Old 05-23-2011, 10:40 PM #22
xXEnvyXx
Oh Hai

xXEnvyXx plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
xXEnvyXx plays in the APPA D1 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyspirithand View Post
Instead of South Carolina, move it up to the Northeast, many more teams and very nice fields they could host it at. Otherwise I agree with all your points, especially having an event here in Texas, there are so many local teams here

Do you realize how far Texas is away from Vegas and HB right?

http://www.mapquest.com/#b653a6b59716b61001cac28e
i do realize how far it is, but its no further than i hav to go from new york for evry event ever untill psp new jersey if it goes thru
xXEnvyXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-24-2011, 12:15 AM #23
ecuadoreandude9691

has been a member for 10 years
ecuadoreandude9691 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
ecuadoreandude9691 supports Team VICIOUS
NPPL should host an event in the northeast or maybe the same place the psp host world cup or a field with enough land in FL.

Last edited by ecuadoreandude9691 : 05-24-2011 at 12:25 AM.
ecuadoreandude9691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:39 AM #24
Kenny OKC
In Memory of Steve

Kenny OKC plays in the PSP
Kenny OKC owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Kenny OKC owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Kenny OKC plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdoyalrules View Post
Add a northwest event if not every year but once every few years there is alot of players in the area and it's been 12 years since a tournament held here
Yes! The PacNW would be an ideal location for an event! You would draw a group of teams from Canada as well!
Team Blacksheep
Kenny OKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:03 AM #25
poopresearch
Dr Nick

poopresearch plays in the PSP
poopresearch supports DLX Technology
I know that the DBS teams, Thunder, Vendetta, Uprising and a grip of NW/Western Canadian teams would be very excited to have a NW event. Contrary to popular belief the weather is pretty great here between June to September. Way fewer rainstorms than the east coast or midwest.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:33 AM #26
wildstreak

wildstreak owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
wildstreak owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
bring it back to florida!!
Meathammers Fan #13
wildstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:33 AM #27
SeA~CaDeT
Paintball?

SeA~CaDeT owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
The league needs to attract spectators and visitors who arent yet into paintball, we need to grow the sport. This cannot happen at CPX, EVER due to its location. Not a knock against CPX but its the truth. It felt pretty dead.
'Life sucks without alcohol and loose women. Once that loses flavor, you might as well stop trying.' - IPOPPEDTIMMY
Getting back into paintball for better or worse.
SeA~CaDeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:52 AM #28
Tim Kuykendall
Texas Renegades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Mason View Post

Hosting events at paintball parks is really a solid game plan. Any improvements to the facility go directly back into the industry. Further, holding a national professional event at a paintball field increases the legitimacy and helps develop the local paintball scene.

Hope that helps clear any confusion up..
Great point, but why not give other fields the opportunity to build and improve on a relationship with NPPL?

I agree the vendor area needs to be located so people are less exposed to getting hit.

Ok, let's try discuss improvements:
I would suggest posting a schedule on a board outside the chrono tents and a clock.

Allow 10 minutes for each game on the schedule and give teams 2 minute after the game to get ready.

Allow teams to enter the field when time is called to to speed the transition

Here's my big issue. Why are we flipping a coin to determine sides? On the schedule each team is listed 4 times as "home" and 4 times as "visitors". One side of the field should be marked as Home, that way each team plays 4 time from each side. Flipping a coin is idiotic and can provide a team with an advantage (if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all) One game the ref and other team flipped the coin before any of us were even on the field! Who calls the flip? The first team on the field. Now were racing to see who gets on the field first!
Old 05-24-2011, 08:06 AM #29
paintball_junkie187
Pain Lies Awaiting You...

People need to get this "let's grow paintball" philosophy out of their heads. The harder each league tries to make it more friendly to outsiders the more it goes backwards. Paintball is a hobby which is comprised of paying customers. We the players should be the primary concern. Paintball grew in the 90's and early part of this last decade by leagues trying to put on the best events for us the players. It was when everyone wanted to pursue tv and outside money to "grow the sport" that things started to unravel. Flashy stadium venues, exclusive leagues (NXL and the original 8 teams paying a substantial fee of six figures to join as I recall), numerous lower divisional leagues instead of the tried and true Pro, Amateur and Novice.

