Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-06-2009, 01:56 AM #22
paintballashotcalla

Sand Stuck in my paintball gun!

OK...so let's say I know all there is to know about paintball without really playing. As a wife who attended this event with her husband and two kids, I pictured the event to be a lot like last time in HB! When something is working, why change it? All USPL needed to do was remember what happened then and just duplicate it. Pushing a stroller on the sand was not pleasurable. Vendors were tightly squeezed together which made it impossible to shop and look around. Some of our favorite vendors seemed to have very limited space so were unable to bring as much merchandise. One of my son's favorite thing to do is stand right behind the netting and get splattered by excess paint while the games are being played. So what was up with the wire fence? All in all, we were disappointed. Put the vendors back above the beach like before. Let us get splattered!!
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2009, 08:33 AM #23
TargetIndy
Electrifying

Annual Supporting Member
TargetIndy is an Administrator
TargetIndy is a founding member
TargetIndy supports Bob Gurnsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballashotcalla View Post
One of my son's favorite thing to do is stand right behind the netting and get splattered by excess paint while the games are being played. So what was up with the wire fence? All in all, we were disappointed. Put the vendors back above the beach like before. Let us get splattered!!
Insurance regulations and ASTM standards mandate that spectators must be kept a minimum of 5 feet away from the netting. That was probably the reason for the wire fence.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:55 AM #24
SoCal Shooter

Not a bad way to spend the day...

I thought the vendor “runway” was set up a bit strange. It didn’t seem to have a rhyme or reason to the layout and being on the sand made it dusty and crowded. I wonder how some of those trailers are going to get off the beach; it looked like they were buried up to their axels…

Watching the games was fun but there wasn’t much room for people who were NOT in the grandstands although we watched some good pump action on the field to the right of the grandstands.

Needless to say, the “eye candy” was in typical HB form…gotta love bikinis

All in all I thought it was a pretty good event. There were some great deals to be had and it was fun!

See you there next year!
Old 04-06-2009, 11:48 AM #25
Garet Whipple

lack of vendors.
bad venor layout.

and no dlx booth. i really needed to get my luxe fixed :/
Old 04-06-2009, 11:55 AM #26
thejudgeman66
Squidito en el Stickito

has been a member for 10 years
dlx was there, by the south field, or at least it looked like dlx

As a spectator, it wasnt great. It was small, so too few vendors and not enough walkway.

As a player, of course the fact that they started pump an hour and a half late was dumb, but once we got going it was really organized and reffing was pretty good most of the time and the fields were nice.

So up the size of the event, make it more spectator friendly, and Ill definitely be back next year
Old 04-06-2009, 12:20 PM #27
LoVeMyPuMp

LoVeMyPuMp plays in the PSP
LoVeMyPuMp plays in the APPA D5 division
LoVeMyPuMp is attending Decay of Nations VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejudgeman66 View Post

As a spectator, it wasnt great. It was small, so too few vendors and not enough walkway.

As a player, of course the fact that they started pump an hour and a half late was dumb, but once we got going it was really organized and reffing was pretty good most of the time and the fields were nice.

So up the size of the event, make it more spectator friendly, and Ill definitely be back next year
Completely agree with ^^^^

As a player, it was a good event. A couple things here and there like the lack of plywood walkways at the back pits. The pit location was great for a couple reasons. But carrying gear bags, and coolers became a hassle.
Also getting paint was a slow process. I was in line for 25 minutes waiting, with 2 customers in front of me. They each bought one case. The reffing was decent, but not spectacular. And I think the worst thing was the restrooms. Our team tries to stay hydrated, but when it came time to use the restroom it was a 30 minute process just to get there and back.

As a spectator, it needs work. The vendors need to be back up above the beach. The 4 foot wide walkway wasn't cutting it. My wife was having a rough time navigating our stroller around people with gearbags, coolers, and other strollers. She normally goes into vendors while we play and buys me gear and other stuff I need, but refused to take our stroller into the sand this year.
More vendors. My two boys love going into the vendors to see all of the products. Luckily they didn't come this year, cause I hate to see them dissappointed. When my wife, who lacks the love for the sport says "wow this is it?" I know there's room for improvement. I also didn't like the fence around the netting, I know insurance requirements, but the kids do love getting the splatter from being up close.

All in all, my team had a great time. So in my eyes it was a success for the players. My wife and friends who showed up to support our team, said it was better last year. So if USPL makes a few small changes, it could be an excellent event for both the player and spectator.

