Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-09-2012, 02:20 PM #43
Mr.JimJims2.0
G.O.O.D

has been a member for 10 years
Mr.JimJims2.0 plays in the PSP
Mr.JimJims2.0 plays in the APPA D4 division
I pledged spring. In my chapter every spring class gets way more respect since pledging is sooo much more difficult with a small class. We had 7 guys opposed to the 25-30 that fall gets. Idk really how other frats do it, but I'd wait until the fall OP for an easier pledgeship.

NCC!
Mr.JimJims2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2012, 04:20 PM #44
iNvaZN
BALL SO HARD

iNvaZN helped look for balloons
 is playing at Living Legends XI
iNvaZN supports our troops
I pledged in the spring too...ditto on what jim said

90+
PBN | 650+ eBay | PAID badges | 2K4 OG

iNvaZN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:05 AM #45
SuMaC

SuMaC owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
SuMaC has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
SuMaC has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
yea i think waiting until fall would be my best bet.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:17 PM #46
nubsauce

nubsauce has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.JimJims2.0 View Post
I pledged spring. In my chapter every spring class gets way more respect since pledging is sooo much more difficult with a small class. We had 7 guys opposed to the 25-30 that fall gets. Idk really how other frats do it, but I'd wait until the fall OP for an easier pledgeship.
Smaller school i am guessing?

For the most part, spring pledgeship is looked down at by a lot of fraternities mainly due to the lack of football season. Pledging in the Spring usually does not involve as much brother participation or hazing. This is from personal experience at my University as well as most of the SEC.
nubsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:04 AM #47
AuxiliaryPie
iLurk

**** fraternities. i had a couple close friends last year who rushed, and i honestly havent seen or talked to them since they moved into their frat house. now i live a group of townhouses that are roughly 2/3 frats/sororities and 1/3 independents.

-The frat next door (kappa delta rho) were SO nice to us when we moved in, we got free beer like every day...until rush week came along and none of us (me and my 4 roommates) rushed, they havent talked to us since. Except for when they send their mentally challenged "brother" over to our house to ask for beer and cigarettes when they dont want to hang out with him. Oh and the "brother" that got locked out of their house who just waltzed on in to our house uninvited and asked to use our pisser..told him to get the **** out.
-edit-forgot to add in the MULTIPLE stories of their "brothers" fighting each other, and trying to fight my friends and i. one case of the mentally challenged guy beating up his big...such brotherhood

-Our other neighbor is my roommates cousin, whom i knew before college as a cool guy. he is the president of Alpha Sigma Epsilon here, same story free beer, parties at his place a couple times, invited us to pledge, we declined and we havent seen him since..and hes family.

-One of my closest friends was in Triangle (science majors only) and realized that his true calling was educaiton, well his "brothers" stopped talking to him and stopped inviting him to their parties because he wasnt a science major.

-My roommate pledged a professional pharmacy frat, his initiation was to interview 50 members for a half hour each, and write a page and a half on each one. Then write a 4 page paper on why "fratters" are better than "pleggies". And when speaking to anyone in a frat, he had to greet them with their full name, pin number, title, and respond to everything with "yes, fratter XXXX". He also got yelled at for sitting with his friends in class and not with his fellow "pleggies".

fraternities dont give a **** about you in the end. i do not support them in any way shape or form, unless its free beer. I have PLENTY of fun and friends without being in a fraternity and i dont have to deal with any of that bull ****.

Last edited by AuxiliaryPie : 02-16-2012 at 11:30 AM.
AuxiliaryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:14 PM #48
eforce
Factory PB

eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
So you're pissed that they stopped giving you free beer and inviting you to parties after you told them you have zero interest in their house?
eforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:26 PM #49
ChemicalDonkey
you're welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxiliaryPie View Post
**** fraternities. i had a couple close friends last year who rushed, and i honestly havent seen or talked to them since they moved into their frat house. now i live a group of townhouses that are roughly 2/3 frats/sororities and 1/3 independents.

