Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-26-2013, 08:59 PM #1
B3ARC1AW

Mag Fed Questions

So I've wanted to get into mag fed paintball for a while but there are lots of options out there and most are usually expensive for my budget. I've looked in getting a Tippmann and then buying a mag fed kit from a company like Tacamo. I don't want to buy a gun and kit and mags and find out they aren't compatible or that there are better options I didn't know about. So here are my questions:

1. What Tippmann guns can be converted to mag fed? I've seen kits for the X7, but are there kits out there for the A5 and 98?

2. I've looked into the Dmag stuff from Tacamo, does anybody have experience with these specific mags and conversion kit and can reccomend them or have you have bad experiences with them?

3. This is my plan and I want to know if everything I'm planning on getting will work together.

-Buy a used X7 on the forums here or Craigslist
-Buy this meg fed conversion kit: LINK
-Buy these magazines: LINK

4. The estimated cost of all this would be 230 plus the cost of the gun, which should be like 150-175 used and stock, so around 400 depneding on the cost of the gun. Are there any other alternative guns out there that would be cheaper than this?

And also, as per the rules, no BST.

Last edited by John : 07-01-2013 at 06:17 PM. Reason: no BST
B3ARC1AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2013, 08:32 AM #2
RubinOnRye

RubinOnRye is playing at Living Legends VII
RubinOnRye has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
RubinOnRye has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
RubinOnRye supports Ninja Paintball
With the amount of money your going to be investing into this, your probably better off just buying a T68 marker or MillSig marker if you want all the upgrades.

I was thinking the same thing as you but then I saw this and now I am saving my pennies. I know the gun is small, but that's my play style. If you look at everything MillSig makes you will find something that fits you.
http://www.hustlepaintball.com/Milsig-PDW-SD-Custom
RubinOnRye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:43 AM #3
B3ARC1AW

Thanks for the suggestion. The only problem I have with your idea is that I'll be a buying a gun that can only be mag fed. If I buy a Tippmann then I'll have the option to use both a hopper or magazines. And I'd be getting 10 extra mags to use, where as I'd only get one buy buying the MilSig gun and then have to buy more, adding to the cost. My entire idea includes all the extra mags and is only 400, all the MilSig and Rap-4 (Which I've heard has terrible markers) are all 500 or more, plus you'd have to buy more mags. So in the end I don't think the "custom" mag fed guns are worth it.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:28 AM #4
RubinOnRye

MILLSIG TERRIBLE??? WHAT!! You need to find somebody that has one and let them let you play with it for the day.

BTW, that gun can be mag feed or hopper. All MilSig guns can be both. Rap-4 T68 guns i am not a fan of but MilSig guns are amazing.

I didn't know you already had 10 mags. Or Where are you buying the conversion kit where they are giving you free mags because normally you have to buy mags no matter if you buy a MilSig or custom turn your tippmann into a mag fed.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:29 PM #5
B3ARC1AW

No, no, no, no, no. I'm only saying the Rap4 T68 guns are bad from what I've heard. I have read lots of great reviews about MilSig guns, they're just a little pricey for me compared to other options. I didn't know those could be hopper fed too, that's good.

I don't already have 10 mags, haha. I'm saying that I can buy a pacakge of 10 mags for about the same price as 2 mags for the MilSig guns.

I'm going to most likely be buying everything from Rap4's site. The mag package is $70 and includes 10 mags with a magwell specific to the new DMag shape to replace the magwell on older conversion kits. Then the conversion kit is $120 and they have that for all Tippmann models along with BT and a few others. I decided to get a 98C or A5 isntead of an X7 (not Phenom) because they're all the same internally so I'm not going to spend more on an X7 if it's going to be the same functionally. I can easily find a super cheap 98C on Craigslist.

All in all, if I go the conversion route it shouldn't cost me more than 300 depending on the deal I get on the gun. The cheapest MilSig gun I've found is $300, plus $350 dollars to get the same number of mags, putting the gun at $650 at the least.

