Community Focus

Old 01-13-2013, 02:27 AM #22
Twizy

has been a member for 10 years
Twizy owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Twizy supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by atm743 View Post
im sorry "close" to the same thing. but yeah i understand its not the actual mini.

as for retail disk, they dont sell them anymore its all digital now.
Do you even use a Mac? In order to get OSX mountain lion, you have to already have a version of OSX working and running on your machine. The $20 is ONLY for the UPGRADE. You'd have to be stupid to think that $20 is for the full OS, especially coming from Apple!
Twizy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2013, 03:08 AM #23
atm743

atm743 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twizy View Post
Do you even use a Mac? In order to get OSX mountain lion, you have to already have a version of OSX working and running on your machine. The $20 is ONLY for the UPGRADE. You'd have to be stupid to think that $20 is for the full OS, especially coming from Apple!
i have an air and no, its not an upgrade. made a boot stick http://lifehacker.com/5928780/how-to...sb-flash-drive

did a clean install when upgrading to 10.8 from 10.7. they dont sell the osx like windows. they just sell it over the mac app store. if you have an older mac can use mountain lion anyway just have to stick with lion. which is still 20 bucks. its hidden in the mac apple store. there's a trick to get it to show. just google it. apparently, you guys think im anti apple or something so just move on. i wont post about making an hackintosh anymore.

get this thread back on track. i do want to see how this turns out. a little I7 mac mini + 16gigs of ram. would love to see how well it does encoding as well as its temps

Last edited by atm743 : 01-13-2013 at 03:11 AM.
atm743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:22 AM #24
Burninator
Mega Moderator

Burninator is a Mega Moderator
Burninator is a Supporting Member
Burninator is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Burninator has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Burninator is Legendary
Quote:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129185

what i would use. yes its not all aluminium. but its a nice case. the bottom is just a stupid vertical stand (like a wii system) just sit it down flat like the mac mini or cool thing is that it comes with a versa mount so you can mount it behind a tv or monitor.

here are the other parts
ram
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145339
motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128567
cpu
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116405
HDD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136927

yes the cpu is not a quad core. can get a quad core for 100 more
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116782

397 for the dual core set up or $502 for quad core kit

http://www.tonymacx86.com/home.php all you'r needs to getting mac working perfect on this motherboard

what kind of power uses are you plan on doing with it? video/picture editing and encoding??
How would i run the dual monitor setup i have? I concede that it would be CLOSE. One thing you are overlooking is the cost of windows, then shipping all of that. I contend that after that, it would come close to the same amount i paid for it. FYI, I didnt actually even pay $750, i paid less than that. I got it for $750 after my employee discount.

I plan on doing alot of my simulation software and MATLAB GUI's that have been killing my computers.

Quote:
Osx is 20 bucks? Off Mac app store

Why is everyone taking my post as he's dumb he should do this?
Thats a good question. I feel like i should be more offended than i am. lol

Quote:
get this thread back on track. i do want to see how this turns out. a little I7 mac mini + 16gigs of ram. would love to see how well it does encoding as well as its temps
Got the 16gb of ram the other day and installed. Waiting for SSD and install kit. Thats where the pictures will be coming

Last edited by Burninator : 01-13-2013 at 07:25 AM.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:15 PM #25
Burninator
Mega Moderator

Burninator is Legendary
Alright. Got everything installed and its up and running with the SSD as the boot drive. I have pictures of some of the install and some kind of interesting stuff.

If anyone knows an app or something that will benchmark it I would be interested to see how it rates now.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:15 PM #26
atm743

atm743 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Alright. Got everything installed and its up and running with the SSD as the boot drive. I have pictures of some of the install and some kind of interesting stuff.

If anyone knows an app or something that will benchmark it I would be interested to see how it rates now.
http://www.primatelabs.com/geekbench/

or

http://www.maxon.net/products/cinebench/overview.html
Old 01-16-2013, 08:32 AM #27
Burninator
Mega Moderator

Burninator is Legendary
Ill see if i cant mess with it a little more and post some pictures.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:33 AM #28
Burninator
Mega Moderator

Burninator is Legendary
on a side note. Anyone have any advice on how to delete the previous drive to make it storage? If not, ill try to come home after school and work on it i suppose.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:49 AM #29
cameron122000
*714*

cameron122000 helped look for balloons
cameron122000 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
on a side note. Anyone have any advice on how to delete the previous drive to make it storage? If not, ill try to come home after school and work on it i suppose.
Disk Manager and then reformat it?

ST:Tech - waitwut.
cameron122000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:05 PM #30
Burninator
Mega Moderator

Burninator is Legendary
I tried that, says failed to unmount disk
Old 01-16-2013, 05:12 PM #31
Burninator
Mega Moderator

Burninator is Legendary
there we go, i got it now. I had to unmount the disk and some program was using it. I dont know what it was, but i just forced quit it and formatted.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:59 AM #32
Burninator
Mega Moderator

Burninator is Legendary
Finally some pictures, right? So i Just wanted to take pictures of the things that were a little different. I didnt want to make like a photo log of every step i took. I realize after the fact, my glass desk kind of makes it hard to see what is going on in the pictures since you can see to the floor.

This is Something a little different. That connector is the one everyone breaks when doing this. That connects the IR sensor to the logic board. The trick is that its actually pressed down and not plugged in, if that makes sense. So most people try to pull it back out and it breaks. You have to have like a little hook tool to pry up evenly to get it out without breaking.

