Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-23-2012, 11:07 AM #1
swanseakd17

Crossfire Carbon Tank

I just bought a crossfire carbon tank from this kid at school for $50 its five years old but it looks brand new and he said hes used it 3 times at the most. should i just go get a hydro test and fill it or buy a brand new one? how long do they actually last ? the date on the sticker says " 09/07"
swanseakd17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2012, 11:08 AM #2
swanseakd17

its a 68/4500 btw
Old 04-23-2012, 11:18 AM #3
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

has been a member for 10 years
the hydro test will be due by 9/2012 and yes you will have to get it done. otherwise the fields wont fill it. hydro test will be about $30 after shipping and if its in as good of shape as you say then there should be no reason it wont pass.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:21 AM #4
swanseakd17

i have to have it tested every five year? so that means i can still use it for another 5 months? on the label its has a big C with an little L inside and says 09/07
Old 04-23-2012, 11:24 AM #5
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
2nwyka supports Ninja Paintball
Well, if it says 09/07, that means that it's good until September of this year. After that, you need to have it re-hydroed. Typically, tanks need to be re-hydroed every five years, although there are tanks that don't ever need to be hydroed (the 2" rule) and some tanks need to hydroed every 3 years. 68/45s need to be hydroed every five, so you'll need to get it tested after September. Hope that answered your kvestion!
Noah

AutoCocker Builder
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:26 AM #6
swanseakd17

HEY THANKS MAN i can finally start paintballing now. im new to the sport and just got an ego 07 with a embipre b reloader and got this tank today
but really thanks!
Old 04-23-2012, 11:34 AM #7
2nwyka
A Lover and a Poet

2nwyka posts videos on PbNation
2nwyka has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
2nwyka supports Ninja Paintball
No problem!
Have fun, practice a lot, and be aggressive. Best advice I can give.
Noah

AutoCocker Builder
2nwyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:55 PM #8
Paintman15
Justin

Paintman15 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Paintman15 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
It may cost less than that to rehydro if your local field or store does it. It's $18.50 at my field. And welcome to the sport!
Paintman15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:00 PM #9
VeggiePowered

A lot of people say try to go straight to the source of the hydro-testing if possible. Some people say they call their local fire station to see where they get their tanks hydro tested, or look on CL.

Try to avoid the online hyrdo, they over-charge. you should not be paying more than $30.
VeggiePowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:25 PM #10
JC001
CrownPB

JC001 plays in the PSP
JC001 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
JC001 posts videos on PbNation
If you can pressurize it and play it would pass hydro (IE it is safe..). Crossfire tanks are great and their re hydro service has a quick turn-around time. You can find it cheaper but they can have it back to you in a week!
JC001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:36 AM #11
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

^^exactly. yes there may be places that can do it for cheaper but its probably only a $10 difference after shipping. tanks arent the cheapest things to ship.

and from what ive heard/seen/read, crossfire has one of the fastest and hassle free turnaround times. its worth checking to see if your local shop can do it though, most usually just send them somewhere to get tested but there are some that can do it in-house.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:50 PM #12
azhector

azhector is playing at Living Legends VI
azhector owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
azhector has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
azhector is a top reviewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nwyka View Post
Well, if it says 09/07, that means that it's good until September of this year. After that, you need to have it re-hydroed. Typically, tanks need to be re-hydroed every five years, although there are tanks that don't ever need to be hydroed (the 2" rule) and some tanks need to hydroed every 3 years. 68/45s need to be hydroed every five, so you'll need to get it tested after September. Hope that answered your kvestion!
Noah

i would suggest sending it to ninja or CF, crossfire will do a free reg-swap and their newer ones dont have that big gauge and a bit nicer; but if you go with ninja then you'll have the best reg line (imo) to have; the adjustable pressure is a feature most companies dont have and they are the most consistent from what ive seen. you may spend an extra 10 bucks for the ninja reg, but its a good investment
Old 04-24-2012, 04:55 PM #13
eforce
Factory PB

eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC001 View Post
If you can pressurize it and play it would pass hydro (IE it is safe..).
That's not entirely true. Part of the testing process is to measure how much the tank expands when filled, which is representative of its structural integrity. I've seen tanks with deep gouges in the carbon fiber work on the field and obviously be destined to fail hydro testing.
eforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:54 PM #14
azhector

