Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-16-2011, 10:35 PM #1
cyrus-the-virus90
Yes you like mr bunny

has been a member for 10 years
cyrus-the-virus90 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Would this F150 work for me?

Alright, I'm looking at getting a light duty work truck. I just need something easy to work on that can get me around town and maybe haul a couple toys out to the sand dunes on the weekend. For now just a dirt bike, but a small 2 seat sandrail is in my near future. Tomorrow I'm going to go look at a 1991 F150 with 130K miles. He want's about $1200 for it. From what I've been told over the phone it has.

Inline 6 motor
4 speed manual trans
Standard cab
8 foot bed
2WD
Manual windows and locks
Cruise control

Would this truck work for what I want to use it for? Anything specific I need to keep my eyes out for? How's the price? Like I said I haven't had a chance to go out and look at it just yet.
cyrus-the-virus90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-16-2011, 10:47 PM #2
armagedon_91
lets shoot at them guys

seems like a pretty fair price depending on body shape. my grandpa had a inline 6 with a manual and it was a solid truck. went 220 strong and then he sold it and it had life left in it.
armagedon_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:56 PM #3
Rampager2000
-Voted best Avvy 2011 <3-

We used to have a 1994 Diesel F250. Loved the truck. Assuming it's just a weaker version of that, I'd recommend it. Solid trucks as well. That's low mileage for that old vehicle as well.

OGPT: It's Not Rocket Surgery
Rampager2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:59 PM #4
F1VENOM

The 300 I6 was a pretty beastly motor and as long as it's not too beat up it should serve you fine. You wont win any races or pull any D9's but it'll get you there.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:06 AM #5
mossdabomb
Its Aggafagnaificent!

mossdabomb is a Supporting Member
if you could get it for 1000 youd be set.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:21 AM #6
Jinjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
The 300 I6 was a pretty beastly motor and as long as it's not too beat up it should serve you fine. You wont win any races or pull any D9's but it'll get you there.
This. The I6 lasts forever. I have a '94 F-150 with it, and with 250,000+ miles on it the head gasket just went. I know if I replace that head gasket the engine will last another 250k. The body however will probably only last another 50k, if that....Lots of rust. Not sure where you live (probably out west if you are talking about sand rails) but if it's anywhere that uses salt in the winter, be careful and check out the frame.
Jinjiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:16 AM #7
SmallBaller712
XBL - WookyMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
My new powerstroke pulls D9s all day bro

Originally Posted by Alan777..."Sunny and Wilfred are my fags."
SmallBaller712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:47 AM #8
Rampager2000
-Voted best Avvy 2011 <3-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallBaller712 View Post
My new powerstroke pulls D9s all day bro
That has no relevance...

As said above, the bodies are tanks but they do usually have tons of problems. Can you link a pic of how the body looks?

OGPT: It's Not Rocket Surgery
Rampager2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:37 AM #9
Kenny_McCormick

Make sure the clutch is good. Also check for rust, especially on the frame rails. Driving it down the highway to make sure it doesn't have 4.10s and won't run out of gear at at 65 mph is probably a good idea too. Odds are it doesn't have overdrive if its a 4 speed.
Narrator: [Talking slowly] And this button-down, Oxford-cloth psycho might just snap, and then stalk from office to office with an Armalite AR-10 carbine gas-powered semi-automatic weapon, pumping round after round into colleagues and co-workers. This might be someone you've known for years. Someone very, very close to you.

Last edited by Kenny_McCormick : 04-17-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Kenny_McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:15 PM #10
cyrus-the-virus90
Yes you like mr bunny

cyrus-the-virus90 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_McCormick View Post
Make sure the clutch is good. Also check for rust, especially on the frame rails. Driving it down the highway to make sure it doesn't have 4.10s and won't run out of gear at at 65 mph is probably a good idea too. Odds are it doesn't have overdrive if its a 4 speed.
How would I be able to tell if it has a 4.10?
cyrus-the-virus90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:23 PM #11
xXK1CK1NVV1NGXx

the 300 i6 is a tank, especially paired with the 4 speed manual trans, the reason they run for so long is because they are pretty gutless. But for what you are doing it should be just fine.
2005 Scion XB
Cope Crew OSTT
xXK1CK1NVV1NGXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:32 PM #12
yuik
Mr Diet Coke on the Rocks

yuik is playing at Living Legends V
yuik is playing at Living Legends VI
yuik is an NCPA player
yuik plays in the APPA D5 division
yuik is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
yuik is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrus-the-virus90 View Post
How would I be able to tell if it has a 4.10?
lay on the ground and look at the trans it will be printed on there
yuik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:39 PM #13
NotTyler

Don't expect to much, remember you are looking at a 1200 dollar truck. Just make sure the engine/trans/rear aren;t making any funny noises. Make sure you test drive it and you should be able to hear/feel any obvious things wrong with it. I'm not talking about this truck specifically, but just buying a cheap used automobile in general.

Oh and always try to talk the down haha, the cheaper the better right?

RIP Basic!!!
NotTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:40 PM #14
F1VENOM

Why would the axle ratio be on the trans? Find the axle tag and Google how to read it if you want to know the rear-end ratio.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:44 PM #15
Kenny_McCormick

Just running it at 70mph and seeing if it doesn't rev to the moon would be a good indicator.
Narrator: [Talking slowly] And this button-down, Oxford-cloth psycho might just snap, and then stalk from office to office with an Armalite AR-10 carbine gas-powered semi-automatic weapon, pumping round after round into colleagues and co-workers. This might be someone you've known for years. Someone very, very close to you.
Kenny_McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote