PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-09-2008, 12:44 PM #1
Nsanepig11
سيخ

has been a member for 10 years
Chinese Olympic Cleanup- Kitty Death Camps

wow, this article is unbelievable. not really just because of the cats, just the length they are willing to go to clean up for the Olympics.
Quote:
Thousands of pet cats in Beijing are being abandoned by their owners and sent to die in secretive government pounds as China mounts an aggressive drive to clean up the capital in preparation for the Olympic Games.

Hundreds of cats a day are being rounded and crammed into cages so small they cannot even turn around.

Then they are trucked to what animal welfare groups describe as death camps on the edges of the city.

The cull comes in the wake of a government campaign warning of the diseases cats carry and ordering residents to help clear the streets of them.
Cat owners, terrified by the disease warning, are dumping their pets in the streets to be picked up by special collection teams.

Paranoia is so intense that six stray cats -including two pregnant females - were beaten to death with sticks by teachers at a Beijing kindergarten, who feared they might pass illnesses to the children.

China's leaders are convinced that animals pose a serious urban health risk and may have contributed to the outbreak of SARS - a deadly respiratory virus - in 2003.

But the crackdown on cats is seen by animal campaigners as just one of a number of extreme measures being taken by communist leaders to ensure that its capital appears clean, green and welcoming during the Olympics.
Polluting factories in and around the city are being ordered to shut down or relocate during the Games to ease Beijing's choking smog and drivers are allowed out on to the roads only three times a week.

Fares on the city's underground network have been cut to just two yuan (14p) for any journey - a six-fold reduction on some routes - to keep people off buses, and beggars and street sleepers are being moved to out-of-town camps or given train fares back to their home provinces.

Meanwhile, taxi drivers have been made to attend lessons in how to greet passengers politely in English and a city-wide courtesy campaign has been launched to teach Beijing's notoriously dour and grumpy citizens how to smile and be pleasant to foreigners.

The cull of Beijing's estimated 500,000 cat population is certain to provoke international outrage as it comes just over a year after the Chinese were criticised for rounding up and killing stray dogs across the country.
Animal welfare groups in China are already protesting, but their members fear punishment from the authorities.

Officials say people can adopt animals from the 12 cat pounds set up around the city, but welfare groups say they are almost impossible to get inside and believe few cats survive.

One cat lovers' group negotiated the release of 30 pets from one of the compounds in Shahe, north-west Beijing, but said they were in such a pitiful condition that half of them died within days of their release.

"These cats are being left to die. It is very inhumane," said the group's founder Yan Qi, who runs a sanctuary for cats.

cat prison

A rescued pet showing clear signs of disease

"People don't want to keep cats in Beijing any more so they abandon them or send them to the compounds.

"When we went inside, we saw about 70 cats being kept in cages stacked one on top of the other in two tiny rooms.

"Disease spreads quickly among them and they die slowly in agony and distress. The government won't even do the cats the kindness of giving them lethal injections when they become sick. They just wait for them to die.

"It is the abandoned pets that suffer the most and die the soonest. They relied so much on their owners that they can't cope with the new environment.

"Most refuse to eat or drink and get sick more quickly than the feral cats."

Ms Yan's group has now been denied access to the pounds. "We do not believe any of the cats that go in there survive," she said. "They are like death camps."

Ms Yan said there was another reason for people abandoning their cats - the 200 yuan (£14) fee they face if they want to have their pets neutered and tagged.

"We have tried to negotiate with the government to stop the round-ups and to introduce cut-price neutering services so that people can afford to keep their pets but they won't listen to us," she said.

"They are not thinking about the cats. They just want to get results in the quickest way possible, by clearing as many cats from the city as they can."

Retired doctor Hu Yuan, 80, runs one of the few remaining refuges for abandoned pets in her ramshackle home in the ancient Long Tou Jing area of Beijing.

She shares her tiny home with 250 abandoned cats and has taken in 70 over the past 12 months alone.

She pays for neutering and food from her pension and donations. She said: "If I don't take them in, the government will kill them.

