PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-03-2010, 08:32 PM #1
minikmak

has been a member for 10 years
airsoft vs paintball range and accuracy

not including Fsr for obvious reasons but i remember hearing that some airsoft guns have a slightly higher range than paintballs is this true?
minikmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2010, 11:00 PM #2
Petis_spyderman
Soberity Kills Me.

Yes. Higher fps with a lower weight projectile usually makes for higher/longer range. I'd almost say they are at about equal levels, with the higher powered gas/spring snipers with greater range.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:38 AM #3
MangoChutney
HAI IM A BAT!

Airsoft has a higher range because of a higher FPS matched with a variable BB weight. A paintball travels at roughly 300fps and weighs roughly 3.2g, neither really vary much. Meanwhile an Airsoft BB can weigh anywhere from .12g to .3g and travel as fast as 1,000fps, so naturally they will shoot farther. As for accuracy, they're both about the same since you have a bore matched barrel except that Airsoft relies more on dialing in hop-up whereas Paintball only has a few barrels that have that advantage.

tl;dr Airsoft guns are able to shoot farther and more accurate than Paintball.
MangoChutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:49 AM #4
zimm41
A.F.F.A

Really 1000 fps? Impossible.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:35 AM #5
big,bad,PAINTBALLER
Are you a beaver cuz dam!

big,bad,PAINTBALLER helped look for balloons
big,bad,PAINTBALLER owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
big,bad,PAINTBALLER supports Team VICIOUS
big,bad,PAINTBALLER is reppin' sidebar 4 life
big,bad,PAINTBALLER is attending Decay of Nations VI
no?
big,bad,PAINTBALLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:16 AM #6
MangoChutney
HAI IM A BAT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimm41 View Post
Really 1000 fps? Impossible.
Uh. Yes. It's possible. With an 8mm it's even easier, but it's even possible with 6mm.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:14 PM #7
zimm41
A.F.F.A

have you evidence or proof of such a speed? or where i could buy parts to make my M4 or bar-10 shoot that fast?
Old 03-04-2010, 02:23 PM #8
minikmak

i believe that most airsoft fiels have a 550fps sniper limit and i also remember hearing that past 600fps an airsoft gun is technically a bb gun just as a paintball gun past 350 is an ltl
Old 03-04-2010, 02:26 PM #9
zimm41
A.F.F.A

Yes most fields cap sniper at 500 with a 100' engagement distance. And alot require a safety course. A plastic bb flying at double that speed will fly so fast and have such a spin that it will be terribly inacurate. Let alone the physics involved in an aeg operating like that. The gears would strip,no motor could pull that large of a spring. Not to mention that nobody makes a spring that large.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:54 PM #10
minikmak

so what is the effective range a "sniper" can pull off. I play pump paintball so i assume that playing sniper would be the equivalent of playing pump
Old 03-04-2010, 04:05 PM #11
zimm41
A.F.F.A

Effectively I'd say at least 175-200 with the propper set up and precision bb's usually a heavier more expensive bb is used usually a .3 gram or higher. Along with a 6.01 inner barrel up to 275-300 ft may be possible. The same is true for bolt action airsoft snipers as real steel as in they are more accurate than a semi auto. If you ever want to build a great bolt action sniper get me I'll get u a parts list.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:10 PM #12
BlackWidowRenagade

Airsoft has both in its favor, the BB weight is what helps the most. The heavier the BB the better it is not to be affected by the wind and it travels further by keeping its inertia. Paintball would win with the accuracy if Airsoft didnt have any hop-up assemby. No gun can be truly accurate, only the gunner and experience with his gun would know how to place shots, also true with paintball.

