Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 11:01 PM #64
Milky Spore
i be illin'.

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballblk13 View Post
You like them Trevor? I was looking at the Smx-5
I love my smx-5s, if that helps you any.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-RADD View Post
Yes its a pre-gen, any reasons for the Muzzy over the slip-on? Who is this duck gentlemen, because I may be interested in that exhaust. I read here:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Muzzy_Exhaust

That theres a slight melting issue with the lower fender, and I'd lose the centerstand. I know absolutely nothing about carbs or jetting them in any way, but they both should be cleaned and rebuilt anyway so now is the time to learn I suppose.
The full system replaces the whole system instead of just the mufflers. Youll spend the same cash for slip ons which offer minimal gains, versus the muzzy full system (which still is only a minimal gain on a ninja 250). It is designed for better flow over stock and the muzzy system will also cut a good amount of weight from the bike over stock. Plus the 2-1 look is much nicer and frees up space on the left side. It may melt your lower fairing, but it does it in a spot you won't be able to see unless you're on the ground looking up. You could just let it melt or make a cut out. Use high temp tape too. My lower fairing already has it in there. You do lose the center stand, yeah. You will absolutely need to rejet. Factory pro offers a kit and has great instructions.

However, I say leave it stock. If you were on the track in a competitive class I could understand wanting to squeeze every pony out you could. But it sounds like you wanna ride on the street. In which case it just makes much more sense to leave it stock. Youll just be causing headaches figuring out the jetting for minimal gain you wont notice or use on the street. Your resale will be higher the more original accessories you have on the bike when you sell it. Nobody wants YOUR upgrades, they want their choice.

Duck is user uglyduckgizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naumoff42 View Post
That makes me feel like i'm getting screwed. I was quoted around $540 for a year for a minimum coverage plan that covered accidents to pay for other peoples stuff and like $1500 in injuries. I'll have to try and call around to some different places.
Like I said, it depends on you as an individual. Insurance is apples to oranges to grapes to coconuts, etc. Nothing is ever the same.

Last edited by Milky Spore : 01-11-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-12-2013, 11:21 AM #65
B-RADD
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Spore View Post
The full system replaces the whole system instead of just the mufflers. You'll spend the same cash for slip ons which offer minimal gains, versus the muzzy full system (which still is only a minimal gain on a ninja 250). It is designed for better flow over stock and the muzzy system will also cut a good amount of weight from the bike over stock. Plus the 2-1 look is much nicer and frees up space on the left side. It may melt your lower fairing, but it does it in a spot you won't be able to see unless you're on the ground looking up. You could just let it melt or make a cut out. Use high temp tape too. My lower fairing already has it in there. You do lose the center stand, yeah. You will absolutely need to rejet. Factory pro offers a kit and has great instructions.

However, I say leave it stock. If you were on the track in a competitive class I could understand wanting to squeeze every pony out you could. But it sounds like you wanna ride on the street. In which case it just makes much more sense to leave it stock. You'll just be causing headaches figuring out the jetting for minimal gain you wont notice or use on the street. Your resale will be higher the more original accessories you have on the bike when you sell it. Nobody wants YOUR upgrades, they want their choice.

Duck is user uglyduckgizmo
Well I was thinking about it the other day, and I make the switch from community college, where I have a decent job and can afford a few nice things, to a university where I most likely wont have a job for the next 2+ years. I will most likely have this bike for at LEAST two, most likely three more years. And if I am keeping it that long, I kind of want to make it the way I want it. Know what I'm saying? The carbs have to come off already as one of them definitely needs a rebuild and I'll probably just rebuild the other for good measure. Since they're already coming out and apart I figure jetting them is something I might as well attempt to do.

I'll be honest, I'm mainly interested in the Muzzy exhaust for the sound and the fact that it looks 10x better than the stock cans. I'm not overly concerned about making the most hp I can with this bike.

I'm not too concerned with resale either since I will have the bike so long, if I was to sell I could return it to stock and eat most of the cost of the parts, and I'd be ok with that.

Thanks for the response
Old 01-12-2013, 11:24 AM #66
Milky Spore
i be illin'.

If you sell the aftermarket stuff separately from the bike when it comes time to sell and buy used parts whenever you can, you will still probably re-coup all/most your money.

Jetting isn't too hard as long as you have a good base to start from, which there are good recommendations on the Factory Pro website. The biggest PITA would be getting the main wrong over and over and having to take the carbs off and put them back on over and over. I've never tried it on my bike, but it looks like the needles can be accessed just by pulling the vacuum caps, so that part should be easy to do. For the fuel mixture screws you're gonna have to get yourself a right angle screwdriver with a long and small flat-head bit. I actually had to grind one of my bits so it would fit in my mixture screws.