Last edited by LoVeMyPuMp : 04-06-2009 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:30 PM #28
EvilAuthorityX
PUMPER_TYLER

even w/ out some of the big name companies, the vendor their pretty much covered anything you could possibly need.

walking in sand sucked so more hard ground would be nice

other than that everything was awesome the refs did an awesome job IMO, games were back to back w/ no down time

Old 04-06-2009, 12:30 PM #29
Samuel/Sarah

Samuel/Sarah owns a Planet Eclipse - Gtek 170r
Samuel/Sarah supports Team VICIOUS
Well Said
Old 04-06-2009, 12:50 PM #30
christoph562
lilnasty

^^ calm down?

As a player, it was ran pretty smoothly. I think the reffing needed to be more professional. We missed sunday on a bad call but hey its paintball. There needed to be more walkways for players to roll their gearbags on the sand and not have to drag them.
The vendors like previously stated, need to be either on the hard asphalt or better positioning in the sand.

Paint was hard to get and took too long.

No arm bands was a plus. Helped game times run smoother.

Block schedule was a brilliant idea. Many small things to correct but overall it was a smoothly ran event.

Kudos to Chuck!

RIP Splat Kids
Old 04-06-2009, 01:00 PM #31
crazy_hiiphop
No Remose

crazy_hiiphop posts videos on PbNation
Reffing was bad.
No arm bands?
Saw a few guys ate **** because of turf that was on the sand.
Needed more floor boards on the sand for the walk ways.
Walk ways were too small.
Lack of Vendors.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:05 PM #32
Phiyuck Yiu
Chino

Phiyuck Yiu plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
Phiyuck Yiu supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoph562 View Post
^^ calm down?

As a player, it was ran pretty smoothly. I think the reffing needed to be more professional. We missed sunday on a bad call but hey its paintball. There needed to be more walkways for players to roll their gearbags on the sand and not have to drag them.
The vendors like previously stated, need to be either on the hard asphalt or better positioning in the sand.

Paint was hard to get and took too long.

No arm bands was a plus. Helped game times run smoother.

Block schedule was a brilliant idea. Many small things to correct but overall it was a smoothly ran event.

Kudos to Chuck!
i agree.
also add portapotttys in the pits! =)
Old 04-06-2009, 02:11 PM #33
rdny
Rodney Squires

rdny is a Supporting Member
rdny is a Professional paintball player
rdny donated to help Peyton Trent
I will defend the league on the vendor issue.
for those that dont know most major companies in the industry boycotted the event. they want one league. the fact is many teams do not enjoy nor can afford the other league format. It showed. Sure there was not as many teams as years before, but for them to get this many with the short amount of time they had to pull it off was amazing.

PB34 i dont know how you think you funded the pros since non of them got anything. the team that won recieved only medals. the 4 place div3 team got more then Arsenal, Dynasty, Infamous and Blast combined.

If a manufacture was not there that you wanted to see you should complain dirctly to them. They should be in the product selling business not league business.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:26 PM #34
b1ubb3r

Reffing is never going to be perfect, but still could use some work or more refs would be helpful. There should be morning reffs and afternoon refs because after a couple of hours they just get lazy. There also shouldve been one ref behind the starting gate because there were teams coaching their back center guy.

Overall I think it was a good event as a player, but as a spectator it wouldnt have been worth my time to go or pay to watch.

The people complaining about the vendors, did you go to PSP Phoenix? It was just as bad, if not worse.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:10 PM #35
jtmicnugget32

jtmicnugget32 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
2 ft wide boards for walking with 1000 people/bikes at the same time

Fence like 10 ft away from the field

Booths on sand

Tourny on the beach

everything else was horable..
need plenty of things to work on..

i walked it for 10 min then just left to the water..
wasnt worth my time. just glad it was at least near
the beach and i like right down the street.
or i would have been furious..
Old 04-06-2009, 03:32 PM #36
texaspaintballplpaye

texaspaintballplpaye is a Supporting Member
texaspaintballplpaye is a Paintball photographer
I heard a lot of players complaining about the grand stands. Maybe add some smaller benches on the other side for the players?

I thought the vendor layout was kind of cramped. Maybe been easier to make just one giant row. Although I'm sure there are reasons on why it was made like it was.

Other than that I enjoyed it a lot.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:37 PM #37
ericthepaintballguy

ericthepaintballguy plays in the APPA D5 division
Gosh there are a bunch of punk complainers out there! We were lucky to have a HB tournament this year!

