Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 05-21-2006, 03:29 PM #1
mousek801
Blasé Polar Bear

has been a member for 10 years
newb networking question

whats the diff between a bridge, router, switch, hub, and crossover?
Advertisement
Old 05-21-2006, 04:57 PM #2
Halfbaked

Did you ask google first
Old 05-21-2006, 04:59 PM #3
mousek801
Blasé Polar Bear

all i got was like non comp meaning of the word
Old 05-21-2006, 05:00 PM #4
WTFisQFT

I'm sure google can help you on this one. If you don't understand a word www.dictionary.com . [/thread]
Old 05-21-2006, 05:28 PM #5
OneFourDeuce

Since im a IT major in Networking i can help you out with this.

a switch and a hub are basically the same, but yet are not.

A hub isn't smart. when you are using it on a network it will broadcast to all the computers on the network. (fine for home use since i am assuming you are using it for that)

a switch, (some people call Smart hubs) do the same thing, but instead of broadcasting to all the computers on the network, it does point to point, it will go directly to the other computer you want to share info with instead of broadcasting it to every computer ( a switch will reduce latency through-out a network, since each computer will have its own port speed) but since your only home use and not business (like a big business) you shouldn't need a switch.

a router is A device that forwards data packets along networks. A router is connected to at least two networks, commonly two LANs or WANs or a LAN and its ISP’s network. Routers are located at gateways, the places where two or more networks connect. Basically to lamest terms. its your gateway for internet, this is what you need for a network. basically just buy a cheap wireless router (even if you aren't using wireless you may in the future) hook up your cable modem,DSL modem to it, and connect your computers you are going to network. very simple. you shouldnt need a hub or a switch, just get a router.

and a crossover is a cable, or what i am thinking you are talking about, you use this cable for like to like devices, For example PC to PC. Hub to Hub.
but you are going to use straight thru cable, go to best buy or somewheres else and just ask for CAT-5 cable.

Hope this helps
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1754061
Old 05-22-2006, 12:01 PM #6
OneFourDeuce

You're welcome.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:56 PM #7
yellowsnowman

go to google, in your search box type in "define:xxxxx" and you'll get your meaning.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:21 PM #8
mousek801
Blasé Polar Bear

thank you i wanted to know what i should use for setting up my 2 file servers on their own network
Old 05-22-2006, 03:37 PM #9
Juztyn
Conebone69

Juztyn is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousek801
thank you i wanted to know what i should use for setting up my 2 file servers on their own network
So your going to stumble your way though setting up not one, but two fileservers, and you don't know what those things mean? Let alone how to even use the ****ing internet to find such things?

XBL = Khorrupt
Old 05-22-2006, 06:44 PM #10
mousek801
Blasé Polar Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juztyn
So your going to stumble your way though setting up not one, but two fileservers, and you don't know what those things mean? Let alone how to even use the ****ing internet to find such things?

mmk, well for your info the network is all set up, conected to my home comp network, and im working on remote access, i dobut you could do that
Old 05-22-2006, 10:33 PM #11
Juztyn
Conebone69

If your "network" was set up, then why did you ask the question? Also, using any sort of remote access program is taught in 2nd grade I believe, so don't even get me started on those. I use realvnc and microsofts remote desktop connection about everyday. Don't even try to talk to me about networks.

XBL = Khorrupt
Old 05-22-2006, 10:56 PM #12
ClawHammer
Kraft durch Freude

ClawHammer is a Supporting Member
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817111503

Cheap little 10base 4 port hub. Just connect two standered cat-5e cables to the two computers and then a crossover to the hub (I'm assuming your using a hub from your broadband connection, and I'm assuming you have broadband... )
Old 05-23-2006, 06:02 AM #13
OneFourDeuce

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawHammer
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817111503

Cheap little 10base 4 port hub. Just connect two standered cat-5e cables to the two computers and then a crossover to the hub (I'm assuming your using a hub from your broadband connection, and I'm assuming you have broadband... )
he wouldnt even need cat-5e, cat-5 would be fine and cheaper.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:07 AM #14
yellowsnowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFourDeuce
he wouldnt even need cat-5e, cat-5 would be fine and cheaper.
Man most cat-5 cables are virtually the same price as cat-5e. Usually stores just know them as patch cables. You may save a nickel. The box level is where you will see a bigger price difference.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:32 PM #15
deejay88
pballer2oo7 | skrip_kid

Juztyn is a....

Um...excuse me while I kindly rip somebody's head off for being an idiot.

Juztyn said,
"So your going to stumble your way though setting up not one, but two fileservers, and you don't know what those things mean? Let alone how to even use the ****ing internet to find such things?"

He already has the two file servers (btw, Juztyn: do you know what a file server is? a file? a server? jw). He already has the network. He's playing around (we call it, "working labs"), trying to set them up "on their own network". In other words, trying to set up another subnet to seperate the servers from the rest of the network. Um...that's why you would ask such questions about routers: routers connect seperate networks. Also: hubs, switches, routers all look the same and run together in the minds of most people. There is nothing wrong with not knowing the difference. Nothing wrong with asking. BTW: Juztyn: I would love for you to enlighten me on the difference between a patch, a drop, and a crossover. Thank you.

Juztyn said:
"If your "network" was set up, then why did you ask the question? Also, using any sort of remote access program is taught in 2nd grade I believe, so don't even get me started on those. I use realvnc and microsofts remote desktop connection about everyday. Don't even try to talk to me about networks."