Last edited by Milky Spore : 01-12-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:38 PM #67
binaryterror
Static?

binaryterror is a Supporting Member
subbed just to look at that gif once a day

“When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.” – Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-12-2013, 07:36 PM #68
M98custom1212

I get this after my R1 was Stolen. Finally, posting pictures

2006 GSXR 600

OLD FEEDBACK

No Custom Milling Without A Deposit..
Chief Machining

Last edited by M98custom1212 : 01-12-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:17 PM #69
B-RADD
None

Were the ninja 500 rear fairings the same as the 250? I found fender eliminators for the 500 for 50 bucks yet the 250 ones are 100, they look identical.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:10 AM #70
Milky Spore
i be illin'.

Don't buy a fender eliminator. You can make one for $2 out of a piece of roofing plate steel. Well, $10 if you don't have the aircraft tin snips.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:19 AM #71
automagwarrior

automagwarrior has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I'm pretty cheap but purchasing a fender eliminator looks 100x better than a bent up piece of aluminum
Old 01-13-2013, 09:19 AM #72
Milky Spore
i be illin'.

You can't see a fender elim anyways. It's hidden behind the plate lol. Most fender eliminators I've seen for the ninja 250 are just that. A bent plate of aluminum. And if you actually take your time and make nice straight cuts and use a brake for the bends and finish the sharp edges you can make yourself a really nice elim. It makes zero sense to buy an elim for a ninja 250.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:18 AM #73
Naumoff42
Keyboard Warrior

plays in the NXL
Naumoff42 plays in the MiLP
Naumoff42 donated to help Peyton Trent
Naumoff42 supports DLX Technology
What exactly does a fender eliminator do? I've heard of them and tried to look them up but can't seem to find anything.

Let me buy your Philly Luxe

DaLuxe Mob

Old 01-13-2013, 12:09 PM #74
automagwarrior

Depends on the bike. Some bikes it's just a metal bracket that the plate hangs from. Other bikes it moves the signals and replaces the big plastic thing that comes from the factory
Old 01-13-2013, 01:22 PM #75
tex_mania

tex_mania plays in the PSP
tex_mania owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tex_mania supports Team VICIOUS
Might have been a bit too cold to ride up here today...

.... but I up and did it any damn way.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:49 PM #76
automagwarrior

I had plans to ride today. Took one look out the window and went back to bed.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:09 AM #77
Diametunim

Diametunim plays in the MiLP
Diametunim owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Diametunim plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballblk13 View Post
You like them Trevor? I was looking at the Smx-5
Love em.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:58 AM #78
Flyersfan707
Bo$$ hog

Saturday was so beautiful out, went for decent ride. Spring tease.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:46 AM #79
cynicalrider
robert paulson

I made this for my Katana to hold my plate. Nothing but a piece of aluminum angle iron.

Though it did have a bad habit of getting smushed up from the tire hitting it on wheelies:

"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"

ST:A - Not your Myspace Blog.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:53 PM #80
binaryterror
Static?

binaryterror is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicalrider View Post
I made this for my Katana to hold my plate. Nothing but a piece of aluminum angle iron.
wut

“When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.” – Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-14-2013, 05:34 PM #81
UglyDuckGizmo

UglyDuckGizmo owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
nice catch
Old 01-14-2013, 05:40 PM #82
tex_mania

tex_mania plays in the PSP
tex_mania owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tex_mania supports Team VICIOUS
Aluminum angle maybe?
Old 01-14-2013, 09:13 PM #83
4literranger485
xtreme noob

4literranger485 supports Team VICIOUS
4literranger485 supports Empire
it's a new alloy, get with the times.

BTW that doesn't look remotely legal. no license light, bent plate all to whack. me sees fix it tickets in the future
Old 01-14-2013, 09:22 PM #84
Naumoff42
Keyboard Warrior

plays in the NXL
Naumoff42 plays in the MiLP
Naumoff42 donated to help Peyton Trent
Naumoff42 supports DLX Technology
So I got some more support from my parents about getting a bike, to the point that they might help me pay for it to begin with. But one thing my step dad seems to be more worried about is ride height. He thinks that a ninja 250 will be too tall and I'd be better off getting a harley with a lower seat height so I can plant my feet out wider.

I think that i'd be fine on one but I haven't actually sat on one yet so I really don't know I guess. I'm 5' 8~9"

Let me buy your Philly Luxe

DaLuxe Mob

Closed Thread