Old 02-01-2009, 01:04 AM #1
Exilict

Exilict is a Supporting Member
Exilict is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Exilict donated to help Peyton Trent
Exilict plays in the APPA D4 division
How are classifications being handeled in the USPL

I have read on a few sites now where the USPL is referring to PSP rankings through the APPA. Yet as far as I can tell the USPL is not using the APPA as their system for rankings. Which I guess could be extended to "Should the USPL be using APPA information that they are not buying?" (If in fact that is the case, not accusing, just asking)

With the NPPL rankings tied up in court (at least that is what I am told) how is the USPL going to stop sandbagging across the league?

-X
Exilict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2009, 01:08 AM #2
US Paintball League

There are a few options out there in regards to classifications/registration; and not one is perfect for us given the situation that the NPPL classifications are tied up in court. The registration company which the NPPL used has those classifications, but only those classifications. APPA has extensive classifications for just about every league except for the NPPL. And of course there are companies from other industries who would love to work with us, but have no database at all. We are in talks with these companies to determine the best option for the players. A decision will be made within the next 5 days. I will be sure to post on here as soon as this information is finalized.
US Paintball League is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:48 AM #3
DisasterPlayer

DisasterPlayer plays in the USPL
DisasterPlayer plays in the PSP
DisasterPlayer plays in the APPA D3 division
dont use appa please
Old 02-01-2009, 11:50 AM #4
US Paintball League

Can you elaborate on this? Just want to find out what cons are out there please - thanks!
US Paintball League is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:59 AM #5
pmac2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterPlayer View Post
dont use appa please
Maybe it would be ok But using psp rankings really doesnt sound fair to those who only play 7-man.

The formats are completely diffrent!
Old 02-01-2009, 12:25 PM #6
Exilict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmac2002 View Post
Maybe it would be ok But using psp rankings really doesnt sound fair to those who only play 7-man.

The formats are completely different!
So you would be ok with Pro's in the PSP playing entry level 7-man because the format is totally different, correct?
Old 02-01-2009, 01:00 PM #7
pmac2002

^^valid point b ut how many psp players lean on ramping and have no real gun skills? not all but there are alot!

but that is a valid point
Old 02-01-2009, 01:23 PM #8
Exilict

Quote:
^^valid point b ut how many psp players lean on ramping and have no real gun skills? not all but there are alot!

About as many people in the NPPL use illegal boards.

-X
Old 02-01-2009, 01:54 PM #9
BunkerKing5291
Hate.Heart.Love.

BunkerKing5291 plays in the USPL
BunkerKing5291 plays in the PSP
BunkerKing5291 is an NCPA player
Quote:

I love when people say that ramping = no gun skills. Walking a trigger is a gun skill? Gave me a laugh.

SUNY Oswego Rush NCPA Alumni
BunkerKing5291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:56 PM #10
Sharpie_H8
Show. No. Love.

Sharpie_H8 plays in the PSP
Sharpie_H8 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerKing5291 View Post
I love when people say that ramping = no gun skills. Walking a trigger is a gun skill? Gave me a laugh.
if i can shoot faster than you when snapping out, im gonna have a better chance to hit you, considering everything else is even. its called the law of probability...
Stuntin but never frontin, since 91.
Sharpie_H8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:00 PM #11
Exilict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie_H8 View Post
if i can shoot faster than you when snapping out, im gonna have a better chance to hit you, considering everything else is even. its called the law of probability...
So if I am standing in a box, you shooting 1000pbs has a better chance of hitting me then someone shooting 10bps?

And since when is everyone even? Hell if we are all even lets just have 1 classification and only 3 teams get great prizes.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:04 PM #12
BunkerKing5291
Hate.Heart.Love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie_H8 View Post
It doesn't matter how many balls your shooting at someone, Its the skill of snapping not speed of a gun.

Back on topic:

I was talking to a teamate of mine today and I thought to myself, Is there anyway to get the old rankings from nppl players and try to work out something with that, or are thoese lost?

Old 02-01-2009, 02:05 PM #13
pmac2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerKing5291 View Post
not meant to start trouble with ramping i have done both like both just an opion I have seen first hand xball player play 7man and it takes some time to understand oops we lost that point in xball it can be corrected on the next point.

But there are no do overs in 7man...again just my opinion!
Old 02-01-2009, 02:08 PM #14
BunkerKing5291
Hate.Heart.Love.

Quote:
not meant to start trouble with ramping i have done both like both just an opion I have seen first hand xball player play 7man and it takes some time to understand oops we lost that point in xball it can be corrected on the next point.