First of all: why is network in quotation marks? A network is a network for crying out loud (oh...Juztyn: do you know what a network is? ok. just making sure). Also: I had a SOHO at home for about 4 years b4 I learned the difference between a patch cable and a crossover cable. And a router and a switch. Etc. etc. Now...he said he was working on remote access. Learning how to use go to my pc or even windows RDP is a tad different than actually being able to set up a VPN or knowing what port to open in a firewall for RDP to make it through or to set a RRAS server or...I'll stop. Anyway: I happen to be working on remote access as well. This summer I plan to play around and set up a RRAS server at home, and VPN into my SOHO from...well...anywhere. Just for the fun of it...for the know of it...and...well. Anyway. Juztyn: congratulations man: you know how to use realvnc? guess they can let go to third grade.

And...let me be the first to say I'm rather immature in posting this. But it drives me nuts when people flame and it's obvious that they don't even know what they're flaming about.

'Course, I'm not helping by flaming back. Like I said: immature.

My apologies.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:40 PM #16
deejay88
pballer2oo7 | skrip_kid

I don't think anybody defined bridge.

A bridge is a component that connects disimilar (spelling?) networks. A wireless access point acts as a bridge between WiFi and the cat5 strung through your walls, for example. There are bridges for going back and forth between ethernet, token ring, 10base2, 10base5, 10baseT, 100baseFX, blah, blah, blah, blah....

Not a very good definition...but when it boils down...you don't really need to have a very heavy grasp on bridges. The only thing that resembles a bridge that you and me will probably ever work with is the wirleess feature integrated into a SOHO router/switch (from netgear, linksys, dlink...etc).

Of course...if you're talking about logical bridges (like putting a modem into bridge mode or bridging two networks in Windows, for example): we need to start another thread. lol.

Take care.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:00 PM #17
Juztyn
Conebone69

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay88
Um...excuse me while I kindly rip somebody's head off for being an idiot.

Juztyn said,
"So your going to stumble your way though setting up not one, but two fileservers, and you don't know what those things mean? Let alone how to even use the ****ing internet to find such things?"

He already has the two file servers (btw, Juztyn: do you know what a file server is? a file? a server? jw). He already has the network. He's playing around (we call it, "working labs"), trying to set them up "on their own network". In other words, trying to set up another subnet to seperate the servers from the rest of the network. Um...that's why you would ask such questions about routers: routers connect seperate networks. Also: hubs, switches, routers all look the same and run together in the minds of most people. There is nothing wrong with not knowing the difference. Nothing wrong with asking. BTW: Juztyn: I would love for you to enlighten me on the difference between a patch, a drop, and a crossover. Thank you.

Juztyn said:
"If your "network" was set up, then why did you ask the question? Also, using any sort of remote access program is taught in 2nd grade I believe, so don't even get me started on those. I use realvnc and microsofts remote desktop connection about everyday. Don't even try to talk to me about networks."

First of all: why is network in quotation marks? A network is a network for crying out loud (oh...Juztyn: do you know what a network is? ok. just making sure). Also: I had a SOHO at home for about 4 years b4 I learned the difference between a patch cable and a crossover cable. And a router and a switch. Etc. etc. Now...he said he was working on remote access. Learning how to use go to my pc or even windows RDP is a tad different than actually being able to set up a VPN or knowing what port to open in a firewall for RDP to make it through or to set a RRAS server or...I'll stop. Anyway: I happen to be working on remote access as well. This summer I plan to play around and set up a RRAS server at home, and VPN into my SOHO from...well...anywhere. Just for the fun of it...for the know of it...and...well. Anyway. Juztyn: congratulations man: you know how to use realvnc? guess they can let go to third grade.

And...let me be the first to say I'm rather immature in posting this. But it drives me nuts when people flame and it's obvious that they don't even know what they're flaming about.

'Course, I'm not helping by flaming back. Like I said: immature.

My apologies.
Wow...just..wow.

Looks like someone took an introduction to networking class. Im not even going any farther into this. If I were to start explaining things to you, it would end up in a "I bet you googled that".

And by the way, I work for a local computer company (nothing big or fancy) and we manage networks for roughly 50 other small to mid sized companies in the area. I am by no means a noob to networks, so please don't address me as one.

XBL = Khorrupt
Old 05-23-2006, 07:59 PM #18
mousek801
Blasé Polar Bear

yea we can all work for anyone we want on the internet, but when it comes down to it, yea im a kid, but i learned as you did with expiernce not some tard on the net saying look things up yourself. if i asked you a moderate question on thermodynamics, you would have no idea and need help, we even have people to do this they are called teachers, you cant just read something and learn it you need someone to ask questions to and help you with it. yet i digress and thank all for the help my family is very happy with the server network.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:24 PM #19
Darth Bagel
read. comprehend. post.

Darth Bagel is a Supporting Member
What the **** is with the sudden influx of people who've finished a basic networking class at high school and think they know enough to write small essays on how everybody's network should be set up?
Old 05-23-2006, 09:36 PM #20
Juztyn
Conebone69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Bagel
What the **** is with the sudden influx of people who've finished a basic networking class at high school and think they know enough to write small essays on how everybody's network should be set up?
End of semister/school year I guess.

XBL = Khorrupt
Old 05-24-2006, 08:37 AM #21
deejay88
pballer2oo7 | skrip_kid

Juztyn said: "End of semister/school year I guess."

Yeah...that's it, I think.