xmodfreak2011
VMI 2015

xmodfreak2011 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
xmodfreak2011 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
xmodfreak2011 is an NCPA player
xmodfreak2011 plays in the APPA D5 division
Drills!

Hello everyone!

I just became the speedball captain of my college team, and I'm trying to get things for next semester set up before the chaos of the school year begins. It'll basically be the first semester of it ever. (It technically got started last semester, but this semester we're gonna start practicing regularly and I have several tournies lined up for us to play in...) This afternoon, I threw a quick list together of a few of my ideas for drills the team can do at practice or on their own, to make practices during the year go faster as we need to be very efficient with the time we have. I figured I'd post the list up here to tap into other people's creativity and experience and maybe help out some of the newer players/teams.

If you have any good drills that have helped you and your team out or that you've seen work well, please share them! Also, feel free to make corrections to names, criticize them if you've seen something like them fail in real life, or whatever else you feel is appropriate. I'll keep adding them to the list and maybe we could have a sticky quality list eventually.

Thanks guys!

Drills

Level 1 No Field Required: (Can be done anywhere)

Mirror Snapping
Players get in front of a mirror and snap into the mirror, seeing how far the stick out and adjusting their form accordingly. Helps build muscle memory.

Stationary Breakout
Players get in the breakout position and after go, go, go, snap to shooting positions, even moving to an imaginary bunker if needed. Helps build muscle memory for breakouts.

Suicides
Players don all playing gear and do suicides. Gets them used to being active in all their gear.

RnG Switch
Set up two cones 30 feet apart, player starts at one and runs to the other shooting (can also dry fire/walk) perpendicular to the direction being traveled. Once the player gets to the cone he slides in, switches hands and runs does the same thing back, and so on. Goal is smoothness in upper body and marker, not speed. Work up to speed.

Sliding and Switching
Set up a wide slalom of cones, players run to and slide around each cone, sprinting away and making sure the marker is always in the proper hand.

Level 1 Require Field: (simple fundamentals that require shooting)

RnG
Player runs and guns aiming for a cone behind a bunker

RnG Switch 2
Same as original, but with paint and cones to hit while running.

Snapping
Players get in mirrored bunkers and snap shoot. Every time one ball is shot, player must check back in to the bunker. Ensure players practice snap shooting a variety of bunkers – All players should be sufficient at all positions.

Bumping
Players pick a side (snake or dorito) and bump up after getting Gs. Alternatively, some of the players the bumper is trying to kill can just leave randomly to simulate a teammate killing them. Teaches aggression and the necessity of angles + flanking.

Breakout 1
Player gets set, snaps up at the signal and shoots one ball through his lane. Reset and restart. Builds muscle memory, saves paint.

Level 2 RF: (1 on 1 common game scenario drills practiced on a full field)

Breakout 2
Player gets set, snaps up at the signal and shoots one ball or a short rope to a cone in his lane. Move to home if shooting the rope. Reset and restart. Builds muscle memory.

Game Changer
Players start in their bunker, run at least a 1/3 of the field, and bunker a cone. You can throw a person in place of the cone to crank up the difficulty.

1v1 Breakout Corner
Players breakout, one stays home and trys to lane the other out, restart and switch roles as soon as running player gets to the corner. Can run two of these drills at a time.

1v1 Breakout Jousting
Both players run for mirrored bunkers (ex. Dorito back) while shooting each other.

Snake Battle
Each team starts out with a snake and snake back. They then gun fight. Goal is to get to the other side of the snake. Focus is communication and filling in. Players can also breakout to make it more realistic.

Level 3 RF: (2v3+, usually uneven scenarios)

2v3 Communication
Two players pick any bunkers of their choice, on their side of the field. The three breakout, without markers, and have to reach an objective such as getting pass the 50, getting to an important bunker for the layout, or bunkering one or both of the opponents. The two try to stop them. Focus is communication. Also helps build aggression and instinct.

