PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 08:03 AM #85
Matt.is.back2011

has been a member for 10 years
Progressive VAT tax replacing income tax is fine; VAT on top of income tax is just stupid. Businesses WILL pass that along to the consumer, rest assured.

As for Animal Mother, I think you may want to re-adjust your W4. I get $553.00 taken out in taxes, and still walk away with $1600 AFTER my 401k+medical deductions.

Your year-end tax return is probably a lot nicer than mine though.

U of M Football: 10-2
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-15-2012, 08:40 AM #86
chodeyg
sprezzatura

Quote:
Originally Posted by scienceguy View Post
I don't think it's quite as awesome as you say it is. The people I've seen here aren't very happy. In general, they're kept a few notches above angry. The scammers with six SS#s do much better.

I think you need to take account of what you really pay for with all those annoying social programs. You're really paying for social stability.

You claim to be someone that has fought in countries that lack these social programs so you've seen the results of a society with a large percentage of poor angry people. Do you think you would be able to stir up a hornets nest like Iraq, Somalia, Liberia, etc. in a population whose biggest health issue is obesity? You might be able to get a day or two or riots and looting, but then they get tired and go home.

You pay for something in the West, and for the most part you get it. Elections aren't bookended by violence and you don't have razor wire around your house.

Your other option is a powerful secret police like North Korea and Saddam's Iraq. I, personally, would prefer to complain about taxes over political prison.

If you hate your union status so much, Foxconn is always hiring.
Thanks for this post. A lot of people seem to forget these countries that foster terrorism and anti US sentiment have no social safety nets whatsoever.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:57 AM #87
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by chodeyg View Post
Thanks for this post. A lot of people seem to forget these countries that foster terrorism and anti US sentiment have no social safety nets whatsoever.
You'd be surprised what you can live without.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
Old 11-15-2012, 09:35 AM #88
slateman

slateman is a Supporting Member
slateman is a founding member
slateman is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
I can't wait till I get paid 1800 a week ...

Quod Me Nutrit Me Destruit
Old 11-15-2012, 09:47 AM #89
scienceguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
I won't argue with that statement, but i dont see how its relevant to the social stability argument.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:54 PM #90
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Old 11-15-2012, 01:13 PM #91
BodyCount81

BodyCount81 supports Cereal Killerz 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
Tell that to the people on welfare buying lobsters.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:20 PM #92
Matt.is.back2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodyCount81
This.

Illegal Welfare Lobster farms is becoming a huge issue in the United States.

U of M Football: 10-2
Old 11-15-2012, 01:32 PM #93
licence2kill
POOP

End illegal welfare lobster farming NOW
Old 11-15-2012, 01:34 PM #94
scienceguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodyCount81 View Post
It's funny how things change. Lobsters used to be the crap poor people had to eat. Now when people want to be fancy they eat a giant bug.

In any case lobster is pretty cheap now. It's not what it was 10 years ago. It was 4.99 lb on special at market basket last time i checked. They'd even steam it for free while tou wait. Gotta love the basket.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:47 PM #95
F1VENOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.is.back2011 View Post
This.

Illegal Welfare Lobster farms is becoming a huge issue in the United States.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
Old 11-15-2012, 01:54 PM #96
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa

I don't see why you guys are giving him so much **** about this. I think it's perfectly reasonable to be upset about being taxed so much. His income is irrelevant, but everyone here seems to think that because he has enough to get by on your standards, he shouldn't be *****ing.

Where is the logic behind taxing someone more as they work more? I understand taxing more if you are PAID more, but not based on how much you work. It's as if the government wants you to work hard, but not TOO hard.

He doesn't work to support the government, he works to support himself / family. If we're going to put a burden on anyone, it should be on the people who have more money than they know what to do with it.

Just my .02.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:56 PM #97
F1VENOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhIoCoNtRActKilLa View Post
Where is the logic behind taxing someone more as they work more? I understand taxing more if you are PAID more, but not based on how much you work. It's as if the government wants you to work hard, but not TOO hard.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
Old 11-15-2012, 02:04 PM #98
licence2kill
POOP

im always amazed at how many people don't understand tax brackets
Old 11-15-2012, 02:13 PM #99
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
I don't see why you guys are giving him so much **** about this. I think it's perfectly reasonable to be upset about being taxed so much. His income is irrelevant, but everyone here seems to think that because he has enough to get by on your standards, he shouldn't be *****ing.

He doesn't work to support the government, he works to support himself / family. If we're going to put a burden on anyone, it should be on the people who have more money than they know what to do with it.

Just my .02.
The problem is that he expects the public goods provided by government but doesn't want to pay for it.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:32 PM #100
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa

He receives the same goods as I do, but he pays as much in taxes as I make in one check. Where is the logic behind that?
Old 11-15-2012, 02:33 PM #101
toolbandfan
The dude abides

toolbandfan is a Supporting Member
toolbandfan is playing at Living Legends VII
What state is this you're working in Mother and what exactly does a Machine Operator position require to work as one? Mechanical repair experience or something else?
Old 11-15-2012, 04:04 PM #102
custar

Quote:
He receives the same goods as I do, but he pays as much in taxes as I make in one check. Where is the logic behind that?
In before posts of "He benefits more from society".

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
I see you and others posting "Correlation does not equal causation" in this forum quite a bit. Do you have a link that establishes a causal effect?

custar

"That the said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United states who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms..."
Samuel Adams
Ave Caesar Obama! Tributituri ad moritus te salutant.

WTB Action Markers Diadem

Old feedback
Old 11-15-2012, 05:24 PM #103
drgonzo
Half-cocked

Quote:
What do you think the reason is for the higher tax rate? It's because he's getting paid more, duh.

Nowhere on your tax return does it count how many hours you worked.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:38 PM #104
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by custar View Post
I see you and others posting "Correlation does not equal causation" in this forum quite a bit. Do you have a link that establishes a causal effect?
I have a book that does (or attempts to). To be honest, it gets pretty meaty. This is one of those things that scholars go back and forth with. I can try to dig around the internet for some stuff but no promises.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:45 PM #105
licence2kill
POOP

Life expectancy and income in the U.S:

http://theincidentaleconomist.com/wo...ncy-arguments/
Closed Thread