Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-29-2009, 08:50 PM #22
hansolo8221

has been a member for 10 years
The tap is a hand-tap. They do make tapping attachments for mills, but those only accommodate smaller taps, and run about $150 (plus you need a mill to use it on). A CNC mill could also be programmed to run the tap automatically, but again, you need a CNC mill for that. So, for your purposes you'll be looking at doing it by hand.

Not trying to throw more negativity at you, but it is not going to be as easy as just running the tap through a hole. Boring out close to a 1" hole, with a square shoulder on the bottom, is also going to be very difficult to do without the proper equipment.

Without going through the hassle of boring and tapping your own threads, but still being able to use threaded barrels, you might look into something like this. If you don't know, the barrel thread section on a Tippmann A-5 is actually a separate piece, that gets held into the receiver when the marker is assembled. You could use one of these, they would be very easy to modify to attach to your custom body, then you could use a standard threaded barrel. The adapters would also let you use either A-5 barrel threads, or they make them with Spyder, Cocker, and possibly other threads as well.

Last edited by hansolo8221 : 11-29-2009 at 08:55 PM.
hansolo8221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-29-2009, 10:25 PM #23
Ydna
timetraveler

Ydna is a Supporting Member
Ydna is BST Trusted
Ydna works for a Paintball manufacturer
For those cocker threads you just need something close to 0.875" diameter before tapping, so a large 7/8" endmill plunged down the correct depth (1.24-1.25) would do it. You woudl need the endmill first though, which would run you a pretty penny for such a large thing. It's easier to produce this bore with cheaper tools on a lathe, but you'd need a lathe for that.

The tap itself will be fine operated by hand, I mean if you had the body all indexed up on a mill and you knew it was concentric to the hole you just plunge-endmilled, you could powertap it with the mill...but it would just save you like 5 minutes of elbow grease.

As told by Stobaeus
...someone who had begun to learn geometry with Euclid, when he had learnt the first theorem, asked Euclid "What shall I get by learning these things?" Euclid called his slave and said "Give him threepence since he must make gain out of what he learns".
Ydna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:28 PM #24
cs900
Mr. Meeseeks

cs900 supports our troops
cs900 supports DLX Technology
cs900 supports Shocker RSX
you can usually find cheap, used endmills on ebay that would get you where you need to be.
cs900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:51 PM #25
Leafy
Uses the man pedal

Leafy helped look for balloons
random fact, the lathe is the only machine that can self replicate (with the help of a machinist)
Gear Bag Sale!

Feedback More Feedback
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:59 PM #26
cs900
Mr. Meeseeks

cs900 supports our troops
cs900 supports DLX Technology
cs900 supports Shocker RSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
random fact, the lathe is the only machine that can self replicate (with the help of a machinist)
check out the reprap!
cs900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:00 PM #27
Leafy
Uses the man pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs900 View Post
check out the reprap!
I dont think that can make ic's.
Gear Bag Sale!

Feedback More Feedback
Old 12-02-2009, 10:46 AM #28
broken_system

Random question, anyone ever try resizing pvc or other plastic pipe for use as a barrel?
Old 12-02-2009, 11:31 AM #29
Leafy
Uses the man pedal

it would be really thin, although I guess you could put freak inserts into 3/4 inch pvc, it would be kind of a loose fit but an oring groove and some fort of stopper to stop it from sliding forward might work.
Gear Bag Sale!

Feedback More Feedback
Old 12-09-2009, 01:56 PM #30
Judowarrior

you could try your hand at carbon fiber. take a barrel and fill it with something like spray foam. you may have to sacrifice the barrel to get the form out. wrap the foam in a layer of packaging tape, careful not to overlap. wrap the form with carbon fiber (i dont know how strong fiberglass would be). after it sets use acetone to melt out the foam form. just take into account the thickness of the tape will enlarge bore size.
Judowarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:39 AM #31
Thorpydo
dede!

Thorpydo is a founding member
"I dont think that can make ic's."

So tell me, how does a lathe make a motor for itself? Or are we assuming its belt driven off the factory

Thanks for that reprap tidbit. Looks like a lot of fun and I'm considering making one.

/threadjack
Thorpydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:40 PM #32
silent2895
08 EGO!!!

haha
Old 12-10-2009, 10:32 PM #33
Leafy
Uses the man pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpydo View Post
So tell me, how does a lathe make a motor for itself? Or are we assuming its belt driven off the factory
\
lathes make it easy to do windings.
Gear Bag Sale!

Feedback More Feedback
Old 12-11-2009, 06:29 AM #34
Dawn_of_Man (Banned)

How would you hone it smooth enough to work as a barrel?
Dawn_of_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:53 AM #35
ccluff2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpydo View Post
"I dont think that can make ic's."

Thanks for that reprap tidbit. Looks like a lot of fun and I'm considering making one.

