Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-19-2014, 05:10 AM #1
thepiper

WCO Shaping Up To Be Small Event

This event looks like it could end up with only 1/2 the teams that the 1st 3 events had. I guess the outrageous air fares and travel expense to this area is keeping teams from playing the event. I understand PSP's logic of having events in all parts of the US when they schedule, but maybe they should take a look at the cost of the expenses before they decide on what location. It costs nearly $600 a ticket to fly into San Diego form the East coast, and that was $35 cheaper than LAX. I started looking at other air fares to west coast locations and found you could fly into Phoenix $150 cheaper than anywhere in Cali.

This event does not seem to be drawing many west coast teams to make up for the eastern teams that decided the expense was too much. Maybe PSP will get the hint from teams not playing this event and move it next season to a more cost friendly area. More that 3/4 of the teams playing PSP is from the east to central US. The Pro division having more west coast teams than any other division, and with the challengers added in now it only makes up about 1/4 of the pro brackets.

I personally think another Central or Mid-West location would be better than a West coast location being it would keep travel costs down for more than 75% of the teams that play. I know I am bias because I reside in the east, but it looks like from the low turn out that a lot more people may feel the same way.
thepiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-19-2014, 02:15 PM #2
monkeyballer099639
monkeyballer

plays in the NXL
monkeyballer099639 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
monkeyballer099639 plays in the APPA D4 division
monkeyballer099639 supports DLX Technology
There is another event taking place 2 weeks before the psp event that a lot of west coast teams are playing as well as playing psp. Just bad timing. There are a good amount of d4/3 teams that haven't registered yet.

Evolution Sports
Zombie Unicorn Attack
monkeyballer099639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 02:51 PM #3
d2paintballr
Nor*Cal

has been a member for 10 years
d2paintballr plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
Its expensive to fly in and out of cali. A vegas or pheonix event is the most ideal "west coast" event... and im from northern california.
d2paintballr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:40 PM #4
Hobbes The Tiger
Big Gulps, huh?

Hobbes The Tiger is a Moderator
Hobbes The Tiger is a Paintball photographer
Hobbes The Tiger has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyballer099639 View Post
There is another event taking place 2 weeks before the psp event that a lot of west coast teams are playing as well as playing psp. Just bad timing. There are a good amount of d4/3 teams that haven't registered yet.
Just from what I've seen the WCPPL offer, I don't really see a reason for divisional CA teams to play in the PSP when the WCPPL is in their backyard.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:26 AM #5
GuyFromCompton

GuyFromCompton plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
GuyFromCompton plays in the APPA D2 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbes The Tiger View Post
Just from what I've seen the WCPPL offer, I don't really see a reason for divisional CA teams to play in the PSP when the WCPPL is in their backyard.
AGREED
GuyFromCompton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:28 AM #6
1dayteam120

1dayteam120 supports Cereal Killerz 2
1dayteam120 donated to help Peyton Trent
1dayteam120 supports Team VICIOUS
1dayteam120 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
You aren't the first person I have heard that from. Central event would pull the most.

An event in St. Louis would be awesome, don't think there is a field there that couldn't support it but central I would think would be the way to go
Old 07-21-2014, 08:03 AM #7
thepiper

Quote:
This is what I am seeing... no reason to even have a West coast event. It is too expensive for the teams that want to play PSP coming from the east. I believe another Central or Eastern location would be much better than anywhere on the west coast. It will draw the teams that do want to play PSP and make it much more affordable to travel. Right now you have a south central event in Texas, a north central event in Chicago, a north east event in Maryland, and a south east event in Florida, Then the West coast that only 1/2 the teams can afford to travel to and the west coast teams do not want to play. I would suggest one of these 5 states Nebraska, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, or Ohio. Hopefully PSP will see the West coast is becoming a bust for our series and make some changes for next year.
thepiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:58 AM #8
bonusballas
E.K.K

bonusballas plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
bonusballas supports our troops
bonusballas is an NCPA player
bonusballas is an NCPA National Champion
Just hard for someone who is used to paying $250 or less an event airfare to literally double the expense of airfare alone. Only way I could see a west coast event possible is the first event of the year. Phoenix is still my favorite PSP venue ever to this day.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:41 AM #9
Hobbes The Tiger
Big Gulps, huh?

Hobbes The Tiger is a Moderator
Hobbes The Tiger is a Paintball photographer
Hobbes The Tiger has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dayteam120 View Post
You aren't the first person I have heard that from. Central event would pull the most.

An event in St. Louis would be awesome, don't think there is a field there that couldn't support it but central I would think would be the way to go
I don't know if they'd do another central event since there's PSP Chicago. I know Denver has traditionally been a NPPL event in the past, but I wouldn't mind seeing the PSP go there.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:03 PM #10
HumboldtReign
where the grass is green

HumboldtReign plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
HumboldtReign plays in the APPA D3 division
All I hear are east coast teams whining about coming to CA. Have you considered it's just as hard for west coast teams to make tournaments in Maryland and Florida? Come on
HumboldtReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:20 PM #11
ArchAngelIon
I run a field now

ArchAngelIon plays in the PSP
ArchAngelIon helped look for balloons
ArchAngelIon posts videos on PbNation
ArchAngelIon is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Phoenix Open 2015 please.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:01 PM #12
joshlikespaintball
Hate.Kill.Destroy

joshlikespaintball plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
joshlikespaintball supports Cereal Killerz 2
joshlikespaintball plays in the APPA D3 division
joshlikespaintball supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtReign View Post
All I hear are east coast teams whining about coming to CA. Have you considered it's just as hard for west coast teams to make tournaments in Maryland and Florida? Come on
A million times this^
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchAngelIon View Post
Phoenix Open 2015 please.
and also yes
Chattanooga CEP #88
IG: Joshfreakingmerritt
joshlikespaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 06:53 PM #13
502 killa
THIRDEYE

