Old 02-13-2013, 01:55 AM #22
ijinxd

ijinxd owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ijinxd has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ijinxd has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
ijinxd supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKI008 View Post
No. Paint has been dropping in price for years and yet numbers seem to be declining.

I'd put money on the fact that cheap paint + cheap electros = a whole bunch of new prospective players getting the **** shot out of them the first time they go and never playing again.
Apparently I need to move to NC.
When I first started playing, decent paint (premium, or similar) ran $35/case. Now, for the same paint I'm paying $45-$50.
Might just be where I live, but paint prices, increasing field fees, etc., are the reason I hit the field once a year, instead of once every 2 months.
ijinxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-13-2013, 03:48 AM #23
stephens76

Dying out???.....

I'm an older adult that just got into paintball due to my teenage son and have found that I was instantly addicted. We have a pretty regular crowd of speedballers and woodsball players at the field I frequent. I think the one area that irritates me is that I have noticed a good deal of players seem to be gun hoarders more than true ballers. They own markers for less than a year and trade/sell them before ever breaking them in. Most often without a scratch! All of my markers get scuffs and scratches due to me actually playing. Even though I'm older... I play hard. Perhaps I am opening an old wound... but I can't help myself to look over at the tables with some of our regulars tinkering with their newest edition and showing it off like a classic car rather than playing. To each his own I guess.

Although I have to say my field has seen an increase in traffic, even during days where it is below freezing. So perhaps it is regional?
stephens76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:13 AM #24
Horizon

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijinxd View Post
When I first started playing, decent paint (premium, or similar) ran $35/case. Now, for the same paint I'm paying $45-$50.
Might just be where I live, but paint prices, increasing field fees, etc., are the reason I hit the field once a year, instead of once every 2 months.
Sounds like you just chose the wrong hobby if you can only shell out that much once per year.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:53 AM #25
SNAKESNIPER (Banned)

Quote:
So an extra $15 per case takes you from playing 6 times a year to once?

I think you may need a better job.
SNAKESNIPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:42 PM #26
efc1777 (Banned)

Makes me sad to think about the nice days when i would meet everyone out on the fields every saturday. But then... they grew out of it and everyone just drifted away. Not dead yet but dying everyday
efc1777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:47 PM #27
ijinxd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Sounds like you just chose the wrong hobby if you can only shell out that much once per year.
No, other hobbies + tuition was the cause for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAKESNIPER View Post
So an extra $15 per case takes you from playing 6 times a year to once?

I think you may need a better job.
My job pays well. 6 x $15 = $90. Factor in tax, that totals to $100. I'd rather spend that extra $100 to dive for a whole day.
Honestly, I prefer some of my other hobbies over paintball for the most part.
The rising cost didn't "kill" it for me, but it was somewhat of a partial-deal breaker.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:20 PM #28
firststrike01
Peace is the way

Nope.
firststrike01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:04 PM #29
Generationlost

Generationlost owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomik9274 View Post
i think my post would be more reasonable in a NRA forum

Quote:
Doug Brown had this to say in a blog post, "In the 2005 inaugural meeting of the Paintball Sports Trade Association the president of the largest company in paintball told everyone (and I do mean everyone) that the number of new players coming into the sport had fallen off a cliff."

Doug wrote a three part article about it here: http://www.greyops.net/2011/09/paint...t-post-by.html . He's got some answers for you if you can't figure it out on your own.
Generationlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:43 AM #30
frankc420

Quote:
My job pays well. 6 x $15 = $90. Factor in tax, that totals to $100. I'd rather spend that extra $100 to dive for a whole day.
Honestly, I prefer some of my other hobbies over paintball for the most part.
The rising cost didn't "kill" it for me, but it was somewhat of a partial-deal breaker.
Man I'd rather dive any day, but I live in 'the land mass' between Arkansas and Alabama and I'm a good 6 hours from a good dive. Figure it's time for me to sell off my scuba gear and get into something closer, like PB.
frankc420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:42 PM #31
ijinxd

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankc420 View Post
Man I'd rather dive any day, but I live in 'the land mass' between Arkansas and Alabama and I'm a good 6 hours from a good dive. Figure it's time for me to sell off my scuba gear and get into something closer, like PB.
Sorry to hear that brother. It's such a fun hobby. I'd hold on to your gear, you never know. My buddy lives close by to you and always says the same thing. Every summer he flies out to California and dives Catalina and a few other spots. Last summer he dove the Great Barrier Reef.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:56 PM #32
StraightBalla

Paintball was dying out because the generation that was playing during the booming time got older, and couldnt afford to play. The generation after us doesnt even know what it is because of the economy. Now, i quit and came back a year ago and have been in full force. Its extremely fun, and is a passion of mine. So ill be doing everything i can to help the sport. Ill see you all in the pro division soon enough.