When something is great and worthy, it grows. Just like a name brand, quality and substance will take it where it needs to be. Forcing it on people and neglecting your core base (the players) is how you end up risking it all.

Now, I of course want paintball to thrive. That would and does mean the world to me. That's why I am constantly taking people to play for their first time at rec fields because that is where so many of the current and former tourney players are birthed. Once people play the first time, they are hooked. If you are reading this you know it's true because it happened to you. And I know not every rec player goes onto tourney play but a good number do. I would venture to say 90% or more of current national players started off by playing with a rental and a bunch of friends and the evolution began. Coach the young kids and new players. Give them your extra pods, old jerseys etc. Hell, just give them a little bit of time and attention and show them paintball is a brotherhood and watch them keep coming back. This is how the sport grows. Not by throwing money around and pursuing those outside interests that don't and won't know what we are about. Playing the game we love, supporting our local fields and stores and representing the game itself when outsiders ask us what's with bruises all over your neck and arms ....that's growing the sport.

I'm done with the soapbox, sorry for digressing.
paintball_junkie187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:56 AM #30
mcgyver
Common Sense Is Tingling

mcgyver is a Supporting Member
mcgyver supports Pev's Paintball
mcgyver is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
mcgyver is Legendary
A schedule posted outside the chrono area is a great idea.

GO BEARS/CUBS/HAWKS
mcgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:09 PM #31
FilipanicBaller

Agree 100 percent

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintball_junkie187 View Post
People need to get this "let's grow paintball" philosophy out of their heads. The harder each league tries to make it more friendly to outsiders the more it goes backwards. Paintball is a hobby which is comprised of paying customers. We the players should be the primary concern. Paintball grew in the 90's and early part of this last decade by leagues trying to put on the best events for us the players. It was when everyone wanted to pursue tv and outside money to "grow the sport" that things started to unravel. Flashy stadium venues, exclusive leagues (NXL and the original 8 teams paying a substantial fee of six figures to join as I recall), numerous lower divisional leagues instead of the tried and true Pro, Amateur and Novice.

When something is great and worthy, it grows. Just like a name brand, quality and substance will take it where it needs to be. Forcing it on people and neglecting your core base (the players) is how you end up risking it all.

Now, I of course want paintball to thrive. That would and does mean the world to me. That's why I am constantly taking people to play for their first time at rec fields because that is where so many of the current and former tourney players are birthed. Once people play the first time, they are hooked. If you are reading this you know it's true because it happened to you. And I know not every rec player goes onto tourney play but a good number do. I would venture to say 90% or more of current national players started off by playing with a rental and a bunch of friends and the evolution began. Coach the young kids and new players. Give them your extra pods, old jerseys etc. Hell, just give them a little bit of time and attention and show them paintball is a brotherhood and watch them keep coming back. This is how the sport grows. Not by throwing money around and pursuing those outside interests that don't and won't know what we are about. Playing the game we love, supporting our local fields and stores and representing the game itself when outsiders ask us what's with bruises all over your neck and arms ....that's growing the sport.

Best post I've read on here in a very very long time.
FilipanicBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:54 PM #32
Tim Kuykendall
Texas Renegades

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintball_junkie187 View Post

Very good point and it's nto a soapbox!
There's alot about paintball that is vety much like any other sport, hobby, activity whatever you wan tto call it./ Peopl want others to do the work. They don't want to invest any effort.

I agree, one on the best posts in a long time. Want to grow the sport? Do exacetly what junkie said: Coach the young kids and new players. Give them your extra pods, old jerseys etc. Hell, just give them a little bit of time and attention and show them paintball is a brotherhood and watch them keep coming back. This is how the sport grows.

Junkie, thanks for contributing.

