Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-01-2011, 11:02 PM #1
kj6
Moose?

has been a member for 10 years
MQ2 Documentation

Gentlemen,

I was just looking at my website, and I realized I've been completely ineffective at keeping the information on there up to date. I'm thinking it might be wise to open source everything on my website and let the community update and modify the information as it sees fit. Consider this a request for comments.

Here's the back story on the general unresponsiveness of MTX Designs and unavailability of valves and parts: Mike got married, had a couple of kids, and was given a major promotion at his day job. I work at a research lab 4.5 hours from my CNC machines. I'm still building really cool stuff on short development cycles (and still dealing with the fact that it consumes my entire life) like I always did for you guys, but now it's for the government.

Kerry
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-02-2011, 01:05 AM #2
hipnopath
Plays recball once a year

hipnopath helped look for balloons
hipnopath supports Team VICIOUS
hipnopath supports Ninja Paintball
I thought you guys died, lol. Still rock a nice MQ2 in my Karnivor.
hipnopath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 03:31 AM #3
hmcl281

how about a simple little forum for mq user?
hmcl281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:23 AM #4
WihGlah
Underboring works

WihGlah owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Good to see you posting - any plans for another run of valves?

WE ARE BORG!
SCORE IS IRRELEVANT!
WihGlah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:05 PM #5
playevil
Who needs badges?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WihGlah View Post
Good to see you posting - any plans for another run of valves?
2011 ASM Jersey Make It Happen!
Stop bonus balling first timers; you are killing our sport.
Stop bunking first timers; you are killing our sport.
Just stop killing our sport...

playevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:03 AM #6
wllbkr

yea yea ill buy two
wllbkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:58 AM #7
killingspree951

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj6 View Post
Gentlemen,

I was just looking at my website, and I realized I've been completely ineffective at keeping the information on there up to date. I'm thinking it might be wise to open source everything on my website and let the community update and modify the information as it sees fit. Consider this a request for comments.

Here's the back story on the general unresponsiveness of MTX Designs and unavailability of valves and parts: Mike got married, had a couple of kids, and was given a major promotion at his day job. I work at a research lab 4.5 hours from my CNC machines. I'm still building really cool stuff on short development cycles (and still dealing with the fact that it consumes my entire life) like I always did for you guys, but now it's for the government.

Kerry
ahhh the man himself, wish you guys had more time but i understand you live your daily lives, thank you for all you have already done, i appreciate greatly. like others have asked will there be another run of valves? and if not what about replacement parts cause i am in need of some

Ninja Edit: That doesnt sound so good rereading it :("

Looking for a black all American freak tip, pm me
killingspree951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 02:25 PM #8
kj6
Moose?

More valves are kind of up in the air at this point. Is there still a large demand?
Old 04-03-2011, 02:59 PM #9
playevil
Who needs badges?

Quote:
More valves are kind of up in the air at this point. Is there still a large demand?
When ever the topic anywhere in the world "how to make my autococker awesome? pops up (and its frequent) ;MQ2 is the first and only answer.
I personally would but several.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:20 PM #10
killingspree951

Quote:
i know there is a need for replacement parts, seals and dots and what not, and maybe another small run of valves?

Ninja Edit: That doesnt sound so good rereading it :("

Looking for a black all American freak tip, pm me
killingspree951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:57 PM #11
hmcl281

Quote:
just take a look at compulsive, seems like they can not keep it in stock for to long
hmcl281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:01 PM #12
mryella
Pink Lady DC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj6
I personally would like to get a karni and standard. The demand is definitely there, people love their autocockers!

Last edited by mryella : 04-03-2011 at 07:57 PM.
mryella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:10 PM #13
Sandridge
Go Bucks!

I agree... the demand is there. If you did a limited run at maybe 100 of them, and made it known in advance on the larger pb forums like pbnation, t3chpb, mcb and custom cockers, you would sell all of them. You could probably take preorders to mitigate risks of not selling or putting your capital up for a decent run. Personally, I would snag a few if possible.

