I think religion is a main factor that prevents the world from world peace
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2006, 07:58 PM #23
Reformedcaptn
Fighting with bats!

Reformedcaptn is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Religion is why the terrorists don't like the US they think that there religion in the one true religion and if people don't convert then they should die (only talking about the radical Islams)
Old 12-06-2006, 08:02 PM #24
Point|ess
Metal Face Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayedPbPlayer View Post
I think religion is a main factor that prevents the world from world peace
I think greed, hate, jealousy, and pride are natural human emotions that prevent world peace moreso than a group of people who share a common belief of a creator. In fact I believe most religions preach against such things.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:13 PM #25
visionimpulse2k3

I just did a sociological literature review (im in college) and it said religion lowers violent tendencies in adolescents..
Old 12-06-2006, 09:30 PM #26
Truthiness

Hey now, I'm an atheist and I don't think religion is all bad.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:40 PM #27
X_Paint
Once dead, now alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
Religions are a joke. Why the hell do we have a subforum for made up ****?
So that people can come in and express their opinion. It also keeps the politics subforum a little cleaner of off topic threads.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:44 PM #28
X_Paint
Once dead, now alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchBinKaseBrot View Post
Ha! Yeah, such advancements that have made it easier for mankind to destroy each other. Thanks science...

Overbear, if anything you should blame your own homosexuality for the perpetuating of religion. Think about it; what does the church require of its servants? Chaste individuals who acknowledge the pangs of their own guilt and seek to make recompense for it. So what better way to serve a religion, which would otherwise damn them for what they are, in hopes to find forgiveness. Plus as an added bonus they are surrounded by countless members of the same sex, which would only serve as a temptation of their wicked ways to fight to prove their righteousness to God. By supressing their own sexual urges and condeming those who don't, why they are only doing what they feel is right. Seriously, do you think a straight man would truely deny his own sexual desires and tendencies? To never know the touch of a woman? If you believe that then you should look under your keyboard to see if someone wrote "gullible" on it...
What church would that be? We're free to Marry, date etc., etc. Perhaps you are genralizing.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:15 AM #29
IchBinKaseBrot
Oscar Whiskey

IchBinKaseBrot is a Supporting Member
Meh, when most "historians" refer to "the" church, they're referring to the roman catholic church but whatever...

Auburn Tigers
Portsmouth FC

Collegeandmagnolia.com - Corner of Auburn & the Internet
لا يوجد سلام على أبواب
Old 12-07-2006, 01:30 AM #30
tonyneedspills2
nutrider

religion was great. i think it still is pretty good. its just taken WAY to far. and has been. people need something to help themselves wake up everymorning and say "hey after all this ****, im going to heaven." gives you something to live for.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:19 AM #31
Gunny/Killa
thelilEngine/\thatCouldnt

You can basically say that almost any war ever fought have involved religion in some sort of way... Do I believe religion is the root of all good, then yes... Is it the root of all evil, then yes...
Old 12-07-2006, 07:28 AM #32
Overbear
#2 Anti Stim Club Member!

Overbear is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny/Killa View Post
You can basically say that almost any war ever fought have involved religion in some sort of way... Do I believe religion is the root of all good, then yes... Is it the root of all evil, then yes...
Wow talk about a name I aint seen in a while...

I don't know about that root of all good. I believe humanity at its core is good, and that outside influences like the church "create" the ideals of evil and start the problem in the first place.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Thomas Jefferson

A democracy is, two wolves and a sheep voting on dinner.
A republic is, two sheep and a wolf voting on dinner.
A constitutional republic is, voting on dinner is expressly forbidden and the sheep are armed.

Armed gays don't get bashed - www.pinkpistols.org

ssgaR: 'faith is the path of least resistance'."

Rapier7: Don't be a douche
Old 12-07-2006, 08:24 AM #33
paintballonaim (Banned)

paintballonaim is an NCPA player
paintballonaim plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbandfan View Post
You do realize there have been millions of humans killeed because of religion?
And millions more saved...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMW5 View Post
Edit-...I am stupid, what about battles fought over the centuries based on religion?
If not religion it would be over land, where you were born, sources of food, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Point|ess View Post
In fact I believe most religions preach against such things.
Yep - Every bad thing you see on the news is usually the extremists.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:14 AM #34
Overbear
#2 Anti Stim Club Member!

Overbear is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballonaim View Post
And millions more saved...

