Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 05-26-2001, 09:52 PM #1
ghost271
Shooting MacDev

ghost271 is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
ghost271 posts videos on PbNation
Exclamation One more step towards banning Paintball

Well get this. I buy my paintball magazines at Chapters Bookstore and they always sell out of them. A few weeks ago I realized that they no longer had a 'Gun/Hunting' section where my Paintball mags are sold in and one of the employees said that they were discontinued.. I enquired management about this and he was unaware that they had even cancelled them. He asked about how many differant titles where discontinued and I said approximetley over a dozen. He said that the refusal to carry any magazines relating to firearms, knives, hunting, military would have been done from their head office back east. He also said that that they are not aloud to discriminate against what titles are brought in for the consumer but this is clearly the case in this circumstance. I also complained that they want to cancell my Paintball Magazines but want to keep magazines on how to grow your pot better on the shelves. Somethings wrong here. I also found out that the Canadian government (RCMP) has been going into shops that sell Airsoft guns and confiscating them. What is this Liberal/Communist country coming to? I thought this was a Democracy. What gives them the right to tell it's law abidding citizens that they can't play their adventure sports or collect look alike firearms. One step closer to a total ban. Tell me what you think and any suggestions as to what should be done.
-Ronin Cyborg RX #4,Olive 07 Borg,2xBlk 07 Borg,Digi-Cam Droid
-Max'd 'DM3'
-Mint Tippmann .68 Special, 2xLB Nightmare,Nelspot 007
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-26-2001, 10:12 PM #2
rukus

and how is this getting paintball banned...?
Old 05-26-2001, 10:54 PM #3
Tapion

Unhappy

Is so sad to find out that some people are ignorant of what paintball really is. They just look at the equipment and rapidly get into the conclusion that they are dangerous and they must be made ilegal. Ignorant as they are, they don't realize that any sporting equipment can be dangerous if not used properly, just take for instance archery and even baseball bats, aren't they used to beat off people? What is so different of a paintball marker that shoots non-lethal paint inside capsules than bows that shoot sharp dangerous, lethal objects. Even a simple game of darts can be dangerous if not used properly.
I hope some day they realize that paintball is a great sport, just like any other and takes the same responsabilities and maturity than any other sport.

Just my 2 cents.

PeaCe
Tapion
Old 05-26-2001, 11:17 PM #4
CockerMan86

CockerMan86 is a founding member
Think of it this way, maybe they pulled the magazines because they weren't selling good enough. There wasn't a high enough demand.
As far as the guns being pulled out of shops, a while ago the Canadian government passed a bill saying that anything that fired projectiles was illegal. This excluded paintball guns however.
So don't jump to conclusions.
Old 05-26-2001, 11:21 PM #5
Budha
Paint Slüt

Oh goodness, another worthless post. Please guys, make it something that is worth reading. Dude, who cares about ignorance. You cant change people and what they think. Because of liberals, all the stuff we love like paintball will keep on getting harrased. And to everone who is democratic, please pat yourself on the back. *Note the sarcasm* Long live conservatism.
Old 05-26-2001, 11:57 PM #6
Tapion

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Budha
Oh goodness, another worthless post. Please guys, make it something that is worth reading.
I have found that every thread in this forum has been a worthless post for you. Please, refrain from posting in the thread if the only thing coming from you is negativity. You're having a necessity for flaming everything other people post. Let them post whatever they want as long as it doesn't offend anybody. Don't put people down for the mere pleasure of it. He probably thought this subject was important, that is why it's called "Paintball Talk" it's a general, all subjects about paintball forum.

Respect other people's opinions, if you have nothing good to say about something, don't say anything at all. Let's make this a friendly community, not one that looks for the negativity.
Old 05-27-2001, 01:47 AM #7
ghost271
Shooting MacDev

Budha and Rukus. How will this get paintball banned? Well lets put it this way. BABY STEPS. The gov't will do a little bit at a time to take away things that don't fit their future agenda. For example. Look at the firearms registration that they have implimented to help cut 'violent crimes' commited with guns. Well excuse me but how many criminals do you think buy their guns and register them.....? None. that's how many. They purchase their weapons off of the street. But who pays the price and the hassle for it? Law abidding citizens. In 1997 a letter to the Department of Justice from the Commisioner of the RCMP revealed that the RCMP investigated 88,162 violent crimes in1993 but only 73 of those,or 0.08% involved the use of firearms. In addition, although it's been compulsory to registar handguns in Canada since 1934, the Commisioner could not site a single crime solved because of handgun registration in the past 64 years. Regardless of the facts given about handgun registration the gov't doesnt care.

