Old 01-24-2014, 01:23 PM #127
Umami
Hitmanimal

Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBOldTimer View Post
Care to explain why?
Any property owner has the right to tell you that you can't carry on their property. Universities (even state funded Universities) are not the government and are not Constitutionally obligated to allow you to carry on their property.

Violence on campuses isn't a big problem, and it would interfere with maintaining a learning environment for a lot of students.

No point.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-24-2014, 01:23 PM #128
PBOldTimer
Yeah, I'm that Ref

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
So people don't even have to go through a basic competency course to carry a gun? Brilliant. Active shooter situation and everyone's got a gun strapped to their hip, that'll calm things down. That's one of the reasons cited against allowing guns on campus is there's no easy way to separate people out.

It's part of the uniform and not all police open carry.
People don't have to go through any basic competency course to enjoy any other rights... so why cherry pick the 2nd Amendment? And if your answer to this is based on what people might do if they are armed, then I'll argue that your fears aren't a basis for a valid argument to infringe on someone's rights.

And I'll disagree with your opinion that a gun is part of a police officer's uniform. It's a tool, not an article of clothing.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:31 PM #129
F1VENOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami View Post
Any property owner has the right to tell you that you can't carry on their property. Universities (even state funded Universities) are not the government and are not Constitutionally obligated to allow you to carry on their property.

Quote:
People don't have to go through any basic competency course to enjoy any other rights... so why cherry pick the 2nd Amendment? And if your answer to this is based on what people might do if they are armed, then I'll argue that your fears aren't a basis for a valid argument to infringe on someone's rights.

And I'll disagree with your opinion that a gun is part of a police officer's uniform. It's a tool, not an article of clothing.
Where in the 2nd does it say anything about carrying said firearm? It says you have the right to own them and leaves the rest up to the states. Give that bull**** a rest.

As for infringing on someone's rights, read what Umami posted.

Who said anything about being an article of clothing? Weren't you a Marine? You should know all about uniform regulations.
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:52 PM #130
PBOldTimer
Yeah, I'm that Ref

Quote:
Where in the 2nd does it say anything about carrying said firearm? It says you have the right to own them and leaves the rest up to the states. Give that bull**** a rest.

As for infringing on someone's rights, read what Umami posted.

Who said anything about being an article of clothing? Weren't you a Marine? You should know all about uniform regulations.
The 2nd Amendment doesn't say you have the right to own firearms... it says you have the right to keep and bear arms. "To bear," according to Webster's, means "to carry." If I come bearing gifts, it means that I currently have them in my possession, not just simply own them.

You are right, however, with regard to a University being private property. And the owner or manager of private property can insist on a no-weapons policy. That's about the best argument I've heard yet.

And, yes, I was a Marine. I can tell you with certainty that no Marine will ever refer to his/her weapon as part of their uniform. My rifle was a tool.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:00 PM #131
F1VENOM

Quote:
The 2nd Amendment doesn't say you have the right to own firearms... it says you have the right to keep and bear arms. "To bear," according to Webster's, means "to carry." If I come bearing gifts, it means that I currently have them in my possession, not just simply own them.

You are right, however, with regard to a University being private property. And the owner or manager of private property can insist on a no-weapons policy. That's about the best argument I've heard yet.

And, yes, I was a Marine. I can tell you with certainty that no Marine will ever refer to his/her weapon as part of their uniform. My rifle was a tool.
Now you're just digressing this into a gun rights discussion which it's not. We're debating open vs concealed carry and so far you've not presented a case for, you've just shoot down my points. I don't know why you'd be for open carrying of arms as there's no benefit that I can see. No, I don't consider less licensing a benefit.

You're being too literal and again, not all officers open carry.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:18 PM #132
PBOldTimer
Yeah, I'm that Ref

This is where you and I will have to differ. I see no benefit for concealed carry. If you're armed... have it in the open. It will show would-be aggressors that you can and will fight back.

Personally, I don't have a conceal carry permit. But I open carry almost everywhere I go.

As for not all cops open carrying... again you correct, but I would say that the overwhelming vast majority of uniformed officers do open carry. Now ask yourself, why do those cops open carry if it has no benefit?
Old 01-24-2014, 02:26 PM #133
F1VENOM

Quote:
This is where you and I will have to differ. I see no benefit for concealed carry. If you're armed... have it in the open. It will show would-be aggressors that you can and will fight back.