Yep - Every bad thing you see on the news is usually the extremists.
How so saved, please explain this. If you mean saved as in their "soul" then thats just MORE proof of the control, and coruption pushed apon humanity by religion. The very idea there is some mythical ghost in the clouds, who created everything, is all powerful but oh...made us with a soul we can loose to some mythical red skined pitchfork holding freak in the center of the earth...is just outright silly.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Thomas Jefferson

A democracy is, two wolves and a sheep voting on dinner.
A republic is, two sheep and a wolf voting on dinner.
A constitutional republic is, voting on dinner is expressly forbidden and the sheep are armed.

Armed gays don't get bashed - www.pinkpistols.org

ssgaR: 'faith is the path of least resistance'."

Rapier7: Don't be a douche
Old 12-07-2006, 09:26 AM #35
blueshifty
John - conscious paradox

What about animals? They are completely devoid of religion, yet they have specie on specie violence, provoked by much more primitive instincts. I think humans are inherently bad, but religion offers an accountability and reward for those who live just lives. I also believe extremist are evidence for the imperfection of man, as they can take peaceful and loving messages and turn them into a source of hatred.

Old 12-07-2006, 09:30 AM #36
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

RamboPreacher is a founding member
religion is good for humanity. the abuse of power and religion is not.
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:52 AM #37
motherhen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamboPreacher View Post
religion is good for humanity........
This is what I was thinking too.

So many of these organizations have become so common place that we forget they were started from folks trying to spread the love of Christ.

Quote:
I have yet to see even ONE good thing religion has brought to humanity
Several if not ALL charitable organizations were started as a direct result of religion being a very GOOD thing:

Salvation Army
UMCOR
Habitat for Humanity
St Vincent DePaul
St "anything" Hospitals
orphanages
Alcoholic Anonymous

Any more?

Last edited by motherhen : 12-07-2006 at 12:51 PM. Reason: added quote and Deleted Red Cross
Old 12-07-2006, 12:41 PM #38
Conqueror
ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

Conqueror is a Supporting Member
Conqueror supports Bob Gurnsey
Conqueror supports our troops
I think religion can be an engine for good works, and it sometimes is, but unfortunately humans tend to band together much more strongly against common enemies than they do on behalf of friends, and so I think far more people have died because of religion than have been saved by it.

Religion also provides psychological comfort. This is not essential to life, as non-religious people still manage to cope with adversity, but it does provide one method of outlet during hard times. I think this is probably the biggest reason why religions have endured; they are comforting to the adherents. If your son gets run over by a truck, it's more comforting to say "God called him home" than to say "Well, **** happens."

CQ
Old 12-07-2006, 12:44 PM #39
morca007

Bane of humanity. It has caused more, and bloodier wars than anything else.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:49 PM #40
Underfunded
Autonomous

Quote:
Originally Posted by morca007 View Post
Bane of humanity. It has caused more, and bloodier wars than anything else.
World war 1 was started because of an assasination and Europe's flawed alliance systems. It was fought, mostly, between Christians.
Vietnam was started over communism. Quite simple.
The American Revolution was started because of "taxation without representation".
The war of 1812 was started because the British were seizing American ships.
Must I go on?

My point: Politics is the bane of humanity. It has caused more, and bloodier wars than anything else. We should eliminate politics!
Old 12-07-2006, 12:54 PM #41
morca007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underfunded View Post
World war 1 was started because of an assasination and Europe's flawed alliance systems. It was fought, mostly, between Christians.
Vietnam was started over communism. Quite simple.
The American Revolution was started because of "taxation without representation".
The war of 1812 was started because the British were seizing American ships.
Must I go on?

My point: Politics is the bane of humanity. It has caused more, and bloodier wars than anything else. We should eliminate politics!
Only in recent history has the trend turned away from religion, and turned to economic trends.
I hate to use a Cliche example, but, honestly there isn't a more visceral example than the Crusades.

EDIT: To add to my intial assertion, we must look at a weighing mechanism to answer the question.
Does Religion (In general) do more harm, or more good?
Feel free to add to this list, or debate individual points.
Harms:
-Isolation of people into opposing factions
-Intolerance of those unlike themselves (Common, but does not apply to all religions)
-Blocks Scientific inquiry
-Inhibits personal freedom if allowed to have reign of a society
-Actively discourages logical thought (Faith is the basic underpinning of religion, and faith is belief in the absence of proof)

Benefits:
-Psycological comfort (Though this can be attained without religion, non-unique)
-Charitable works (again, non-unique, and can be done more effectively without the restriction placed up them by their religous benefactors)

Last edited by morca007 : 12-07-2006 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:15 PM #42
motherhen

I was replying to the original post of: "…..yet to see ONE good thing from religion.", so I listed a few "good things"

Just showing examples of the "good" religion does and will bring humanity.

I guess for me it comes down to is the "glass half full or empty", nothing more.