Jousting
Players stand just inside the snake at opposite 35 yard lines without bunkers and proceed to snap shoot. First player to move loses. Builds accuracy and concentration under pressure.

Virginia Military Institute Paintball Club ACIC

Last edited by xmodfreak2011 : 06-14-2012 at 09:23 PM. Reason: updating list
xmodfreak2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2012, 12:19 AM #2
bumblB

has been a member for 10 years
bumblB plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
I have one to assist in communication, it requires 5 people. 2 people get assigned to team A and the other 3 are on team B. Team A both get guns and paint. They get to pick whatever bunkers they would like to start in, as long as it is logical for their position. Objective is to not allow team B to get to whatever designated bunker, like past the 50 or whatever bunker you feel is key for the layout. Rules for team B, they have NO guns. Since team A only has 2 guns, only two players from team B can be shot at at one time. This means the 3rd player should recognize they are free to move. I feel it assists with communication and the players keying up on knowing when and what they can do.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:26 AM #3
xmodfreak2011
VMI 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblB View Post
I have one to assist in communication, it requires 5 people. 2 people get assigned to team A and the other 3 are on team B. Team A both get guns and paint. They get to pick whatever bunkers they would like to start in, as long as it is logical for their position. Objective is to not allow team B to get to whatever designated bunker, like past the 50 or whatever bunker you feel is key for the layout. Rules for team B, they have NO guns. Since team A only has 2 guns, only two players from team B can be shot at at one time. This means the 3rd player should recognize they are free to move. I feel it assists with communication and the players keying up on knowing when and what they can do.
Good one. I added it. Can't believe I forgot it - I've actually done that one before.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:35 PM #4
snappshooter

Lvl 3 jousting two players both stand at different 35 next to snake and snap to shoot each other first to move losses, builds up accuracy under pressure and ability to endure hot situations
snappshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:24 PM #5
xmodfreak2011
VMI 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappshooter View Post
Lvl 3 jousting two players both stand at different 35 next to snake and snap to shoot each other first to move losses, builds up accuracy under pressure and ability to endure hot situations
Added it. Thanks.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:51 PM #6
karnevilpb

Some good information here thanks
karnevilpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:55 PM #7
Synyster
Fort Adobe Paintball

Only other one I could think of is team break outs. Set up cones/boxes of paint in the lanes of where the person will be shooting. And have people that aren't RnGunning in real game situations just practice running to their bunkers and sliding. If you have a team of 10 (or better yet, 14), have each group cycle out and keep it constantly moving. To conserve paint, one ball/dry fire.
Synyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:48 PM #8
Irish916
eThug

Irish916 plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synyster View Post

have people that aren't RnGunning in real game situations just practice running to their bunkers and sliding.
That's a terrible idea...

A drill should be practicing a situation or certain skill. Anything that does not is a waste of time.

Laning and running and gunning drills will help most.
Certain situations like 1v2 or 1v3 should be done as well as they are fairly common situations and both sides learn something whether it be closing games more effieciently or getting better at winning hard points.

That being said some of the drills in the early levels are completely up to experience and could be a total waste of time or are just plain misguided. Some ones that raise a flag in my head are suicides, bumping and game changer to name a few.

Suicides are ultimately a waste of time when more time on the field gets you used to being in gear and running on a treadmill does not take time from playing paintball.

Bumping and game changer completely miss the point of making a big move when you have the opportunity. More often than not you'll die if you just run down the field not knowing what's going on. There is a very big difference from being aggressive and making good choices and simply being stupid, but aggressive.

Every time you watch a video and see someone run down the field and skip 2 bunkers to blast an opposing player, keep in mind that player knew exactly where everyone was (it was probably only a guy or 2 left) and probably had support from his teammates shooting so he couldn't switch sides or something similar.

Essentially the player about to be shot has his options grealty reduced to the point where doing something like switching sides would mean death and his best bet is to trade out with the player who bunkers him or just hope the guy sucks and misses his shot.