Personally, I don't have a conceal carry permit. But I open carry almost everywhere I go.

As for not all cops open carrying... again you correct, but I would say that the overwhelming vast majority of uniformed officers do open carry. Now ask yourself, why do those cops open carry if it has no benefit?
You sound like a guy who goes around thumping his chest and talking ****. There's no reason to advertise at all as it's there in case of an emergency, not to make a statement. I'd rather no one know as it gives you the advantage and allows you to blend in. Open carry draws attention and that's exactly what I don't want. There are enough distractions and chest thumping that goes on in college, the last thing I'd want are more exposed distractions. You're also forgetting that colleges house and service people from outside of this country who may not be nearly as comfortable with weapons as you and I.

It's part of the uniform, as I said. It's actually a bit of a detriment as police have to go through all that weapon retention training and use specialty holsters to prevent their guns being used against them.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:16 PM #134
mnp8nt
There is only Zuul

mnp8nt supports Team VICIOUS
mnp8nt is an NCPA player
mnp8nt is Legendary
mnp8nt owns a Planet Eclipse CSR
Quote:
We're debating open vs concealed carry and so far you've not presented a case for, you've just shoot down my points.
Because the thread topic is concealed carry not open carry. Stay on-topic, least he wouldn't have to address your points.
Quote:
I strongly disagree that higher education is not a part of the government. Rhetorically state funded Universities derive their power from the State Constitution. Several Land grant institutions operate with independent police powers, taxation, capital improvements, health and emergency services (take for example the University of Michigan or University of Minnesota as examples).
Quote:
Violence on campuses isn't a big problem, and it would interfere with maintaining a learning environment for a lot of students.
Where you draw the line between open and concealed carry is a matter of rhetoric. For example, I also strongly disagree that violence is not a big problem on university campuses. As a recent example, there have been a (high) number of crimes committed on the University of Minnesota campus to the point where the Governor has allotted additional funding for more armed police officers and 'improvements' to the lighting, emergencies phones etc. In urban environments violence does not stop at the campus boundaries. At times it even walks right into the front door and robs students at knife/gunpoint.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:41 AM #135
PBOldTimer
Yeah, I'm that Ref

Quote:
You sound like a guy who goes around thumping his chest and talking ****. There's no reason to advertise at all as it's there in case of an emergency, not to make a statement. I'd rather no one know as it gives you the advantage and allows you to blend in. Open carry draws attention and that's exactly what I don't want. There are enough distractions and chest thumping that goes on in college, the last thing I'd want are more exposed distractions. You're also forgetting that colleges house and service people from outside of this country who may not be nearly as comfortable with weapons as you and I.
The bolded parts of your statement are weak as hell.

Fire extinguishers are there in case of an emergency as well, are you suggesting that they be concealed? Of course not.

I couldn't care less about foreigners housed at a college. If your right to free speech offends them, shall the university do away with the 1st Amendment? Of course not.

You still haven't answered my question. If open carry is so aweful, then why do the vast majority of police officers open carry? Hint: it is NOT part of their uniform. It is a tool.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:55 PM #136
eforce
Factory PB

eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Purdue student here. After seeing how little police did to protect the students, and the pictures floating around social media, some of which from people I know, I'm in absolute agreement with concealed carry (NOT open carry) on campus if proper training is a prerequisite for it.

Had this shooting occurred a few weeks earlier in the previous semester when I had class in that building, I probably would have found myself standing within 15 feet of the shooter. If you've never been to the EE building, all you need to know is there are large laboratories with 30+ students in each room and only one way out and nowhere to hide. If this were an active shooter situation, there would have easily been 100 dead in a matter of minutes, and not one person would be permitted by law to protect themselves. This is absolutely unacceptable.
eforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:55 AM #137
Burninator
Mega Moderator

Burninator is a Mega Moderator
Burninator is a Supporting Member
Burninator is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Burninator has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
Burninator is Legendary
I already said this but I guess it needs to be said again. The police are under no obligation to protect you. Police also don't carry a weapon to protect you, they carry a weapon to protect themselves. Prime example is a hostage situation. Point a gun at the hostages and the cops are concerned, point a gun at the cops and you are full of holes.

