PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-10-2006, 09:24 PM #1
drigerV88

has been a member for 10 years
What is the BEST religion

I know that everyone has their own opinions and all but if you could choose one religion including the one you currently are what would it be. Would it be because you think your lifesyle is most acustomed to it or is it because you truelly belive that this will enhance your inner spirituality the most?
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...5#post91021265
Email+PayPal: drigerV88@gmail.com
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2006, 09:30 PM #2
CAHunter

Well I'm sure everyone is just going to choose the religion or lack-of that they currently have. There's no point in having one and wishing you had a different one.

But personally, I believe in personal relationships with God. I would say Christianity, but today's definition of a Christian aren't exactly as they used to be.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:31 PM #3
SuperSupra619 (Banned)

sigh...
Old 12-10-2006, 09:34 PM #4
drigerV88

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHunter View Post
Well I'm sure everyone is just going to choose the religion or lack-of that they currently have. There's no point in having one and wishing you had a different one.

But personally, I believe in personal relationships with God. I would say Christianity, but today's definition of a Christian aren't exactly as they used to be.
of you saying christianity isnt what it use to be is very true and i see it everywhere. I just had this conversation in religion class and people say that its because of the way we do things. As you know we always grow up as a community we have confirmations and things like that together. Compaired to jewishpeople that have celebrations like their Barmitsfa (sry cant spell im not jewish) they get tons of money and i guesss... its taken into concideration as a self-sould more deeply. Also it could be stated that the MAJORETY (not all) of the people in North America have something to do with the Christian faith so what they do is they do all these things to "fit in". Christianity has become more of a fad but deep inside are we really proud of who we are?
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...5#post91021265
Email+PayPal: drigerV88@gmail.com
Old 12-10-2006, 09:47 PM #5
caseytmev3

There is no such thing as the "best" religion. For most of the world, there is two opinions when in comes to religion, either "my religion is the only true one", or "all religions are a crock of ****"
Old 12-10-2006, 10:24 PM #6
tuna

hmm, I think back to watching Thank You for Smoking the other day. Even if there was a "best" religion, by what measurements would it qualify as "best"? Is it most number of followers? How about average wealth of followers? How about the most accepting religion? And is any religion better or worse than no religion?
Old 12-10-2006, 11:15 PM #7
elTwitcho

There is no best. Reality is constructed by people's perceptions, and by extension we each live within the framework of our own realities that does not necessarily share the same characteristics as another person's reality. The religion that suits you best in your reality can't be applied easily to another person living in an entirely different reality than your own, so the question is moot.

I like Buddhism, it works for me
Because of small cock
Old 12-11-2006, 05:53 PM #8
Kellster
Pretentious Hipster

Atheism, some of the world's best leading intellectuals and scientists are atheists.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:56 PM #9
nanarmotettet
3 is a magic number

it is wise to listen to intellectuals on everything why not religon?
Old 12-11-2006, 06:01 PM #10
elTwitcho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellster View Post
Atheism, some of the world's best leading intellectuals and scientists are atheists.
So what? What does an intellectual or a scientist have to do with you figuring out your beliefs? You're willing to take advice from someone who's never met you, doesn't know you exist and never will give a second (or first) thought of you?

I personally should think that crudely apeing someone you think is better than you isn't a particularly compelling reason to pick your religious beliefs. If anything, it says you have so little knowledge of yourself, and so little understanding of your own needs, and so very little confidence in your own ability to chose that you will simply copy someone you think is your superior rather than make a decision.

Personally, I feel that is unfortunate.
Because of small cock
Old 12-11-2006, 06:12 PM #11
Sankarihauta

I'd vote for buddhism
Old 12-11-2006, 06:15 PM #12
chodeyg
sprezzatura

Quote:
Originally Posted by elTwitcho View Post
So what? What does an intellectual or a scientist have to do with you figuring out your beliefs? You're willing to take advice from someone who's never met you, doesn't know you exist and never will give a second (or first) thought of you?

I personally should think that crudely apeing someone you think is better than you isn't a particularly compelling reason to pick your religious beliefs. If anything, it says you have so little knowledge of yourself, and so little understanding of your own needs, and so very little confidence in your own ability to chose that you will simply copy someone you think is your superior rather than make a decision.