502 killa plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
502 killa owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
502 killa owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepiper View Post
This is what I am seeing... no reason to even have a West coast event. It is too expensive for the teams that want to play PSP coming from the east. I believe another Central or Eastern location would be much better than anywhere on the west coast. It will draw the teams that do want to play PSP and make it much more affordable to travel. Right now you have a south central event in Texas, a north central event in Chicago, a north east event in Maryland, and a south east event in Florida, Then the West coast that only 1/2 the teams can afford to travel to and the west coast teams do not want to play. I would suggest one of these 5 states Nebraska, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, or Ohio. Hopefully PSP will see the West coast is becoming a bust for our series and make some changes for next year.
this is true we are loyal to the series and from kentucky while we enjoy coming out to cali we had 5 guys for this one that simply couldnt afford it with the events barely being spaced 1 1/2 months apart from each other. phoenix in the early part of the year is always a few hundred cheaper than flying to cali in the middle of the summer which is peak vacation season.
502 killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:55 PM #14
csheahan90

Either Denver or PHX would be awesome.
csheahan90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:50 PM #15
OR Baller, CST

OR Baller, CST owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
OR Baller, CST plays in the APPA D4 division
OR Baller, CST supports DLX Technology
OR Baller, CST supports DLX Technology
The California event should be moved to the first event of the year. I think it would draw more teams because its the start and that time of year is perfect here. Riverside in August is the worst time of year, not sure who thought that would be great.

Phoenix Rising
OR Baller, CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:03 AM #16
ajjeepguy

ajjeepguy plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
ajjeepguy owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ajjeepguy plays in the APPA D5 division
I mean for a event on the West Coast that is supposed to allow more of those teams to play, doesn't seem like they are going to be very well represented as far as the quantity of teams I see signed up for this event from that area. At least when the events are central or east they get a good amount of teams and the events are pretty full. So from the perspective of the PSP if I saw the turn out for this compared to all the other events of the season doesn't seem justified to have a event out in Cali if the West Coast isn't going to get more teams in the event. Plus agreed the time of year is just silly.
ajjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:58 AM #17
Bad71
.... from the ashes

plays in the NXL
Bad71 owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
Bad71 plays in the APPA D3 division
So many variables... there is no perfect solution. Cali in cooler months means Dallas is hotter months, and vice versa.
Starting the season on the west coast could potentially mean West Coast teams having to travel to the East Coast on 2 consecuative events (Not any cheaper to fly Right to Left as it is Left to Right)...
If you start on the Left Coast, does it make sense to go Left to Right all season??
Cali, Chicago, Dallas, MAO, Cup??
Cali, Dallas, Chicago, MAO, Cup??

MAo being later would probably eliminate the high chance of rain, but you're still gonna get extreme heat in Dallas.... any everybody knows Chicago weather is always a crap shoot, isnt it?
Point being... youre not going to solve everyone's problem by re-arranging the schedule/ dates, locales. What works for one region is a nightmare for teams from another.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:58 PM #18
1dayteam120

1dayteam120 supports Cereal Killerz 2
1dayteam120 donated to help Peyton Trent
1dayteam120 supports DLX Technology
I think 5 is too many events personally. Use to it seemed that most teams played the entire season but it seems more and more that teams are only playing the 2 closest events to them or playing the nearest one and cup. This to me proves the cost issue with the travel. Its one thing to take off time from work and take off on a Thursday and be back at work on a Monday but now it seems like you really need to be off Monday too just to accommodate everything. And for cup you are leaving on Wednesday so you are telling me the average person needs to take off 4 days from work just to play cup (assuming they have a mon- fri 9-5 job). To me this all factors into why people don't play the entire series. I think it should be geared more at trying to keep teams into the series instead of individual events. (cutting it to 4 events would help that I believe)

My point is if you take off working a real job to play the series assuming you leave the day before the event for travel(car or flying) you are looking at taking off 10-13 days depending on how your travel time goes. I don't know too many employers that every month and a half- 2 months enjoy you taking a Thursday, Friday and maybe event that Monday off.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:54 PM #19
pbstar1792

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtReign View Post
Orlando and Tampa are some of the cheapest airports to fly into in the country. Hotels/houses in the area are also a lot cheaper than anything southern California has. It'd be different if the California teams actually played the event in there own state.
pbstar1792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:19 PM #20
502 killa
THIRDEYE

502 killa plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
502 killa owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
502 killa owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
about the weather if u have an event in orange county the weather is about 80 degrees which is a far cry from the 95-100 its gonna be in riverside!!
502 killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:59 PM #21
Bad71
.... from the ashes

plays in the NXL
Bad71 owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
Bad71 plays in the APPA D3 division
Less events means obscured rankings. You cant crown true Champions on 4 events any more than you can on 5. If thats the case, why not just 3 a year? Or 2??
You start cutting events, and you're undermining the whole concept of a Series Championship. Any less than 5, and you begin to create "Paper Champions", because there arent enough individual competitions to pit all the best teams against each other, hence determining who the true Champion is.
It's hardly do-able with only 5 events.
paintball is a Sport. Just like other extreme sports, there is a high cost involved in working your way to the top. Travel being the biggest of those. You want to be the best, you have to put in the time, expense, and sacrifice. Thats what separates the best from the Rest.