Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-14-2013, 11:38 PM #1
Snausage

Mag Fed Loadout at a Big Game

This thought just occurred to me. What's the best kind of loadout if you're using a mag-fed marker in a big game scenario?

For example, I own a Spyder Hammer 7 with 7 mags in total. That's a total of only 63rds. Also, I normally use a 13/3000 tank, which may not get me very far.

Would you strap a few 50rd pods to your waist to reload?

I'm just curious about what people do in these situations.
Snausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-15-2013, 08:58 AM #2
BatmanLiera

BatmanLiera supports DLX Technology
BatmanLiera supports Shocker RSX
BatmanLiera supports Ninja Paintball
Very good question. While I am berly getting into magfed I think magfed I will only practice in open games. I don't think I will do big games with my tips I think I will run my main set up
I have been to one big game and it was cpx sports. Windy city classic. And I think I wasted 2 cases and I'm not that guy that sits in the back and "provides cover fire" I am in the fronline marking people!! Hitting slapsticks. Screaming back to "push up!!!". So I get killed a lot!! So I have to be going back to respawn n stuff.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:12 PM #3
splatthetick

I roll w/twin T-8's (4) extendo's (4) 7rd and a pocketful of (10) rd tubes and 12's in my pocket. 100 + rollout for Big Games! Good fun! Good luck!
splatthetick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:25 AM #4
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
2nwyka supports Ninja Paintball
I play modified stock class, which is a little like magfed but with a gravity-feed 10-round tube and usually I carry 15-20 tubes, or 150-200 rounds. The tank is a Ninja 62/30, so it'll give me a good 1000+ shots between refills. If I feel like I need more paint, I can carry a pod or two on my vest, but it's kinda hard to be reloading magazines or 10-round tubes on the field and under fire. Can be done, but it really isn't too much fun.
If you need more ammo, I'd carry a pod and just get really good at loading your mags quickly and under fire.
Noah

AutoCocker Builder
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:31 AM #5
sambob117
aka Salmon

sambob117 owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
sambob117 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
sambob117 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
sambob117 supports Ninja Paintball
I've watched the VICE crew play a few big games on youtube and they all run magfed. Some of them just load up on extra mags or 10 rnd tubes if they run pistols/pump, the guys with mag fed rifles tend to run remote line and carry a pod they can refill mags from.

I use a 9oz co2 bottle on my hammer 7 so I get a lot more shots than if I used my 13/3000, for extra paint I can carry about a dozen 10 rnd tubes and a couple 50's on top of my 7 mags.
sambob117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:31 PM #6
Snausage

Yeah, it was from seeing VICE Rizla's videos at that Asylum scenario that got me thinking about this. I wish there were places like that in my area. There's so little choice for fields around Vancouver.

I commonly play with an Axe and pods, but I'd like to try a scenario with the Hammer 7, it's just such a ****in' fun marker to play with. I'm going to have to look toward the next event in my area and plan out my kit for the Hammer 7. Presently I use a Condor chest rig (see below) which holds 6 magazines. I could also carry my TiPX, which I have a few additional mags for as well. I can squeeze a couple of those on the little elastic loops on the far left and right sides of the chest rig.

Then it's just a matter of bringing some additional paint in tubes or small pods, and probably putting a larger tank on the marker. CO2 isn't really an option in my area, I think most fields have abandoned it altogether.

Thanks for the input, guys. Keep it coming. It seems like a topic that there isn't much discussion about.
Snausage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:40 PM #7
dblj44
Delta Paintball Team

dblj44 supports DLX Technology
That's my chest rig. Room for 6 mags plus one on the gun.

:Sponsors:
GOG Paintball | DLX Paintball | Scenario Superstore
Fogtech | Delta Paintball Productions
"Should I try a little spit? That usually helps things out with my girlfriend but we are talking paintball here so I'm not to sure." -Caderade
dblj44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:07 PM #8
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 supports Ninja Paintball
ElJefe13 supports Empire
I carry ten round tubes to reload mags with. I'd suggest that, and a shotgun shell belt (holds ~20 tubes, maybe $20) to hold the tubes. Gives you an extra 200 shots.
ElJefe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:40 AM #9
stemmy

basically what i do is have a 68/45 on my back and have that feed into the fill nipple on my 13/3000. For paint i carry six mags and two 140 round pods, all with modified lids to be a speed loader for milsig mags. then in one of my vest pouches i carry an electric screwdriver with a modded tip to wind up the mags super quick.
stemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:35 AM #10
Savage Mikey

I like that idea of using a modded electric screw driver to wind mags faster. I'd like to see something that can hold 18-20 paintballs in a tube or cylinder with a keeper tab under spring pressure so when you depress it the paintballs can funnel into the mag quickly. I have an idea for a design...ill have to think about it more.
Savage Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:17 PM #11
8WhiteBoy8
Paintball Sponge

8WhiteBoy8 is BST Trusted
8WhiteBoy8 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
8WhiteBoy8 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Since you have a MOLLE vest, you can get pouches that hold 3 mags side by side, and you can stack them for a 3 wide by 2 deep, relatively low-profile design.

You can also get single pouches that hold 2 stacked mags.

They're both part of the Rifleman's Kit the Army issues, so you can probably find them in surplus stores or online. Search for NSN 8465-01-525-0598 for the triple and NSN 8465-01-524-0606 for the doubles.

