PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-23-2012, 02:15 AM #64
poomanchew
coming in hot

has been a member for 10 years
poomanchew posts videos on PbNation
im not in a frat but a lot of my friends are which is honestly better because i get to go to all the parties and stuff like that but i dont get called a douche all the time i just linger in the back and pick up girls that think im in a frat lol.
AC:417
G.I. Kick'n Planet Eclipse Yip!
AC:402.com
poomanchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-23-2012, 03:04 AM #65
VETERANwalkON
you and your rope

Old 02-23-2012, 11:49 AM #66
eforce
Factory PB

eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuMaC View Post
do you think it hurts my chances being a commuter?
It probably won't affect your odds of receiving a bid, but it could make things difficult for you in the event of last minute texts, a la "be at the house in the next 30 minutes" and such.
eforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:55 PM #67
mike45thab
Louisiana Refugee

mike45thab plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by eforce View Post
It probably won't affect your odds of receiving a bid, but it could make things difficult for you in the event of last minute texts, a la "be at the house in the next 30 minutes" and such.
That's what I was going to say, plan on crashing at your pledge brothers place multiple nights of the week.

My FeedBack
mike45thab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:21 PM #68
SuMaC

SuMaC owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
SuMaC has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
SuMaC has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
yea im not even 15 minutes away from school. it would be semi annoying having to drive back and forth.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:27 PM #69
mike45thab
Louisiana Refugee

I wouldn't even consider that a commute. You just live off campus.

My FeedBack
Old 02-23-2012, 07:19 PM #70
SuMaC

SuMaC owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
SuMaC has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
SuMaC has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ha well im still about 10 miles away but its pretty much one road all the way there
Old 02-25-2012, 03:02 PM #71
eforce
Factory PB

eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike45thab View Post
That's what I was going to say, plan on crashing at your pledge brothers place multiple nights of the week.
This. It's alright - as long as you get your work done it will bring you closer with your pledge class since you'll more or less live with them as a pledge.
eforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:02 PM #72
corporationpaintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenderBR View Post
Frats are generally loathed by most everyone. Youll be "those guys" faster than you can snap your fingers. Lets all dress the same, act the same, get stupid drunk at bars and wind up bleeding on the steet. Its paying for bros. I mean friends.
This post is old but I thought I should address it. "Frat" guys are defined by a minority, not the majority. Sure, some fit the stereotype but it doesn't help when people say things like that because it just furthers the image.

I have 3 older brothers and two older sisters, two brothers were in frats and one sister was in a sorority. Two had great experiences and are still close with their houses, but one had a horrible experience. He was forced, while sick, to jump into a hole his brothers cut in an iced over lake in mid-winter. He was hospitalized for two weeks after the event and that chapter was closed down the next day and are permanently banned from that campus.

Good and bad things happen with the greek system, however, the good outweigh the bad. My school has a ban on greek housing and I wouldn't fit in with frat life myself, however, I don't hate it. It all boils down to which frat you are in and more so to each individual chapter as well as you yourself. Blaming everything on the system is wrong, the blame should be placed on the individuals who cause the issue, not the entire group.

Just my opinion, take it as you will.
corporationpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:02 PM #73
impygimpy247
i dont like rap

impygimpy247 plays in the PSP
impygimpy247 plays in the MiLP
impygimpy247 plays in the APPA D4 division
Depends if you want to experience college to the fullest or not. Im alum now but we are all going down for our annual fraternity golf tournament next weekend. Even after college you still keep in touch with the ones you were really close with.
impygimpy247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:04 PM #74
MVPaintballer
Mega Flagellator

MVPaintballer is a Moderator
MVPaintballer is a Supporting Member
MVPaintballer donated to help Peyton Trent
MVPaintballer supports Bob Gurnsey
Quote:
Originally Posted by impygimpy247 View Post
Depends if you want to experience college to the fullest or not.
That's sort of subjective... isn't it?

The one thing I know about frats:

Anyone in a frat I've ever talked to never regretted doing it.

Last edited by MVPaintballer : 02-26-2012 at 10:09 PM.
MVPaintballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:41 AM #75
MuSt@f@55
PBR, Drink It Ya A$$hole

MuSt@f@55 supports Team VICIOUS
MuSt@f@55 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
MuSt@f@55 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
When my brother passed away two months ago, all of my brothers attended his viewing and paid respects to my family. They had never met my parents or my brother, but that's what a brotherhood does and I'm glad I'm apart of it.

Every year Penn State holds the largest Panhellic Dance Marathon (Thon) to help fight children's cancer. Even with the whole Sandusky trial and everything going on with the Penn State Football Program, we still came together to raise 10 million dollars( the same amount as last year). The point of the story: ATO was lead money raiser, raising over a couple hundred thousand dollars. Out of the top 10 organizations raising money for Thon, seven of those were Greek.

I'm glad I'm apart of greek life and it's like what MVPaintball said above "Anyone in a frat I've ever talked to never regretted doing it." I regret I didn't rush my freshman year instead of my sophmore year.

Baby I'm crazy, a crazy baby a sick infant born with intent to spit slick sentences with sick penmanship

Penn State University

Last edited by MuSt@f@55 : 03-03-2012 at 07:44 AM.
MuSt@f@55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:23 AM #76
EvanMcCann

EvanMcCann plays in the PSP
EvanMcCann is an NCPA player
EvanMcCann plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuSt@f@55 View Post
Every year Penn State holds the largest Panhellic Dance Marathon (Thon) to help fight children's cancer. Even with the whole Sandusky trial and everything going on with the Penn State Football Program, we still came together to raise 10 million dollars( the same amount as last year). The point of the story: ATO was lead money raiser, raising over a couple hundred thousand dollars. Out of the top 10 organizations raising money for Thon, seven of those were Greek.
Great point. Right around the time DM rolls around here at ISU, greek land is a sea of teal.

To touch on school and community service, most Greek houses require a minimum number of service hours (ours is 12 a semester) as well as a minimum cumulative and semester GPA. If we truly didn't care about school or bettering the community, we wouldn't have joined our respective houses. When you add up the number of service hours completed by all 15 CPC houses and the 29 IFC houses, it kind of puts things into perspective. Yes, our houses do compete with one another to win events like Greek Week and Homecoming and some of the points awarding events are things like blood drive, relay for life, can collection, and overall community service hours, but that rivalry between pairings only does more to help the community.

As far as our partying habits go, yes, we rage really ****ing hard. However, if that was all we did then none of us would still be in school, let alone have some of the highest GPAs and most influential positions on campus.

Just because all of you guys talking trash think that we think we're better than you, doesn't mean we do. Everyone makes their own life choices, and we're damn proud of the one we made.
IOWA STATE CYCLONES #420
Tau Kappa Epsilon - Epsilon Chapter
PLANET ECLIPSE GUERRILLA AIR

Break Necks. Cash Checks. Have Sex
EvanMcCann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:28 PM #77
mike45thab
Louisiana Refugee

My chapter requires 35 hrs of community service and $100 per man raised for charity each semester. We always do way more.

My FeedBack
Old 04-02-2012, 01:14 AM #78
diablodow
The fluffy snake player

diablodow supports Cereal Killerz 2
diablodow is for the Gunfight
Each semester our house has mandatory hours of community service and makes going to philanthropy events mandatory. We also host our own events to raise money for our charity of choice. We support the local homeless shelter and volunteer there twice a semester on top of other things. Philanthropy events can be anything from a dodgeball tournament to a grilled cheese feed, these have consistently raised over 1500 dollars for each charity. Considering our schools low population that's pretty decent. Its interesting how the Greeks in this thread have spoken with much more poise and knowledge compared to a good amount of the non Greeks.
diablodow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:20 PM #79
ArchAngelIon
I run a field now

ArchAngelIon plays in the PSP
ArchAngelIon helped look for balloons
ArchAngelIon posts videos on PbNation
ArchAngelIon is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
The biggest bull**** about the frats is how they destroy paintball players.

We have a very talented player at our school from one of the top AXBL teams. He played 2 points and just went over to the side of the field and vomited everywhere.

He can never afford paintball because all of his parents money goes to paying for attorneys to cover his *** for drinking tickets and

rape charges.

maybe

Eforce is in a frat because he likes ****ty women, you should have seen him macking on girls in North Chicago. If you want the max amount of ****s in college go greek. There are huge drawbacks, and ****s can be achieved with increased effort outside of greek life.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:29 PM #80
EvanMcCann

EvanMcCann plays in the PSP
EvanMcCann is an NCPA player
EvanMcCann plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchAngelIon View Post
The biggest bull**** about the frats is how they destroy paintball players.

We have a very talented player at our school from one of the top AXBL teams. He played 2 points and just went over to the side of the field and vomited everywhere.

He can never afford paintball because all of his parents money goes to paying for attorneys to cover his *** for drinking tickets and

rape charges.

maybe

Eforce is in a frat because he likes ****ty women, you should have seen him macking on girls in North Chicago. If you want the max amount of ****s in college go greek. There are huge drawbacks, and ****s can be achieved with increased effort outside of greek life.

You mad bro?
IOWA STATE CYCLONES #420
Tau Kappa Epsilon - Epsilon Chapter
PLANET ECLIPSE GUERRILLA AIR

Break Necks. Cash Checks. Have Sex
EvanMcCann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:20 PM #81
mike45thab
Louisiana Refugee

That guy is for sure mad. Paintball is a fun hobby, fratting is a life style.

My FeedBack
Old 04-26-2012, 05:50 PM #82
EastCoastPB
Shoot to Kill.

EastCoastPB is playing at Living Legends III
EastCoastPB is playing at Living Legends V
EastCoastPB owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
EastCoastPB supports Team VICIOUS
All I have to say to resolve this is a quote I heard while pledging that stuck with me.
"From the outside looking in, you can't understand it. From the inside looking out, you can't explain it."
SIGMA NU
Eta Gamma 1219
EastCoastPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:10 PM #83
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See

Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
Soul06 supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastPB View Post
All I have to say to resolve this is a quote I heard while pledging that stuck with me.
"From the outside looking in, you can't understand it. From the inside looking out, you can't explain it."
Thats a very good quote

Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA - SC Village, CA

Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:33 PM #84
chodeyg
sprezzatura

im independent, but i know a lot of guys in fraternities and a lot of them are genuine, cool people. many of them don't even rock the polo shirt/boat shoes combo. so i'd say its pretty unfair to stereotype the people that are in them.

on the other hand, ive found that the "myth" of not hearing from people in a fraternity/sorority once they join is totally true.