Now as for that 1000FPS i would have to see that in person to believe it. The fastest i have ever seen an airsoft gun do is just under 800, and that was a very hot day on a gas sniper rifle turned all the way up for S&Gs. If you are talking about 1000FPS then you would be going into some small arms speeds

.22LR
40 gr (2.6 g) Solid[1] 1,080 ft/s (330 m/s) 104 ft·lbf (141 J)

I would most definantly call that a weapon that would not be used and could very well hurt or even kill someone.
Official Naughty Dogs Fan Club#121
Psyco Cocker Pump
AirrowGun on a Hoyt Bow
BlackWidowRenagade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:19 PM #13
IonBaller07
Joyness, I Has It

IonBaller07 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Yes 100 yards (or 300') is what most snipers set their goals on, on average a Mildly upgraded sniper rifle can get decent groupings at 200' and stock rifles get around 120' depending on the rifle.

The reason why airsoft is more accurate and getts better range than paintball is:
Higher FPS, 300-600+ (1000 is possible but it will tear apart your internals and wont be legal on any field)
Hop up, creating a backspin allowing the bb to travel much farther, (turn your hopup off and the bb easily loses half its range and accuracy)
Lower mass BBs
BBs have NO seams unlike paintballs
BBs arent filled with paint, ever try to throw a water bottle? The water moving inside hellla messes with the throw, same with paint, good bbs are completely solid inside without so much as a bubble.

The combination of these factors makes airsoft have more accurate and better range
I WANT CHICKEN AND CHI-CHI'S
I WANT TASTE BUDS
IonBaller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:44 PM #14
MangoChutney
HAI IM A BAT!

Quote:
have you evidence or proof of such a speed? or where i could buy parts to make my M4 or bar-10 shoot that fast?
I personally don't own a gun that shoots 1,000fps, but I have seen it. A friend of mine has an SPR that shoots ~700fps, I'll get a video or pictures of it being chronographed next time I see him.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:48 AM #15
zimm41
A.F.F.A

No airsoft gun shoots 1000fps nor will one ever. It's literly impossible as no spring is made to shoot that And no motor could pull such a spring if it exists. I'd love too see your friends expensive 700fps rifle that can't be used anywhere but to shoot at a can lol. Engaging a human with that kinda weapon is dangerous.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:58 AM #16
MangoChutney
HAI IM A BAT!

Quote:
No airsoft gun shoots 1000fps nor will one ever. It's literly impossible as no spring is made to shoot that And no motor could pull such a spring if it exists. I'd love too see your friends expensive 700fps rifle that can't be used anywhere but to shoot at a can lol. Engaging a human with that kinda weapon is dangerous.
Shooting each other with Airsoft guns is dangerous, but we still do it. Also, 700fps > 400fps. Fields near me allow it, but only in semi and a very long engagement zone.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:05 AM #17
impyslayer
Im Throwed

impyslayer is a founding member
impyslayer owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
impyslayer is for the Gunfight
Quote:
im sure gas guns could easily pull it off

they make co2 power pellet guns that reach 1,000 and 1,200 fps that you can buy at walmart
it wouldnt be to hard to make a gas airsoft gun do it
impyslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:40 PM #18
zimm41
A.F.F.A

Quote:
Originally Posted by impyslayer View Post
im sure gas guns could easily pull it off

they make co2 power pellet guns that reach 1,000 and 1,200 fps that you can buy at walmart
it wouldnt be to hard to make a gas airsoft gun do it
nobody makes parts to handle that stress let alone making the parts in general. A gas gun operates like a paintball gun with a valve system. The mags and valvs are made to handle a set fps.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:02 PM #19
darkstep721

I don't see how an airsoft gun can shoot 1000 fps. I had a "hobby" AEG that chrono'ed at 550fps and had an upgraded gears, battery, and barrel. I was already having problems with gears wearing down at that speed.
darkstep721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:27 PM #20
zimm41
A.F.F.A

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstep721 View Post
I don't see how an airsoft gun can shoot 1000 fps. I had a "hobby" AEG that chrono'ed at 550fps and had an upgraded gears, battery, and barrel. I was already having problems with gears wearing down at that speed.
it cant.....
Old 04-03-2010, 05:31 PM #21
MangoChutney
HAI IM A BAT!

Quote:
it cant.....
It can.....