As far as concealed versus open. Concealed gives the opportunity to surprise, open carry makes gun shy people squeamish. The only person who benefits from open carry is a would be attacker, now they know exactly what part of you to suppress to stop you from defending yourself.

Lastly, public universities are funded by the state and the state makes rules and regulations for the state property. So if the state passes allow that carry on campus is allowed and the university board has no say, then it's legal. When they were trying to pass it in Texas they were giving the board that governs each university the option of refusing.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:41 PM #138
Luke ????
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Luke ???? plays in the APPA beginner division
Luke ???? supports DLX Technology
Luke ???? supports Ninja Paintball
Concealed carry on campus shouldn't be up for debate since it is a constitutional right. (Being able to and knowing how to protect yourself and others I think are necessary skills/knowledge.)

I would also open the option for concealed carry to faculty and staff.
In regards to students, I would require notification to admin through phone call/email if a student chooses to carry open or concealed.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:47 PM #139
KnightsPaintball
Mint Standard Studios

With Boise State passing their new guns on campus law I love it, means I can protect myself even on campus when I'm there.

http://www.mintstandardstudios.com
KnightsPaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:47 PM #140
PBFeZ

PBFeZ is a Paintball photographer
Earlier in the thread, someone mentioned that in Illinois, it's 21 to concealed carry (and a class, background check, etc.), but regardless, it is illegal to carry on any college campus.

Here's my problem: I go to Illinois Tech, a school on the south side of Chicago. Our "campus" is a few city blocks, with no barriers to access, so the general public can (and does) walk around our campus (and occasionally use our facilities, even though they're not supposed to). There have been multiple incidents where students are robbed at knife point, one instance at gun point and a shooting across the street from campus (all happened 2013-2014 school year).

I live a few blocks off campus, and walk to and from class, sometimes late at night. Why am I not allowed to carry to campus (and thus, home from campus) even if I had a concealed carry permit (I don't at the moment, but say I did)?
PBFeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:32 AM #141
Barbara_Walters
God is good

Barbara_Walters plays in the PSP
Barbara_Walters supports Cereal Killerz 2
Barbara_Walters helped look for balloons
Barbara_Walters is an NCPA player
#1 of a gun fight: Bring a gun.
Barbara_Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:20 AM #142
BenderBR
OPEC ****ed up

I support all forms of carrying because I'm not a limp dick *****. I can argue more eloquently but god I don't care what other people think about it.

"Originally posted by Kellster: Crow takes so good. Om nom nom."

Never miss a good opportunity to shut up.

Texas über alles.
BenderBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:34 AM #143
Helpup81
HOOLIGANS PAINTBALL

Helpup81 is playing at Living Legends X
Helpup81 owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
Helpup81 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenderBR View Post
I support all forms of carrying because I'm not a limp dick *****. I can argue more eloquently but god I don't care what other people think about it.
I have been known to be a "limp dick *****" and I also support all forms of carry.
Helpup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:33 AM #144
gatorsnrams28

plays in the NXL
gatorsnrams28 is an NCPA National Champion
gatorsnrams28 plays in the APPA D4 division
Just curious, has anyone's opinions changed since the shooting at that Oregon community college?

CEP Paintball

University of Tennessee Paintball Alumni

Liberty University Paintball #6 - 2018 National Champ
gatorsnrams28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:29 AM #145
ProtoBaller1991
Come to VLN my child

ProtoBaller1991 donated to help Peyton Trent
ProtoBaller1991 supports Team VICIOUS
ProtoBaller1991 supports Team VICIOUS
ProtoBaller1991 posts videos on PbNation
jesus christ I was a ****ing retard when I posted in this thread. Why didn't you guys kick my ***?

Instagram
ProtoBaller1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:27 AM #146
noonagon

noonagon is a founding member
noonagon has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
noonagon supports DLX Technology
noonagon supports Ninja Paintball
Its a right, not a "if he gets classes on how to use it" clause. I support campus carry by concealed carriers, open carry might be a bit much for the snowflakes.

Its not so much the campus incident id be worried about as a carrier, its the stop at the gas station or 7/11 on the way home.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:15 PM #147
unkle_tony

pro, although open carry is a bit much
unkle_tony is offline   Reply With Quote