Some ideas and hints:

Simply playing more and reviewing what happened after each point will help field awareness and knowing when you can make those big moves.
Playing recball will help you be aggressive if you keep your head on straight. Most recaballers don't have the skill to shoot you for making a sloppy/stupid move.
Getting your ***** beat because you don't know whats going on will improve communication very fast.

Last edited by Irish916 : 06-16-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Irish916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:32 PM #9
Synyster
Fort Adobe Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish916 View Post
That's a terrible idea...

A drill should be practicing a situation or certain skill. Anything that does not is a waste of time.

Laning and running and gunning drills will help most.
Certain situations like 1v2 or 1v3 should be done as well as they are fairly common situations and both sides learn something whether it be closing games more effieciently or getting better at winning hard points.

That being said some of the drills in the early levels are completely up to experience and could be a total waste of time or are just plain misguided. Some ones that raise a flag in my head are suicides, bumping and game changer to name a few.

Suicides are ultimately a waste of time when more time on the field gets you used to being in gear and running on a treadmill does not take time from playing paintball.

Bumping and game changer completely miss the point of making a big move when you have the opportunity. More often than not you'll die if you just run down the field not knowing what's going on. There is a very big difference from being aggressive and making good choices and simply being stupid, but aggressive.

Every time you watch a video and see someone run down the field and skip 2 bunkers to blast an opposing player, keep in mind that player knew exactly where everyone was (it was probably only a guy or 2 left) and probably had support from his teammates shooting so he couldn't switch sides or something similar.

Essentially the player about to be shot has his options grealty reduced to the point where doing something like switching sides would mean death and his best bet is to trade out with the player who bunkers him or just hope the guy sucks and misses his shot.

Some ideas and hints:

Simply playing more and reviewing what happened after each point will help field awareness and knowing when you can make those big moves.
Playing recball will help you be aggressive if you keep your head on straight. Most recaballers don't have the skill to shoot you for making a sloppy/stupid move.
Getting your ***** beat because you don't know whats going on will improve communication very fast.
You obviously read it wrong.

Team breakouts:

A person going to the snake of break, usually does not RnG to that snake. If they do, then practice it. If they don't, then practice the TEAM BREAKOUT by doing what you'd do in a real game.

It's not a waste of time.

Read more carefully next time, lmfao.
Synyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:39 PM #10
xmodfreak2011
VMI 2015

Quote:

Thanks for the input, but allow me to explain a few things I didn't post in the original post.

Being at a military school, we have zero time. And, we don't have a permanent field yet, so we have to get permission EVERY time we want to leave campus. Then when we do get to leave, our coach has to drive an hour over, we have to set up a field on an old baseball field and then tear it down when we're done - so we can only play ourselves for now. I've got to work with what I've got. I'll be happy if I end up with practice every week, and those would only be about 3 hours long...

Drills with gear and stuff like the suicides are in there because 80% of the time we get to practice, we have to use on campus... We also have a VERY green team. Only myself and the co-captain have any tournament experience and I've only been to two. I'm going to have to teach the vast majority of the team next year what speedball is...from the very beginning... There are some real fundamentals these people straight up suck at. So my goal is to maximize my time on and especially off the field.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:50 PM #11
Irish916
eThug

Irish916 plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synyster View Post
You obviously read it wrong.

Team breakouts:

A person going to the snake of break, usually does not RnG to that snake. If they do, then practice it. If they don't, then practice the TEAM BREAKOUT by doing what you'd do in a real game.

It's not a waste of time.

Read more carefully next time, lmfao.
I understood it perfectly. You can't be a good player and a one trick pony. Regardless of where you typically play on the field running and gunning is an essential skill. Keep laughing scrub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmodfreak2011 View Post
Thanks for the input, but allow me to explain a few things I didn't post in the original post.