-The frat next door (kappa delta rho) were SO nice to us when we moved in, we got free beer like every day...until rush week came along and none of us (me and my 4 roommates) rushed, they havent talked to us since. Except for when they send their mentally challenged "brother" over to our house to ask for beer and cigarettes when they dont want to hang out with him. Oh and the "brother" that got locked out of their house who just waltzed on in to our house uninvited and asked to use our pisser..told him to get the **** out.
-edit-forgot to add in the MULTIPLE stories of their "brothers" fighting each other, and trying to fight my friends and i. one case of the mentally challenged guy beating up his big...such brotherhood

-Our other neighbor is my roommates cousin, whom i knew before college as a cool guy. he is the president of Alpha Sigma Epsilon here, same story free beer, parties at his place a couple times, invited us to pledge, we declined and we havent seen him since..and hes family.

-One of my closest friends was in Triangle (science majors only) and realized that his true calling was educaiton, well his "brothers" stopped talking to him and stopped inviting him to their parties because he wasnt a science major.

-My roommate pledged a professional pharmacy frat, his initiation was to interview 50 members for a half hour each, and write a page and a half on each one. Then write a 4 page paper on why "fratters" are better than "pleggies". And when speaking to anyone in a frat, he had to greet them with their full name, pin number, title, and respond to everything with "yes, fratter XXXX". He also got yelled at for sitting with his friends in class and not with his fellow "pleggies".

fraternities dont give a **** about you in the end. i do not support them in any way shape or form, unless its free beer. I have PLENTY of fun and friends without being in a fraternity and i dont have to deal with any of that bull ****.
You, and all the "frats" you listed, sound like a bunch of ******s.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:17 PM #50
SuMaC

Quote:
Originally Posted by eforce View Post
So you're pissed that they stopped giving you free beer and inviting you to parties after you told them you have zero interest in their house?
Old 02-19-2012, 10:32 PM #51
AuxiliaryPie
iLurk

Quote:
Originally Posted by eforce View Post
I'm pissed because you all try to bring people into your brotherhood by throwing parties and trying to be peoples friends, and when your new friend/acquaintance doesnt want to join your frat, you cut all ties with them. thus proving that fraternities just want to make money off you, not make friends or form a true brotherhood.

you claim to join a frat to meet people and branching out and all that jazz, when in reality you only hang out with your "brothers" (and no one else) and pass around the same sorority girls at your 2-ways.

so you are ignoring the example of my friends "brothers" completely ignoring him because he changed his major to something he actually enjoys..some brothers.
and "brothers" fighting each other, which you claim is "illegal", "brothers" kicking each other out of the house that they pay for, and "brothers" sending their mentally challenged "brother" away when they dont want to deal with him.

none of those have anything to do with free beer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalDonkey View Post
You, and all the "frats" you listed, sound like a bunch of ******s.
at least we agree that frats are generally ******s.

Last edited by AuxiliaryPie : 02-19-2012 at 10:34 PM.
AuxiliaryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:14 AM #52
eforce
Factory PB

eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Quote:
I'm pissed because you all try to bring people into your brotherhood by throwing parties and trying to be peoples friends, and when your new friend/acquaintance doesnt want to join your frat, you cut all ties with them. thus proving that fraternities just want to make money off you, not make friends or form a true brotherhood.

you claim to join a frat to meet people and branching out and all that jazz, when in reality you only hang out with your "brothers" (and no one else) and pass around the same sorority girls at your 2-ways.

so you are ignoring the example of my friends "brothers" completely ignoring him because he changed his major to something he actually enjoys..some brothers.
and "brothers" fighting each other, which you claim is "illegal", "brothers" kicking each other out of the house that they pay for, and "brothers" sending their mentally challenged "brother" away when they dont want to deal with him.

none of those have anything to do with free beer.

at least we agree that frats are generally ******s.
You don't understand rush. The point is to get as many people through the door as possible so that you can figure out what the best combination of guys is for the next pledge class. Those that decline bids or do not demonstrate what's needed to receive a bid are excluded from fraternal affairs because they don't belong. When rush ends, they stop being potential brothers and start being liabilities and freeloaders. The purpose of a fraternity is not to throw big open parties or to be best friends with everyone on campus. It's an exclusive social network providing the most benefits to those within it. If you aren't a part of that social network, you will not receive all the benefits of being in it. When somebody invites you to something and you blow them off, don't be mad when you don't get a second invitation.