"People believe what the government tells them and that is why they are abandoning more and more family pets."

She said the problem could be traced back to former president Jiang Zemin for the crackdown.

"He didn't like dogs so he decided to have dogs killed. But there was a bad reaction from the foreign media and they were pressured to stop.

"Now they have stopped killing dogs but the new victims are cats. It is all connected to the Olympics."

Cats are regularly dumped on her doorstep late at night by owners frightened by the government campaign.

"The situation is very bad now," said Ms Hu. "When women get pregnant, the doctor will ask them if they have a cat in the house.

"If they reply Yes, they tell them, 'You must get rid of it, it will be bad for the baby'.

"I keep all the cats in my house and 100 of them sleep in my bedroom at night. I am too frightened to let them out. If they go outside, they will be taken away and killed.

"The government is not telling people the truth. Look at me. I live with them 24 hours a day, seven days a week and I am very healthy."

The round-up has been particularly intense in areas around Olympic venues and in streets and alleys surrounding five-star hotels where guests will stay during the summer games.

Despite the health warnings, the round-up of cats has led to a surge in the number of restaurants in the capital serving cat meat, according to Ms Hu.

She said hundreds of cats were also being sent to Guangzhou in southern China, an area infamous for restaurants that serve meat from cats and dogs and exotic animals such as snakes and tigers.

It was in July last year that district officials were instructed to begin an intense round-up of cats as part of Beijing's pre-Olympics clean-up. Now notices have been put up urging residents to hand in cats.

Welfare groups estimate that tens of thousands have been collected in the past few months.

The Mail on Sunday went to the cat pound in Shahe on the north-western fringes of Beijing but we were repeatedly refused admission.

"No one can come in without official papers," staff shouted from behind padlocked steel gates.

At another, larger compound in Da Niu Fang village, the sound of cats wailing could be clearly heard coming from a cluster of tin-roofed sheds, but workers denied they were holding any cats.

"There are no cats here, go away. No one is allowed inside unless you have official permission," a security guard said.

The killing of the six stray cats at the kindergarten - where staff at a Beijing cigarette factory leave their children - is the most striking illustration of the city-wide fear of cats.

A teacher at the nursery said: "We did it out of love for the children. We were worried the cats might harm them. These six cats had been hanging around the kindergarten looking for food.

"So three male teachers put out plates of tuna in cages for bait, trapped the cats and then beat them to death with sticks.

"We were very worried the children might try to stroke them and that the cats might scratch them or pass on diseases. We had to get rid of the cats and this was the only way to do it."

Christie Yang of the charity Animals Asia, which liaises with the Beijing animal welfare groups, said: "We are seriously concerned.

"We understand that with the Olympic Games the Beijing government is eager to show the world the city in a good light.

"But capturing and dealing with cats in such an inhumane way will seriously tarnish the image of Beijing and the Games."
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...page_id=181 1

EDIT: Some people have asked for an update. this is the latest i can find with new info.
Quote:
Some 500,000 cats are believed to have been culled as part of an overall crackdown by communist leaders to clean up Beijing ahead of the Summer Olympics. The extreme measures have provoked anger among some animal rights groups, who say a similar strategy was used to round up stray dogs across the country.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,336276,00.html
12-28-05 Carl Richie Valentine lll will live forever within' our hearts
Feedback:https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hreadid=864214

Last edited by Nsanepig11 : 03-11-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Nsanepig11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2008, 12:54 PM #2
Haga652001
Night divides the day

Haga652001 is a Supporting Member
well there goes the constant supply of sweet n' sour pork.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:35 PM #3
Paint Freak 98
Front Lean and Rest

Where is PETA...
Paint Freak 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:53 PM #4
drunkkoala

This is a good idea.

Less Cats = Less Stench
drunkkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 02:02 PM #5
m3s0h0rn7

I don't care what anyone says, communism gets things done.

But I do believe, this is the basis of which the apes take over in "Conquest of the Planet of the Apes." But with no dogs, cats or even snakes to defend us, how will we stop this menace:

But really, that's terribly sad.