I know what your saying but thats completely different from the idea of ramping.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:13 PM #15
ptk22

ptk22 donated to help Peyton Trent
i think he is referring to the way some kids think they're running and gunning but they are just shooting all over at 13bps hoping to hit a bad guy just my opinion
ptk22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:18 PM #16
BunkerKing5291
Hate.Heart.Love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptk22 View Post
i think he is referring to the way some kids think they're running and gunning but they are just shooting all over at 13bps hoping to hit a bad guy just my opinion
Ya true. I understand the whole mindset of formats. Xball is fast. 7 man is more slowed down strategic. But we where on the topic of gun ramping not format of games.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:20 PM #17
triggerhappy13

Quote:

they r 2 different styles games xball the shove it down their throat momentum game more of a grind where u take big chances

or the 7man which is a more prcision based staying alive version of the game

no game is inferior to each other they both have different styles, and u should not be so quick to judge

gun skills?, if ur GOOD in any paintball format then u have gun skills rampin does not lower them it just makes it easier fo ur fingers u still got to point and shoot at the target
triggerhappy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 02:22 PM #18
BunkerKing5291
Hate.Heart.Love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerhappy13 View Post
they r 2 different styles games xball the shove it down their throat momentum game more of a grind where u take big chances

or the 7man which is a more prcision based staying alive version of the game

no game is inferior to each other they both have different styles, and u should not be so quick to judge

gun skills?, if ur GOOD in any paintball format then u have gun skills rampin does not lower them it just makes it easier fo ur fingers u still got to point and shoot at the target
Hahaha.

So my questions isn't skipped:

I was talking to a teamate of mine today and I thought to myself, Is there anyway to get the old rankings from nppl players and try to work out something with that, or are thoese lost?

Old 02-01-2009, 02:44 PM #19
ZenMike
OX AGGRSSN

ZenMike plays in the USPL
ZenMike plays in the PSP
ZenMike supports our troops
ZenMike plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by US Paintball League View Post
Can you elaborate on this? Just want to find out what cons are out there please - thanks!
I think the biggest problem is how to deal with the missing player histories. I know of players who played 2008 in the NPPL with D1 and semi-pro teams and played with D3 teams at PSP's World Cup because they are ranked D3 and D4 in the PSP.

In the long run I think a single player database is best, but switching and loosing the entire history from the NPPL could cause a real problem for a couple seasons in the lower divisions.

If the NPPL database just isn't available then there may not be a better option, but the transition year could be rough.
ZenMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:35 PM #20
magicsly1
Bryan

magicsly1 is a Supporting Member
magicsly1 plays in the PSP
magicsly1 donated to help Peyton Trent
Everyone needs to get back on topic. This isn't Xball vs. 7-man thread or ramping vs. semi. It is about the ranking system USPL will be using.

I believe using APPA is the wisest decision. It is universal and actually keeps track of a players history. I can tell you I played on a Pro team last year in 7 man (I did not) and I would have no way of proving it, or you disproving it.

Raehl has worked on the APPA system for years and the XPSL even used this system. The only reason it was never utilized is due to Shawn Walkers greed. He tried to mimic the system by copying the APPA process and sell it for his own gain.

This was a huge problem and now can finally be corrected. The USPL seems to be making a lot of steps in the right direction and using the APPA system would only help further their commitment to a great league for their players to play in.

Last edited by magicsly1 : 02-01-2009 at 09:24 PM.
magicsly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 03:46 PM #21
the other one
Goldy

the other one supports our troops
To make it a LOT easier on players to play multiple leagues, and for everyone to save money....

I say use the APPA.

If you CAN get the rankings from the NPPL at any time, they can just be implemented into the APPA system, right? Just work out a deal where you can at any time add in previous ranking data to their system.

If you can NOT get the rankings from the NPPL, then it'd be smart to loosely base the new rankings for the USPL on the PSP's rankings. It'd be very difficult for a palyer to play D1 in one league while claiming to be D3 in another. This would help level things out. Maybe put a "one division difference" cap on players, so that if someone plays D1 in one league, they cannot be classified as anything below D2. This would be the most fair (in my opinion) for players that aren't used to playing the different formats, but would also prevent too much sandbagging.

For players that haven't played PSP tournaments before, and try to sandbag due to the loophole that is created by not having previous NPPL rankings.... well.... as soon as the previous rankings are released, issue some major penalties to players that are in violation to it.

Also, the money issue... when my old team played PSP and NPPL, we found it kind of ridiculous to pay for two registration systems. It cost us a lot of money... and a big hassle at the beginning of the season to get all the registration stuff sorted out. It's a pain to register twice, it's a pain to get two ID's, it's a pain to pay twice for the same thing....

So if we can unify it, it'll be cheaper for players, easier for players, more efficient for small teams and individual players, etc.... I really think it's a good idea.

And if you don't like the way the APPA does something... well.... you're a major customer, and you can get things changed. That's the beauty of it. A system exists that is working for a few leagues... so you should be able to jump in on it and use it to your advantage, and the advantage of us all.

tl;dr - use APPA.

the other one is offline   Reply With Quote