Since you've used (or I presum you have sicne you speak highly of them) MilSig guns, what about them makes them that much better than going to conversion route? Will they have increased efficiency? Will the mags feed better and result in less breaks and misfires? Or anything else they have that sets them apart from other substitutes to them?
Old 03-01-2013, 02:12 PM #6
RubinOnRye

I don't use one regularly but my friend does. He has never had a chop nor any air issues. I don't know what it is about them but they shoot so accurate it's amazing. Also I love the weight on the gun, feels like a real gun. It's hard for me to describe in detail exactly what makes them "better" mostly because I don't use only weekly. I will ask my friend if he can jump on here and jump on this conversation. He's kind of lazy when it comes to computers so hopefully he will do it.

By the way what mags you talking about because I do have an 98C with mag feed. I am probably wrong but I thought Milsig Mags and Rap4 Mags are interchangeable. I am probably wrong, LOL.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:19 PM #7
chaibill

has been a member for 10 years
You getting 14 or20 rd. Mags?
Lapco t8 t9 barrel 14 inch for sale.
Mini parts stock ASA ,stock bolt. Color kits black or bronze green. Pm me with mini parts.
chaibill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:34 PM #8
B3ARC1AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubinOnRye View Post
I don't use one regularly but my friend does. He has never had a chop nor any air issues. I don't know what it is about them but they shoot so accurate it's amazing. Also I love the weight on the gun, feels like a real gun. It's hard for me to describe in detail exactly what makes them "better" mostly because I don't use only weekly. I will ask my friend if he can jump on here and jump on this conversation. He's kind of lazy when it comes to computers so hopefully he will do it.

By the way what mags you talking about because I do have an 98C with mag feed. I am probably wrong but I thought Milsig Mags and Rap4 Mags are interchangeable. I am probably wrong, LOL.
Tacamo recently released their new type of mags under the name "DMag". In my first post I gave a link to them. They are a new shape and therefor require a new magwell. But you have the option for $10 more to buy a new mag well so you can use the mags. The MilSig and Rap4 mags are interchangable from what I've read because they are the same shape, but these new mags are a little different, which is why they require a new magwell for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaibill View Post
You getting 14 or20 rd. Mags?
I was planning on getting the 20 round mags. Both the 14 and 20 round mags are the same price and from the looks of them side by side, the 20 round ones aren't that much bigger. Probably only 2"-3" since it's only 3 paintballs more. The extra length doesn't matter to me and I'd rather have the 6 extra shots per mag.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:02 PM #9
Reloadro
Phantom Lords

The milsig mk3 is pretty inexpensive, and once the dmags start shipping - which i would assume will be within the next week or two - people will be offloading old milsig mags CHEAP. Just a thought.
Old 03-02-2013, 09:10 PM #10
B3ARC1AW

I had that thought about waiting until everyone switched over to the new mags, but then I still didn't want to be stuck with older gear when newer designs and better products are available. I'll have to look into the MK3 a little more. For $300 it looks pretty good. And I found from a Rap4 employee that the DMags coming out now will only work with the Phenom because they only have the magwell for them that fits with the Phenom kit. They will be releasing the magwells that work with other conversion kits in a few months.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:40 PM #11
Camtron0

I already have a tippmann 98 custom pre platinum with one the new flatlines which gives you a picatinny rail on top of the gun wich continues along the top of the barrel. I am wondering if the height of the tacamo rail that comes on the 98 magfed converstion kit will match the height on the Flatline.
Camtron0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:27 AM #12
kostis11

kostis11 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
kostis11 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
kostis11 is attending Decay of Nations VII
kostis11 supports DLX Technology
you can also buy a tiberius arms that is both magfed abd hopper(there is also the new spyder EMR5), the tacamo kit it kinda risky(many chops.... youll have to do some work with it before woking properly
Old 03-04-2013, 10:58 AM #13
RubinOnRye