Remember me as a \/ i L //_ 4 1 /\//...
m3s0h0rn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:15 PM #6
I love Impulses
Brogrammer IV

I love Impulses is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3s0h0rn7 View Post
I don't care what anyone says, communism gets things done.

But I do believe, this is the basis of which the apes take over in "Conquest of the Planet of the Apes." But with no dogs, cats or even snakes to defend us, how will we stop this menace:

But really, that's terribly sad.
No, the threat of ending someone's life in the most terrible way possible gets something done. Far from communism.

I think it's a good thing, except for the whole pests thing. Domesticated/Feral cats are the pound for pound best hunters in the world. Will Beijing suddenly have a huge rat and mouse issue once the cats are gone?

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I love Impulses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 04:43 PM #7
larry_wendel
What?

Who gives a ****?

They're just cats.
Kappa Sigma, OK, #3
larry_wendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:21 PM #8
FluffyMumkins
mluffyfumkins

There are far better ways to clean up China's capitol.

Such as bombing runs.

Also, as Impulse pointed out, the lack of felines will likely introduce a rat and mouse infestation.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
FluffyMumkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:34 PM #9
||IcEs||
kek

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_wendel View Post
Who gives a ****?

They're just cats.
Mass slaughter of a living, breathing creature is nothing to give a **** about?

Please STFU. Thanks.
||IcEs|| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:44 PM #10
careyman_462
Maverick says :tup:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ||IcEs|| View Post
Mass slaughter of a living, breathing creature is nothing to give a **** about?

Please STFU. Thanks.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:44 PM #11
corporationpaintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint Freak 98 View Post
Where is PETA...
They evidently have the anti-Christ of P.E.T.A.
They have P.E.T.A.!

People. Eating. Tasty. Animals.

But (I imagine) cats arn't that great to eat...
corporationpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:48 PM #12
corporationpaintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love Impulses View Post
Will Beijing suddenly have a huge rat and mouse issue once the cats are gone?
Honestly, the Chinease Government isn't known for forward thinking... They are Communist for Christ's sake! They have a Centraly Planned, Authoritarian Economy and have some of the poorest and most corrupt leadership in the world.

Apparently they havent heard that with every action comes an equal and opposite reaction...
corporationpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:01 PM #13
PDXMark
flopy head and beedy eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint Freak 98 View Post
Where is PETA...
People Eat Tasty Animals...They are there helping!

I comend the Chinese on their cleanup, bacteria does it all the time. So what makes us so different?
Old 03-09-2008, 09:18 PM #14
spinny2559
just missed 2k4

spinny2559 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_wendel View Post
Who gives a ****?

They're just cats.
What if they were dogs?
Old 03-09-2008, 09:27 PM #15
bpk1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinny2559 View Post
What if they were dogs?
Didn't they do this to dogs a couple of months ago?
bpk1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:37 PM #16
Danegerous
is dangerous

Danegerous helped look for balloons
Nevar Forget.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:39 PM #17
ClawHammer
Kraft durch Freude

ClawHammer is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by corporationpaintball View Post
But (I imagine) cats arn't that great to eat...
They aren't. Far too chewy and gamey.
ClawHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:44 PM #18
spinny2559
just missed 2k4

spinny2559 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpk1337 View Post
Didn't they do this to dogs a couple of months ago?
Not to my knowledge, I very well may be mistaken though.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:55 PM #19
FluffyMumkins
mluffyfumkins

They killed something like 50,000 dogs in Beijing because a visiting politician was bitten by a rabies infested dog.

I think that was it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
FluffyMumkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:02 PM #20
kfresh
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
The cull of Beijing's estimated 500,000 cat population is certain to provoke international outrage as it comes just over a year after the Chinese were criticised for rounding up and killing stray dogs across the country.
Animal welfare groups in China are already protesting, but their members fear punishment from the authorities.
it says right in the article

1/4 mile 8.71 @ 155mph
kfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:05 PM #21
careyman_462
Maverick says :tup:

What do people think happens when pounds/kennels run out of room here in America? The Chinese are just being harsher on the problem, and more open about it.