Unhappy about pushing strollers?? Are you serious? Carry your kid then, sheesh!!

Gripping about the walkway?? Come on! At least they had one!! It's the freaking beach people! Kick off your shoes and enjoy the sand!

Complaining about the fence around the fields?? I felt much safer as a player, not worrying about random people close enough to jack my paintball gear.

PS34...YOU chose to join this tournament!!! YOU definitely should of stayed 3000miles away!

I enjoyed the vendors on the sand, I didn't have to walk so far from the players area to check them out. Layout could be better, but it was not horrible at all.

Having separate refs for AM and PM shifts is a great suggestion! I know how tiring it could be to be on your feet all day being yelled at and shot up by pballers.

Dye, JT, Smartparts, Empire, Angel, and whoever else that was not there. After reading Rodney's post...YOU let your consumers down big time! I know I had $$$ to spend on your products and you FAILED us!
Old 04-06-2009, 03:46 PM #38
FatalKitty
I has the awesome

FatalKitty is a Paintball photographer
FatalKitty donated to help Peyton Trent
FatalKitty helped look for balloons
Pro-Player interaction with Fans was great, and fun, they really were out there talking with people and signing autographs and making the event great. Met Aaron Tholey on Mutiny (which is now my new fav team) and those guys were all hella cool - got some autographs and since they all had sexy sunglasses I got them to sign my Armanis
D1 was intense, very fun to watch, some of my favorite players and teams were in that division and competition was amazing.
Grandstand prices: WELL worth it. I have paid 5x as much to spend 2 hours watching motorcycles run around in circles... $15 for two days of my favorite sport while listening to Nicky, Todd, and Chuck and their shenanigens was awesome. Tons of SWAG, tons of hotties, tons of people.
Plenty of great vendors offering better than normal pricing on thousands of items. Sand didn't bother me at all.... but then again I came prepared, I wasn't wearing stilletto heels like some of the people in this thead I guess.
HK girls pissed me off tho'... I was taking photos of all the vendor booths and they acted like I was trying to take pics of them... no thanks - Spyder girls were much hotter... and because of that I didn't buy any of the stuff I planned on getting from that booth. get over yourselvs. (same with the rest of HK, who acted like complete dicks to my friends and team mates in the staging area) I used to be a fan, no more tho'
The event was crowded with fans, games were exciting, weather was beautiful... I wouldn't ask for anything more. Great first event USPL, I will be back for more - count on it.

Last edited by FatalKitty : 04-06-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:53 PM #39
surfbum
west coast = best coast

surfbum helped look for balloons
surfbum is an NCPA player
surfbum plays in the APPA D4 division
overall i thought it was a fun event, my team placed 2nd in the D3 5-man
but i would agree with people saying it was much better for players than spectators.

the pits were great, very nice to have them right next to the field. thank god they at least had turf laid out for the table areas. could have been more tables, but it worked out alright. bathrooms were really far away, but i'm sure that had something to do with the city not wanting porta-potties on the beach

having the vendor area in the sand was not the best, especially with such a small walkway and charging fans $10 is pretty steep.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:55 PM #40
o.c.baller
Be Relentless

it was ok, didnt bthink it was as dynamic as the past NPPL events. Not many vendors showed up and it seemed a bit bland because of it.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:19 PM #41
bigbthebenji
Purveyor of Paintball

plays in the NXL
bigbthebenji has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
bigbthebenji is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
bigbthebenji is Legendary
bigbthebenji is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoph562 View Post
^^ calm down?

We missed sunday on a bad call but hey its paintball.
!
You missed sunday because you sent the Bijon to the carwash instead of the snake and wanted to sit Tanner for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o.c.baller View Post
it was ok, didnt bthink it was as dynamic as the past NPPL events. Not many vendors showed up and it seemed a bit bland because of it.
I liked this event. Atleast bobby was there!
Old 04-06-2009, 04:28 PM #42
ApolloAnton
gettin slizzard

ApolloAnton donated to help Peyton Trent
ApolloAnton owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
ApolloAnton supports Team VICIOUS
ApolloAnton is for the Gunfight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garet Whipple View Post
and no dlx booth. i really needed to get my luxe fixed :/
DLX was there. Darryl was at the Facefull booth. I got a feathertouch installed, my board flashed to 1.1.6, and ordered and payed for a case and an ASA for my Luxe.