Being at a military school, we have zero time. And, we don't have a permanent field yet, so we have to get permission EVERY time we want to leave campus. Then when we do get to leave, our coach has to drive an hour over, we have to set up a field on an old baseball field and then tear it down when we're done - so we can only play ourselves for now. I've got to work with what I've got. I'll be happy if I end up with practice every week, and those would only be about 3 hours long...

Drills with gear and stuff like the suicides are in there because 80% of the time we get to practice, we have to use on campus... We also have a VERY green team. Only myself and the co-captain have any tournament experience and I've only been to two. I'm going to have to teach the vast majority of the team next year what speedball is...from the very beginning... There are some real fundamentals these people straight up suck at. So my goal is to maximize my time on and especially off the field.
Understandable. Work with what you can do and if most of your players lack experience then some of the things you mentioned are more constructive.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:05 PM #12
SilverViper

SilverViper has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
I understood it perfectly. You can't be a good player and a one trick pony. Regardless of where you typically play on the field running and gunning is an essential skill. Keep laughing scrub.

Understandable. Work with what you can do and if most of your players lack experience then some of the things you mentioned are more constructive.
You don't have to be a jerk about it... I've seen a lot of people mess up getting into their bunkers. Your snake player probably isn't going to be doing much if he barrel sticks it or face plants into the ground. Going over proper entry is fine and shouldn't take long. Although once you get it down, you need to make sure you can do it with your gun.

Currently rocking a Macdev Droid

Old Feed back:
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1701604
SilverViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 12:54 PM #13
monkeyballer099639
monkeyballer

plays in the NXL
monkeyballer099639 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
monkeyballer099639 plays in the APPA D4 division
monkeyballer099639 supports DLX Technology
Lv 2. 2v 4or5

Have two guys in the corner bunkers. Their job is to lock down and defend. They need to communicate with each other to keep from getting run down. The other group is attacking. They have to work together to close out the game. Start the second group in any bunkers not past the 30 on their side. Dorito 1, Snake insert , back center, and center tower or can are good starting places. Give them 2 minutes to finish, then drop it down to 90 seconds, then one minute.

Evolution Sports
Zombie Unicorn Attack
monkeyballer099639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:28 AM #14
Fullmetaljeep
Colorado Allstars

wow, this thread has been very helpful. thanks to all that have contributed..
Fullmetaljeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:14 PM #15
OneShot2Kills

Good drills, Thanks!
Old 08-07-2012, 04:48 PM #16
drsanchez222

drsanchez222 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
drsanchez222 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
drsanchez222 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
drsanchez222 is attending Decay of Nations VI
Lots of great info here. Thanks.
drsanchez222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:45 PM #17
turnburglar
Mr. "iminitforthecheck"

turnburglar owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Teach them to roll a gun with their off hand. Hugely important.

Also my biggest gripe is with the mirrior drill.

They STILL will be snapping wrong, without proper coaching no matter how little they think they can see of themselves in the mirrior. If you cant figure out how to tilt a loader and not chicken wing an elbow in less than 5 minutes : GTFO. The snapping drill I DO like is when you snap instead of looking at yourself, try and pretend shoot a target. In my apartment ill use a small object across the room. This gets you into the practice of actually aiming at something in that brief second. Do this with your OFF HAND alot. Most new players cant point a marker with their off hand to save their life.

During practice never let them point a marker down. It will be up and down range at all times. ESPECIALLY while running, bumping or any other movement from one bunker to another.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:33 PM #18
adarand555