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostis11 View Post
you can also buy a tiberius arms that is both magfed abd hopper(there is also the new spyder EMR5), the tacamo kit it kinda risky(many chops.... youll have to do some work with it before woking properly
my 98 chops a lot, hence why I usually don't use it.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:50 PM #14
Fieldpeice
That Paintball Complexion

has been a member for 10 years
Fieldpeice has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fieldpeice has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I have a Mkv from rap4 which is a bt4 combat that is mag fed. I like it because you can change from Mag fed to hopper fed easy and replace mechanical grip with the egrip. I did and bought a box mag. The only thing I forgot was changing the batteries. Both box mag and egrip batteries died in the middle of a big game but I thought I was just out of air. It was chopping paint and would not recock. Took me a while to figure out it was only the batteries.
Fieldpeice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:21 AM #15
RubinOnRye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldpeice View Post
I have a Mkv from rap4 which is a bt4 combat that is mag fed. I like it because you can change from Mag fed to hopper fed easy and replace mechanical grip with the egrip. I did and bought a box mag. The only thing I forgot was changing the batteries. Both box mag and egrip batteries died in the middle of a big game but I thought I was just out of air. It was chopping paint and would not recock. Took me a while to figure out it was only the batteries.
keep in your gear bag... http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-Proce...=IQI028DMUCF0Z
Old 03-25-2013, 09:51 AM #16
TSSOC.BISHOP

To answer your op:

If you want to get into mag-fed the path I would recommend is to get a marker that has been designed for mag-fed, and been around for a while.

I will say that D-mags are quickly gaining a reputation for being tough on traditional paintballs.

Second, "conversion kits" are fraught with fit, quality, and feed issues and you end up losing a very valuable component of any purchase, customer support.

By sticking with a company that has designed, from the ground up, a marker that is strictly mag fed (with an optional hopper feed attachment, which is like an extra pinkie toe imo) you avoid much of these issues. And when a problem inevitably arises(and they will no matter which company you go to) you have a company to contact that has a vested interest in keeping you happy.

Lastly, I will offer this: Don't go cheap. This sounds counter intuitive but by trying to save money in the short run you risk of added frustration and replacement costs. Stick with quality, and reliability. A good quality marker that can be upgraded over time can be found for 3-400$. I don't recommend used, as you don't know what you're getting and any discount from new you think you are getting can quickly be lost in repair costs.

You are choosing to get into mag-fed when a lot of manufacturers are too. They want to gain a reputation for reliability and good customer support. Why you would choose to not capitalize on this trend is a mistake.

Have fun. Mag-Fed is a helluva good time.
TSSOC.BISHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:52 PM #17
RubinOnRye

Hey I saw this the other day and thought of this thread. I think this thing is sexy, maybe you will too.

http://www.rap4.com/store/paintball/...-paintball-gun
Old 03-30-2013, 07:42 PM #18
Fuzzy83

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3ARC1AW View Post
So I've wanted to get into mag fed paintball for a while but there are lots of options out there and most are usually expensive for my budget. I've looked in getting a Tippmann and then buying a mag fed kit from a company like Tacamo. I don't want to buy a gun and kit and mags and find out they aren't compatible or that there are better options I didn't know about. So here are my questions:

1. What Tippmann guns can be converted to mag fed? I've seen kits for the X7, but are there kits out there for the A5 and 98?

2. I've looked into the Dmag stuff from Tacamo, does anybody have experience with these specific mags and conversion kit and can reccomend them or have you have bad experiences with them?

3. This is my plan and I want to know if everything I'm planning on getting will work together.

-Buy a used X7 on the forums here or Craigslist
-Buy this meg fed conversion kit: LINK
-Buy these magazines: LINK

4. The estimated cost of all this would be 230 plus the cost of the gun, which should be like 150-175 used and stock, so around 400 depneding on the cost of the gun. Are there any other alternative guns out there that would be cheaper than this?

And also, as per the rules, if anyone is selling a mag fed X7 or other mag fed gun then please PM me rather than posting here as I'd rather buy everything all together instead of having to piece it together myself. And no, this isn't a WTB thread, I'm asking about compatability of mag fed parts, so don't get angry moderators
Just check out my sig! Mag Fed Kits work really well if you know what you are doing and tweak em They are fun as well!
Fuzzy83 is offline   Reply With Quote