So i read many times that i wanted to mount the solid state where the original drive is and mount the old drive in the bottom bracket. So this is a picture of the very end actually. The airport radio piece has a lip on it and you have to pull it up so that the screws will mount correctly on the airport. I had to use a paperclip to pull up the middle of the mesh to get it to mount in the groove and i scratched the <del><del>****</del></del> out of the SSD.

This is a picture of the new drive and the old drive still in the mounting bracket.

I was actually really impressed by how small and light the SSD was. It felt like their was nothing in the case. I was almost worried i had bought an empty shell or something. lol

Here you can see some of the parts from the mini. Thats the new drive, old drive and the logic board all out of the shell

This is the guts of the mini. Thats what it looks like with everything out. Thats the little plastic frame that holds the upper drive up and the lower drive in place if you get the server mini. You can see theres a little bit of electronics on the end of the bracket, that pushes into the HD light and then the power supply pushes into that and its another mounting place for the power supply. One of the cool things i noticed was how pieces are mounting pieces for other pieces. Thats kind of different than what you would expect. Example, The HD mount plugs into the socket for the HD light in the frame, then the power supply plugs into the mount HD mount.

Those are actually all of the screws required to get all the way to the bottom. Thats the fan and the airport part that sit in the bottom of the mini. It took me longer to get the airport part back into the frame than it did to get the mini apart. I had to start searching to figure out what i had messed up and read about the paperclip trick. Apparently there is less than 1mm tolerance to the lip of the mini and the u shape in the mesh of the airport piece.

On another unrelated note. This is my friend Jim wearing the fastenal box of shame somewhere around 2am of finals the day the final was due. He kept trying to say that this power system problem we were working on was equal to another problem we were looking at. Turns out it was 2 different problems that differed by 1 word that made them totally different answers. It took us 3 hours to work the problem out and find the equations only to realize he was omitting that word to make it seem right. Sleep deprived and pretty much brain dead from the earlier final we took, we came up with the idea of the dunce box for making us spend hours doing it wrong. After we turned in the final at 10am he wore the box into the parking lot and took a nap in his car with it on. I had a picture of that, but he erased it off my phone a couple of days ago.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:14 AM #33
Burninator
Mega Moderator

Burninator is Legendary
got winders installed. Now i just have to go back and transfer back all the programs i needed. lol
Old 01-22-2013, 09:26 AM #34
cameron122000
*714*

It looks like a massive pain in the *** to get everything installed into the Mini since it's so small.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:08 PM #35
GlittermekaiN
Propah Noize

GlittermekaiN has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I've been thinking about making some changes to my Mid-2011 iMac, and also of getting a Mac Mini with storage upgrades for an HTPC. I love the way they look.

I also don't fully understand what an Apple TV does, but if it's a media-stream box, I'd happily pay $99 for that, instead of $800 for a mini.

If you don't already have something for it, rEFIt is a great manager to choose boot OS. I had some issues getting bootcamp to cooperate, but got that in and everything went great.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:12 PM #36
Olsenb

Olsenb owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Olsenb has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Olsenb has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Olsenb has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlittermekaiN View Post
I also don't fully understand what an Apple TV does, but if it's a media-stream box, I'd happily pay $99 for that, instead of $800 for a mini.
An Apple TV is just like a media box you can stream Netflix or Hulu plus on you can also make it mirror your iPad/iPhone. I have one. Just use Hulu and Netflix beats paying 80 a month for TV.
Olsenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:17 PM #37
GlittermekaiN
Propah Noize

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olsenb View Post
An Apple TV is just like a media box you can stream Netflix or Hulu plus on you can also make it mirror your iPad/iPhone. I have one. Just use Hulu and Netflix beats paying 80 a month for TV.
I've used my PS3 with media server programs before. Is the Apple TV capable of doing that? Hooking it into a network and having it broadcast stored movies.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:27 PM #38
cameron122000
*714*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlittermekaiN View Post
I've used my PS3 with media server programs before. Is the Apple TV capable of doing that? Hooking it into a network and having it broadcast stored movies.
Yeah, but I think the video files need to be supported. Also might require special software to stream from Windows.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:29 PM #39
GlittermekaiN
Propah Noize

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron122000 View Post
Yeah, but I think the video files need to be supported. Also might require special software to stream from Windows.
Cool. I've got a streamer on my iMac that I use to broadcast to my iPad. Live conversion and all. I guess it would just be getting it to work. Now, to buy a TV to use it with.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:52 PM #40
parkrats
I am a master trickster.

Nice, since they finally gave those quad core i7s they look awesome. I would add a SSD to mine if I ever got one but I got a new MBA over summer.

parkrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:55 PM #41
Burninator
Mega Moderator

Burninator is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron122000 View Post
It looks like a massive pain in the <del>***</del> to get everything installed into the Mini since it's so small.
it wasnt that bad. Ill say that taking apart an iphone 4s for screen replacement was much worse. It had some quirks but after years of building PC's it was a nice change of pace and actually a challenge instead of being the same old thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olsenb View Post
connect apple TV to TV through HDMI. It will screen mirror from iphone 4,4s,5 and any ipad. It will also mirror any mountain lion computer. You can look through any contents bought using the apple id attached to the device. You can also home share to use the phone as a remote and things like that. I think thats about as close to media as you are going to get.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:22 AM #42
BlitzPA9

BlitzPA9 is a founding member
ATV + AirVideo + AirPlay is an amazing combo. From my iphone or ipad mini I can open airvideo to play movies from my server in any format and send it to the ATV via airplay. The quality is way beyond what I expected. Airplay is a fancy little piece of technology and I didn't fully understand it at first. After running XBMC for 10 years I was waiting patiently for the ATV3 jailbreak but now I don't think I need XBMC anymore.
BlitzPA9 is offline   Reply With Quote