PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 01-23-2002, 06:39 PM #1
<-={ehnahre}=->

has been a member for 10 years
Question AT85R worth the money?

I'm thinking of buying an ATS AT85R and was wondering if its worth the money? I play alot of recball (I useally don't play speedball) and I'm think this would be great for me but don't know what to expect. Do they break down alot if you keep up with cleaning them? has it ever broken down in the middle of a game? If so was it your fauly or did the gun just brake? I also hear that an AT85R needs alot of maintenance I currently own a Nova 700 and that takes alot of maintenance so I'm used maintenancing my gun so that would not be a problem for me. overall would you recommend this gun?

-Mike
p.s. any help you could give me would be great!!
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-25-2002, 06:57 PM #2
Bocasean

What a coincidence, but I had the same buying pattern for my guns. I bought a Nova, then decided to upgrade to an AT-85. I really enjoy the AT, it's a great marker. If you've never worked on a paintball marker or aren't particularly "handy" with mechanical stuff, then it isn't a gun for you. Before I got into paintball, I never liked to work on mechanical stuff, so it took me a lot of time, research, and practice to learn to take different guns apart. The Nova was the biggest pain in my butt (Actually, I never should've disassembled it to begin with, but I was curious), and the AT was the most detail-oriented. It needs to be oiled every 500 shots or so, and you need to regularly check for bent/broken parts...mainly the Clip pins and Guide Plate. It just takes consistent maintenance, which is a small trade for such a unique marker. However, don't cofuse this detailed maintenance with overly-hard or time-consuming, as it's fairly simple to maintain the gun. IMO

If you are familiar with paintball mechanics, then the AT-85 is a great buy. It has a great muzzle sound, it never breaks paint (at least when I've shot it), and it is one the most consistently accurate markers I've ever seen. There are a few places to buy it online, and you can get it for a good price if you know where to look. Anyway, this is what you need if you decide to buy:

Gun

Clip

Starter Kit (manual,video,etc.)

Extra Forward Loaders (unless you use the VL Clip)

HPA tank: This is very important. The AT needs consistent pressure, both to function at high rates of fire, and to assure that the clip pins feed properly. If tank pressure drops below 650-700 psi (which is very common with CO2, especially in high rates of fire or in cold climates), then the clip may not feed properly and you will bend a pin. This can lead to broken paint, timing problems, etc. I've known people who haved rigged nails to replace bent/broken pins, but to me, it's over at that point. It's like $70 to get a new clip.

Secondary Reg (maybe, but not a necessity) The AT-85 functions best from 650 psi to 850 psi, so many preset tank regs will provide the appropriate pressure. A second reg allows you to fine tune your gun to your specifications.

I hope this helps.

Sean Rutan
UnitedPaintball
http://www.unitedpaintball.com/
Old 02-26-2002, 11:53 PM #3
<-={ehnahre}=->

Thank you!

Thank you for taking the time to post such a detailed reply!
Thank you,
-Mike
Old 02-27-2002, 01:11 PM #4
Bocasean

No problem. Let me know if you need anything else. We're currently updating the ATS presentations on our site, so I'll let you know when we finish. We're going to add upgrade packages, some simple mods, and improve upon the explanations of the AT-85 and 10.

Later
Sean
Old 02-27-2002, 01:36 PM #5
<-={ehnahre}=->

sweet defiantly let me know!!
-Mike
Old 02-28-2002, 06:56 PM #6
Lt. Whiting

It's a nice gun for me.

As soon as I played my first game, I was hooked. Duh. I wanted to be recon ever since. Like an idiot, I went out and got this thing. It was a stupid uninformed move. Luckily, It was a good move. Very dependable, never breaks unless you don't know what you're doing. It took some research, but I finally understand everything on my gun. If you are neat and professional with your playing, then get it. If you're a slob who loves rate of fire, get en E-mag. This thing only spews about 9 rds/s for me. Anybody know how to make it faster?
Old 03-01-2002, 11:59 AM #7
Bocasean

ATS offers a trigger job that will increase semi-auto speed. If you already have that, all you can do is work on your finger speed. I top out around 10 or 11 bps, and I can't keep that up for very long. Heck, 9bps is nothing to sneeze at anyways.

Later

Sean Rutan
UnitedPaintball
http://www.unitedpaintball.com
Old 04-10-2002, 06:14 PM #8
Bocasean

We added some stuff to our AT-85 presentation, if you want to check them out. The video is giving me problems, but I'm working on a solution.

Later
Sean
Old 11-04-2002, 12:16 PM #9
vwgolfa3

hust to let you know your at-85 combo with Hpa is the best buy on the net