Now what other improvements can NPPL make to make the events better? For now lets exclude different locations, other fields, etc. Lets avoid "big ticket" ideas that do cost money.

Here's the deal. The events are for and because of players like us. Believe it or not the NPPL will listen. They may not admit it, but they will listen. I know a lot of people think the focus is always on the pro teams, and to a certain extent they do get a lot of attention, but the core of this leauge is the D2, D3 and D4 players. Our entry fees's support and carry the prize pool.

Heres a few more suggestions. I'm sure they may seem small to some but I think it would improve the leauge.

* I like the team list and rosters being posted early, but why not indicate if the team is paid/not paid?

* Player listed on the roster should include an identification number and a better tracking system of the players

Chrono tent:
* Post a schedul outside the tent. Not taped to the pole, not the same size handed out at registration. Print a larger size (17 x 24) and mount to a board.

* Hang a clock for the refs to see how far off schedule they are (sometimes)

* Provide a volunteer to help call teams to chrono or get the chrono ref a mega phone

Field:
* From the chrono tent, can you make the entry a little bigger?

* How about a exit gate other than the entry gate?

* Identify a Home and Visitor side of the field. Stop flipping a coin! (soapbox I know)

Can we get decent flag on a decent stand? If this is a professional level tourny, let do everything possible to be professional.

How about 4 rakes at each end of the field behind the starting table. If a team wants to rake a bunker before the match they have an opportunity.

If you have an idea that will improve the events please post them.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:20 PM #33
no limit 06
steve adys an infraction

no limit 06 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
no limit 06 plays in the APPA D3 division
i agree with the flipping of the coin is stupid, the first day we didnt even see the one side of the field. im not complaining but each team should have an "equal" chance. not luck by the flip of a coin
Old 05-24-2011, 03:31 PM #34
shock2k3
get hostile

shock2k3 is a Supporting Member
shock2k3 plays in the APPA D4 division
NEVER EVER make the netting that close to the field, the poor ref's and camera men on field 2 (can't speak for field 1) were legit on the field in the way. If anyone doesn't play national event's just picture looking down your tape and seeing 3 ref's minimum and a couple camera/video people lined up. Besides being in the way it must have SUCKED to be a ref or a media person... Also the bounce shot off the nets was stupid, it shouldnt be a part of the game on the national level.

Also I was really honestly looking forward to chicago this year, last year was the best grass I've ever played on, this year they stuck us over where the grass was un-even terrain, full of weeds, bare spots and even some spots had to have turf pinned down over them wich is not a smooth transition at all.

I'm assuming this was because the psp needed alot of room for there six fields they tend to need and wanted to give them the larger area of the parking lot that has better grass. Since we only needed two fields why not put us over on the good grass and then use the remaining land for say 4 psp fields and just put the last two fields over on the smaller/worse area. I don't see why you would piss off a whole league of players instead of just say 2 lower divisions in the psp
Old 05-24-2011, 04:02 PM #35
Tntrm69
Blind bA Aggression

do you understand how much money the pro teams pour into the league? i think they should be able to have their table.
Cabin Creek Paintball
Sandana USA

R.I.P. Michael Marine
Tntrm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:35 AM #36
Mrglass6919

Mrglass6919 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
Mrglass6919 plays in the APPA D4 division
How about "illegal rosters"

I know Frank "the Tank" Connel is mad now for losing to Dynasty but the amount of teams with more than 1 higher ranked player, please for the love of god, quit ASKING players what their rank is. If a player is going to cheat and wipe during the game why would they not say they are ranked lower. Use APPA again so there is a "standard" for ranking. I'm not calling anyone out specifically but the paintball community is a very close knit one at that, people know who you are, you're only foolnig yourself and are a disgrace to the sport!
Old 05-25-2011, 09:44 AM #37
Tim Kuykendall
Texas Renegades

Good points!

Yes I have an idea what to pro owner do for the league. The point was there wasn't enough tables. The other point is, if teams have a favorite table or spot they should be reserved. How would you like to have to leave a table and try to find another one in-between playoff games only to find no table or tent space?