Feedback: https://pbnation.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=302061
Items Forsale
Sandridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:21 PM #14
screwloose45

I've been watching Compulsive for 11/16 valves and noticed that the last batch of 10 eblade valves sold out in under a week. This was probably two or three weeks ago.
screwloose45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:34 PM #15
cww516
clever text goes here

cww516 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
used MQ2s are still selling quickly and for ~$100 (from what i've seen), so the demand is definitely there. can't say i'd buy one, but the only electro cocker i have already has one, so i'm not really in the market

as far as a site, maybe have some sort of a wiki on the existing site? can be edited by the community, and you can probably set it up to have discussion pages associated with different topics. best of both worlds. probably couldn't hurt to ask if you can get some space on customcockers, might be able to get a forum/subforum or something like that.
cww516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 08:01 PM #16
mryella
Pink Lady DC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cww516
probably couldn't hurt to ask if you can get some space on customcockers, might be able to get a forum/subforum or something like that.
I also think custom Cockers would definitely be a good place to ask for forum space. That way website is maintained for you all you have to do is pop in every now and then.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:00 PM #17
kj6
Moose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryella View Post
I also think custom Cockers would definitely be a good place to ask for forum space. That way website is maintained for you all you have to do is pop in every now and then.
This seems like a pretty good idea, but wouldn't necessarily allow editing by the community.
cww516- I really like the idea of a wiki, but I don't think I'm a good candidate to maintain it. Honestly, I haven't played paintball since undergrad, and I'm totally out of touch.

What's the going rate for a used cocker these days? A major concern I've always had about the valve was the fact that it could be a large fraction of the price of your gun. Does it make sense to drop a $125 valve in a gun you paid $250 for? I don't think so. We really can't make them any cheaper... our price hasn't changed since 2003, and we take a lower margin every time we buy a new batch of solenoids.
Are e-frames readily available? Most of you are running e1 and e2 frames, correct? We dropped support for the race frame because we weren't selling many of those valves, and correct function was very hit or miss.

Sandridge- I'm not really comfortable taking preorders after the debacle we had with PBX. We don't do direct sales anymore because Jim got tired of it. I offered him a larger commission, but I think he wanted to focus on other things.
The financial risk isn't too big. The only thing we need to put up cash for is a couple $k worth of solenoids and maybe $500 of misc materials. Assembling and testing the valves is very labor intensive, and it's difficult to convince a couple of guys with masters degrees in engineering to work for $10 an hour. Time is the limiting factor.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:12 PM #18
playevil
Who needs badges?

E1 and E2 are most common, haven't seen race cockers much at all. Cockers resale.. well its no secret that its largely depended on Body style, E1/E2, Upgrades. MQ2 valve does up the resale a lot. Most of us just love the good ol' days and don't want part with them or try to scrounge up parts and ect.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:21 PM #19
wllbkr

There I still demand I want 2 one blackmagik size and one standard. When I called compulsive they said they were out and I was the third person that day to call
wllbkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:22 PM #20
Sandridge
Go Bucks!

The e-cocker market is good right now. Parts are still available - NDZ makes new frames still. Tadao makes boards for cockers. There is high demand - I have no problems selling eBalades on eBay...

When it comes to putting a $125 dollar valve in a gun - AKA tornado valves sell for $70-80 new and up to $70 used... For a mech valve! Look at pump kits - a CCM kit sells for up to $200.

There isn't much logic to an autococker fanactics purchasing... Cost/performance for a cocker isn't as good as other markers - but those that like them, spend on them. That is a fact. I just bought a $400 rare pump marker... From the proceeds of selling a karnivor.

Feedback: https://pbnation.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=302061
Items Forsale
Sandridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:36 PM #21
cfos00

Resale on used mq2 is 100, and those go quickly. If you build it, we will come.
cfos00 is offline   Reply With Quote