So you see; Ignorance can impact the future of our sport. Its people like yourselves who sit on the sidelines and think " Oh it won't happen to us. We just shoot paintballs. They never hurt anyone." that will be in complete shock when they come to ask for a licence from you. And in time, unless something is done, they won't care about our markers as well.

Look at the amount of negative attention we get from the media when some looser decides to shoot people on the street with his paintgun cause he thinks it's funny. How many more times do you think it will take before they ban the use of our "harmless paintguns?"

Think about it. The Gov'ts not just going to barge into your house over night and take your guns. That would have a revolt and a revolution on their hands. Uh-Uh. They will do it slowly over a period of years.
-Max'd 'DM3'
Old 05-27-2001, 03:40 AM #8
Dayton08

Ban!

I think they would probably put a paintball licence on it
before they would ban it.. Look at firearms licences now.

That would really suck registering you painball"MARKER"
But ah! who knows...
Old 05-27-2001, 04:26 AM #9
WoRR PIG

Angry How to boil a frog....

Never throw him in boiling water. He will just jump out. Put him in warm water and slowly turn up the heat. Before he knows it he will be dead. This philosophy works in many areas... incramentalism!
Old 05-27-2001, 06:01 AM #10
ghost271
Shooting MacDev

WorrPig

Good way of putting it man. That is it exactly.
-Max'd 'DM3'
Old 05-27-2001, 05:33 PM #11
Budha
Paint Slüt

Tapion. Um, I do not know why I must refrain from thinking my thoughts. I do not understand what the hell your problem is. When I speak, I speak realistically and not some stupid crap that "oh no, paintball is going to be banned" bullcrap. It wont be banned, it is impossible. It is just too large, and too safe. Get over it. They can harras us, but as long as the fields have teh right permits and crap, we will be good.
Old 05-27-2001, 06:37 PM #12
holymoly :D

Quote:
Tapion. Um, I do not know why I must refrain from thinking my thoughts. I do not understand what the hell your problem is.
I will some irony for breakfast today. What the hell were you just doing?

Quote:
Oh goodness, another worthless post. Please guys, make it something that is worth reading. Dude, who cares about ignorance.
dumb****.
Old 05-27-2001, 08:31 PM #13
ghost271
Shooting MacDev

Budha

You say you speak 'realisticaly'. But i have to ask you what makes you think that paintball will never be banned? I'm not saying they are going to ban it for sure but it is slowly getting worse.

Who would have thought 15 years ago that kids squirt guns would ever be banned from looking like the real thing. They shoot water and we all know how painful that can be. As a kid we always went into the woods and played 'guns' and no one ever got hurt. But then a few stupid kids over the course of a few years got shot by police because they where using these toy guns in hold ups or B&E's and decided to aim there toy guns at the police. Well excuse me. But I don't care how old you are; when the police tell you to freeze and drop your weapon. You do it. you don't aim anything at a cop. A guy around here got shot by the police because when they busted into his house he was holding his remote control. Should we ban TV remotes now too? No.

Who would have guessed 15 years ago that you would need a licence to own a pellet gun today ? They said that any toy gun that looks like the real thing must have a red tip on it to distingquish it from the real thing. Well suprise, suprise. Two weeks ago the RCMP walked into a hobby store which carried airsoft guns (WITH THE RED TIPS) and confiscated all 20 of them.

So I ask you Budha. Just how safe is our sport? If you told me 15 years ago that they would ban squirt guns that were modeled after real ones I would have laughed in your face. But low and behold it is now a reality. You want them to continually harrass us? Well what are you going to do when they want to shut down our fields because people are complaining about ' guys with guns and dressed in camoflauge' around their property. Nieghbors complain my friend about the noise and all the 'shooting' taking place at local fields.

I know owners that used to run a few feilds and the locals thought we were a bunch of dooms day trainees. The owners went so far as to invite the members of city hall to come out and play to see what it was all about, as well as the neighbors. The councillors loved it but the neighbors and people of the community wanted nothing to do with it. They petitioned the community to have the fields banned, and after 11 years of running our 'safe' sport and increased legal costs and hassles, they shut down.