Granted, you'd have to buy more mags as well to make use of these added to your Condor rig.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:09 PM #12
stemmy

i already have six mags but in a scenario youll still run through that, hence the pods. i actually have 2, 3 wide mag pouches side by side, making it a 6 wide essentially. the zipper runs right through the middle of them.
stemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:31 PM #13
ECHO CHARLIE
F = FRUIT LOOP

ECHO CHARLIE has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I just got my 468 a few weeks ago, so I'm working into it. But right now I have the 468 with a 17ci tank inside the stock, and I'll carry out onto the field six 20 round mags on my vest and a twenty in my gun. But, I have yet to play a big game with it yet but I can tell I'd use them up fairly quick so I'd either get more pouches or put the rest of my mags in my camelbak and swap them out when there is a break in the fighting.
  • Tippmann
  • ETC.
Message me if you want to sell!!!!
ECHO CHARLIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:22 PM #14
Baccummba

In my experience I've had the best results in big games with either a pump gun with a 50rd hopper or a semi and mags. Having that quick follow up shot tends to mean the difference between getting that elimination or missing your shot. Not trying to knock pump play in big games this is all based off opinion and experience

For air options, I'd try to carry more air than you'd typically need. So maybe a peanut tank or MAYBE a 68/45. I say that because if you run out of paint someone will usually lend you some but if you run out of air, you're gonna have to take walk. I'd recommend looking into stocks and remote line options. The pro connect on/offs are the best IMO.

With mags and tubes, carry as much as you can comfortably. If you're iffy about a setup, drop a pouch, and try again.
For mags carry options check molle vests that offer lots a room to strap stuff to it. With the rig you posted earlier, you're limited to just the abdominal area for add ons where the dye alpha vest or the army rifleman vest you have the chest to utilize. For pouches take a mag or two to a surplus store and check out what they have. Some AR and glock .45 pouches fit work well with pb mags. They may be a little more expensive but if more times than most it'll last you.
Pbmafia has a nice stock class drop leg that I like to carry tubes to reload mag with. I tend to carry enough tubes to reload my mags at least once. Maybe consolidate those tubes to a pod or two to save space. Now granted reloading mags from a pod can be tough to do in a firefight but that'll just fall onto you being sure you're loading in between fights.

After its all said and done you have the load out you can move in it comes down to practice, practice, practice. And that means reloading one handed
Baccummba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:25 PM #15
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
2nwyka supports Ninja Paintball
UPDATE:
I have reloaded my tubes under fire. When there's a lull, or you're pinned down and out of danger, just whip a magazine out, pull a pod, and reload her. It isn't that bad. Just make sure your gun is still ready to rip if the fit starts to hit the shan. It saved my butt several times keeping the gun ready. I was prone with my pump, just waiting for the fire to die down while the enemy sat and sprayed. I reloaded a tube or two, not really thinking of much, when these three enemies come right past me on the left side in dense woods. My teammates didn't see them as they were all in their bunkers as well, so I naturally shouted and started shooting. All hell broke loose, but I think we won because I didn't hear shooting and I was still alive.
Moral: be ready to fight always.
Noah

AutoCocker Builder
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:30 PM #16
NkdMangina

has been a member for 10 years
NkdMangina plays in the PSP
NkdMangina is playing at Living Legends VI
I always figure even when playing pump/mech that if I bring out 2-3x as many paintballs as the enemy has for players, that should be enough of a challenge. Darn missed shots, bounces, double taps, etc.

But at a big game.. you've gotta have plenty of paint so I strap up as much as I can and don't plan on going back unless I have to.
NkdMangina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:36 AM #17
Shocker_Monkey
KCPP

Shocker_Monkey is a Supporting Member
Shocker_Monkey supports Ninja Paintball
Still working on my full kit, but I plan on carrying 6+1 mags running a remote to my gun and one or two 50round pods to fill up when at the respawn station.

=======WISCONSIN NAVARONE=======
Shocker_Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:34 AM #18
Nahib_Stilgar

I plan on carrying 5 mags (4+1) I will have to refill air after 5 mags anyway.

If I find a second 13/3000 and a comfortable way to carry it then I might bring an extra 10 tubes to reload mags with.

Currently running fazmags on a WTF puller vest.
Nahib_Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:26 PM #19
xXNetCodeXx

I run a tgr2 and a bt tm15 with 8 18rnd mags and 2 10rnd mags I use my thigh pod rig I got. From rap 4 modified the pod pouches so they will hold the mags or pods snuggly but also easy enough to pull either from the pouches. This set up if I had the mags for it I could carry up to 16 mags or 8 pods and all the weight is down on my hips/upper legs making it feel as though im carrying nothing. This also frees up my shoulders and back for a water bladder pack or camel backpack so I can carry other things I may need on the fiels like squeegee/swab. Extra air tanks or even more pods/mags in a vest rig. I run my tgr2 odd my 68/4000 tank direct connect for the moment but intend to get a inline stock and run remote for both my markers for D-Day allowing me the versitility to switch depending on my unites mission for the day.
xXNetCodeXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:05 AM #20
SharptheJack
Hit more when out.

SharptheJack has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I run a TiPX and 4 zetamags, plus 1 trufeed for chrono. That's 87 rounds loaded, and a 100 round pod to reload. Right now I'm using a 13/3000 tank, but I'm considering upgrading to a 68/4000, since I'm not running air in stock yet. Using a phantom airsoft bandolier to mount it all, and it's worked pretty well so far.
SharptheJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:30 PM #21
Ltr88

Ltr88 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Stemmy do you have a high output reg on your tank on your back. I had wanted to do that too run a 13/3000 until it was out and if I needed more then I was gonna keep a 48/3000 on my back but on the air systems threads I was told I had to change the regulator to fill the 13/3000
Ltr88 is offline   Reply With Quote