Another good point with rosters.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:58 AM #38
MIADVSalex

MIADVSalex supports Ninja Paintball
There were no whistles on field two a ref would scream go and drop his arms
they need a buzzer or a whistle for real. Other than that it was a pretty good event to play in, but it did not feel like a nppl event it was small and depressing compared to other nppl events I have been to.
MIADVSalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:09 AM #39
MIADVSalex

MIADVSalex supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by shock2k3 View Post
NEVER EVER make the netting that close to the field, the poor ref's and camera men on field 2 (can't speak for field 1) were legit on the field in the way. If anyone doesn't play national event's just picture looking down your tape and seeing 3 ref's minimum and a couple camera/video people lined up. Besides being in the way it must have SUCKED to be a ref or a media person... Also the bounce shot off the nets was stupid, it shouldnt be a part of the game on the national level.

Also I was really honestly looking forward to chicago this year, last year was the best grass I've ever played on, this year they stuck us over where the grass was un-even terrain, full of weeds, bare spots and even some spots had to have turf pinned down over them wich is not a smooth transition at all.

I'm assuming this was because the psp needed alot of room for there six fields they tend to need and wanted to give them the larger area of the parking lot that has better grass. Since we only needed two fields why not put us over on the good grass and then use the remaining land for say 4 psp fields and just put the last two fields over on the smaller/worse area. I don't see why you would piss off a whole league of players instead of just say 2 lower divisions in the psp
VERY TRUE
MIADVSalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:54 AM #40
RORplayer44

RORplayer44 is a Supporting Member
RORplayer44 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
RORplayer44 plays in the MiLP
I was very excited to play my first NPPL seeing I was at last years chicago they had fresh grass & a good venue... feels like I got ****ed out of playing a nice field... skinning my elbows on where the turf met the grass with rocks around it =not fun. CPX has better practice fields than that
RORplayer44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:23 PM #41
big sexy fat man
Be the best

big sexy fat man is BST Trusted
big sexy fat man plays in the PSP
big sexy fat man plays in the APPA D3 division
big sexy fat man has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I don't know if this has been brought up here yet, but the internet updates with scores is terrible. I know that things are probably hectic in the main booth but it really sucks not knowing what is going on...

New Feedback
https://www.pbnation.com/feedbackdeta...167982&u=26258

Robin Lee Matteson - I couldn't have asked for a better father nor best friend.
big sexy fat man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:20 PM #42
Tim Kuykendall
Texas Renegades

OK,
Good feedback. Here's what we got so far:

Things that have little or no cost:
-Paint trucks closer to the player area
-Post a large schedule outside each chrono tent
-Standard flag and flag stand, or better flag and stand
-Short grass when playing on natural grass (peraonally I think 3" max)
-To improve transition time between games allow team to enter field when ref calls time
-Provide an exit from the field other than the chrono tent
-No coin flips to choose field sides.
-Mark one side home the other visitor and schedule dictates which side of the field the teams play
-Provide chrono ref with volunteer or give them bull horn to call teams
-Add more rakes and allow player to rack corners or other bunkers before the game
-Ensure the netting is farther from the sideline
-Actually mark the out of bound instead of using the net edge
-Have ref’s start each game with a whistle or horn
-More trash cans

Things that are more difficult or may have a significant cost:
-Trade show parallel to fields to prevent spectators from getting hit
-Provide a clock outside the chrono tent
-Show teams paid/not paid on registration
-Use better player tracking software for ranking and teams played with
-Improve posting scores during the day and on the internet

This is a very good start to improving a leauge we all enjoy being a part of. Keep in mind this is not the venue to discuss moving to other cities or rule changes. There is a specific way to address those issues but not after the season has started. I know we go to Pev's in September. Having never played there some of the items on the list may be addressed, but I know last year in Vegas and this year in HB many of the things listed above would have improved the event.

Keep it coming.