So Budha. Although you have a right to voice your opinion and I welcome it, i would suggest you do a little research and try to view things from an adult and political stand point.
-Max'd 'DM3'
Old 05-27-2001, 11:56 PM #14
Tapion

Quote:
Tapion. Um, I do not know why I must refrain from thinking my thoughts. I do not understand what the hell your problem is. When I speak, I speak realistically and not some stupid crap
I never said you should refrain from thinking of your thoughts, just not post any of those negative thoughts in a person's thread to put down the person saying he just posts useless threads. That is just unnecessary and ruins the mood of the environment. If you think it's useless refrain from posting in it and just leave it alone. There's just no need for it.

PeaCe;
Tapion
Old 05-28-2001, 05:47 PM #15
ghost271
Shooting MacDev

Chapters Book Store

Well Chapters called me the other day and told me that the reason they got rid of the magazines was because they didn't have enough room. WTF ? Have you been to a Chapters lately? All they have is room.

I checked at Save-On-Foods today as well. Strange thing. Their gun mags are all gone too. I guess they must have run out of room as well.

Well thank god they still have enugh room for "HIGH Times," and "GANGSTA' ".

I may sound paranoid to a few of you out there but listen up.

THE WRITINGS ON THE WALL
-Max'd 'DM3'
Old 05-28-2001, 10:13 PM #16
Budha
Paint Slüt

ghost. That was extremly well written. You have actually made me think about some **** that can happen. I work at my field, and a few kids were throwing paintballs at buildings near our fields. If the people would have complained. We would have gotten in trouble. Damn, I am slapping myself in my face. Whoever I have offended, I apologize. This is not some kiss *** try to make everyone like me again. i am serious. Thanks ghost for giving me a slap in the face. Very very well written.

-Budha
Old 05-28-2001, 11:12 PM #17
Ak|rA`

ghost: the only place i have ever found paintball mags in my area is at paintball fields and pro shops. i can walk into grocery stores, and find an entire rack dedicated to just fire arms. but i have never seen a paintball mag outside a proshop. i went to the largest bookstore in the world this summer in portland, and they didnt even have a paintball mag. they had 1 room at least twice the size of a 2car garage filled with magazines...but not one on paintball. im just saying i am not surprised that the magazines are gone. the general public wants nothing to do with paintball. my dad has seen me play in tournaments, and he wont even recognize it as a sport. people fear what they don't understand, and because of that fear, they are reluctant to learn about it. they don't understand why we do what we do, so they shun us instead of trying to see things from out point of view. in short we need to not necessarily bring new people into pur sport, but introduce it to other. for these and other reasons i am trying to get my school to "sponsor" a club team. i hope others around the country do the same. if it is a school "sponsored" sport they can't really whine about it being to dangerous...the schools wouldnt let us if it were. sorry i was rambling, but oh well.

just my 2 cents
Old 05-29-2001, 02:29 AM #18
Gotenks

this is O/T... but

AKIRA is a dope movie, and i think everyone should watch it, and after you watch it, youll want to buy a sport bike.
Old 05-29-2001, 02:55 AM #19
C]-[iLDe
Fly Or Die

C]-[iLDe is a Supporting Member
You could always just subscribe to the magazines; it even saves u a few bucks. I think that the most we as paintballers can do to prevent our sport from being taken away is to be responsible in the use of our markers and always keep safety first. Also try to educate people who are ignorant and scared of the sport. Besides that...

Having difficulty deciphering my extensive vocabulary? Click HERE
Old 05-29-2001, 03:33 AM #20
ghost271
Shooting MacDev

Magazines

Ikira. I realize that a lot of stores don't carry paintball mags but any decent magazine store always has Soldier of Fortune in stock as well as military modelling, hunting, gun and knife mags.

I just think it's strange that 2 major stores with huge selections of magazines have dumped the whole section pertaining to these topics. We're talking at least 2 dozen titles. I mean how many magazines on collecting teddy bears does a store need. Like I said before; these magazines are always being sold out to the point where i had to be there within a few days of release or i couldn't get a copy. It's not like a store to get rid of magazines that are always selling and making them a profit. I am going to make trips around Vancouver to differant stores and see if the same thing is happening. I am also going to contact the differant Paintball Magazine distibutors to see how many stores have cancelled future shipping of their magazines.

hey Budha. No offence taken man, and like I said before, 15 years ago i would have laughed at anyone that said they would stop the sales of squirt guns that looked like real guns.

I'm glad I've made you think a little bit, my friend.
-Max'd 'DM3'
Old 05-29-2001, 10:51 AM #21
pr0kch0p

Quote:
Originally posted by holymoly
I will some irony for breakfast today. What the hell were you just doing?

dumb****.
omgz dunt be kr3wl j0hn j0hn!!!