PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-05-2008, 04:26 AM #1
BigDaddie101 (Banned)

has been a member for 10 years
is this safe?

well my dad was 235lbs over the summer and in a month he bumped down to 200-195[all body fat]. his average diet consisted of hot dogs for breakfast, idk for lunch, and chicken wings for lunch-dinner and dinner. the way he did it was he did some marathon training schedule. like on the first monday hed run 3 miles, then on wed 4 miles, then fri 5miles and hed just keep increasing the number of miles every week. safe or no? i need to lose some weight and was wondering if this was a good idea.
BigDaddie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2008, 05:28 AM #2
Kolder
The Commish

Kolder is a Mega Moderator
Kolder is a Supporting Member
Kolder is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
Kolder is Immortal
Running is a great way to exercise. However, as any knowledgeable person will tell you in this forum it all starts with your diet. Eat garbage and you will be garbage.

██████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████
Kolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:24 AM #3
madgoat
Troll_Extraordinaire

madgoat has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
he lost about 10lbs of fat a week? I'm not buyin what your selling. that means he burned about 30,000 more calories a week than he consumed, or ~4,300 more a day. Even if he didn't eat at all, this would be near impossible. He lost water weight, and some muscle mass along with the fat. And the key to losing weight and maintaining the muscle mass you have is to eat healthy, and also aim to lose ~a pound a fat a week by eatin 500 less calories than you burn each day.
Old 10-05-2008, 12:08 PM #4
FL07
On High Alert

there is no way he didn't lose muscle. I have had similar periods of weight loss basically by doing 3-5 miles of running a day, and eating a lot of salad, but I definately lost muscle during those periods as well. Thats why this time around I am trying for a slower pace of weight loss and keep gaining muscle.

I don't think its unhealthy, I just don't think all he lost was pure fat.
FL07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:12 PM #5
Basbakhan

You may want to consider some type of elipitcal/precor/rowing. If you're overweight, starting a program of slow, long distance running will be extremely hard on your knees and ankles - speaking from experience.
Basbakhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:19 PM #6
OApb

OApb is for the Gunfight
OApb is for the Gunfight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basbakhan View Post
If you're overweight, starting a program of slow, long distance running will be extremely hard on your knees and ankles - speaking from experience.
True story. If you are at all overweight/obese you need to stay away from running. Any low-impact machine is your best bet like cycling, and elliptical, swimming is great, or rowing. running puts too much stress on your knees and will do more harm then good.

gearbag cleanout. Etha/rare jerseys and pants/dynasty shocker
OApb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:44 PM #7
Twenty4/7_Ep3
GangSTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat View Post
he lost about 10lbs of fat a week? I'm not buyin what your selling. that means he burned about 30,000 more calories a week than he consumed, or ~4,300 more a day. Even if he didn't eat at all, this would be near impossible. He lost water weight, and some muscle mass along with the fat. And the key to losing weight and maintaining the muscle mass you have is to eat healthy, and also aim to lose ~a pound a fat a week by eatin 500 less calories than you burn each day.
I did this my senior year for wrestling..

I went from 238 to 215 in like 3 weeks and gained weight on all my lifts while doing it. i took in 200 grams of protein a day amongst other things with a super healthy diet. and 2 weeks after that i was around 199-205 depending on when i stepped on the scale..

i was a little out of shape at 238 but i turned my body around from a gut to a six pack at 200. i benched 260+ at 200 and did like 230 when i started my weightloss

i have no idea how many calories i was burning a day at practice but i would practice would be atleast 3 hours long of pure hell and then i would run at night for another hour and then lift on my bowflex after. Protein protein protein. I was rarely sore and i was just dropping lbs like no ones business.
2013 Civic SI Street
Twenty4/7_Ep3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:53 PM #8
madgoat
Troll_Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty4/7_Ep3 View Post
I did this my senior year for wrestling..

I went from 238 to 215 in like 3 weeks and gained weight on all my lifts while doing it. i took in 200 grams of protein a day amongst other things with a super healthy diet. and 2 weeks after that i was around 199-205 depending on when i stepped on the scale..

i was a little out of shape at 238 but i turned my body around from a gut to a six pack at 200. i benched 260+ at 200 and did like 230 when i started my weightloss

i have no idea how many calories i was burning a day at practice but i would practice would be atleast 3 hours long of pure hell and then i would run at night for another hour and then lift on my bowflex after. Protein protein protein. I was rarely sore and i was just dropping lbs like no ones business.
Obviously I can't guarantee that what you lost wasn't all fat, but I'm pretty damn sure that you also lost alot of water weight and probably some muscle. Also, you were how old when you did this? I'm sure this guys dad is much older with a much slower metabolism and much lower testosterone level.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:55 PM #9
Twenty4/7_Ep3
GangSTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat View Post
Obviously I can't guarantee that what you lost wasn't all fat, but I'm pretty damn sure that you also lost alot of water weight and probably some muscle. Also, you were how old when you did this? I'm sure this guys dad is much older with a much slower metabolism and much lower testosterone level.
senior year, i was 17 at the time.. Yes i would be low on water weight at times but i was walking around at 205 lbs completly full because my weight class was 215 and i didnt want to be that light
2013 Civic SI Street
Twenty4/7_Ep3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:59 PM #10
madgoat
Troll_Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty4/7_Ep3 View Post
senior year, i was 17 at the time.. Yes i would be low on water weight at times but i was walking around at 205 lbs completly full because my weight class was 215 and i didnt want to be that light
k