you tube the dynasty dysected videos there's some good tips in there . also nicky cuba and todd martinez have a few video's on youtube called pro school or something that are helpful . also a great drill to try is have 2 players gun fight with each other . but tell one of them that they cant tuck back into the bunker ever . do this drill from a decent distance so the "no hide " guy doesn't get croaked. have the " no hide" guy only be exposed as much as they would if they were snapping . if the other guy isn't hitting him when the player is never tucking back behind cover he needs to work on his snapping. if he is hitting him pretty often switch roles in the drill . then do it all over again using the players other or off hand. also do a similar drill with ur back guys . use 2 players at opposite ends of the field. both starting with there guns touching the box like the game was about to start . have one player run to the corner trying to edge- shoot the other player who just goes to the back center. the back center guy who isn't running should not tuck in at all just try practice his break shooting on the guy running to the corner. both these drills help build the confidence of the aggressive player the guy who is running and shooting or snapping by knowing that they are putting the paint right where it needs to be in both situations . also practice makes perfect so when ur doing intersquad scrimmages tell ur players they get 3 lives instead of one . tell ur boys to be honest. the guy playing the snake or fifty or whatever wont get any experience if he gets hits off the break trying to get to the snake or fifty or whatever every point or game . also he wont get any experience gunfighting from the snake or fifty or whatever if he gets shot the first person he tries to gun fight with. this will help players not be scared to move or try new things in practice. it ' ll also help get experience and build confidence. when ur team gets to the point where the games are starting to last longer tell them they only get 2 lives . one while trying to move up- off the break and one while gunfighting . good luck .

Last edited by adarand555 : 09-02-2012 at 09:45 PM.
adarand555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:09 PM #19
super_stanchy
the man with no plan

Annual Supporting Member
super_stanchy works for a Paintball manufacturer
super_stanchy plays in the PSP
super_stanchy supports Bob Gurnsey
super_stanchy plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblB View Post
ooh i like the 2v3 version!

we do a 1v5 version
team a has 1 back player w/ gun
team b has 3/4/5/6903476 players
goal is the same idea, we usually have to pin them (surround the shooters bunker) or tag the shooters bunker

we made a few rules... no point blank shooting if they are taggin your bunker
must play your bunker honestly if your the gun (we even add a gun on team b to just plink and keep the shooter honest)

we also do a communication, blind man drill
everybody pairs up
player 1 is caller
player 2 is blindfolded
player 1 stays at home, and has to walk player 2 down the field going through his bunker lane (corner, insert, 30, 50, 30 insert, corner, start station)

now have it be 5 blind guys, all trying to hear their callers voice through the chaos, makes them listen to their team, not the crowd and trust their teammates

if we have more than 10 guys (5/5) we will use the extras as bunker noise, they will run around, hitting bunkers with their hands, making the bunker sound like its getting shot and making the blind guys wait until the "shots" (the sound of them slapping the bunker) stops so they can bump
super_stanchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 07:42 AM #20
snicklfritz

snicklfritz owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
snicklfritz has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Lots of great drills! Will be putting these to use for practice this weekend. Great job
snicklfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:48 PM #21
t0ph3r89
DPF

t0ph3r89 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by super_stanchy View Post
we also do a communication, blind man drill
everybody pairs up
player 1 is caller
player 2 is blindfolded
player 1 stays at home, and has to walk player 2 down the field going through his bunker lane (corner, insert, 30, 50, 30 insert, corner, start station)

now have it be 5 blind guys, all trying to hear their callers voice through the chaos, makes them listen to their team, not the crowd and trust their teammates

if we have more than 10 guys (5/5) we will use the extras as bunker noise, they will run around, hitting bunkers with their hands, making the bunker sound like its getting shot and making the blind guys wait until the "shots" (the sound of them slapping the bunker) stops so they can bump
I like the man-down drills of any variation, but I'm not sure how I feel about this. Seems a little bit useless. You need to be able to distinguish your teammates' voices AND see at the same time, otherwise you're going to run into a lane only you could see (versus the ones your back player is telling you about). That is assuming you're using markers while performing the drill. The other problems are obviously safety, and needing to know the field layout by how many steps you're taking.

The idea of a drill working exclusively on audible communication is nice, but I don't think this would be very effective. Just my opinion, though.
t0ph3r89 is offline   Reply With Quote