detent cover.

As far as I know the only Spyder markers that came from the factory with their bodies milled for anti-chop eyes were the ones shipped with eyes at the factory (The current Electra, MR3, the VS/RS series, etc.)

Most people used Intimidator eye covers and used a printed template to drill for the eyes: http://shunutcreations.com/pdf/eye-template.pdf

https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4096777
Old 07-14-2014, 12:24 PM #5
mullerrice

Ah thanks, but I still need to get the e-trigger in the first place.

Unfortunatly none of the links you sent me sell the e-triggers or have them in stock.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:55 PM #6
mullerrice

I've just been offered this:

Its syndicate misfit spyder clone and the e-trigger is very similar to the spyders.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:06 PM #7
The Inflicted
.detcilfnI ehT

Couldn't tell you a thing about possible compatibility other than that it might be compatible with a Spyder.

Last edited by The Inflicted : 07-14-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 02:19 PM #8
mullerrice

I think i'm going to go for it, I've asked for some more photos and dimensions to make sure, but so far so good. My quest to find anything in the UK is diminishing.