I've been an atheist for a while now. It is the product of near-endless self analysis. It doesn't have anything to do with what others say, but it is interesting that some of the smartest people in the world are athiests.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:16 PM #13
CAHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellster View Post
Well from what I've heard a few times, many of the leading Evolutionary scientists are Christian/believe in God.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:19 PM #14
elTwitcho

It's an interesting anecdote that some of the people you think are the smartest are atheists, but that's about it. Some of the people I most respect come from eastern religions and many of my favorite psychologists and philosophers approach things from a Buddhist point of view, but I don't think that's really the point. The point is that it's a pretty poorly conceived way to chose your faith by saying "hey, this guy is smarter than me so I bet what he decided is better than anything I could come up with, so I'll just copy him".
Because of small cock
Old 12-11-2006, 06:22 PM #15
chodeyg
sprezzatura

Quote:
It's an interesting anecdote that some of the people you think are the smartest are atheists, but that's about it. Some of the people I most respect come from eastern religions and many of my favorite psychologists and philosophers approach things from a Buddhist point of view, but I don't think that's really the point. The point is that it's a pretty poorly conceived way to chose your faith by saying "hey, this guy is smarter than me so I bet what he decided is better than anything I could come up with, so I'll just copy him".
I agree, however this entire thread is kinda silly. Therefore only relatively silly answers can be given. BTW, we both know that Christians would be rubbing it in people's faces if 94% of scientists were Christians.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:22 PM #16
Mps2216
Control Yourself

Quote:

You're assessment is a paradox in itself.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:26 PM #17
elTwitcho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mps2216 View Post
You're assessment is a paradox in itself.
Interesting, I think I know what you're getting at but please explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by chodeyg View Post
I agree, however this entire thread is kinda silly. Therefore only relatively silly answers can be given. BTW, we both know that Christians would be rubbing it in people's faces if 94% of scientists were Christians.
Maybe so, but that's dangerous and circular logic to use. If you were to rub it in a Christian person's face because you think they would rub it in your face, then a Christian person would be justified (under the logic we're talking about that is) in rubbing it in your face since it is the exact same thing you would do.
Because of small cock
Old 12-11-2006, 06:41 PM #18
Mps2216
Control Yourself

Quote:
Interesting, I think I know what you're getting at but please explain
I found it particularly funny that you gave him advice which essentially said "Don't take advice from someone who doesn't give a rat's *** about you". Based on my assumption that you don't give a rat's *** about him, the paradox becomes quite obvious.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:49 PM #19
elTwitcho

I figured that's where you were going with that

The only thing I told him was to make the decision himself, as opposed to having someone else make that decision for him. You're trying to say that he should let me decide for him to let him decide for himself which I guess if you want to argue semantics is technically true but isn't exactly applicable. Nonetheless, I think there's a pretty clear distinction between "do a instead of b" and "decide which of a or b you prefer".
Because of small cock
Old 12-11-2006, 06:58 PM #20
Mps2216
Control Yourself

Quote:
I figured that's where you were going with that

The only thing I told him was to make the decision himself, as opposed to having someone else make that decision for him. You're trying to say that he should let me decide for him to let him decide for himself which I guess if you want to argue semantics is technically true but isn't exactly applicable. Nonetheless, I think there's a pretty clear distinction between "do a instead of b" and "decide which of a or b you prefer".
The only problem is that you inherently eliminated the possibility that when considering "A" or "B", "A" might be (for this particular person) allowing for said unknown scientist to decide between "B" or "C". (One has to present "C" or said scientist would have no decision to make)
Old 12-11-2006, 07:04 PM #21
chodeyg
sprezzatura

Quote:

Maybe so, but that's dangerous and circular logic to use. If you were to rub it in a Christian person's face because you think they would rub it in your face, then a Christian person would be justified (under the logic we're talking about that is) in rubbing it in your face since it is the exact same thing you would do.
I don't go around bragging about it, I merely mentioned it where i felt it was applicable. But you have a good point there, I will remember that.