/threadjack
The lathe that makes itself does not have to be electric. It could be hand/manually operated or by wind, steam, flowing water... ect.
********NOW AVAILABLE*************
Tool-less low pressure shocker bolt guides
*****Comming soon**** $45-55.
ccluff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:53 PM #36
Joe Trumbo

Joe Trumbo owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
well my friend took a piece of aluiminum, melted it down then spun it. lol its 6 inches but suprisingly works
Joe Trumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:23 PM #37
S1cK_NaStY
Undercover mod

S1cK_NaStY is playing at Living Legends III
S1cK_NaStY owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
S1cK_NaStY owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
S1cK_NaStY supports Team VICIOUS
By making your own barrel you will NOT save money if thats your intention hence why 1 off parts cost more than production parts. But if I were to make a custom barrel I would use a lathe. Put a .500 drill in the tail stock and drill it through, then use a boring bar to boar the hole to say .675. I say .675 because you wont get a perfect finish and will need to leave a little material to remove by shoving a carbide ball through that is .688 or .690 or whatever size you were to buy. Doing that will result in an extremely nice finish and would apear to be micro-honed. I would do a 2 peice barrel because its very hard to get a 12 inch hole to not have tolerance deviations through out it. You could thread it on a lathe or buy a tap and die. As far as using a drill press, that would be ok for the porting but thats it. You could however use a mill that has an adjustable z axis because those are usualy really accurate if used right.
Ramsey #69
IoWa BalleR
official I quit sale https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3730378
S1cK_NaStY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:31 PM #38
p3ngu!n
oh looky, a penguin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1cK_NaStY View Post
By making your own barrel you will NOT save money if thats your intention hence why 1 off parts cost more than production parts. But if I were to make a custom barrel I would use a lathe. Put a .500 drill in the tail stock and drill it through, then use a boring bar to boar the hole to say .675. I say .675 because you wont get a perfect finish and will need to leave a little material to remove by shoving a carbide ball through that is .688 or .690 or whatever size you were to buy. Doing that will result in an extremely nice finish and would apear to be micro-honed. I would do a 2 peice barrel because its very hard to get a 12 inch hole to not have tolerance deviations through out it. You could thread it on a lathe or buy a tap and die. As far as using a drill press, that would be ok for the porting but thats it. You could however use a mill that has an adjustable z axis because those are usualy really accurate if used right.
this and everything cs900 said.

but shouldn't you actually leave some extra room to further hone the barrel??? like cut to .683 (if you want .685) and then hone it .685 by a form of polishing???

sorry, not that knowledgeable.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:51 AM #39
bmali98

you could get a piece of 1" pvc pipe from a hardware store. The internal dia. fits paint pretty good. Drill lots of porting in it with your drill press if you want and find a way of attatching it to your marker. TA DA, barrel made with drill press. If i get really bored i might make an entire marker out of pvc pipe, but for now this will have to do...[img width=150 height=128]http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/696/img0119qi2.th.jpg[/img]
As for a barrel with the inside dia drilled on a drill press, you could.
It would be really short and drill a hole slightly smaller than your finished dia. and hone the crap out of it with a brake hone (bottle brush) or use a reamer after you drill. Sure its doable but for the effort it takes you might be better off just getting a piece of stock with a hole already in it.
bmali98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:39 PM #40
AngryChameleon
AngryChameleon

AngryChameleon is playing at Living Legends VIII
AngryChameleon owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
AngryChameleon has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
AngryChameleon has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I'm going to jump in on this one, even though I'm a bit late. I have made 2 custom barrels, neither of which are very good. The first one was made by taking a 2x2in piece of aluminum, that was 12in long, and taking it to the local metal works shop. For 10 bucks, they made it a tube, .688. Took a lathe, and made some custom threads, and it worked.. but not very well. Second was the PVC pipe idea. Bought the 3/4 inch i believe, fits a paintball around .685, and made some threads on it. It looks hilarious on the field, but people get a kick out of it. It shoots, but again, not accuratly.. Have fun, and be creative.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:13 PM #41
THATpbGUY14

Make a barrel out of PVC I have three for my mini an sofar one for my a-5. You would also need a tap and dye set
THATpbGUY14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:33 PM #42
Zman9398
APOCALYPSE

Zman9398 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Zman9398 is for the Gunfight
Zman9398 posts videos on PbNation
Zman9398 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Zman9398 supports DLX Technology
Use a drill press for the inside and shave the outside down with a lathe then buff it out
All your guys flashy colors and girls with 50 cal. amunition belts wrapped around them with their bikinis on! I realized I need bring it to the next level. I still haven't thought of how to but for now I'm clueless

SPUMP THREAD

http://https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?p=73584031#post73584031
Zman9398 is offline   Reply With Quote