It's not right or effective to judge a large group of people by one or two that you encounter. If everyone did that, we'd all think every muslim is a terrorist and every person that watches MTV is a brain dead embarrassment to society.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:44 AM #53
AuxiliaryPie
iLurk

thats why i said generally ******s. though i do see your point in your answer, you gotta agree with me that the 4 examples of fraternities ive had experience with are all ****ty..so how much can you blame me?

no matter how you look at it, "hey come over this weekend, we'll all hangout and have fun!" "oh you dont wanna join my frat? looks like ill never ever talk to you again" is such a ****ty way to go about things. Whats the point of a social network that is closed to only people in your fraternity?

i want to hear what you have to say about the mentally challenged kid, the brotherly exile of someone who changed their major, and not being able to sit with your real friends in class
Old 02-20-2012, 06:43 PM #54
SuMaC

i mean my friend joined a frat last fall and i still hang out with him pretty much every day. the frat next door might not ask you to do stuff anymore but i doubt they flat out ignore you.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:56 PM #55
mike45thab
Louisiana Refugee

mike45thab plays in the APPA D5 division
I was going to chime in but eForce is doing a good job and pretty much covered all bases.
AuxilliaryPie, i've never even heard of those fraternities you listed.

My FeedBack

Last edited by mike45thab : 02-20-2012 at 08:58 PM.
mike45thab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:23 PM #56
AuxiliaryPie
iLurk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike45thab View Post
I was going to chime in but eForce is doing a good job and pretty much covered all bases.
AuxilliaryPie, i've never even heard of those fraternities you listed.
that makes me feel better lol what i want the OP and others to take away from my posts: there are ups and downs to everything, just keep that in mind.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:19 PM #57
mike45thab
Louisiana Refugee

There is a thread in old school small talk called "So you want to go greek?" Anyone interested should check that out. I don't think many people check the college forum a lot.

My FeedBack
Old 02-21-2012, 03:54 PM #58
eforce
Factory PB

eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Quote:
that makes me feel better lol what i want the OP and others to take away from my posts: there are ups and downs to everything, just keep that in mind.
Well why didn't you just say that the first time?
Old 02-21-2012, 05:01 PM #59
AuxiliaryPie
iLurk

that would be way too easy haha
Old 02-22-2012, 05:05 AM #60
VETERANwalkON
you and your rope

I summer signed for all the wrong reasons to my fraternity. I was basically there to party to be honest. Slipped through and barely got initiated. It took me another semester with patient older members as mentors to finally get my head out of my *** and I got my act together.

I'm now a senior, held multiple positions in my house, and I'm currently an IFC board member. Just went to St. Louis for a national conference for free... even though Missouri sucks it was fun. I've also been to my chapters General Assembly which is another national meeting.

At both of these I sat down at a table full of brothers from around the nation and we instantly had a bond and shared experiences. That is something very few other types of organizations can say.

I realize that was a bit of a scatter brained post, but to wrap it up going Greek is what you make of it just like anything else in life. Join the chapter that talks to you about scholastics, leadership, and developing you as a man. All chapters for the most part offer brotherhood, parties, ect. but it's about finding the one where you have a good fit and you see them having a good direction.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:31 AM #61
mike45thab
Louisiana Refugee

Good point Veteran. We don't give bids in the summer because we like to have a good fall class for which the pledges can bond with their pledge brothers. I feel like even spring class are being robbed by that strong bond that you get with pledge class.

It's also good to research a fraternity before accepting bid. Joining a chapter with a strong national backing is always good. Just like Veteran, we have a leadership conference in the summer and a Grand Conclave in the summer (alternates every other year) and they are a blast. The up coming ones are in New Orleans and Las Vegas, respectively, and they are paid for by the dues you pay. You take away so much by attending these as a young man, words cannot even begin to explain.

When ever someone wants to know why join a fraternity? What could i possibly gain from it?
I always tell them you get what you put into it. It has unlimited benefits and rewards if you want it to. If you just want the parties and a resume holder then so be it. If you would like to challenge yourself by running for leadership positions in the fraternity, get real life experience of running an organization of 75-100 men that would rather do nothing but party, but you get them to participate in thousands of community service hours and raise thousands and thousands of dollars for your philanthropy...
I've never regretted any time or any amount of money that I've given to my fraternity.

My FeedBack
Old 02-22-2012, 07:24 PM #62
SuMaC

do you think it hurts my chances being a commuter?
Old 02-22-2012, 09:55 PM #63
mike45thab
Louisiana Refugee

How far do you commute?

My FeedBack