Community Focus

Old 09-07-2009, 06:05 PM #148
||SoCaLkId||
.818ventkrew

has been a member for 10 years
||SoCaLkId|| plays in the USPL
||SoCaLkId|| plays in the PSP
||SoCaLkId|| plays in the APPA D3 division
The font you used for the canterbury thought society is hard to read. If this is a poster that is going to be put up at your school you shouldn't use fonts that are hard too hard to read because the students are just walking past.

also if this is going into print production i would suggest the color index by Jim Krause. It is a good source for color harmonies and anything that will be printed.

poster im working on for typography class...

LA Collision • Fast Five • R.I.P CS Union • Cobras
Steezy beanies for sale. pm me.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-07-2009, 07:03 PM #149
Overgrownm00se
Euphorically Oblivious

socalkid: I'd like to see the forward slashes end at the same height as the H in helvetica and L in lecture instead of the slight protrusion. Since they're touching, it feels to me like it would flow better if they were leveled off.

These are a simple little logo and business card for my Mom. I can't really get too crazy or stylish with them because... well, it is a farm after all. It's important to her to look all business and not worry about contemporary-ness. Logo still feels a little weak to me. I'm trying to come up with something new. I like the business cards though.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:28 PM #150
Genre
I just want to be free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ||SoCaLkId|| View Post
The font you used for the canterbury thought society is hard to read. If this is a poster that is going to be put up at your school you shouldn't use fonts that are hard too hard to read because the students are just walking past.

also if this is going into print production i would suggest the color index by Jim Krause. It is a good source for color harmonies and anything that will be printed.

poster im working on for typography class...

That was my main concern when I decided to use that font, but since the kids at my school don't know anything about typography (not that I know that much myself, but they go around slapping Papyrus and Comic Sans on everything), that type of font, which they have probably never seen before would be interesting enough to catch their attention. Like a little puzzle. I'm curious about what you think of my little plan.

Also, thanks for the tip on that book, I think I'll order it. It's good to have some design students, which I assume you are, in here every once in a while.

About your poster, I can't really come up with much critique beyond that I don't know what the square with the "+" sign in it means. It's right next to "of." I like the colors, and I like the flow.

Regarding the guy above me, the font style fits in my opinion, but it is a little hard to read. The logo itself is also just not exceptionally creative. Nothing about that card is memorable.

If you want some inspiration, http://digg.com/search?s=business+card .

"Unless we can make the philosophic foundations of a free society once more a living intellectual issue, and its implementation a task which challenges the ingenuity and imagination of our liveliest minds, the prospects of freedom are indeed dark. But if we can regain that belief in power of ideas which was the mark of liberalism at its best, the battle is not lost." - F. A. Hayek

Reason
Old 09-07-2009, 10:43 PM #151
||SoCaLkId||
.818ventkrew

||SoCaLkId|| plays in the USPL
||SoCaLkId|| plays in the PSP
||SoCaLkId|| plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overgrownm00se View Post
socalkid: I'd like to see the forward slashes end at the same height as the H in helvetica and L in lecture instead of the slight protrusion. Since they're touching, it feels to me like it would flow better if they were leveled off.
good eye. it does make it look a lot cleaner. thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genre View Post
That was my main concern when I decided to use that font, but since the kids at my school don't know anything about typography (not that I know that much myself, but they go around slapping Papyrus and Comic Sans on everything), that type of font, which they have probably never seen before would be interesting enough to catch their attention. Like a little puzzle. I'm curious about what you think of my little plan.

Also, thanks for the tip on that book, I think I'll order it. It's good to have some design students, which I assume you are, in here every once in a while.

About your poster, I can't really come up with much critique beyond that I don't know what the square with the "+" sign in it means. It's right next to "of." I like the colors, and I like the flow.
oh i took a screenshot of my work on illustrator and that plus is a text box that has too much text in it so it thats adobe illustrators little mark saying theirs more text than their is shown. but yeah, i would order that book off amazon... get it for like 3 bucks.

LA Collision • Fast Five • R.I.P CS Union • Cobras
Steezy beanies for sale. pm me.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:11 PM #152
ke0dakilla
-LH- BDWC

i get bored
Old 09-12-2009, 01:49 PM #153
Genre
I just want to be free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke0dakilla View Post

i get bored
I don't know how much of that you did, but assuming you started with a photograph, that's pretty nice. The text absolutely kills it though. The font does not fit the image at all. Work on the placement too.

"Unless we can make the philosophic foundations of a free society once more a living intellectual issue, and its implementation a task which challenges the ingenuity and imagination of our liveliest minds, the prospects of freedom are indeed dark. But if we can regain that belief in power of ideas which was the mark of liberalism at its best, the battle is not lost." - F. A. Hayek

Reason