Maryland Ballas Club!!

https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...1#post33008222
StraightBalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:26 PM #33
Ghost2024
Get a Job Grouch

[quote=StraightBalla;78111398]Paintball was dying out because the generation that was playing during the booming time got older, and couldnt afford to play.QUOTE]

I agree with that used to play a lot until about 08'. Got older, more obligations, same with most of the guys i played with. 4 years is a long time to go without a pb fix. A couple of the guys I used to play with are getting back into it so it's time to dust off the gear and go play. Only bummer is not many local tournaments left. Anyway, I wouldn't say it's dead, not doing as well as it has in the past but not dead. The hard thing is getting the younger generation off the couch and out of the house.
Ghost2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:53 AM #34
stephens76

This old guy has turned into a regular at my local field. There is a group that formed their own recreational team and play quite frequently. I would be interested in forming a similar group. It would be nice to have two full regular groups to go head to head. So we see quite a bit of the recreational guys as well as local team players jumping in on rec matches. We get a fair number even on colder days in the offseason.
stephens76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:38 PM #35
texas skeeter
UncleSam says,"GET A JOB"

texas skeeter is playing at Living Legends VIII
texas skeeter owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
texas skeeter supports DLX Technology
Quote:
The other big question...WHY were new players not being attracted and retained in paintball?
Youth employment is waaaay down due to this bad economy. The economy preceded to get bad during Bushes last 2 yrs. It's been bad for 6 yrs now and going to remain bad for the next 4 yrs. It doesn't matter who's to blame but teens/20 yr olds unemployment is higher than it's ever been. They nor their parents seem to be able to afford it these days. As far as the sport, Ive been playing for 25 yrs-ish now and lately everytime i go to play advanced walk-on, it's so large here in N. Texas they try to split up the group every weekend. Iam too old, tired and Fat to play airball.
texas skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:23 PM #36
Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas skeeter View Post
Youth employment is waaaay down due to this bad economy. The economy preceded to get bad during Bushes last 2 yrs. It's been bad for 6 yrs now and going to remain bad for the next 4 yrs. It doesn't matter who's to blame but teens/20 yr olds unemployment is higher than it's ever been. They nor their parents seem to be able to afford it these days. As far as the sport, Ive been playing for 25 yrs-ish now and lately everytime i go to play advanced walk-on, it's so large here in N. Texas they try to split up the group every weekend. Iam too old, tired and Fat to play airball.
It's too bad you weren't there for that meeting to explain it to all the business heads. They thought with the economy booming the way it was in 2004 & 2005 and unemployment be as low as it was, that it must have been something else.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:22 PM #37
catterman
It does what its told!

catterman supports Team VICIOUS
catterman plays in the APPA D5 division
I blame video games... That is all. Carry on, carry on.
CAROLINA KEGGERS #13
catterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:31 PM #38
Tryfan

It ain't the economy. As was noted by the industry, paintball popularity was crashing BEFORE the economy was.

Look elsewhere.
Tryfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:00 PM #39
texas skeeter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryfan View Post

Look elsewhere.
L'dMAO.

Quote:
They nor their parents seem to be able to afford it these days.
I was merely giving a possible reason as of lately and it's called an opinion. I love this place and all those that are so quick to jump in and tell everyone they're wrong.

Last edited by texas skeeter : 02-21-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:25 AM #40
Tryfan

Quote:
L'dMAO.

I was merely giving a possible reason as of lately and it's called an opinion. I love this place and all those that are so quick to jump in and tell everyone they're wrong.
Says someone who thinks "L'dMAO" is an intelligent response...

Glass houses and all that.

Tryfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:07 AM #41
texas skeeter

Ooh Rough crowd. But yer still funny and I'll just leave it at that lil buddy.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:35 PM #42
ih8ipods
Way diffrent in real life

Quote:
Originally Posted by catterman View Post
I blame video games... That is all. Carry on, carry on.
i totally agree with you, i even started a thread bout the same subject i belive, but alot of people disagreed,

also if you guys need work, come to Alberta, we NEED workers and you guys need jobs, do the math.

PLEASE STOP USING DUBSTEP IN ANY AND ALL PAINTBALL VIDEOS CAUSE REALLY ITS JUST HARD TO WATCH WITH THAT UNINTELLIGIBLE GARBAGE PLAYING.

On average NPPL and semi players can satisfy their girlfriends and wives much better than PSP and ramping players :)
ih8ipods is offline   Reply With Quote