Quote:
Originally Posted by eforce View Post
That's not entirely true. Part of the testing process is to measure how much the tank expands when filled, which is representative of its structural integrity. I've seen tanks with deep gouges in the carbon fiber work on the field and obviously be destined to fail hydro testing.

the tank is something you should never mess with as far as making sure its 100% safe; its1000 times more dangerous then a gun shooting 30bps at 500fps
Old 04-26-2012, 02:36 PM #15
DanR
Stock Luxe 1.0

DanR plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
DanR owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
DanR owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
DanR is an NCPA player
DanR supports DLX Technology
not if that markers shooting ball bearings

but your right tank failures are rare but rarely not Catastrophic

GL
Old 04-26-2012, 03:08 PM #16
Hollywood_FTP
I <3 (.Y.)

Hollywood_FTP is playing at Living Legends VII
Hollywood_FTP owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Hollywood_FTP supports Team VICIOUS
Hollywood_FTP has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Hollywood_FTP supports DLX Technology
I have owned Crossfire tanks for years and I can say, without a doubt, that they have one of the best hydro turnarounds in the business! If you can't find a local place to have it done, send it to them! They know their tanks well and you are sure to get a safe tank back. Always better to be safe than sorry!

Welcome to the sport! Practice hard and often, listen to the tips of the experienced players, play fair, and above all, have fun!
Old 04-27-2012, 10:57 AM #17
PurpleDirt
Repurchased Thine Soul

You shouldn't have problems with a crossy tank.

They're of the thickest and toughest tanks out there. From what I remember, I think Crossfire actually designs and builds their own tanks unlike most brands.

Anywho, they're tough as **** and should have no problems passing hydro for at least the first 3 times (and then that's kind of the legal limit anyways).

Oh yeah, firestations (local) should be able to do hydro testing on the tank for as little as free. Just call them up and talk to someone about it fro the firestation near you.

Please PM Yelosno if you would like to begin a conversation with me.
PurpleDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:22 AM #18
Headshotted
Dear god, the rabbits!

Headshotted has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
my only issue with xfire is they tend to be a little on the heavy side, otherwise they are one of my favorite manufactures. I plan on picking up a new xfire reg when my other tank goes out.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:28 PM #19
azhector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshotted View Post
my only issue with xfire is they tend to be a little on the heavy side, otherwise they are one of my favorite manufactures. I plan on picking up a new xfire reg when my other tank goes out.
they are pretty light except for the reg, i think they are 3rd lightest but i forget exactly the order is so chances are thats wrong. their reg is heavy though (in comparison to others)
Old 04-27-2012, 06:44 PM #20
Coenen
K-K-k-k-YEAH!

Coenen plays in the MiLP
Coenen owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Coenen supports Team VICIOUS
Coenen plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanseakd17 View Post
I just bought a crossfire carbon tank from this kid at school for $50 its five years old but it looks brand new and he said hes used it 3 times at the most. should i just go get a hydro test and fill it or buy a brand new one? how long do they actually last ? the date on the sticker says " 09/07"
Assuming you are reading the proper part of the label that means that the tank was "born" in September of 2007. It will require Hydro testing 5 years after that date, so September of this year. If memory serves, tanks have a 15 year service life, so this particular tank will be usable until 2022.

Crossfire is an excellent brand. I've been using one of their high-output fixed pressure regs for almost ten years at this point with practically zero issues. It has needed a couple of fill nipple replacements, and the occasional o-ring on the bonnet, and that has been it, for 10 years. They do make their tanks in house, from what I've read they produce and label tanks for other companies as well, Ninja for example.

They may not be the fanciest or "coolest" thing going right now, but they've been producing a top notch line of air systems for a long time.
BLACK '07+ Planet Eclipse OOPS
Coenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:16 PM #21
azhector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coenen View Post
Assuming you are reading the proper part of the label that means that the tank was "born" in September of 2007. It will require Hydro testing 5 years after that date, so September of this year. If memory serves, tanks have a 15 year service life, so this particular tank will be usable until 2022.
i believe its 15 years max. so you get the first 5 guaranteed, the next 5 is if you have some common sense, but the final 5 depends how well it was cared for. now 90% of tanks will prbly still pass the hydro for years 10-15, but its still the chance you didnt care for it well enough and it isnt deemed safe by the hydro test. but if you go for another hydro after 15 years then i believe it fails automatically, this is all for carbon fiber tanks though; i think steelies are rated for 30 years tops (i am not positive on this number though)